But maybe we don't really need that... -- Larry Wall in <199709011851.LAA07101@wall.org>

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Windows not coming out of sleep mode

SubjectAuthor
* Windows not coming out of sleep modeBill
+* Re: Windows not coming out of sleep modeAndy Burnelli
|`* Re: Windows not coming out of sleep modeBill
| +* Re: Windows not coming out of sleep modeBill
| |`* Re: Windows not coming out of sleep modePaul
| | `* Re: Windows not coming out of sleep modeAndy Burnelli
| |  `* Re: Windows not coming out of sleep modeBill
| |   `* Re: Windows not coming out of sleep modeAndy Burnelli
| |    `- Re: Windows not coming out of sleep modeBill
| `- Re: Windows not coming out of sleep modeAndy Burnelli
`- Re: Windows not coming out of sleep modeT

1
Windows not coming out of sleep mode

<MlbPJ.27910$4JN7.26320@fx05.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59217&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59217

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Subject: Windows not coming out of sleep mode
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 13:26:52 -0500
 by: Bill - Wed, 16 Feb 2022 18:26 UTC

About 3 days ago, Windows performed an update which was unsuccessful in
the sense that when I restarted the system I got the "bsod". When
restarted it again, it booted properly.

But now, the system will not come out of sleep mode--without me pushing
the power button. Typically a mouse click or keyboard button will "wake"
it.

I have tried a few things already to no avail. And I have had this same
problem in the past, but I don't recall the "fix". Since I sort of know
the source of what caused the problem, does this help provide for an
easy solution? Thanks!

Re: Windows not coming out of sleep mode

<sujl2t$7e8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59221&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59221

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Windows not coming out of sleep mode
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 19:59:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Wed, 16 Feb 2022 19:59 UTC

On Wed, 16 Feb 2022 13:26:52 -0500, Bill wrote:

> About 3 days ago, Windows performed an update which was unsuccessful in
> the sense that when I restarted the system I got the "bsod". When
> restarted it again, it booted properly.
>
> But now, the system will not come out of sleep mode--without me pushing
> the power button. Typically a mouse click or keyboard button will "wake"
> it.
>
> I have tried a few things already to no avail. And I have had this same
> problem in the past, but I don't recall the "fix". Since I sort of know
> the source of what caused the problem, does this help provide for an
> easy solution? Thanks!

I have dealt with a similar problem for two (or is it three?) years now.
a. Won't wake up sleep
b. Boots three times to BSOD and then I get to "recover" things
c. Recovery never works

I don't even want to list the endless "tests" & "remedies" I've performed.

The summary is these few heart-felt sympathetic takeaways:
a. It's almost always memory related (so pick & pull the memory sticks)
b. BSOD test progs will _never_ figure it out (even if you run memory tests)
c. Best bet is simply to turn off hiberfile.sys & sleep mode in power setup

In summary, my solution, after _extensive_ tests, was simply this:
1. Pull memory sticks until you find the bad one (and leave it out!)
2. Eliminate the chance of the machine ever hibernating or sleeping.

Good luck.

Re: Windows not coming out of sleep mode

<MPcPJ.37283$f2a5.35609@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59223&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59223

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 15:07:07 -0500
 by: Bill - Wed, 16 Feb 2022 20:07 UTC

On 2/16/2022 2:59 PM, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2022 13:26:52 -0500, Bill wrote:
>
>> About 3 days ago, Windows performed an update which was unsuccessful in
>> the sense that when I restarted the system I got the "bsod". When
>> restarted it again, it booted properly.
>>
>> But now, the system will not come out of sleep mode--without me pushing
>> the power button. Typically a mouse click or keyboard button will "wake"
>> it.
>>
>> I have tried a few things already to no avail. And I have had this same
>> problem in the past, but I don't recall the "fix". Since I sort of know
>> the source of what caused the problem, does this help provide for an
>> easy solution? Thanks!
>
> I have dealt with a similar problem for two (or is it three?) years now.
> a. Won't wake up sleep
> b. Boots three times to BSOD and then I get to "recover" things
> c. Recovery never works
>
> I don't even want to list the endless "tests" & "remedies" I've performed.
>
> The summary is these few heart-felt sympathetic takeaways:
> a. It's almost always memory related (so pick & pull the memory sticks)
> b. BSOD test progs will _never_ figure it out (even if you run memory tests)
> c. Best bet is simply to turn off hiberfile.sys & sleep mode in power setup
>
> In summary, my solution, after _extensive_ tests, was simply this:
> 1. Pull memory sticks until you find the bad one (and leave it out!)
> 2. Eliminate the chance of the machine ever hibernating or sleeping.
>
> Good luck.

Thank you, but I truly believe that it's a software problem.
And, at least in my case, it was caused by Windows update.
It appears that it was a pretty extensive update and it seems like
Windows should have taken a "snapshot" before performing it. But so
far, it doesn't appear that way. I did a backup a week ago,
which created a system image, but I'd prefer not to go that route
if I don't have to.

Re: Windows not coming out of sleep mode

<avdPJ.40016$3jp8.11943@fx33.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59228&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59228

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 15:53:26 -0500
 by: Bill - Wed, 16 Feb 2022 20:53 UTC

On 2/16/2022 3:07 PM, Bill wrote:
> On 2/16/2022 2:59 PM, Andy Burnelli wrote:
>> On Wed, 16 Feb 2022 13:26:52 -0500, Bill wrote:
>>
>>> About 3 days ago, Windows performed an update which was unsuccessful in
>>> the sense that when I restarted the system I got the "bsod".  When
>>> restarted it again, it booted properly.
>>>
>>> But now, the system will not come out of sleep mode--without me pushing
>>> the power button. Typically a mouse click or keyboard button will "wake"
>>> it.
>>>
>>> I have tried a few things already to no avail. And I have had this same
>>> problem in the past, but I don't recall the "fix".  Since I sort of know
>>> the source of what caused the problem, does this help provide for an
>>> easy solution?  Thanks!
>>
>> I have dealt with a similar problem for two (or is it three?) years now.
>> a. Won't wake up sleep
>> b. Boots three times to BSOD and then I get to "recover" things
>> c. Recovery never works
>>
>> I don't even want to list the endless "tests" & "remedies" I've
>> performed.
>>
>> The summary is these few heart-felt sympathetic takeaways:
>> a. It's almost always memory related (so pick & pull the memory sticks)
>> b. BSOD test progs will _never_ figure it out (even if you run memory
>> tests)
>> c. Best bet is simply to turn off hiberfile.sys & sleep mode in power
>> setup
>>
>> In summary, my solution, after _extensive_ tests, was simply this:
>> 1. Pull memory sticks until you find the bad one (and leave it out!)
>> 2. Eliminate the chance of the machine ever hibernating or sleeping.
>>
>> Good luck.
>>

> Thank you, but I truly believe that it's a software problem.
> And, at least in my case, it was caused by Windows update.
> It appears that it was a pretty extensive update and it seems like
> Windows should have taken a "snapshot" before performing it.  But so
> far, it doesn't appear that way.  I did a backup a week ago,
> which created a system image, but I'd prefer not to go that route
> if I don't have to.

FWIW, even though my system said it was "up to date", forcing Windows to
look again and downloading KB5010415 fixed the (wake-up) problem created
by KB5010342. I like it when things work the way they are supposed to! : )

Re: Windows not coming out of sleep mode

<sujqgr$mb1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59231&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59231

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 21:32:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Wed, 16 Feb 2022 21:32 UTC

On Wed, 16 Feb 2022 15:07:07 -0500, Bill wrote:

> Thank you, but I truly believe that it's a software problem.
> And, at least in my case, it was caused by Windows update.

I truly understand.
I really do.

I felt _exactly_ the same way as you do, and I was as sure as you are.
Mine started after a Win10 update attempt that failed also.

To debug I ran WhoCrashed, BlueScreenView, WinCrashReport, perfmon /rel,
AppCrashView, Event Viewer System Filter, WhatIsHang, WhySoSlow, Windows
Performance Analyzer, CPU-Z, CPUID HWMonitor, HeavyLoad, IntelBurnTest,
OCCT, Prime95, Sleeper, StressMyPc, DuMo, SuMo, MaxMem, MemTest,
DeviceCleanup, USB Treeview, FurMark, MSIAfterburner, Valley Benchmark, etc.

I even booted to Hiren's Boot CD PE (nowadays it's a flash drive) & Ubuntu.
When I say good luck, I am seriously feeling for you.
I really am.

If I put the one (now marked) memory stick back in, where _all_ test good
over weekends and weekends of running memtests, only on Windows (not on
Ubuntu ever!) the system will do pretty much what yours does. Randomly.

Hence I wish you the best as it's not easy figuring this out. After all that
work I concluded what I said prior (but yours could very well be different).

It's simply my two cents.

Re: Windows not coming out of sleep mode

<suk32j$628$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59233&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59233

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 18:58:10 -0500
 by: Paul - Wed, 16 Feb 2022 23:58 UTC

On 2/16/2022 3:53 PM, Bill wrote:
> On 2/16/2022 3:07 PM, Bill wrote:

>>> I have dealt with a similar problem for two (or is it three?) years now.
>>> a. Won't wake up sleep
>>> b. Boots three times to BSOD and then I get to "recover" things
>>> c. Recovery never works
>>>
>>> I don't even want to list the endless "tests" & "remedies" I've performed.
>>>
>>> The summary is these few heart-felt sympathetic takeaways:
>>> a. It's almost always memory related (so pick & pull the memory sticks)
>>> b. BSOD test progs will _never_ figure it out (even if you run memory tests)
>>> c. Best bet is simply to turn off hiberfile.sys & sleep mode in power setup
>>>
>>> In summary, my solution, after _extensive_ tests, was simply this:
>>> 1. Pull memory sticks until you find the bad one (and leave it out!)
>>> 2. Eliminate the chance of the machine ever hibernating or sleeping.
>>>
>>> Good luck.
>>>

>> Thank you, but I truly believe that it's a software problem.
>> And, at least in my case, it was caused by Windows update.
>> It appears that it was a pretty extensive update and it seems like
>> Windows should have taken a "snapshot" before performing it.  But so far, it doesn't appear that way.  I did a backup a week ago,
>> which created a system image, but I'd prefer not to go that route
>> if I don't have to.
>

> FWIW, even though my system said it was "up to date", forcing Windows to look again and downloading KB5010415 fixed the (wake-up) problem created by KB5010342.  I like it when things work the way they are supposed to! : )

Occasionally... you are one reboot from sanity.

Sleep is related to the ACPI subsystem. A loss of
that HAL, could cause sleep to be disabled. Similarly,
an issue with a Power Schema (selecting a power scheme
in the Power control panel), might have something to
do with it. There are a couple hundred registry entries
related to ACPI and power, many of them protected with
GUIDs or CLSIDs to make it almost impossible to fix.
(The values are not random - web articles describe
some of them.)

For example, in Linux, booting with "noacpi" on the boot line,
disables sleep. Windows never tries to do that intentionally,
and on the modern versions, tries to run only ACPI HALs. A "HAL"
is the Device Manager "Computer" entry :-) There for all to see,
what the plan is.

If a Windows Update change is in-flight, and trashes the ability
to boot, you can use the offline version of this from a booted
installer DVD and its Command Prompt. This assumes a certain
WinPE bug has not mislabeled the C: drive of course. Do a dir
on C: and verify the response is what you think it should be.
For example, I create a text file "IM_Win10.txt" on my C: so
I can easily tell where I am. Maybe E: contains "IM_Win7.txt".

DISM /image:c:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

That command is stateless - if C: doesn't have a Windows Update
in flight, the command does nothing. Usage of the command is
only recommended if you're "stuck".

Paul

Re: Windows not coming out of sleep mode

<sum07t$12dv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59271&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59271

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 17:21:54 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 17 Feb 2022 17:21 UTC

Paul wrote:

> Sleep is related to the ACPI subsystem. A loss of
> that HAL, could cause sleep to be disabled.

I have to admit openly I never really thought much about how "sleep" differs
from "hibernate", where I forget which (but I think it's hibernate) that you
have to turn off anyway in order to dual boot to Ubuntu/Windows and still be
able to (almost) completely have read/write access to the entirety of _both_
file systems simultaneously while booted to Unbuntu.

I just turn 'em both off.

Re: Windows not coming out of sleep mode

<htxPJ.82563$t2Bb.19331@fx98.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59293&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59293

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 14:36:44 -0500
 by: Bill - Thu, 17 Feb 2022 19:36 UTC

On 2/17/2022 12:21 PM, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>
>> Sleep is related to the ACPI subsystem. A loss of
>> that HAL, could cause sleep to be disabled.
>
> I have to admit openly I never really thought much about how "sleep"
> differs
> from "hibernate", where I forget which (but I think it's hibernate) that
> you
> have to turn off anyway in order to dual boot to Ubuntu/Windows and
> still be
> able to (almost) completely have read/write access to the entirety of
> _both_
> file systems simultaneously while booted to Unbuntu.
>
> I just turn 'em both off.

I run Ubuntu through VirtualBox and the whole shebang sleeps just fine.

Re: Windows not coming out of sleep mode

<sumem9$770$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59310&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59310

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 13:28:41 -0800
 by: T - Thu, 17 Feb 2022 21:28 UTC

On 2/16/22 10:26, Bill wrote:
> About 3 days ago, Windows performed an update which was unsuccessful in
> the sense that when I restarted the system I got the "bsod".  When
> restarted it again, it booted properly.
>
> But now, the system will not come out of sleep mode--without me pushing
> the power button. Typically a mouse click or keyboard button will "wake"
> it.
>
> I have tried a few things already to no avail. And I have had this same
> problem in the past, but I don't recall the "fix".  Since I sort of know
> the source of what caused the problem, does this help provide for an
> easy solution?  Thanks!
Had one of those last week.
Look up how to disable fast boot on the web.
That fixed it.
I have also found that plugging in a USB mouse
and wiggling it also works.

Re: Windows not coming out of sleep mode

<sumfg1$l2j$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59311&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59311

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 21:42:15 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 17 Feb 2022 21:42 UTC

Bill wrote:

> I run Ubuntu through VirtualBox and the whole shebang sleeps just fine.

Some things you just have to learn the hard way (ask me how I know this).

You didn't understand, but that's OK because I didn't explain, and, besides,
likely only Paul and I know what I'm about to impart to you about this.

What you don't know is what I'll google for you (give me a moment please)...
<https://www.google.com/search?q=set+up+ubuntu+windows+dual+boot+hibernation>

Here's just one of the hits that explain what I was referring to:
*Disable hibernation and FastStartup in Windows 10 to dual boot with Ubuntu*
<http://www.surfacetablethelp.com/2017/06/disable-hibernation-and-faststartup-in-windows-10-to-dual-boot-with-ubuntu.html>

That is what I was referring to but bear in mind I'm _booted_ to Ubuntu
whereas you're discussing a VM (which I swore off long ago for various
reason unrelated to this thread topic). The issues when booted to Ubuntu are
completely different (AFAICT) from just using Ubuntu as a guest VM.
*How should I set up my dual-boot so that I can hibernate the secondary OS?*
<https://superuser.com/questions/419186/how-should-i-set-up-my-dual-boot-so-that-i-can-hibernate-the-secondary-os>

The part that Paul knows about is that even then, you still don't have
access to a very small number of "special" files in the Windows directory
while you're dual booted to Linux. We can go into details, but I don't want
to clutter this thread with all those details.

Suffice to say there are a couple of "very special" files that Microsoft
doesn't want you messing with, which "look" like normal files to Windows,
but they're the strangest things you'll find when you look at them from
another operating system.
--
Every post to Usenet should strive to helpfully add value others don't know.

Re: Windows not coming out of sleep mode

<QrzPJ.32088$r6p7.28198@fx41.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59316&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59316

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 16:51:43 -0500
 by: Bill - Thu, 17 Feb 2022 21:51 UTC

On 2/17/2022 4:42 PM, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>
>> I run Ubuntu through VirtualBox and the whole shebang sleeps just fine.
>
> Some things you just have to learn the hard way (ask me how I know this).
>
> You didn't understand, but that's OK because I didn't explain, and,
> besides,
> likely only Paul and I know what I'm about to impart to you about this.

I realized you were doing something different than I was (booting vs
running VB). I was just sharing that I didn't have the problem with my
configuration. Sorry for any confusion.