From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Javier)
Subject: Re: new mozilla groups
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sat, 01 May 2021 08:27:51 -0500
 by: Javier - Sat, 1 May 2021 13:27 UTC

Eli the Bearded <*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote:
> The three new groups
>
> alt.comp.software.firefox
> alt.comp.software.thunderbird
> alt.comp.software.seamonkey
>
> have been created, no doubt population around the various usenet servers
> will be slow. At the moment they only exist on news.aioe.org and one or
> two other servers, I've requested them on a few servers that I use, but
> will request them on more servers over the next few days. If they don't
> show up on servers that you use, feel free to request them there.
>
> Treat the new groups as substitutes for
>
> mozilla.support.firefox
> mozilla.support.thunderbird
> mozilla.support.seamonkey

I have just checked in Giganews and mozilla.support.* are not there
anymore (I am not sure if they ever existed since I never suscribed to
those groups). The sad thing about them dissapearing in giganews is
that giganews has a 20 years retention, and it can be used as a
historical archive (it's much better than the abominable googlegroups).

Since those groups were moderated the quality of the content was much
better than most newsgroups.

The mozilla.support.* groups are still there in aioe, but Aioe only
has 6 months retention, and the messages in Aioe will dissapear soon
anyway.

Re: new mozilla groups

<if5lqlFd5urU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=584&group=comp.misc#584

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sat, 1 May 2021 19:43:30 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 1 May 2021 18:43 UTC

Javier wrote:

> I have just checked in Giganews and mozilla.support.* are not there

the mozilla.* groups never were on giganews, unfortunately giganews seem
too incompetent/unwilling to add the the alt.* groups, I have asked them
in three different ways.

> The mozilla.support.* groups are still there in aioe

and the new alt.* groups too, did you refresh?

Re: new mozilla groups

<0_GdnYUsaJiIMBD9nZ2dnUU78a3NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=586&group=comp.misc#586

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Javier)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sat, 01 May 2021 14:33:41 -0500
 by: Javier - Sat, 1 May 2021 19:33 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> Javier wrote:
>
>> I have just checked in Giganews and mozilla.support.* are not there
>
> the mozilla.* groups never were on giganews, unfortunately giganews seem
> too incompetent/unwilling to add the the alt.* groups, I have asked them
> in three different ways.
>
>> The mozilla.support.* groups are still there in aioe
>
> and the new alt.* groups too, did you refresh?

I didn't know giganews was so reluctant ot add alt.* groups.
I just use giganews because my ISP server usenet.plus.net relies on it.

lynx nntp://usenet.plus.net/alt.comp.software.firefox

gives "error 411: no such group". I thought it would be just a matter
of time to add those to Giganews, but from what you say they may not add
them.

In any case, they are accesible through aioe, so it's not a big problem.

lynx nntp://news.aioe.org/alt.comp.software.firefox

gives 20 articles in that group in Aioe.

And mozilla.support.firefox is still on Aioe

lynx nntp://news.aioe.org/mozilla.support.firefox

gives 6 months of articles.

Re: new mozilla groups

<if5p3nFdprpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=587&group=comp.misc#587

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sat, 1 May 2021 20:39:32 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 1 May 2021 19:39 UTC

Javier wrote:

> I didn't know giganews was so reluctant ot add alt.* groups.
> I just use giganews because my ISP server usenet.plus.net relies on it.

I didn't expect them to add alt.* groups automatically, so I requested
it, after verifying my plusnet IP addr, giganews recognised me as a
plusnet customer, and hence an indirect giganews customer ... then they
claimed the new groups already existed on their server (as you've seen,
they don't) so I asked Plusnet's Bob Pullen to request them, I think he
hit a brick wall too, so I used the giganews "request a group" webpage,
and no response to that either :-(

Re: new mozilla groups

<if5p6cFdprpU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=588&group=comp.misc#588

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sat, 1 May 2021 20:40:58 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 1 May 2021 19:40 UTC

Javier wrote:

> And mozilla.support.firefox is still on Aioe
>
> lynxnntp://news.aioe.org/mozilla.support.firefox

Is that read-only, or if you reply to old threads do your replies get
propagated anywhere?

Re: new mozilla groups

<BPKdnXY1OuqeUBD9nZ2dnUU78QHNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=589&group=comp.misc#589

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Javier)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sat, 01 May 2021 16:49:55 -0500
 by: Javier - Sat, 1 May 2021 21:49 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> Javier wrote:
>
>> And mozilla.support.firefox is still on Aioe
>>
>> lynx nntp://news.aioe.org/mozilla.support.firefox
>
> Is that read-only, or if you reply to old threads do your replies get
> propagated anywhere?

I have just tried to post to mozilla.support.firefox from news.aioe.org
and I get this error message:
"Posting is not allowed to mozilla.support.firefox"

The same thing happens for mozilla.test when trying to post from Aioe.
"Posting is not allowed to mozilla.test"

But mozilla.test is still getting new messages in Aioe. Last meesage is
from 1st May (today).

Last message in mozilla.support.firefox is from 19th April (14 days
ago) originating in Panix server and propagated to Aioe. That message
does not appear news.mozilla.org.

I don't know how Eli managed to post, because his message lacks the
'Approved' header.

From: Eli the Bearded <*@eli.users.panix.com>
Newsgroups: mozilla.support.firefox
Subject: Re: **THIS FORUM WILL BE SHUT DOWN SOON**