Don't tell me how hard you work. Tell me how much you get done. -- James J. Ling

computers / alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt / Re: questions about speakers

SubjectAuthor
* questions about speakersYes
+* Re: questions about speakersBob F
|`* Re: questions about speakersYes
| +* Re: questions about speakersBob F
| |`* Re: questions about speakersYes
| | `- Re: questions about speakersBill
| `- Re: questions about speakersPaul
`* Re: questions about speakersVanguardLH
 `* Re: questions about speakersYes
  +* Re: questions about speakersBill
  |+* Re: questions about speakersYes
  ||`- Re: questions about speakersBill
  |`* Re: questions about speakersYes
  | +* Re: questions about speakersRene Lamontagne
  | |`* Re: questions about speakersPaul
  | | `* Re: questions about speakersRene Lamontagne
  | |  `- Re: questions about speakersPaul
  | `* Re: questions about speakersVanguardLH
  |  `* Re: questions about speakersRene Lamontagne
  |   `- Re: questions about speakerslew
  +* Re: questions about speakersBob F
  |`- Re: questions about speakersYes
  `* Re: questions about speakersVanguardLH
   `- Re: questions about speakersYes

1
questions about speakers

<sm90il$jl9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=555&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#555

From: noo...@invalid.invalid.com (Yes)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: questions about speakers
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 16:57:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Yes - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 16:57 UTC

Recently, the cable connecting my speakers (a set of speakers and
powered bass speaker) to the audio connector on the rear of the mobo
has started giving me problems. The sound drops out, and I have to
slightly rotate the part of the cable that plugs into the mobo audio
connector to restore the sound. The cable from the speakers is
hard-wired as part of the speaker set, meaning that I would have to
replace the speakers, not just a cable.

I haven't dealt with this type of problem before. I'm wondering if the
issue is with the cable or if it has to do with the audio connector
that is part of the mobo? I'm inclined to replace the speakers with
new ones just because of the age of the current set.

If I do, should I go for a wired connection between the mobo and the
speakers or for a wi-fi or bluetooth alternative? If I went the
wireless route, that should side-step the issue about the audio
connector on the rear of the mobo, but Is there any noticeable
difference listening to a speaker system connected using
wi-fi/bluetooth compared to those that use wired connections? I seem
to recal that when the tech of connecting a sound system using wireless
media was first introduced people were complaining that the sounds
were not in sync with the action on the monitor and therefore had a
detrimental effect for the overall enjoyment when watching something.

John

Re: questions about speakers

<sm92jv$rt0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=556&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#556

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: questions about speakers
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 09:32:45 -0800
 by: Bob F - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 17:32 UTC

On 11/7/2021 8:57 AM, Yes wrote:
> Recently, the cable connecting my speakers (a set of speakers and
> powered bass speaker) to the audio connector on the rear of the mobo
> has started giving me problems. The sound drops out, and I have to
> slightly rotate the part of the cable that plugs into the mobo audio
> connector to restore the sound. The cable from the speakers is
> hard-wired as part of the speaker set, meaning that I would have to
> replace the speakers, not just a cable.
>
> I haven't dealt with this type of problem before. I'm wondering if the
> issue is with the cable or if it has to do with the audio connector
> that is part of the mobo? I'm inclined to replace the speakers with
> new ones just because of the age of the current set.
>
> If I do, should I go for a wired connection between the mobo and the
> speakers or for a wi-fi or bluetooth alternative? If I went the
> wireless route, that should side-step the issue about the audio
> connector on the rear of the mobo, but Is there any noticeable
> difference listening to a speaker system connected using
> wi-fi/bluetooth compared to those that use wired connections? I seem
> to recal that when the tech of connecting a sound system using wireless
> media was first introduced people were complaining that the sounds
> were not in sync with the action on the monitor and therefore had a
> detrimental effect for the overall enjoyment when watching something.
>
> John

It is most likely that the problem is with the wire going into the plug
that goes into the motherboard. try holding the connector very still in
the motherboard jack, and gently flexing the wire where it joins the
plug. If the problem comes and goes, that is likely where the problem
is. Rotating the plug probably flexes the wire the same way. If this is
your problem, the solution is to either replace the plug on that cable
(requires soldering) or perhaps taping the wire into a position it works
for as long as that works.

If the jack is the problem, you could try a front panel audio jack, or
an additional adapter plugged into the motherboard "front panel audio"
connector inside the PC. Or, perhaps use a short audio extension cord
what would have a slightly different fit into the motherboard jack.

Re: questions about speakers

<sm96eu$7cg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=557&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#557

From: noo...@invalid.invalid.com (Yes)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 18:38:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Yes - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 18:38 UTC

Bob F wrote:

> On 11/7/2021 8:57 AM, Yes wrote:
> > Recently, the cable connecting my speakers (a set of speakers and
> > powered bass speaker) to the audio connector on the rear of the mobo
> > has started giving me problems. The sound drops out, and I have to
> > slightly rotate the part of the cable that plugs into the mobo audio
> > connector to restore the sound. The cable from the speakers is
> > hard-wired as part of the speaker set, meaning that I would have to
> > replace the speakers, not just a cable.
> >
> > I haven't dealt with this type of problem before. I'm wondering if
> > the issue is with the cable or if it has to do with the audio
> > connector that is part of the mobo? I'm inclined to replace the
> > speakers with new ones just because of the age of the current set.
> >
> > If I do, should I go for a wired connection between the mobo and the
> > speakers or for a wi-fi or bluetooth alternative? If I went the
> > wireless route, that should side-step the issue about the audio
> > connector on the rear of the mobo, but Is there any noticeable
> > difference listening to a speaker system connected using
> > wi-fi/bluetooth compared to those that use wired connections? I
> > seem to recal that when the tech of connecting a sound system using
> > wireless media was first introduced people were complaining that
> > the sounds were not in sync with the action on the monitor and
> > therefore had a detrimental effect for the overall enjoyment when
> > watching something.
> >
> > John
> >

> It is most likely that the problem is with the wire going into the
> plug that goes into the motherboard. try holding the connector very
> still in the motherboard jack, and gently flexing the wire where it
> joins the plug. If the problem comes and goes, that is likely where
> the problem is. Rotating the plug probably flexes the wire the same
> way. If this is your problem, the solution is to either replace the
> plug on that cable (requires soldering) or perhaps taping the wire
> into a position it works for as long as that works.
>
> If the jack is the problem, you could try a front panel audio jack,
> or an additional adapter plugged into the motherboard "front panel
> audio" connector inside the PC. Or, perhaps use a short audio
> extension cord what would have a slightly different fit into the
> motherboard jack.

Thanks. I think old age is what has caused the problem with the wire.
I thought about plugging the wire from the speaker into the front panel
audio but worried that that might short out the mobo. Given the
speakers age, even though they still work, it might be time for me to
invest in a new set using a wireless option (wi-fi or bluetooth) to
sidestep the question of a physical problem on the audio connector that
is part of the mobo.

John

Re: questions about speakers

<sm98na$esg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=558&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#558

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 11:16:56 -0800
 by: Bob F - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 19:16 UTC

On 11/7/2021 10:38 AM, Yes wrote:
> Bob F wrote:
>
>> On 11/7/2021 8:57 AM, Yes wrote:
>>> Recently, the cable connecting my speakers (a set of speakers and
>>> powered bass speaker) to the audio connector on the rear of the mobo
>>> has started giving me problems. The sound drops out, and I have to
>>> slightly rotate the part of the cable that plugs into the mobo audio
>>> connector to restore the sound. The cable from the speakers is
>>> hard-wired as part of the speaker set, meaning that I would have to
>>> replace the speakers, not just a cable.
>>>
>>> I haven't dealt with this type of problem before. I'm wondering if
>>> the issue is with the cable or if it has to do with the audio
>>> connector that is part of the mobo? I'm inclined to replace the
>>> speakers with new ones just because of the age of the current set.
>>>
>>> If I do, should I go for a wired connection between the mobo and the
>>> speakers or for a wi-fi or bluetooth alternative? If I went the
>>> wireless route, that should side-step the issue about the audio
>>> connector on the rear of the mobo, but Is there any noticeable
>>> difference listening to a speaker system connected using
>>> wi-fi/bluetooth compared to those that use wired connections? I
>>> seem to recal that when the tech of connecting a sound system using
>>> wireless media was first introduced people were complaining that
>>> the sounds were not in sync with the action on the monitor and
>>> therefore had a detrimental effect for the overall enjoyment when
>>> watching something.
>>>
>>> John
>>>

>> It is most likely that the problem is with the wire going into the
>> plug that goes into the motherboard. try holding the connector very
>> still in the motherboard jack, and gently flexing the wire where it
>> joins the plug. If the problem comes and goes, that is likely where
>> the problem is. Rotating the plug probably flexes the wire the same
>> way. If this is your problem, the solution is to either replace the
>> plug on that cable (requires soldering) or perhaps taping the wire
>> into a position it works for as long as that works.
>>
>> If the jack is the problem, you could try a front panel audio jack,
>> or an additional adapter plugged into the motherboard "front panel
>> audio" connector inside the PC. Or, perhaps use a short audio
>> extension cord what would have a slightly different fit into the
>> motherboard jack.
>
> Thanks. I think old age is what has caused the problem with the wire.
> I thought about plugging the wire from the speaker into the front panel
> audio but worried that that might short out the mobo. Given the
> speakers age, even though they still work, it might be time for me to
> invest in a new set using a wireless option (wi-fi or bluetooth) to
> sidestep the question of a physical problem on the audio connector that
> is part of the mobo.
>
> John

Why would using the front jack short out the board? They put it there to
be used. The chances are, it will have the same problem there though,
because the likely problem is the wire connection at the plug, although
that usually would affect one channel or the other not both. That
suggests the ground connection is the problem. You could try touching a
wire to the computer case on one end and the metal housing around a jack
on the back of the speaker when the problem is occurring and see if that
makes it work.

Re: questions about speakers

<1cmi9359y3px3.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=559&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#559

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 13:32:07 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 19:32 UTC

Yes <noone@invalid.invalid.com> wrote:

> Recently, the cable connecting my speakers (a set of speakers and
> powered bass speaker) to the audio connector on the rear of the mobo
> has started giving me problems. The sound drops out, and I have to
> slightly rotate the part of the cable that plugs into the mobo audio
> connector to restore the sound. The cable from the speakers is
> hard-wired as part of the speaker set, meaning that I would have to
> replace the speakers, not just a cable.
>
> I haven't dealt with this type of problem before. I'm wondering if the
> issue is with the cable or if it has to do with the audio connector
> that is part of the mobo? I'm inclined to replace the speakers with
> new ones just because of the age of the current set.

Unless you get gold plated connectors, they WILL oxidize. You have to
rotate them many times to scrape off the oxide. Gold doesn't oxidize.

In fact, and because I rarely use my stereo, I rotate or slide all the
controls over their full range. Often these moving controls don't move
once set, and there can develop a bad spot at the constant contact (for
volume, you may hear a sudden change instead of a smooth change at the
bad spot). Rotating or sliding rubs the contacts to clean them. While
playing something, rotate or slide all contacts and controls until the
scratchiness disappears.

If you move the speakers a lot, the strands in the wire can break. I've
seen this with wired mice. The repeated flexing breaks a strand.
Eventually enough strands break, so the entire wire is broken (but might
be touching the ends of the strands), or cannot handle the load. You
said there were connectors at the PC-end of the speaker wires. Are they
molded onto the ends of the wires, or were they separate, like what you
might add for a new connector at the end of a wire to replace a broken
connector? Often, for cheap construction, the wire is merely crimped
onto a tang on the connector, and the wire can break at this point,
another reason why you're not supposed to pull on the wire and instead
pull on the connector.

Breaking of stranded wire doesn't just happen at the ends. If a part of
the wire keeps getting flexed, the strands will break. Take any piece
of thin metal, and keep moving it back and forth. It will eventually
break from fatigue.

If you plug in a pair of headphones into the same PC port, is there a
problem then with sound dropouts? Do you have another sound source with
which you can test the speakers, like a stereo? If the plug sizes are
different, you can get an adapter. That would test if the problem was
with the sound source from the PC if the stereo as the sound source has
no cutouts or scratchiness.

Have you ever played audio at excessive volume levels? Despite the
ratings for power output, distortion gets pretty bad at high volumes,
and can damage the speaker, like screwing up alignment, so the coil
snags during its travel. If they are really old speakers, they may have
deteriorated, like the surround that holds the cone to the frame, and
that can alter alignment of the coil attached to the cone.

Re: questions about speakers

<sm9aa4$dau$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=560&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#560

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 14:44:01 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 19:44 UTC

On 11/7/2021 1:38 PM, Yes wrote:
> Bob F wrote:
>
>> On 11/7/2021 8:57 AM, Yes wrote:
>>> Recently, the cable connecting my speakers (a set of speakers and
>>> powered bass speaker) to the audio connector on the rear of the mobo
>>> has started giving me problems. The sound drops out, and I have to
>>> slightly rotate the part of the cable that plugs into the mobo audio
>>> connector to restore the sound. The cable from the speakers is
>>> hard-wired as part of the speaker set, meaning that I would have to
>>> replace the speakers, not just a cable.
>>>
>>> I haven't dealt with this type of problem before. I'm wondering if
>>> the issue is with the cable or if it has to do with the audio
>>> connector that is part of the mobo? I'm inclined to replace the
>>> speakers with new ones just because of the age of the current set.
>>>
>>> If I do, should I go for a wired connection between the mobo and the
>>> speakers or for a wi-fi or bluetooth alternative? If I went the
>>> wireless route, that should side-step the issue about the audio
>>> connector on the rear of the mobo, but Is there any noticeable
>>> difference listening to a speaker system connected using
>>> wi-fi/bluetooth compared to those that use wired connections? I
>>> seem to recal that when the tech of connecting a sound system using
>>> wireless media was first introduced people were complaining that
>>> the sounds were not in sync with the action on the monitor and
>>> therefore had a detrimental effect for the overall enjoyment when
>>> watching something.
>>>
>>> John
>>>

>> It is most likely that the problem is with the wire going into the
>> plug that goes into the motherboard. try holding the connector very
>> still in the motherboard jack, and gently flexing the wire where it
>> joins the plug. If the problem comes and goes, that is likely where
>> the problem is. Rotating the plug probably flexes the wire the same
>> way. If this is your problem, the solution is to either replace the
>> plug on that cable (requires soldering) or perhaps taping the wire
>> into a position it works for as long as that works.
>>
>> If the jack is the problem, you could try a front panel audio jack,
>> or an additional adapter plugged into the motherboard "front panel
>> audio" connector inside the PC. Or, perhaps use a short audio
>> extension cord what would have a slightly different fit into the
>> motherboard jack.
>
> Thanks. I think old age is what has caused the problem with the wire.
> I thought about plugging the wire from the speaker into the front panel
> audio but worried that that might short out the mobo. Given the
> speakers age, even though they still work, it might be time for me to
> invest in a new set using a wireless option (wi-fi or bluetooth) to
> sidestep the question of a physical problem on the audio connector that
> is part of the mobo.
>
> John

I would test the amplified speakers, on an audio
device like a Walkman or a set top player, or anything
else with good quality audio electrical signals.

If you find the same "un-reliability", it could be
the power inside the amplified speakers which is failing.

The HDAudio jacks consist of two parts.

TRS gives you Left, Right, and GND. It's always worked like that.

If the plug does not contact the spring loaded L,R,GND
contacts inside the computer jack, that can affect the sound.

The cable could have a broken wire.

The other part of HDAudio, is the side
contact switch. This is not common on your audio
equipment rack. Only a computer uses this "sensor".

/
+---------/ x----------+

When you plug the cable into the computer,
that switch closes inside the jack. It is
tied to a logic signal. The silicon inside
the computer then says "ah, something just
got plugged in", by watching for switch closure.

A notification should appear "did you just
plug in Front Speakers ???".

That is the software response to a state change.

If both channels wander in and out at the
same time, sure, that could be a broken
ground wire. But it could just as easily be,
that the side-contact is not working right
on the computer end, and the sensing is disabling
the output. But, you would expect to see notifications
if this was happening.

Finally, OS services related to audio, can be dying then
restarting, which could give symptoms, and there
would not need to be a notification either. That
might be a visually quieter failure.

Paul

Re: questions about speakers

<sm9tdk$vnh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=561&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#561

From: noo...@invalid.invalid.com (Yes)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 01:10:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Yes - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 01:10 UTC

Bob F wrote:

> On 11/7/2021 10:38 AM, Yes wrote:
> > Bob F wrote:

> > > It is most likely that the problem is with the wire going into the
> > > plug that goes into the motherboard. try holding the connector
> > > very still in the motherboard jack, and gently flexing the wire
> > > where it joins the plug. If the problem comes and goes, that is
> > > likely where the problem is. Rotating the plug probably flexes
> > > the wire the same way. If this is your problem, the solution is
> > > to either replace the plug on that cable (requires soldering) or
> > > perhaps taping the wire into a position it works for as long as
> > > that works.
> > >
> > > If the jack is the problem, you could try a front panel audio
> > > jack, or an additional adapter plugged into the motherboard
> > > "front panel audio" connector inside the PC. Or, perhaps use a
> > > short audio extension cord what would have a slightly different
> > > fit into the motherboard jack.
> >
> > Thanks. I think old age is what has caused the problem with the
> > wire. I thought about plugging the wire from the speaker into the
> > front panel audio but worried that that might short out the mobo.
> > Given the speakers age, even though they still work, it might be
> > time for me to invest in a new set using a wireless option (wi-fi
> > or bluetooth) to sidestep the question of a physical problem on the
> > audio connector that is part of the mobo.
> >
> > John
> >

> Why would using the front jack short out the board? They put it there
> to be used. The chances are, it will have the same problem there
> though, because the likely problem is the wire connection at the
> plug, although that usually would affect one channel or the other not
> both. That suggests the ground connection is the problem. You could
> try touching a wire to the computer case on one end and the metal
> housing around a jack on the back of the speaker when the problem is
> occurring and see if that makes it work.

There's no reason per se for my thinking. It's just that whenever I've
read posts about the front panel audio connector, the people always
talk about about using headphones with it, so I've always considered
the front panel audio connector were designed for use with headphones,
not stereo Or greater number of channels like the 7.1 we see today. It
has never crossed my mind that I could use it for my speaker system.

I date back to the days when stereo was literally that - separate plugs
(or banana plugs) for left and right speakers or one plug for monoaural
music with a y-splitter. If the front panel audio connector was not
designed for stereo, then why would I want to attempt to test plugging
in something that might short circuit my pc. The last time I used
headphones was 6 or 7 years ago, and I threw them away because they had
physically deteriorated from when I bought them in the late 90s. For
better or worse, I'm able to keep my stuff in relatively good shape
such that my eqpt lasts for literally ages. The speakers I'm using now
actually date back to the late 90s from Creative Sound as part of their
SoundBlaster package at the time, I think. I would keep on usng them
except for the problem I noted in my OP because they work. But the
wire is giving me problems (after 20 some odd years) so I'm having to
think about what to do. I am surprised they've lasted as long as they
have.

Re: questions about speakers

<sm9vb8$anv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=562&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#562

From: noo...@invalid.invalid.com (Yes)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 01:43:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Yes - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 01:43 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:

> [...]
> eventually break from fatigue.
>
> If you plug in a pair of headphones into the same PC port, is there a
> problem then with sound dropouts? Do you have another sound source
> with which you can test the speakers, like a stereo? If the plug
> sizes are different, you can get an adapter. That would test if the
> problem was with the sound source from the PC if the stereo as the
> sound source has no cutouts or scratchiness.
>
> Have you ever played audio at excessive volume levels? Despite the
> ratings for power output, distortion gets pretty bad at high volumes,
> and can damage the speaker, like screwing up alignment, so the coil
> snags during its travel. If they are really old speakers, they may
> have deteriorated, like the surround that holds the cone to the
> frame, and that can alter alignment of the coil attached to the cone.

I would guess the most like issue is the oxidation. I don't move my pc
around very much and have no real reason to touch the wires. It was
just really weird that I'd be listening to some music and all of a
sudden there's no sound. That's when I jiggled the rear panel plug,
and the music resumed. It happens intermittently but more often now,
so I think the writing is on the wall. The speaker system I have has
lasted a good, long time for me.

The one thing that cropped up in my mind was whether the problem was
with the plug of the speakers or if it was an issue with the audio
connector that is physically part of the mobo. If it were the
speakers, then it's simple to just replace them. If it's the part that
is part of the mobo, then ???. One option would be perhaps installing
some type of PCI sound card to use instead. Another option would be to
find out if my pc's front panel audio connector could work with stereo
eqpt (as opposed to a headphone). A third option would be
investigating if there are stereo speakers (with bass) for sale that
use wi-fi or bluetooth and if they would be a reasonable option re:
quality of listening experience.

This third alternative in theory should sidestep my concern about
whether the problem is with the audio plug of the mobo itself; I
presume that the wi-fi/bluetooth option would not require plugging
anything into the mobo's audio connector but instead use a PCIe slot,
of which I have several. I currently don't have any wi-fi or bluetooth
installed on my pc just because it's never been necessary for my day to
day life and I've always been concerned about wi=fi/bluetooth as a
security issue because I know nothing about how to protect my pc from
hacking like that.

John

Re: questions about speakers

<lm%hJ.13868$3q9.6030@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=563&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#563

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 20:49:04 -0500
 by: Bill - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 01:49 UTC

On 11/7/2021 8:10 PM, Yes wrote:

> There's no reason per se for my thinking. It's just that whenever I've
> read posts about the front panel audio connector, the people always
> talk about about using headphones with it, so I've always considered
> the front panel audio connector were designed for use with headphones,
> not stereo Or greater number of channels like the 7.1 we see today. It
> has never crossed my mind that I could use it for my speaker system.

I have a cord that connects the stereo jack in my TV to my stereo system
having 4 speakers. In case it may be useful to someone, I have noticed
that new Sony TV's don't have the stereo jack, but LG TVs do--at least
the ones I have looked at. The cost of some of the fancier sound bars
(~$700) is in the same ballpark as what I paid for my stereo system and
speakers. Of course, they are pushing the sound bars... they must be
quite profitable...

Re: questions about speakers

<Ap%hJ.62104$AJ2.3981@fx33.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=564&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#564

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 20:52:30 -0500
 by: Bill - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 01:52 UTC

On 11/7/2021 8:43 PM, Yes wrote:

> I would guess the most like issue is the oxidation. I don't move my pc
> around very much and have no real reason to touch the wires. It was
> just really weird that I'd be listening to some music and all of a
> sudden there's no sound. That's when I jiggled the rear panel plug,
> and the music resumed. It happens intermittently but more often now,
> so I think the writing is on the wall. The speaker system I have has
> lasted a good, long time for me.

My money is on the connection in the plug--that's the stress point.
Have you ever pulled them out by the cord? Plugging something else in
there would be really quick way to find out. Then you could move on in
the right direction.

Re: questions about speakers

<smabm7$984$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=565&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#565

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 21:13:42 -0800
 by: Bob F - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 05:13 UTC

On 11/7/2021 5:43 PM, Yes wrote:
> [...]
> find out if my pc's front panel audio connector could work with stereo
> eqpt (as opposed to a headphone). A third option would be
> investigating if there are stereo speakers (with bass) for sale that
> use wi-fi or bluetooth and if they would be a reasonable option re:
> quality of listening experience.
>
> This third alternative in theory should sidestep my concern about
> whether the problem is with the audio plug of the mobo itself; I
> presume that the wi-fi/bluetooth option would not require plugging
> anything into the mobo's audio connector but instead use a PCIe slot,
> of which I have several. I currently don't have any wi-fi or bluetooth
> installed on my pc just because it's never been necessary for my day to
> day life and I've always been concerned about wi=fi/bluetooth as a
> security issue because I know nothing about how to protect my pc from

Do not imagine that bluetooth will be a more reliable connection than a
wire.

Re: questions about speakers

<1o0bcz5z8isc9$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=566&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#566

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 23:16:40 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 05:16 UTC

> [...]

> find out if my pc's front panel audio connector could work with stereo
> eqpt (as opposed to a headphone). A third option would be
> investigating if there are stereo speakers (with bass) for sale that
> use wi-fi or bluetooth and if they would be a reasonable option re:
> quality of listening experience.
>
> This third alternative in theory should sidestep my concern about
> whether the problem is with the audio plug of the mobo itself; I
> presume that the wi-fi/bluetooth option would not require plugging
> anything into the mobo's audio connector but instead use a PCIe slot,
> of which I have several. I currently don't have any wi-fi or bluetooth
> installed on my pc just because it's never been necessary for my day to
> day life and I've always been concerned about wi=fi/bluetooth as a
> security issue because I know nothing about how to protect my pc from

As Paul mentioned, and because these are externally powered speakers,
could be the power supply (often inside the subwoofer housing) is going
bad. I had a set that had cutouts and pops because of a bad power
supply. I looked inside, but decided to get a new set.

That's why I mentioned using the speakers with a different audio source,
like your stereo's line-out jack. If the speakers still cutout, the
speakers (and likely the power supply) that are bad. If the problem
doesn't happen when using an alternate audio source, try a pair of
headphones on the computer's sound jack.

Besides rubbing off the oxide on the connectors, and because the
external speakers probably have their own volume control, did you
repeatedly rotate the volume control on the speakers?

How much did these speakers cost? Are we talking about a pair of $10
speakers, or a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker set costing over $300? I don't
remember seeing expensive speaker sets that had the wires attached to
them. Attached wires to the speaker housings typically means crappy
low-quality alongside-the-monitor throw-away speakers that don't even
compare to many headsets.

Re: questions about speakers

<smbopa$q15$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=567&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#567

From: noo...@invalid.invalid.com (Yes)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 18:03:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Yes - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 18:03 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:

> [...]
>
> That's why I mentioned using the speakers with a different audio
> source, like your stereo's line-out jack. If the speakers still
> cutout, the speakers (and likely the power supply) that are bad. If
> the problem doesn't happen when using an alternate audio source, try
> a pair of headphones on the computer's sound jack.
>
> Besides rubbing off the oxide on the connectors, and because the
> external speakers probably have their own volume control, did you
> repeatedly rotate the volume control on the speakers?
>
> How much did these speakers cost? Are we talking about a pair of $10
> speakers, or a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker set costing over $300? I don't
> remember seeing expensive speaker sets that had the wires attached to
> them. Attached wires to the speaker housings typically means crappy
> low-quality alongside-the-monitor throw-away speakers that don't even

<LOL> I've had these speakers for so long, dating back to the late
1990s I can't even remember when/how I acquired them. For some reason,
I think I got them as part of a package deal when I bought a Creative
Soundblaster card. Over time as the quality/features of audio
connectors on mobos improved, I ditched the SoundBlaster card but kept
the speakers. No need to fix something that ain't broke, right :-) So
I've gotten plenty of use from them over the years.

I don't have any headphones or speakers to test the audio connector on
the rear panel. I could try re-plugging the cord into the front panel
connector, but The problem is intermittent, say perhaps once a day,
that it feels like looking for a needle in a haystack, and my patience
level is very low these days. Given my age and the area where I use my
computer, I'll probably stick to a traditional stereo set up, two
speakers plus dedicated bass speaker but don't know what is offered in
the marketplace anymore. A 4 speaker system doesn't make much sense to
me, at least right now, because I don't think I have the space to
spread them out to enjoy the acoustics and I definitely don't want to
have a lot of cords laid out over the floor (tripping hazard).

John

Re: questions about speakers

<smborr$qk2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=568&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#568

From: noo...@invalid.invalid.com (Yes)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 18:04:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Yes - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 18:04 UTC

Bill wrote:

> On 11/7/2021 8:43 PM, Yes wrote:
>
> > I would guess the most like issue is the oxidation. I don't move
> > my pc around very much and have no real reason to touch the wires.
> > It was just really weird that I'd be listening to some music and
> > all of a sudden there's no sound. That's when I jiggled the rear
> > panel plug, and the music resumed. It happens intermittently but
> > more often now, so I think the writing is on the wall. The speaker
> > system I have has lasted a good, long time for me.
>
> My money is on the connection in the plug--that's the stress point.
> Have you ever pulled them out by the cord? Plugging something else
> in there would be really quick way to find out. Then you could move
> on in the right direction.

Used to have a headphone, but no more.

Re: questions about speakers

<smbp4d$sra$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=569&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#569

From: noo...@invalid.invalid.com (Yes)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 18:09:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Yes - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 18:09 UTC

Bob F wrote:

> [...]
> > option would be investigating if there are stereo speakers (with
> > bass) for sale that use wi-fi or bluetooth and if they would be a
> > reasonable option re: quality of listening experience.
> >
> > This third alternative in theory should sidestep my concern about
> > whether the problem is with the audio plug of the mobo itself; I
> > presume that the wi-fi/bluetooth option would not require plugging
> > anything into the mobo's audio connector but instead use a PCIe
> > slot, of which I have several. I currently don't have any wi-fi or
> > bluetooth installed on my pc just because it's never been necessary
> > for my day to day life and I've always been concerned about
> > wi=fi/bluetooth as a security issue because I know nothing about
> > how to protect my pc from hacking like that.
> >

> Do not imagine that bluetooth will be a more reliable connection than

I understand. When that type of tech first came out aimed at the home
entertainment market, some of the salespeople warned that you might
notice sounds out of sync between those speakers in the front and those
speakers in the back with the video on the screen.

Re: questions about speakers

<OZkiJ.27650$QB1.17548@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=572&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#572

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 21:24:44 -0500
 by: Bill - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 02:24 UTC

On 11/8/2021 1:04 PM, Yes wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>
>> On 11/7/2021 8:43 PM, Yes wrote:
>>
>>> I would guess the most like issue is the oxidation. I don't move
>>> my pc around very much and have no real reason to touch the wires.
>>> It was just really weird that I'd be listening to some music and
>>> all of a sudden there's no sound. That's when I jiggled the rear
>>> panel plug, and the music resumed. It happens intermittently but
>>> more often now, so I think the writing is on the wall. The speaker
>>> system I have has lasted a good, long time for me.
>>
>> My money is on the connection in the plug--that's the stress point.
>> Have you ever pulled them out by the cord? Plugging something else
>> in there would be really quick way to find out. Then you could move
>> on in the right direction.
>
> Used to have a headphone, but no more.

If you are unable to borrow , here is a pair of headphones for $6.92:
https://www.amazon.com/Maxell-190319-Stereo-Headphone-Packaging/dp/B00006JPRN

Re: questions about speakers

<smevvg$9go$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=579&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#579

From: noo...@invalid.invalid.com (Yes)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 23:24:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Yes - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 23:24 UTC

Bill wrote:

> On 11/7/2021 8:43 PM, Yes wrote:
>
> > I would guess the most like issue is the oxidation. I don't move
> > my pc around very much and have no real reason to touch the wires.
> > It was just really weird that I'd be listening to some music and
> > all of a sudden there's no sound. That's when I jiggled the rear
> > panel plug, and the music resumed. It happens intermittently but
> > more often now, so I think the writing is on the wall. The speaker
> > system I have has lasted a good, long time for me.
>
> My money is on the connection in the plug--that's the stress point.
> Have you ever pulled them out by the cord? Plugging something else
> in there would be really quick way to find out. Then you could move
> on in the right direction.

FWIW, I just tried plugging the speakers into the front panel plug,
The speaker plug did not fit properly into the front panel; it was
loose.

Re: questions about speakers

<iv0hssFnv55U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=580&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#580

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 18:26:03 -0600
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 00:26 UTC

On 2021-11-09 5:24 p.m., Yes wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>
>> On 11/7/2021 8:43 PM, Yes wrote:
>>
>>> I would guess the most like issue is the oxidation. I don't move
>>> my pc around very much and have no real reason to touch the wires.
>>> It was just really weird that I'd be listening to some music and
>>> all of a sudden there's no sound. That's when I jiggled the rear
>>> panel plug, and the music resumed. It happens intermittently but
>>> more often now, so I think the writing is on the wall. The speaker
>>> system I have has lasted a good, long time for me.
>>
>> My money is on the connection in the plug--that's the stress point.
>> Have you ever pulled them out by the cord? Plugging something else
>> in there would be really quick way to find out. Then you could move
>> on in the right direction.
>
> FWIW, I just tried plugging the speakers into the front panel plug,
> The speaker plug did not fit properly into the front panel; it was
> loose.

That is weird, to my knowledge all these plugs and jacks were 3.5 mm
which is about .01377 inches, both the front and rear sockets should be
the same size.
There were some cases of 2.5 mm plugs, about .099 inches used on some
audio stuff but not very popular.
Could you somehow measure the male cable connector and let us know what
size it is?

Rene

/

Re: questions about speakers

<smf5nn$88v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=581&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#581

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 20:02:34 -0500
 by: Paul - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 01:02 UTC

On 11/9/2021 7:26 PM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 2021-11-09 5:24 p.m., Yes wrote:
>> Bill wrote:

>>> My money is on the connection in the plug--that's the stress point.
>>> Have you ever pulled them out by the cord?  Plugging something else
>>> in there would be really quick way to find out. Then you could move
>>> on in the right direction.
>>
>> FWIW, I just tried plugging the speakers into the front panel plug,
>> The speaker plug did not fit properly into the front panel; it was
>> loose.
>>

> That is weird, to my knowledge all these plugs and jacks were 3.5 mm
> which is about .01377 inches, both the front and rear sockets should be the same size.
> There were some cases of 2.5 mm plugs, about .099 inches used on some audio stuff but not very popular.
> Could you somehow measure the male cable connector and let us know what size it is?
>
> Rene

They're hard to tell apart on web pages, but when
you have a 2.5mm and a 3.5mm in hand, it's a lot easier
to see it.

https://mynewmicrophone.com/differences-between-2-5mm-3-5mm-6-35mm-headphone-jacks/

My headphones have 3.5mm and a screw-on adapter makes for 6.35mm (quarter inch)
that would fit in my old deceased stereo system.

I think I only have one 2.5mm here, used on a mono earphone for
a transistor radio usage. The 2.5mm generally don't have any
screw-on adapter threads on them.

And in the computer room, there can be two contact,
three contact, and four contact 3.5mm. There was an
Apple microphone with four contacts. Some Creative
sound product had TRRS. There are a few adapters to
adapt between those (a male, a female, a length of wire).

Paul

Re: questions about speakers

<iv0mnkFoojjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=582&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#582

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 19:48:36 -0600
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 01:48 UTC

On 2021-11-09 7:02 p.m., Paul wrote:
> On 11/9/2021 7:26 PM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:

>>> FWIW, I just tried plugging the speakers into the front panel plug,
>>> The speaker plug did not fit properly into the front panel; it was
>>> loose.
>>>

>> That is weird, to my knowledge all these plugs and jacks were 3.5 mm
>> which is about .01377 inches, both the front and rear sockets should
>> be the same size.
>> There were some cases of 2.5 mm plugs, about .099 inches used on some
>> audio stuff but not very popular.
>> Could you somehow measure the male cable connector and let us know
>> what size it is?
>>
>> Rene
>
> They're hard to tell apart on web pages, but when
> you have a 2.5mm and a 3.5mm in hand, it's a lot easier
> to see it.
>
> https://mynewmicrophone.com/differences-between-2-5mm-3-5mm-6-35mm-headphone-jacks/
>

> My headphones have 3.5mm and a screw-on adapter makes for 6.35mm
> (quarter inch)
> that would fit in my old deceased stereo system.
>
> I think I only have one 2.5mm here, used on a mono earphone for
> a transistor radio usage. The 2.5mm generally don't have any
> screw-on adapter threads on them.
>
> And in the computer room, there can be two contact,
> three contact, and four contact 3.5mm. There was an
> Apple microphone with four contacts. Some Creative
> sound product had TRRS. There are a few adapters to
> adapt between those (a male, a female, a length of wire).
>
>    Paul

Just noticed my screw up 3.5 mm = .1377 not .01377, a little bigger than
1/8 inch.
2.5 mm = about 1/10 inch.
In any case, if the plug is loose in the front socket it should be loose
in the rear socket also, if so that would indicate that he may have a
2.5 mm plug on his speaker cable which also seems unlikely.

Rene

Re: questions about speakers

<smfhg4$4nt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=584&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#584

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 23:23:18 -0500
 by: Paul - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 04:23 UTC

On 11/9/2021 8:48 PM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 2021-11-09 7:02 p.m., Paul wrote:

>>> That is weird, to my knowledge all these plugs and jacks were 3.5 mm which is about .01377 inches, both the front and rear sockets should be the same size.
>>> There were some cases of 2.5 mm plugs, about .099 inches used on some audio stuff but not very popular.
>>> Could you somehow measure the male cable connector and let us know what size it is?
>>>
>>> Rene
>>
>> They're hard to tell apart on web pages, but when
>> you have a 2.5mm and a 3.5mm in hand, it's a lot easier
>> to see it.
>>
>> https://mynewmicrophone.com/differences-between-2-5mm-3-5mm-6-35mm-headphone-jacks/
>>
>> My headphones have 3.5mm and a screw-on adapter makes for 6.35mm (quarter inch)
>> that would fit in my old deceased stereo system.
>>
>> I think I only have one 2.5mm here, used on a mono earphone for
>> a transistor radio usage. The 2.5mm generally don't have any
>> screw-on adapter threads on them.
>>
>> And in the computer room, there can be two contact,
>> three contact, and four contact 3.5mm. There was an
>> Apple microphone with four contacts. Some Creative
>> sound product had TRRS. There are a few adapters to
>> adapt between those (a male, a female, a length of wire).
>>
>>     Paul
>
> Just noticed my screw up 3.5 mm = .1377 not .01377, a little bigger than 1/8 inch.
> 2.5 mm = about 1/10 inch.
> In any case, if the plug is loose in the front socket it should be loose in the rear socket also, if so that would indicate that he may have a 2.5 mm plug on his speaker cable which also seems unlikely.
>
> Rene

I don't know how often you'll run into 2.5mm.

Maybe it's a country-specific thing and that's why
we don't all see them to the same extent.

Paul

Re: questions about speakers

<gmdwpgd6vbwe.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=585&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#585

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 23:28:18 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 05:28 UTC

Yes <noone@invalid.invalid.com> wrote:

> FWIW, I just tried plugging the speakers into the front panel plug,
> The speaker plug did not fit properly into the front panel; it was
> loose.

But did the speakers work when using the front connectors without any
cutout when lightly flexing the connector in the jack? If so, keep that
way for, at least, twice as long as it usually takes for the problem to
reappear.

Re: questions about speakers

<iv2808F379lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=587&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#587

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 09:49:28 -0600
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 15:49 UTC

On 2021-11-09 11:28 p.m., VanguardLH wrote:
> Yes <noone@invalid.invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> FWIW, I just tried plugging the speakers into the front panel plug,
>> The speaker plug did not fit properly into the front panel; it was
>> loose.
>
> But did the speakers work when using the front connectors without any
> cutout when lightly flexing the connector in the jack? If so, keep that
> way for, at least, twice as long as it usually takes for the problem to
> reappear.

I had a couple 2.5 plugs in my parts bin 4 or 5 years ago but don't
remember ever using them for anything.

Rene

Re: questions about speakers

<smgtbt$o0s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=588&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#588

From: citrustw...@google.mailer.company.invalid (lew)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 16:52:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: lew - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 16:52 UTC

On 2021-11-10, Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote:
> On 2021-11-09 11:28 p.m., VanguardLH wrote:
>> Yes <noone@invalid.invalid.com> wrote:
>>
>>> FWIW, I just tried plugging the speakers into the front panel plug,
>>> The speaker plug did not fit properly into the front panel; it was
>>> loose.
>>
>> But did the speakers work when using the front connectors without any
>> cutout when lightly flexing the connector in the jack? If so, keep that
>> way for, at least, twice as long as it usually takes for the problem to
>> reappear.
>>

> I had a couple 2.5 plugs in my parts bin 4 or 5 years ago but don't
> remember ever using them for anything.
>
> Rene

The logitech remote hubs uses mono ports for IR;
they are the 2.5 size.