Perl will always provide the null. -- Larry Wall in <199801151818.KAA14538@wall.org>

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: Share comon contact details wth android

SubjectAuthor
* Share comon contact details wth androidpinnerite
+* Re: Share comon contact details wth androidBig Al
|`- Re: Share comon contact details wth androidThebest Teddy
`* Re: Share comon contact details wth androidEdmund
 `* Re: Share comon contact details wth androidpinnerite
  +- Re: Share comon contact details wth androidEdmund
  `- Re: Share comon contact details wth androidThebest Teddy

1
Share comon contact details wth android

<20230409212241.b2c633603426356d438b9903@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5871&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5871

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Share comon contact details wth android
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 21:22:41 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 20:22 UTC

I want to share my contact details from my Android cellphone with my
Linux Mint 20.3 desktop.

I read that KDE connect shud accomplish this but I cannot get it to
work.

I installed it on both devices.

On the 'phone it shows my email address as an available device.

If I click on "Request Pairing", it is unable to make the link.

On the Mint menu there are three options:

KDE Connect
KDE Connect Indicator
KDE Connect SMS

None seem to do anything.

running sudo kdeconnect-app gets me to here.

QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to
'/tmp/runtime-root' QQmlApplicationEngine failed to load component
qrc:/qml/main.qml:93 Cannot assign object of type "DevicesModel" to
property of type "QAbstractItemModel*" as the former is neither the
same as the latter nor a sub-class of it.

Is this a blind alley?

TIA

--
Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-146-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of

Re: Share comon contact details wth android

<u0vbs5$1s9ev$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5872&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5872

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Share comon contact details wth android
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 17:48:51 -0400
 by: Big Al - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 21:48 UTC

On 4/9/23 16:22, this is what pinnerite wrote:
> I want to share my contact details from my Android cellphone with my
> Linux Mint 20.3 desktop.
>
> I read that KDE connect shud accomplish this but I cannot get it to
> work.
>
> I installed it on both devices.
>
> On the 'phone it shows my email address as an available device.
>
> If I click on "Request Pairing", it is unable to make the link.
>
> On the Mint menu there are three options:
>
> KDE Connect
> KDE Connect Indicator
> KDE Connect SMS
>
> None seem to do anything.
>
> running sudo kdeconnect-app gets me to here.
>
> QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to
> '/tmp/runtime-root' QQmlApplicationEngine failed to load component
> qrc:/qml/main.qml:93 Cannot assign object of type "DevicesModel" to
> property of type "QAbstractItemModel*" as the former is neither the
> same as the latter nor a sub-class of it.
>
> Is this a blind alley?
>
> TIA

I can't talk about KDE but I went another route. I installed Cardbook. You can put all your addresses in it, and it
syncs with google. Thus your address book on android syncs with google. So anything you edit on android shows in
thunderbird anything you put in cardbook extension in thunderbird shows on android.

Been doing it for a good year now.
--
Al

Re: Share comon contact details wth android

<u10dfo$23ldh$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5873&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5873

From: teddythe...@europe.com (Thebest Teddy)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 09:22:28 +0200
 by: Thebest Teddy - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 07:22 UTC

Le 09/04/2023 à 23:48, Big Al a écrit :
> On 4/9/23 16:22, this is what pinnerite wrote:
>> I want to share my contact details from my Android cellphone with my
>> Linux Mint 20.3 desktop.
>>
>> I read that KDE connect shud accomplish this but I cannot get it to
>> work.
>>
>> I installed it on both devices.
>>
>> On the 'phone it shows my email address as an available device.
>>
>> If I click on "Request Pairing", it is unable to make the link.
>>
>> On the Mint menu there are three options:
>>
>> KDE Connect
>> KDE Connect Indicator
>> KDE Connect SMS
>>
>> None seem to do anything.
>>
>> running sudo kdeconnect-app gets me to here.
>>          QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to
>> '/tmp/runtime-root' QQmlApplicationEngine failed to load component
>> qrc:/qml/main.qml:93 Cannot assign object of type "DevicesModel" to
>> property of type "QAbstractItemModel*" as the former is neither the
>> same as the latter nor a sub-class of it.
>>
>> Is this a blind alley?
>>
>> TIA
>>
> I can't talk about KDE but I went another route.   I installed
> Cardbook.   You can put all your addresses in it, and it syncs with
> google.   Thus your address book on android syncs with google.   So
> anything you edit on android shows in thunderbird anything you put in
> cardbook extension in thunderbird shows on android.
>
> Been doing it for a good year now.

Well, personaly, I use an alternative way to share my contact and my
agenda with all my devices.

1- NextCloud :
First, you must have an account on a NextCloud server. For example, I
have a free account at https://framagenda.org/. Maybe you will found
other NextCloud free hosting on the web (a example at
https://webo.cloud/nextcloud/, you can subscribe a free account at
https://clients.webo.hosting/cart/&step=3)

2- Davx5 :
Second, you have to install the apk Davx5 on your Android device ;
available on the Free (as in freedom) app market F-droid (see more at
https://f-droid.org/ ). You can download it at
https://f-droid.org/packages/at.bitfire.davdroid/ (or with f-droid once
installed on your Android device)
You have to set up Davx5 with your NextCloud account (see more at
https://www.davx5.com/tested-with/nextcloud)

3- Contacts and Agenda :
Third, you have to setup your contacts and agenda apps on your Android
device with your contacts and agenda on the NextCloud server.

4- Thunderbird :
Personaly, I use Thunderbird on my Linux Mint system (Cinamon desktop)
So I have setup thunderbird to use external cardbook and agenda.
For me, it works perfectly

Re: Share comon contact details wth android

<u133u5$2ib3t$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5878&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5878

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 09:57:57 +0200
 by: Edmund - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 07:57 UTC

On 4/9/23 22:22, pinnerite wrote:
> I want to share my contact details from my Android cellphone with my
> Linux Mint 20.3 desktop.
>
> I read that KDE connect shud accomplish this but I cannot get it to
> work.
>
> I installed it on both devices.
>
> On the 'phone it shows my email address as an available device.
>
> If I click on "Request Pairing", it is unable to make the link.
>
> On the Mint menu there are three options:
>
> KDE Connect
> KDE Connect Indicator
> KDE Connect SMS
>
> None seem to do anything.
>
> running sudo kdeconnect-app gets me to here.
>
> QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to
> '/tmp/runtime-root' QQmlApplicationEngine failed to load component
> qrc:/qml/main.qml:93 Cannot assign object of type "DevicesModel" to
> property of type "QAbstractItemModel*" as the former is neither the
> same as the latter nor a sub-class of it.
>
> Is this a blind alley?
>
> TIA

Do you have KDE desktop?
I found that KDE stuff pretty incompatible with
other DE's. So much it even f@$(&*@$^up my logon to the computer.

Edmund

--
The moment any organization established from pure noble intentions get some influence, it will be corrupted from both inside and outside.
Then we have organizations established from pure evil.

Edmund

Re: Share comon contact details wth android

<20230411130909.9df83f6c87a3e3aae832e8cf@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5879&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5879

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 13:09:09 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 12:09 UTC

On Tue, 11 Apr 2023 09:57:57 +0200
Edmund <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/9/23 22:22, pinnerite wrote:
> > I want to share my contact details from my Android cellphone with my
> > Linux Mint 20.3 desktop.
> >
> > I read that KDE connect shud accomplish this but I cannot get it to
> > work.
> >
> > I installed it on both devices.
> >
> > On the 'phone it shows my email address as an available device.
> >
> > If I click on "Request Pairing", it is unable to make the link.
> >
> > On the Mint menu there are three options:
> >
> > KDE Connect
> > KDE Connect Indicator
> > KDE Connect SMS
> >
> > None seem to do anything.
> >
> > running sudo kdeconnect-app gets me to here.
> >
> > QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to
> > '/tmp/runtime-root' QQmlApplicationEngine failed to load component
> > qrc:/qml/main.qml:93 Cannot assign object of type "DevicesModel" to
> > property of type "QAbstractItemModel*" as the former is neither the
> > same as the latter nor a sub-class of it.
> >
> > Is this a blind alley?
> >
> > TIA
>
> Do you have KDE desktop?
> I found that KDE stuff pretty incompatible with
> other DE's. So much it even f@$(&*@$^up my logon to the computer.
>
> Edmund

No, I use Cinnamon but KDE applications seem to like me more than you. :)

Alan

--
Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-146-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.

Re: Share comon contact details wth android

<u13kqt$2k7ri$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5880&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5880

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 14:46:21 +0200
 by: Edmund - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 12:46 UTC

On 4/11/23 14:09, pinnerite wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Apr 2023 09:57:57 +0200
> Edmund <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4/9/23 22:22, pinnerite wrote:
>>> I want to share my contact details from my Android cellphone with my
>>> Linux Mint 20.3 desktop.
>>>
>>> I read that KDE connect shud accomplish this but I cannot get it to
>>> work.
>>>
>>> I installed it on both devices.
>>>
>>> On the 'phone it shows my email address as an available device.
>>>
>>> If I click on "Request Pairing", it is unable to make the link.
>>>
>>> On the Mint menu there are three options:
>>>
>>> KDE Connect
>>> KDE Connect Indicator
>>> KDE Connect SMS
>>>
>>> None seem to do anything.
>>>
>>> running sudo kdeconnect-app gets me to here.
>>>
>>> QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to
>>> '/tmp/runtime-root' QQmlApplicationEngine failed to load component
>>> qrc:/qml/main.qml:93 Cannot assign object of type "DevicesModel" to
>>> property of type "QAbstractItemModel*" as the former is neither the
>>> same as the latter nor a sub-class of it.
>>>
>>> Is this a blind alley?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>
>> Do you have KDE desktop?
>> I found that KDE stuff pretty incompatible with
>> other DE's. So much it even f@$(&*@$^up my logon to the computer.
>>
>> Edmund
>>
> No, I use Cinnamon but KDE applications seem to like me more than you. :)
>
> Alan

Because it haven't screwed up your possibility to logon YET!?

Edmund

--
The moment any organization established from pure noble intentions get some influence, it will be corrupted from both inside and outside.
Then we have organizations established from pure evil.

Edmund

Re: Share comon contact details wth android

<u14882$2mjpr$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5881&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5881

From: teddythe...@europe.com (Thebest Teddy)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 20:17:37 +0200
 by: Thebest Teddy - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 18:17 UTC

Le 11/04/2023 à 14:09, pinnerite a écrit :
> On Tue, 11 Apr 2023 09:57:57 +0200
> Edmund <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4/9/23 22:22, pinnerite wrote:
>>> I want to share my contact details from my Android cellphone with my
>>> Linux Mint 20.3 desktop.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>
>> Do you have KDE desktop?
>> I found that KDE stuff pretty incompatible with
>> other DE's. So much it even f@$(&*@$^up my logon to the computer.
>>
>> Edmund
>>
> No, I use Cinnamon but KDE applications seem to like me more than you. :)
>
> Alan

If I may, and it is only an advice, use Davx5 with a NextCloud sever to
share your contacts as I say in my previous thread.
And this is a look of my own configuration :

Computer :
Operating System : Linux Mint 18.3 X86 i686 (32 bits)
Kernel : Linux 4.15.0-142-generic
Bureau : Cinamon 3.6.7
Thunderbird : 68.10.0 (32 bits)
Thunderbird extensions :