"The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl." -- Dave Barry

computers / comp.sys.mac.misc / Re: Does anybody make an Thunderbird usb adapter?

SubjectAuthor
* Does anybody make an Thunderbird usb adapter?Robert Peirce
+- Re: Does anybody make an Thunderbird usb adapter?Robert Peirce
+* Re: Does anybody make an Thunderbird usb adapter?Robert Peirce
|`* Re: Does anybody make an Thunderbird usb adapter?Your Name
| `- Re: Does anybody make an Thunderbird usb adapter?Chris Ridd
`- Re: Does anybody make an Thunderbird usb adapter?Ant

1
Does anybody make an Thunderbird usb adapter?

<sm6o6j$r9v$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=592&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#592

From: bob...@peirce-family.com (Robert Peirce)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc
Subject: Does anybody make an Thunderbird usb adapter?
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 16:22:43 -0400
 by: Robert Peirce - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 20:22 UTC

I have a MacBook Pro which has only two USB 3 ports and I need to attach
three USB devices. It also has two Thunderbolt 2 ports. Does anybody
make an adapter that would allow me to plug the USB device into the
thunderbolt port?

Re: Does anybody make an Thunderbird usb adapter?

<sm6oas$r9v$2@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=593&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#593

From: bob...@peirce-family.com (Robert Peirce)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc
Subject: Re: Does anybody make an Thunderbird usb adapter?
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 16:25:00 -0400
 by: Robert Peirce - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 20:25 UTC

Wow did I misspell that!

I'm looking for a thunderbolt to usb adapter.

Re: Does anybody make an Thunderbird usb adapter?

<sm6pgn$1ccf$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=594&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#594

From: bob...@peirce-family.com (Robert Peirce)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 16:45:10 -0400
 by: Robert Peirce - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 20:45 UTC

I forgot to mention that the load is such that I can't use an external
multi-port hub to plug two devices into one usb port. I've tried it and
it doesn't work. Each device needs to be on its own internal hub.

Right now I have a 5Tb USB 3 HD drive as a music source on one port and
an iFi DAC on another so I'm ok for now. The problem will occur if I
need to add a bootable drive for an alternate OS.

The software won't run on Catalina or later so I am running Mojave and I
have Mojave on a bootable SSD if I have to upgrade. Before you suggest
it, Parallels doesn't work either for this application.

One solution I may have to consider but don't want to is buying another
computer just to support this stuff.

Re: Does anybody make an Thunderbird usb adapter?

<sm73m8$17v8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=595&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#595

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 12:38:48 +1300
 by: Your Name - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 23:38 UTC

On 2021-11-06 20:45:10 +0000, Robert Peirce said:

> I forgot to mention that the load is such that I can't use an external
> multi-port hub to plug two devices into one usb port. I've tried it
> and it doesn't work.

Was it a powered hub (power via wall socket) or just unpowered (power
from the computer ports)? Powered hub is often better for "high drain"
devices.

Even with an unpowered hub, you can sometimes get around it by getting
more power using a double-plug from the computer's ports into the hub,
or double-plug from the hub into the external device.

> Each device needs to be on its own internal hub.
>
> Right now I have a 5Tb USB 3 HD drive as a music source on one port and
> an iFi DAC on another so I'm ok for now. The problem will occur if I
> need to add a bootable drive for an alternate OS.

Make sure your Mac can actually boot from an external drive before
spending money though.

> The software won't run on Catalina or later so I am running Mojave and
> I have Mojave on a bootable SSD if I have to upgrade. Before you
> suggest it, Parallels doesn't work either for this application.
>
> One solution I may have to consider but don't want to is buying another
> computer just to support this stuff.

Another option might be to plug the music drive into your network
router/modem. Some will work happily that way, but others don't.

Or get just one bigger external drive and partition it into two smaller ones.

Re: Does anybody make an Thunderbird usb adapter?

<sm8q86$spc$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=596&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#596

From: chrisr...@mac.com (Chris Ridd)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 15:09:58 +0000
 by: Chris Ridd - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 15:09 UTC

On 06/11/2021 23:38, Your Name wrote:
> On 2021-11-06 20:45:10 +0000, Robert Peirce said:
>>
>> I forgot to mention that the load is such that I can't use an external
>> multi-port hub to plug two devices into one usb port.  I've tried it
>> and it doesn't work.
>
> Was it a powered hub (power via wall socket) or just unpowered (power
> from the computer ports)? Powered hub is often better for "high drain"
> devices.
>
> Even with an unpowered hub, you can sometimes get around it by getting
> more power using a double-plug from the computer's ports into the hub,
> or double-plug from the hub into the external device.

The Caldigit Element might work. It is powered, and it looks very
similar to another couple of devices from OWC and (memory fails), so
they're probably all coming from the same Chinese factory.

--
Chris

Re: Does anybody make an Thunderbird usb adapter?

<ANSdnQDAVbRmMBX8nZ2dnUU7-Q2dnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=597&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#597

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2021 22:56:27 -0600
 by: Ant - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 04:56 UTC

Ask Mozilla about Thunderbird? [grin] ;)

--
It's too dark already. Can we please stick with daylight saving forever? :(
| |o o| |