"jackpot: you may have an unnecessary change record" -- message from "diff"

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Never played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. so I bought them all via IndieGala (via Steam)

SubjectAuthor
* Never played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. so I bought them all via IndieGala (via Steam)PW
+- Re: Never played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. so I bought them all via IndieGalaIdaho Homo Joe
`* Re: Never played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. so I bought them all via IndieGalaJAB
 +* Re: Never played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. so I bought them all via IndieGala (via Steam)Justisaur
 |`- Re: Never played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. so I bought them all via IndieGalaJAB
 +- Re: Never played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. so I bought them all via IndieGala (via Steam)rms
 `* Re: Never played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. so I bought them all via IndieGala (via Steam)PW
  `- Re: Never played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. so I bought them all via IndieGalaJAB

1
Never played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. so I bought them all via IndieGala (via Steam)

<gichug51mkihdclvmogb62b65q19bbp4n1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5932&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5932

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Never played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. so I bought them all via IndieGala (via Steam)
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 17:54:46 -0700
 by: PW - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 00:54 UTC

Hi,

$10 for all three. Activated on Steam.

In which order were they released (and should I play them in order?)?

-Call of Pripyat
-Clear Sky
-Shadow of Chernobyl

All they all worth playing or should I concentrate on one first and
ignore the others for now?

Thanks,

-pw

Re: Never played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. so I bought them all via IndieGala (via Steam)

<ssahco$1sm5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5935&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5935

From: dick_l...@aol.com (Idaho Homo Joe)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Never played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. so I bought them all via IndieGala
(via Steam)
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 21:28:40 -0500
 by: Idaho Homo Joe - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 02:28 UTC

Ram your finger all the way up your ass,
pull it out, them smell it until you gag.
The answer to your question(s) will be
revealed soon afterwards.

Re: Never played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. so I bought them all via IndieGala (via Steam)

<ssb7rn$a36$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5940&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5940

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
(via Steam)
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 08:52:06 +0000
 by: JAB - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 08:52 UTC

On 20/01/2022 00:54, PW wrote:
> Hi,
>
> $10 for all three. Activated on Steam.
>
> In which order were they released (and should I play them in order?)?
>
> -Call of Pripyat
> -Clear Sky
> -Shadow of Chernobyl
>
> All they all worth playing or should I concentrate on one first and
> ignore the others for now?
>
> Thanks,

The list is in the reverse order of when they were released. I've only
played SoC and CoP as Clear Sky didn't get overly good reviews when it
came it. Either of those will do the job although it's probably worth
look at some mods just to make them feel less like a 'East European'
game from 2007. I've used STALKER Complete 2009 (2012) and that
certainly makes it play, and look, better although it does get some
negative reviews for making the game to easy.

That brings me nicely on to the next subject, it may look like your
average FPS but you can't just go in there all guns a blazing and expect
a happy outcome. I think the first gun fight took me a bout five
attempts before I realised that.

Overall though, for all of its faults (respawing enemies was a
particular problem) it still makes my list of all time greats and I'm
really looking forward to seeing the release of STALKER:2 although that
probably means I'll end up disappointed.

Re: Never played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. so I bought them all via IndieGala (via Steam)

<1c13f0ce-6c43-47e3-88e9-1f847657833cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5944&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5944

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 07:02:22 -0800 (PST)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 15:02 UTC

On Thursday, January 20, 2022 at 12:52:08 AM UTC-8, JAB wrote:

> Overall though, for all of its faults (respawing enemies was a
> particular problem) it still makes my list of all time greats and I'm
> really looking forward to seeing the release of STALKER:2 although that
> probably means I'll end up disappointed.

I seem to remember a mod to remove or slow down the respawning
enemies. It's something I didn't care for in Fallout 3 either, and modded
out when I played.

- Justisaur

Re: Never played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. so I bought them all via IndieGala (via Steam)

<ssbu80$5vi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5945&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5945

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 08:14:07 -0700
 by: rms - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 15:14 UTC

> -Shadow of Chernobyl
>. I've used STALKER Complete 2009 (2012)

As JAB said, play SoC first, with
https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009
I wouldn't worry about respawning myself, just change the difficulty as
needed.

rms

Re: Never played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. so I bought them all via IndieGala (via Steam)

<pmbjugd063qbd8ae78urkahi9595tpqu72@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5950&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5950

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 11:50:27 -0700
 by: PW - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 18:50 UTC

On Thu, 20 Jan 2022 08:52:06 +0000, JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:

>On 20/01/2022 00:54, PW wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> $10 for all three. Activated on Steam.
>>
>> In which order were they released (and should I play them in order?)?
>>
>> -Call of Pripyat
>> -Clear Sky
>> -Shadow of Chernobyl
>>
>> All they all worth playing or should I concentrate on one first and
>> ignore the others for now?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

>The list is in the reverse order of when they were released. I've only
>played SoC and CoP as Clear Sky didn't get overly good reviews when it
>came it. Either of those will do the job although it's probably worth
>look at some mods just to make them feel less like a 'East European'
>game from 2007. I've used STALKER Complete 2009 (2012) and that
>certainly makes it play, and look, better although it does get some
>negative reviews for making the game to easy.
>
>That brings me nicely on to the next subject, it may look like your
>average FPS but you can't just go in there all guns a blazing and expect
>a happy outcome. I think the first gun fight took me a bout five
>attempts before I realised that.
>
>Overall though, for all of its faults (respawing enemies was a
>particular problem) it still makes my list of all time greats and I'm
>really looking forward to seeing the release of STALKER:2 although that
>probably means I'll end up disappointed.

*--

Thanks.

I played Shadows for a few minutes last night. It was fun.

-pw

Re: Never played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. so I bought them all via IndieGala (via Steam)

<ssdudn$kb5$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5958&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5958

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
(via Steam)
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 09:29:25 +0000
 by: JAB - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 09:29 UTC

On 20/01/2022 15:02, Justisaur wrote:
> On Thursday, January 20, 2022 at 12:52:08 AM UTC-8, JAB wrote:
>>
>> Overall though, for all of its faults (respawing enemies was a
>> particular problem) it still makes my list of all time greats and I'm
>> really looking forward to seeing the release of STALKER:2 although that
>> probably means I'll end up disappointed.
>
> I seem to remember a mod to remove or slow down the respawning
> enemies. It's something I didn't care for in Fallout 3 either, and modded
> out when I played.

I could be wrong but I believe it was one of the things they addressed
in a later patch so although there were still re-spawns it took a lot
longer for them to happen. The one I remember most was a train yard
which was a transition point between areas. A really hard, but enjoyable
fight, oh and now you've got to do it again not very long after - that's
less fun.

Was it Far Cry 2 that is was also horrible in that you'd have to clear
out enemy checkpoints only to find they'd re-spawned as soon as you
turned you back?

Re: Never played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. so I bought them all via IndieGala (via Steam)

<ssjdgb$pfl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5971&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5971

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
(via Steam)
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 11:17:30 +0000
 by: JAB - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 11:17 UTC

On 20/01/2022 18:50, PW wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2022 08:52:06 +0000, JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 20/01/2022 00:54, PW wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> $10 for all three. Activated on Steam.
>>>
>>> In which order were they released (and should I play them in order?)?
>>>
>>> -Call of Pripyat
>>> -Clear Sky
>>> -Shadow of Chernobyl
>>>
>>> All they all worth playing or should I concentrate on one first and
>>> ignore the others for now?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>

>> The list is in the reverse order of when they were released. I've only
>> played SoC and CoP as Clear Sky didn't get overly good reviews when it
>> came it. Either of those will do the job although it's probably worth
>> look at some mods just to make them feel less like a 'East European'
>> game from 2007. I've used STALKER Complete 2009 (2012) and that
>> certainly makes it play, and look, better although it does get some
>> negative reviews for making the game to easy.
>>
>> That brings me nicely on to the next subject, it may look like your
>> average FPS but you can't just go in there all guns a blazing and expect
>> a happy outcome. I think the first gun fight took me a bout five
>> attempts before I realised that.
>>
>> Overall though, for all of its faults (respawing enemies was a
>> particular problem) it still makes my list of all time greats and I'm
>> really looking forward to seeing the release of STALKER:2 although that
>> probably means I'll end up disappointed.
>
> *--
>
> Thanks.
>
> I played Shadows for a few minutes last night. It was fun.

I think it's a great game but then again I do have a soft spot for games
that try to do something a bit different even if they don't quite succeed.