"Marriage is low down, but you spend the rest of your life paying for it." -- Baskins

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Restarts from Hibernate

SubjectAuthor
* Restarts from Hibernatemicky
+- Re: Restarts from HibernatePaul
`* Re: Restarts from HibernateJesper Kaas
 +* Re: Restarts from Hibernatemicky
 |`* Re: Restarts from HibernatePaul
 | +- Re: Restarts from HibernateJohn
 | `* Re: Restarts from HibernateStan Brown
 |  +- Re: Restarts from HibernatePaul
 |  +- Re: Restarts from HibernateFrank Slootweg
 |  `- Re: Restarts from HibernateStan Brown
 `* Re: Restarts from HibernateJesper Kaas
  `- Re: Restarts from Hibernatemicky

1
Restarts from Hibernate

<8s3cvglitivc7j7p63a3gf7fptkrjikpu9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58417&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58417

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Restarts from Hibernate
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 23:13:14 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 30 Jan 2022 04:13 UTC

Reporting -- My win10 box that was out of service for 2 months while I
tried to make it start... Now it restarts from Hibernate without my
doing anything.

Google probably has the answer, from social.technet: The problem with
rebooting right after hibernate has to do with the devices allowed to
wake the computer. Go to device manager and pull up properties on the
mouse, keyboard, and network cards. In each go to the Power Management
tab and uncheck the "Allow to wake computer" box.

Wasn't true about keyboard or mouse but Network adapter, Intel Ethernet
Conection I217-LM indeed was set to wake computer. I routinely used
Hibernate before the troubles and it never woke then. So somethng must
have changed this setting. Was it a demon?

Re: Restarts from Hibernate

<st56cl$vi4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58418&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58418

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Restarts from Hibernate
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 00:05:29 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 30 Jan 2022 05:05 UTC

On 1/29/2022 11:13 PM, micky wrote:
> Reporting -- My win10 box that was out of service for 2 months while I
> tried to make it start... Now it restarts from Hibernate without my
> doing anything.
>
> Google probably has the answer, from social.technet: The problem with
> rebooting right after hibernate has to do with the devices allowed to
> wake the computer. Go to device manager and pull up properties on the
> mouse, keyboard, and network cards. In each go to the Power Management
> tab and uncheck the "Allow to wake computer" box.
>
> Wasn't true about keyboard or mouse but Network adapter, Intel Ethernet
> Conection I217-LM indeed was set to wake computer. I routinely used
> Hibernate before the troubles and it never woke then. So somethng must
> have changed this setting. Was it a demon?

At one time, NICs had WOL (Wake On LAN).

On the older cards, there was a two or three wire cable, that ran from
the NIC PCI card, to a connector on the motherboard. This was likely
to be tied to the PME signal (Power Management Event).

OK, so what has changed today.

PME is a bus signal, so no more three wire cables needed.

The WOL has changed to not only WOL, but also Wake On Carrier.

That means, if the Ethernet sees heartbeat packets or other kinds
of stimuli on the cable, it immediately wakes up the computer. And this
basically amounts to "if the router is powered, the damn computer
is going to wake up".

Your choices might be:

None
WOL
Carrier
Some other choice

Something like four options.

You would want the closest thing to None.

*******

If you allow Windows 10 to install a driver, a tab may be missing
from Properties for the NIC in device manager.

If you install an Intel Pro driver of some sort, from the Intel
site (or from the motherboard DVD in the motherboard box), sometimes
the additional items you want to review, they're in a tab provided
by that driver. As long as you've been able to find a menu with a
long list of crap in it, you've probably got the materials necessary
to fix it. There can be things like buffer offload options, flow
control and other jazz in there.

My NIC is older than yours, but the Properties has tabs like

Drivers Details Resources
General Link Speed Advanced PowerManagement

Wake on Magic Packet
Wake on Pattern Match
X Wake on Magic Packet from power off state
Wake on Link Settings

The Wake on Link Settings appears to be
the "Carrier" flavor of waking. The "Bad" one.
Totally bonkers choice (because it requires
coordination with the router to make good
usage of it).

Paul

Re: Restarts from Hibernate

<asodvgtl08djmsca8p5ripin09jhf8ka54@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58431&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58431

From: jesp...@neitakk.online.no (Jesper Kaas)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 20:23:14 +0100
 by: Jesper Kaas - Sun, 30 Jan 2022 19:23 UTC

On Sat, 29 Jan 2022 23:13:14 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>Reporting -- My win10 box that was out of service for 2 months while I
>tried to make it start... Now it restarts from Hibernate without my
>doing anything.

Mine also sometimes would not stay in hibernation. After some time I
found that when a windows update was waiting, it would not stay
sleeping. To avoid that, I set updates to install automatically. Do
not like it, but after a year or 2 no problems.
--
Jesper Kaas - jesperk@neindanke.online.no

Re: Restarts from Hibernate

<8guevg5pu7v2hv7avapqfpevvtjgjg50dj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58455&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58455

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 04:02:07 -0500
 by: micky - Mon, 31 Jan 2022 09:02 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sun, 30 Jan 2022 20:23:14 +0100, Jesper
Kaas <jesperk@neitakk.online.no> wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Jan 2022 23:13:14 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Reporting -- My win10 box that was out of service for 2 months while I
>>tried to make it start... Now it restarts from Hibernate without my
>>doing anything.

For me, Network adapter was set to wake computer so I unset it. It was
quiet for about a day and then started up tonight. I checked all 3
outside inputs again, and this time, the mouse was set to wake it, even
though it was not set that way yesterday. :0(

>Mine also sometimes would not stay in hibernation. After some time I
>found that when a windows update was waiting, it would not stay
>sleeping. To avoid that, I set updates to install automatically. Do
>not like it, but after a year or 2 no problems.

I have an update pending too, that goes to 20% during installation and
freezes there. I wonder if that has some thing to do with it (It seems
to have finished on the 3rd try.)

I'm going a way in a week for up to 4 months, and I th ink the smartest
thing I could do is unplug the computer. Let's see it try to start
then!

Re: Restarts from Hibernate

<st8t16$kk3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58459&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58459

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 09:50:11 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 31 Jan 2022 14:50 UTC

On 1/31/2022 4:02 AM, micky wrote:

> I'm going a way in a week for up to 4 months, and I th ink the smartest
> thing I could do is unplug the computer. Let's see it try to start
> then!

They hate it when you do that.

It takes all the fun out of being sneaky.

Paul

Re: Restarts from Hibernate

<i7ufvgd99k9d7poge9ilm3drf5h7638cgf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58460&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58460

From: Man...@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 15:03:13 +0000
 by: John - Mon, 31 Jan 2022 15:03 UTC

On Mon, 31 Jan 2022 09:50:11 -0500, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
wrote:

>On 1/31/2022 4:02 AM, micky wrote:
>
>> I'm going a way in a week for up to 4 months, and I th ink the smartest
>> thing I could do is unplug the computer. Let's see it try to start
>> then!

I once did that with a MacBook laptop PC. It was only off for a few
days while unplugged but the battery pack drained to absolute zero and
would never recharge.

The little bugger worked fine for years after that while on mains but
nothing I did could revive the pack. Even the Mac-os newsgroupers had
no useful ideas.

I've never had a non-Apple box do that.

>They hate it when you do that.

Just be nice to your boxen, they like that and will behave well.

>It takes all the fun out of being sneaky.

True, but mine just like being petted and talked to and used lightly.
Giving them the odd heavy-duty task to chew on seems to keep their
tails wagging, too. :)

J.

> Paul

Re: Restarts from Hibernate

<MPG.3c61a94672044dda98fe9d@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58463&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58463

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 08:08:07 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Mon, 31 Jan 2022 16:08 UTC

On Mon, 31 Jan 2022 09:50:11 -0500, Paul wrote:

> On 1/31/2022 4:02 AM, micky wrote:
>
> > I'm going a way in a week for up to 4 months, and I th ink the smartest
> > thing I could do is unplug the computer. Let's see it try to start
> > then!
>
> They hate it when you do that.
>
> It takes all the fun out of being sneaky.

The OP said the computer wakes from _Hibernate_. I thought that
wasn't possible, because in Hibernate the computer is completely
powered off.

Am I wrong, or was the OP actually talking about waking from sleep?

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Restarts from Hibernate

<qbhgvgt9p9vgb86k5pm8d7afasq8ggpnaa@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58473&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58473

From: jesp...@neitakk.online.no (Jesper Kaas)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 21:29:45 +0100
 by: Jesper Kaas - Mon, 31 Jan 2022 20:29 UTC

On Sun, 30 Jan 2022 20:23:14 +0100, Jesper Kaas
<jesperk@neitakk.online.no> wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Jan 2022 23:13:14 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Reporting -- My win10 box that was out of service for 2 months while I
>>tried to make it start... Now it restarts from Hibernate without my
>>doing anything.
>
>Mine also sometimes would not stay in hibernation. After some time I
>found that when a windows update was waiting, it would not stay
>sleeping. To avoid that, I set updates to install automatically. Do
>not like it, but after a year or 2 no problems.

My comment above is a memory fart. What the PC did was not that it
woke up for no apparent reason, but that it would not hibernate. That
happened when a windows update was waiting for a click to
download/install.
--
Jesper Kaas - jesperk@neindanke.online.no

Re: Restarts from Hibernate

<st9ii2$fu1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58484&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58484

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 15:57:36 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 31 Jan 2022 20:57 UTC

On 1/31/2022 11:08 AM, Stan Brown wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2022 09:50:11 -0500, Paul wrote:
>>
>> On 1/31/2022 4:02 AM, micky wrote:
>>
>>> I'm going a way in a week for up to 4 months, and I th ink the smartest
>>> thing I could do is unplug the computer. Let's see it try to start
>>> then!
>>
>> They hate it when you do that.
>>
>> It takes all the fun out of being sneaky.
>
> The OP said the computer wakes from _Hibernate_. I thought that
> wasn't possible, because in Hibernate the computer is completely
> powered off.
>
> Am I wrong, or was the OP actually talking about waking from sleep?

A computer is not "OFF" until the switch on the back of
the PC has been flipped.

S5 is just a power state. The +5VSB on the PSU is
still running.

Then it's a question of whether your chipset supports
PME during S5. You have to check the datasheets, generation
after generation, to see what features are supported in S5.

But as far as the electricity being present, yes, the
electricity for it is there.

When my PC sleeps, it uses 7.5W.

When my PC hibernates, it uses 1.4W or so.
The memory is not powered in hibernation state.
But something else could be.

The chipset (PCH/Southbridge) has a few bits that
track the "parked state". It's possible reading those
at startup, gives the setup the hint it needs to do the
right thing (like, come out of sleep properly). The machine
doesn't know "instantly" what is going on, and there's
some thinking that goes on at BIOS level, before the next step.

The concept of sleep is pretty simple. Just "set the Program Counter
to the last known value and let it rip". But the implementation
has more to it than that, as the hardware state must be restored
(the video card needs to be initialized again). You cannot let it
rip, until all the hardware is in a known state. This likely
also requires some "quiescence" behaviors at shutdown, so
the kernel is not in the middle of an operation, as that would
endanger the notion of a "known state" during the next startup.
If an operation was in flight, the hardware wouldn't know a
thing about that operation. It's OK for a file to be "open",
but not for the SATA controller to be "in the middle of a write".

Paul

Re: Restarts from Hibernate

<st9mbo.1ii0.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58485&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58485

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 31 Jan 2022 21:04:14 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Mon, 31 Jan 2022 21:04 UTC

Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2022 09:50:11 -0500, Paul wrote:
> >
> > On 1/31/2022 4:02 AM, micky wrote:
> >
> > > I'm going a way in a week for up to 4 months, and I th ink the smartest
> > > thing I could do is unplug the computer. Let's see it try to start
> > > then!
> >
> > They hate it when you do that.
> >
> > It takes all the fun out of being sneaky.
>
> The OP said the computer wakes from _Hibernate_. I thought that
> wasn't possible, because in Hibernate the computer is completely
> powered off.

Well, that's probably true for the (very) large majority of cases/
systems, but there can be exceptions.

For example my previous laptop: After a longish holiday (vacation) the
battery was completely empty, while I had powered it down before going
on holiday. Why was that?

Turned out that this was some media-type laptop, which had a remote
control (like a TV), which could turn it on, even when it was 'off'.
'off' in scare quotes, because it obviously wasn't completely off,
otherwise it couldn't react to the remote control.

So this laptop had yet another mode, 'standby' (again like a TV) and
that consumed a little bit of power and drained the battery.

I had never used the remote control and it was sitting in some box,
but the laptop didn't know that, did it!? :-)

While my scenario was for (pseudo) off, not hibernating, I'm sure the
remote control could wake it up from hibernation as well.

So maybe there are other computers which also can wake up from
hibernation by other means than pressing the power button.

> Am I wrong, or was the OP actually talking about waking from sleep?

Re: Restarts from Hibernate

<MPG.3c625954483a100d98fe9e@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58516&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58516

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 20:39:19 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 04:39 UTC

On Mon, 31 Jan 2022 08:08:07 -0800, Stan Brown wrote:

> The OP said the computer wakes from _Hibernate_. I thought that
> wasn't possible, because in Hibernate the computer is completely
> powered off.
>
> Am I wrong, or was the OP actually talking about waking from sleep?

Well, I learned something! Thanks, Paul and Frank!

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Restarts from Hibernate

<87t00h1jih78plaksogj3g6g0uml5bp6ef@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58842&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58842

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2022 20:26:19 -0500
 by: micky - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 01:26 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Mon, 31 Jan 2022 21:29:45 +0100, Jesper
Kaas <jesperk@neitakk.online.no> wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Jan 2022 20:23:14 +0100, Jesper Kaas
><jesperk@neitakk.online.no> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 29 Jan 2022 23:13:14 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Reporting -- My win10 box that was out of service for 2 months while I
>>>tried to make it start... Now it restarts from Hibernate without my
>>>doing anything.
>>
>>Mine also sometimes would not stay in hibernation. After some time I
>>found that when a windows update was waiting, it would not stay
>>sleeping. To avoid that, I set updates to install automatically. Do
>>not like it, but after a year or 2 no problems.
>
>My comment above is a memory fart. What the PC did was not that it
>woke up for no apparent reason, but that it would not hibernate. That
>happened when a windows update was waiting for a click to
>download/install.

LOL. BTW, that money you said I owe you, you really owe me. Can you
send it via Paypal?