Adding features does not necessarily increase functionality -- it just makes the manuals thicker.

computers / alt.windows7.general / Re: Realtek bluetooth driver and Firefox (videos)

SubjectAuthor
* Realtek bluetooth driver and Firefox (videos)gfretwell
`* Re: Realtek bluetooth driver and Firefox (videos)Paul
 `* Re: Realtek bluetooth driver and Firefox (videos)gfretwell
  `* Re: Realtek bluetooth driver and Firefox (videos)Paul
   `* Re: Realtek bluetooth driver and Firefox (videos)gfretwell
    `* Re: Realtek bluetooth driver and Firefox (videos)Paul
     `* Re: Realtek bluetooth driver and Firefox (videos)gfretwell
      `* Re: Realtek bluetooth driver and Firefox (videos)Paul
       `* Re: Realtek bluetooth driver and Firefox (videos)Paul
        `- Re: Realtek bluetooth driver and Firefox (videos)gfretwell

1
Realtek bluetooth driver and Firefox (videos)

<ing92i5v2qgbda2fuv0q0onelc5q396539@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5883&group=alt.windows7.general#5883

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Realtek bluetooth driver and Firefox (videos)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 19:09:19 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 23:09 UTC

Since I installed the Realtek bluetooth driver I notice Firefox
locking up ad doing other strange things. For one thing my DOS MP3
player can't find the files. I can always make it fail by starting a
video then turning on my bluetooth headset. The only way out is to
reboot the system. If the headset is connected when it boots, things
seem to work OK as long as I go straight to the video. If I disconnect
it and reconnect it screws up again.

Re: Realtek bluetooth driver and Firefox (videos)

<u02iej$gqde$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5884&group=alt.windows7.general#5884

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Realtek bluetooth driver and Firefox (videos)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 19:43:16 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 23:43 UTC

On 3/29/2023 7:09 PM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
> Since I installed the Realtek bluetooth driver I notice Firefox
> locking up ad doing other strange things. For one thing my DOS MP3
> player can't find the files. I can always make it fail by starting a
> video then turning on my bluetooth headset. The only way out is to
> reboot the system. If the headset is connected when it boots, things
> seem to work OK as long as I go straight to the video. If I disconnect
> it and reconnect it screws up again.

There was some issue on Win10. Check the version of your drivers,
and see what else is available.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/updating-to-a-new-version-of-windows-10-on-devices-with-some-driver-versions-for-realtek-bluetooth-radios-059c426a-755f-b88c-5c34-e0d1ecccf9c1

Paul

Re: Realtek bluetooth driver and Firefox (videos)

<psib2ihehvr2nv9ufmol9cc4tokapmdg4g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5885&group=alt.windows7.general#5885

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 13:52:03 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 17:52 UTC

On Wed, 29 Mar 2023 19:43:16 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
wrote:

>On 3/29/2023 7:09 PM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
>> Since I installed the Realtek bluetooth driver I notice Firefox
>> locking up ad doing other strange things. For one thing my DOS MP3
>> player can't find the files. I can always make it fail by starting a
>> video then turning on my bluetooth headset. The only way out is to
>> reboot the system. If the headset is connected when it boots, things
>> seem to work OK as long as I go straight to the video. If I disconnect
>> it and reconnect it screws up again.
>>

>There was some issue on Win10. Check the version of your drivers,
>and see what else is available.
>
>https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/updating-to-a-new-version-of-windows-10-on-devices-with-some-driver-versions-for-realtek-bluetooth-radios-059c426a-755f-b88c-5c34-e0d1ecccf9c1
>
> Paul

As the newsgroup might infer, I am running 7. I will look around and
see if there is a better driver tho. Thanks. This was the one bundled
with the radio (Walmart)

Re: Realtek bluetooth driver and Firefox (videos)

<u04im3$vn32$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5886&group=alt.windows7.general#5886

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 13:59:33 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 17:59 UTC

On 3/30/2023 1:52 PM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2023 19:43:16 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> On 3/29/2023 7:09 PM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
>>> Since I installed the Realtek bluetooth driver I notice Firefox
>>> locking up ad doing other strange things. For one thing my DOS MP3
>>> player can't find the files. I can always make it fail by starting a
>>> video then turning on my bluetooth headset. The only way out is to
>>> reboot the system. If the headset is connected when it boots, things
>>> seem to work OK as long as I go straight to the video. If I disconnect
>>> it and reconnect it screws up again.
>>>

>> There was some issue on Win10. Check the version of your drivers,
>> and see what else is available.
>>
>> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/updating-to-a-new-version-of-windows-10-on-devices-with-some-driver-versions-for-realtek-bluetooth-radios-059c426a-755f-b88c-5c34-e0d1ecccf9c1
>>
>> Paul
>
> As the newsgroup might infer, I am running 7. I will look around and
> see if there is a better driver tho. Thanks. This was the one bundled
> with the radio (Walmart)

Sure. I just wanted to indicate, there was a problem on Win10,
and I don't see a reason why Win7 could not be a victim too.

Paul

Re: Realtek bluetooth driver and Firefox (videos)

<d8vc2ihjjd6mejgcgff366j6dhih2mr88e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5887&group=alt.windows7.general#5887

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 02:30:11 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 06:30 UTC

On Thu, 30 Mar 2023 13:59:33 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
wrote:

>On 3/30/2023 1:52 PM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
>> On Wed, 29 Mar 2023 19:43:16 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> There was some issue on Win10. Check the version of your drivers,
>>> and see what else is available.
>>>
>>> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/updating-to-a-new-version-of-windows-10-on-devices-with-some-driver-versions-for-realtek-bluetooth-radios-059c426a-755f-b88c-5c34-e0d1ecccf9c1
>>>
>>> Paul
>>
>> As the newsgroup might infer, I am running 7. I will look around and
>> see if there is a better driver tho. Thanks. This was the one bundled
>> with the radio (Walmart)
>>

>Sure. I just wanted to indicate, there was a problem on Win10,
>and I don't see a reason why Win7 could not be a victim too.
>
> Paul
OK Thanks.
I did try 2 other drivers, one from Lenovo and the one Microsoft sends
you. They didn't work at all. It would not connect to my headset. This
is not the regular radio I guess. It is supposed to be extended range
so I guess it uses another driver. The one I have is a later version
than the one Lenovo had (8xx to 10xx). I did delete the old one before
I loaded the new (older) one.

Re: Realtek bluetooth driver and Firefox (videos)

<u06bcf$1c6cj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5888&group=alt.windows7.general#5888

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 06:07:12 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 10:07 UTC

On 3/31/2023 2:30 AM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Mar 2023 13:59:33 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> On 3/30/2023 1:52 PM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:

>>> As the newsgroup might infer, I am running 7. I will look around and
>>> see if there is a better driver tho. Thanks. This was the one bundled
>>> with the radio (Walmart)
>>>

>> Sure. I just wanted to indicate, there was a problem on Win10,
>> and I don't see a reason why Win7 could not be a victim too.
>>
>> Paul
> OK Thanks.
> I did try 2 other drivers, one from Lenovo and the one Microsoft sends
> you. They didn't work at all. It would not connect to my headset. This
> is not the regular radio I guess. It is supposed to be extended range
> so I guess it uses another driver. The one I have is a later version
> than the one Lenovo had (8xx to 10xx). I did delete the old one before
> I loaded the new (older) one.

Devices like this, might be for the headphone end. These
have specific profiles like A2DP, for audio.

https://www.realtek.com/en/products/communications-network-ics/category/bluetooth

But the driver is for the RF radio on the computer end.
It supports more profiles, than just the ones for headphones.
RealTek makes a USB device which is a bluetooth transceiver
for the host end.

0bda Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
0821 RTL8821A Bluetooth

Mine is a Broadcom transceiver. The reference to Asus tells us that the
RF chip has a provision for a serial bus and you can connect an EEPROM with
a custom ID. I think the driver is likely from Broadcom. I'm providing the
picture, so you can see the Device Manager display of the identifier.
Even when a device does not have a driver, you should be able to look
for this information on an <unknown> device and its Properties.

0b05 ASUSTek Computer, Inc.
17cb Broadcom BCM20702A0 Bluetooth

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/MHfVxxGj/hardware-id-bluetooth.gif

The host end, supports a lot more profiles than just A2DP. Like,
to send files between two Windows computers, there is "Send-To"
and it's like an FTP sort of protocol. You can send small files
between computers (because the transfer rate is quite low).

One problem with the USB.IDS file, is it's missing a lot of stuff,
and if RealTek has made something newer than RTL8821A, it might
well be missing from the file. You can ask Device Manager to update
the driver, and looking in Windows Update is an option, but maybe
the MS support will not be so good for this avenue.

Paul

Re: Realtek bluetooth driver and Firefox (videos)

<5s0e2iln2550qtvu0jia5ahknshh4igu6q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5889&group=alt.windows7.general#5889

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 12:07:31 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 16:07 UTC

On Fri, 31 Mar 2023 06:07:12 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
wrote:

>On 3/31/2023 2:30 AM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
>> On Thu, 30 Mar 2023 13:59:33 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> Sure. I just wanted to indicate, there was a problem on Win10,
>>> and I don't see a reason why Win7 could not be a victim too.
>>>
>>> Paul
>> OK Thanks.
>> I did try 2 other drivers, one from Lenovo and the one Microsoft sends
>> you. They didn't work at all. It would not connect to my headset. This
>> is not the regular radio I guess. It is supposed to be extended range
>> so I guess it uses another driver. The one I have is a later version
>> than the one Lenovo had (8xx to 10xx). I did delete the old one before
>> I loaded the new (older) one.
>>

>Devices like this, might be for the headphone end. These
>have specific profiles like A2DP, for audio.
>
>https://www.realtek.com/en/products/communications-network-ics/category/bluetooth
>
>But the driver is for the RF radio on the computer end.
>It supports more profiles, than just the ones for headphones.
>RealTek makes a USB device which is a bluetooth transceiver
>for the host end.
>
>0bda Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
> 0821 RTL8821A Bluetooth
>
>Mine is a Broadcom transceiver. The reference to Asus tells us that the
>RF chip has a provision for a serial bus and you can connect an EEPROM with
>a custom ID. I think the driver is likely from Broadcom. I'm providing the
>picture, so you can see the Device Manager display of the identifier.
>Even when a device does not have a driver, you should be able to look
>for this information on an <unknown> device and its Properties.
>
>0b05 ASUSTek Computer, Inc.
> 17cb Broadcom BCM20702A0 Bluetooth
>
> [Picture]
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/MHfVxxGj/hardware-id-bluetooth.gif
>
>The host end, supports a lot more profiles than just A2DP. Like,
>to send files between two Windows computers, there is "Send-To"
>and it's like an FTP sort of protocol. You can send small files
>between computers (because the transfer rate is quite low).
>
>One problem with the USB.IDS file, is it's missing a lot of stuff,
>and if RealTek has made something newer than RTL8821A, it might
>well be missing from the file. You can ask Device Manager to update
>the driver, and looking in Windows Update is an option, but maybe
>the MS support will not be so good for this avenue.
>
> Paul

This is the screen from the driver that works (with the bug)
https://gfretwell.com/ftp/BT%20screen%20shot.jpg

It does appear to be a problem with A2DP with the drivers that fail.
It looks like it sees the headset OK but never really connects and
when I get to the screen that asks if I want to play music or transfer
files, the link I click is dead. The cursor makes it look like a live
link but nothing happens.
For now I think I am just going to live with the original driver. Who
know, maybe all of this reloading stuff fixed something :)

Thanks for your time
I do have a better idea of how this all works now.
Push comes to shove, I may go back to my 900mz headset. With the
tricked up antenna I have, that one gets out to 300-400 feet. I will
keep the BT for the TV.

Re: Realtek bluetooth driver and Firefox (videos)

<u07b72$1hl2e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5890&group=alt.windows7.general#5890

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 15:10:26 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 19:10 UTC

On 3/31/2023 12:07 PM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
> [...]
>> the MS support will not be so good for this avenue.
>>
>> Paul
>>

> This is the screen from the driver that works (with the bug)
> https://gfretwell.com/ftp/BT%20screen%20shot.jpg
>
> It does appear to be a problem with A2DP with the drivers that fail.
> It looks like it sees the headset OK but never really connects and
> when I get to the screen that asks if I want to play music or transfer
> files, the link I click is dead. The cursor makes it look like a live
> link but nothing happens.
> For now I think I am just going to live with the original driver. Who
> know, maybe all of this reloading stuff fixed something :)
>
> Thanks for your time
> I do have a better idea of how this all works now.
> Push comes to shove, I may go back to my 900mz headset. With the
> tricked up antenna I have, that one gets out to 300-400 feet. I will

VID_2550 PID 8761 REV 2 We're not allowed to know who registered 2550 as a manufacturer.
The chip is from RealTek, the PCB of the USB device, by "2550".

Realtek bluetooth usb adapter RTL8671b. This is a great source of "raw" information.

https://gist.github.com/peteristhegreat/b48da772167f86f43decbd34edbd0849

*******

OK, let's pick one of their selections.

The RealTek site, I am unable at the moment, to find a Bluetooth download link.
Some of the other RealTek downloads in the recent past, required an email address
to get them. They were rather large as downloads go for a driver, but that is audio for
you.

The Bluetooth seems to be even worse.

https://catalog.s.download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/driver/drvs/2022/05/b2f920d0-3a7c-4d1f-922e-f8c0f9c15f6f_e4dcdc73e7dc065c920829cdd7a10ecccdacfad3.cab

It's good that this lacks any identification whatsoever.

Using 7ZIP, I get:

Rtkfilter.inf

There is the whiff of the generic about it, with some customizations.

[SourceDisksFiles]
PidVid_List.dat = 1
RtkBtfilter.sys = 1,,
rtl8761b_mp_chip_bt40_fw_asic_rom_patch_new.dat = 1 <=== it's supposed to be BT5

[Manufacturer]
%REALTEK% = Realtek,NTamd64.10.0 ;NTamd64
;We only support Vista and later
[Realtek.NTamd64.10.0] ;NTamd64
%RealTK5.DeviceDesc% = RsBthFilter, USB\VID_0BDA&PID_8771 ;8761B
%RealTK51.DeviceDesc% = RsBthFilter, USB\VID_0BDA&PID_A725 ;8761B
%ASUSBT500.DeviceDesc% = RsBthFilter, USB\VID_0B05&PID_190E ;8761B
%RealTK51.DeviceDesc% = RsBthFilter, USB\VID_0BDA&PID_2550 ;8761B <=== a Realtek generic
%RealTK51.DeviceDesc% = RsBthFilter, USB\VID_2550&PID_8761 ;8761B <=== a match for yours!!!
%RealTK51.DeviceDesc% = RsBthFilter, USB\VID_33f2&PID_1688 ;8761B
%RealTK5.DeviceDesc% = RsBthFilter, USB\VID_2B89&PID_8761 ;8761B
%RealTK5x.DeviceDesc% = RsBthFilter, USB\VID_3188&PID_8771 ;8761B XiangFan
%EdimaxBT50.DeviceDesc% = RsBthFilter, USB\VID_04BB&PID_0A15 ;Edimax USB-BT50LE
%TPLink.DeviceDesc% = RsBthFilter, USB\VID_2357&PID_0604 ;TP-Link Bluetooth
%RealTK51.DeviceDesc% = RsBthFilter, USB\VID_0BDA&PID_A729
%BestBuy.DeviceDesc% = RsBthFilter, USB\VID_6655&PID_8771
%RealTK5.DeviceDesc% = RsBthFilter, USB\VID_0411&PID_0374 ;Buffalo

[RsBthFilter.NT]
Include=bth.inf <=== this is a call to an OS-provided driver
Needs=BthUsb.NT

[RsBthFilter.NT.HW.Reg]
HKR, , LowerFilters, 0x00010000, RtkBtFilter <=== a filter driver, needs a physical driver stack
in order to sandwich in.

Why are they doing that ? Is it a means to exclude Windows 7 ?
What is my Device Manager list of entries under Bluetooth going to look like ?
(All I can test here, is my collection of adapters, which is only
a Broadcom and an Intel (which is a PITA to install physically)).

This is why I have concerns about hardware manufacturers and which
manufacturers remain useful for computers.

On my Win7SP1 x64, I see in Device Manager

Bluetooth Radios
Asus USB-BT400 # fair number of driver modules
Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator # bthenum.sys

Whereas that .cab above, is only a portion of a driver.
Maybe on Win10/Win11, a generic driver fills out the stack ?
Does Win7 have a generic driver ?
Does Realtek really support Windows 7 users with a full driver ?

On Windows 11 (I have the same USB radio on that machine), it looks like

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Realtek bluetooth driver and Firefox (videos)

<u07fdn$1iaro$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5891&group=alt.windows7.general#5891

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 16:22:15 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 20:22 UTC

On 3/31/2023 3:10 PM, Paul wrote:
> [...]
>
> This shows you the degree of completeness of the Win81x64 driver hit.
> Yes, it has the "filter" driver like that .cab I downloaded has got.
> But it has the physical stack, as well as the LowerFilter. Older
> OSes may not have a generic physical stack for the job.
>
>    [Picture]
>
>    https://i.postimg.cc/HsPGwPPP/Asus-BT500-8761b.gif
>
> So whatever is on your product CD, is pretty unique. If
> pulling drivers from chinese sites, be careful (even before
> COVID, it was risky pulling webcam drivers from over there,
> I got a hot scan once doing that). A driver from the RealTek
> site itself would be safe-stuff, but then, they're not even
> offering us a URL in this case. If there was a URL, it's been
> removed. No leads in a search.
>
>    Paul

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Realtek bluetooth driver and Firefox (videos)

<kotg2idek218ctaiga4lqe6e22udsa74bk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5892&group=alt.windows7.general#5892

From: gfretw...@aol.com