"Any excuse will serve a tyrant." -- Aesop

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: 2021 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #11

SubjectAuthor
* 2021 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #11Spalls Hurgenson
+* Re: 2021 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #11Mike S.
|`* Re: 2021 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #11Justisaur
| +- Re: 2021 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #11Dimensional Traveler
| `- Re: 2021 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #11Justisaur
`- Re: 2021 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #11Ant

1
2021 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #11

<sfu6sgpe4hmf7mbjklfbp4daooctnuik4k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5483&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5483

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: 2021 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #11
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 14:40:08 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 22 Dec 2021 19:40 UTC

Hey! Look over there! Ha-ha, you fell for the oldest trick in the
book. While you were distracted, I snuck in and left a couple of gifts
'neath the Christmas Tree (or by Menorah, or on the Kwanza Mkeka, or
perched precariously atop the Festivus Pole, or whatever your
particular belief system requires). But now that the presents are
here, you might as well go take a look at them.

Let's start with "GRID". This is the 2019 version of the game, and
not the 2013 game released under the same title (because gamer's love
nothing more than the confusing re-use of titles). Of course, that's
completely obvious to anyone who uses e 5l4m 3i3ly 3ff q6 into
Valve's digital distribution client. "GRID" (or "GRID 2019" as I like
to call it) is an arcade racing game. It's not really special in any
way - if you've played "Forza" or "Gran Turismo" or "Need for Speed"
or even "GRID (2013)" then you've got a pretty good idea what this
game is about. On the other hand, it's not a bad game either; for what
it does, it does it pretty well. Don't go into this game expecting an
innovative, mind-blowing experience; do go into it expecting some
satisfying fast-paced racing.

Right next to that game you'll find "Middle-Earth: Shadow of War",
sequel to the similarly named "Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor".
Despite the lack of originality in titles, the game is a quite
satisfying open-world Souls-like experience (albeit quite a bit easier
than most Souls games). Like the game above, it doesn't really
innovate much from its predecessor, but it does smooth out a number of
the rough spots. But basically it's raison d'etre is to let you wander
about its corner of Middle Earth and smack around orcs, and it does
that fairly well. But you can find out for yourself by typing blixxaa
3 avrdl 5t into you-know-where.

And that's it for today, two more games presented and -- oh my god,
what's that over there? Haha, you fell for it again, and now I've
snuck out of the newsgroup leaving behind only these parting words:

Have fun, and keep on gaming!

Re: 2021 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #11

<4807sghjd7pefvlua57oq503d9mcbmb8sf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5484&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5484

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: 2021 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #11
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 14:49:34 -0500
 by: Mike S. - Wed, 22 Dec 2021 19:49 UTC

On Wed, 22 Dec 2021 14:40:08 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>And that's it for today, two more games presented and -- oh my god,
>what's that over there? Haha, you fell for it again, and now I've
>snuck out of the newsgroup leaving behind only these parting words:
>
>Have fun, and keep on gaming!

Neither of these really appeals to me, despite being a Lord of the
Rings fan. Good luck to whoever grabs these.

Re: 2021 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #11

<fab5d9d2-62e6-41a8-88d1-6f4273462c13n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5485&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5485

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 12:04:58 -0800 (PST)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Wed, 22 Dec 2021 20:04 UTC

On Wednesday, December 22, 2021 at 11:49:36 AM UTC-8, Mike S. wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Dec 2021 14:40:08 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
> <spallsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >And that's it for today, two more games presented and -- oh my god,
> >what's that over there? Haha, you fell for it again, and now I've
> >snuck out of the newsgroup leaving behind only these parting words:
> >
> >Have fun, and keep on gaming!
> Neither of these really appeals to me, despite being a Lord of the
> Rings fan. Good luck to whoever grabs these.

I'm not much of a LotR fan* but I am a DS fan, however every "Souls Like"
I've tried has been ironically a hollow shadow of the real thing. Still
I've got to try it, so I took it.

Thanks again Spalls!

* I love The Hobbit, the book, not the 3?!? movies which I find tolerable
with some cool moments. The animated one is pretty good too I think,
though it's been so long I'm no longer sure. The LotR movies are o.k.
but too long to ever watch again, again I like the animated movie, the
books too long and boring, give me some Conan!

- Justisaur

Re: 2021 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #11

<ZcKdnWU18v6OJl78nZ2dnUU7-R_NnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5488&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5488

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 17:56:03 -0600
 by: Ant - Wed, 22 Dec 2021 23:56 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey! Look over there! Ha-ha, you fell for the oldest trick in the
> book. While you were distracted, I snuck in and left a couple of gifts
> 'neath the Christmas Tree (or by Menorah, or on the Kwanza Mkeka, or
> perched precariously atop the Festivus Pole, or whatever your
> particular belief system requires). But now that the presents are
> here, you might as well go take a look at them.

> Let's start with "GRID". This is the 2019 version of the game, and
> not the 2013 game released under the same title (because gamer's love
> nothing more than the confusing re-use of titles). Of course, that's
> completely obvious to anyone who uses e 5l4m 3i3ly 3ff q6 into
> Valve's digital distribution client. "GRID" (or "GRID 2019" as I like
> to call it) is an arcade racing game. It's not really special in any
> way - if you've played "Forza" or "Gran Turismo" or "Need for Speed"
> or even "GRID (2013)" then you've got a pretty good idea what this
> game is about. On the other hand, it's not a bad game either; for what
> it does, it does it pretty well. Don't go into this game expecting an
> innovative, mind-blowing experience; do go into it expecting some
> satisfying fast-paced racing.

"Mine."

> Right next to that game you'll find "Middle-Earth: Shadow of War",
> sequel to the similarly named "Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor".
> Despite the lack of originality in titles, the game is a quite
> satisfying open-world Souls-like experience (albeit quite a bit easier
> than most Souls games). Like the game above, it doesn't really
> innovate much from its predecessor, but it does smooth out a number of
> the rough spots. But basically it's raison d'etre is to let you wander
> about its corner of Middle Earth and smack around orcs, and it does
> that fairly well. But you can find out for yourself by typing blixxaa
> 3 avrdl 5t into you-know-where.

Darn. Already taken. :P

> And that's it for today, two more games presented and -- oh my god,
> what's that over there? Haha, you fell for it again, and now I've
> snuck out of the newsgroup leaving behind only these parting words:

> Have fun, and keep on gaming!

Thanks. ;)
--
Dang coldness, colony, works, leaks, mess, z, software upgrades, free games, spams, (scam/fraud)s, greeds, inflations, illnesses, body, life, craziness, BUSYness, etc. again. :( Happy Holidays / Season's Greetings / Merry Christmas / etc. though. *<|:D
| |o o| |

Re: 2021 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #11

<sq0ps1$8g8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5495&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5495

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 19:19:32 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Thu, 23 Dec 2021 03:19 UTC

On 12/22/2021 12:04 PM, Justisaur wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 22, 2021 at 11:49:36 AM UTC-8, Mike S. wrote:
>> On Wed, 22 Dec 2021 14:40:08 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
>> <spallsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> And that's it for today, two more games presented and -- oh my god,
>>> what's that over there? Haha, you fell for it again, and now I've
>>> snuck out of the newsgroup leaving behind only these parting words:
>>>
>>> Have fun, and keep on gaming!
>> Neither of these really appeals to me, despite being a Lord of the
>> Rings fan. Good luck to whoever grabs these.
>
> I'm not much of a LotR fan* but I am a DS fan, however every "Souls Like"
> I've tried has been ironically a hollow shadow of the real thing. Still
> I've got to try it, so I took it.
>
> Thanks again Spalls!
>
> * I love The Hobbit, the book, not the 3?!? movies which I find tolerable
> with some cool moments. The animated one is pretty good too I think,
> though it's been so long I'm no longer sure. The LotR movies are o.k.
> but too long to ever watch again, again I like the animated movie,

The one where the story ended with the victory at Helm's Deep?

dirty old man.

Re: 2021 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #11

<8517f946-e2bf-4f36-9b77-a0b2fb35e057n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5936&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5936

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 19:08:01 -0800 (PST)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 03:08 UTC

On Wednesday, December 22, 2021 at 12:04:59 PM UTC-8, Justisaur wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 22, 2021 at 11:49:36 AM UTC-8, Mike S. wrote:
> > On Wed, 22 Dec 2021 14:40:08 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
> > <spallsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >And that's it for today, two more games presented and -- oh my god,
> > >what's that over there? Haha, you fell for it again, and now I've
> > >snuck out of the newsgroup leaving behind only these parting words:
> > >
> > >Have fun, and keep on gaming!
> > Neither of these really appeals to me, despite being a Lord of the
> > Rings fan. Good luck to whoever grabs these.

> I'm not much of a LotR fan* but I am a DS fan, however every "Souls Like"
> I've tried has been ironically a hollow shadow of the real thing. Still
> I've got to try it, so I took it.

I started playing this and I was thinking - this feels really familiar. I was
trying to figure out if I had played it. It's a sequel to Shadow of Mordor
which I have played. Apparently finished it on a free weekend, and started
getting tired of it about halfway through. Feels more like AC + Mad Max.

This one seems similar, definitely not anything like DS. The combat system
is good, but a bit too 'hit this button now' console stuff. I'll enjoy it for a bit
I'm sure.

I read they're going to be making this one free in May. Whatever 'free' means
in this context.

Thanks again Spalls!

- Justisaur