"A car is just a big purse on wheels." -- Johanna Reynolds

computers / alt.windows7.general / Need Help With Default Browser Problem

SubjectAuthor
* Need Help With Default Browser ProblemZo
+* Re: Need Help With Default Browser ProblemVanguardLH
|`- Re: Need Help With Default Browser ProblemZo
+- Re: Need Help With Default Browser ProblemStan Brown
`* Re: Need Help With Default Browser ProblemDavid E. Ross
 `* Re: Need Help With Default Browser ProblemZo
  `* Re: Need Help With Default Browser ProblemJ. P. Gilliver
   `- Re: Need Help With Default Browser ProblemVanguardLH

1
Need Help With Default Browser Problem

<mn.4bbd7e7402169812.138872@newsbill.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5939&group=alt.windows7.general#5939

From: home...@newsbill.net (Zo)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Need Help With Default Browser Problem
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2023 15:57:38 -0400
 by: Zo - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 19:57 UTC

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Firefox is my default browser. Previously I used Waterfox. Now, for
reasons unknown, links clicked in Mesnews (default newsreader, continue
to open in Waterfox.

I have tried all of the found recommendations for setting the default
browser, ie, Set Default Programs. But nothing I have done so far has
changed links clicked in Mesnews from launching Waterfox.....

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

--
Zo

"Emulate your heros, but don't carry it too far. Especially
if they are dead."

Re: Need Help With Default Browser Problem

<s3r7l50oqpma$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5940&group=alt.windows7.general#5940

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Need Help With Default Browser Problem
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 16:19:12 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 21:19 UTC

Zo <homenet@newsbill.net> wrote:

> Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
>
> Firefox is my default browser. Previously I used Waterfox. Now, for
> reasons unknown, links clicked in Mesnews (default newsreader,
> continue to open in Waterfox.
>
> I have tried all of the found recommendations for setting the default
> browser, ie, Set Default Programs. But nothing I have done so far
> has changed links clicked in Mesnews from launching Waterfox.....

You are focusing on OS-level settings to affect which web browser is
used as the default handler for the URL protocol. Instead of focusing
on the OS settings, maybe the program itself specifies what to use.

I found help on the program at:

http://www.mesnews.net/gb/aide_sommaire.php

By going there, go to menu options -> preferences -> preferences view.
That settings page shows which program you specified for opening
hyperlinks. The program dictates what web client to use. It does not
pass the URL to some OS-specified handler.

No, I don't use Mesnews. Might've trialed it years ago, but it didn't
survive as a candidate for replacing whatever I was using back then.
But I can do an online search on "mesnews settings" to find their help
page with links to sub-articles. You might want to spend some time
there reviewing all the settings to really know how to use it.

Re: Need Help With Default Browser Problem

<MPG.3e9cd0abe1f198f79900c6@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5941&group=alt.windows7.general#5941

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 14:40:33 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 21:40 UTC

On Sun, 09 Apr 2023 15:57:38 -0400, Zo wrote:
> Firefox is my default browser. Previously I used Waterfox. Now, for
> reasons unknown, links clicked in Mesnews (default newsreader, continue
> to open in Waterfox.
>
> I have tried all of the found recommendations for setting the default
> browser, ie, Set Default Programs. But nothing I have done so far has
> changed links clicked in Mesnews from launching Waterfox.....
>
> Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

This sounds like a problem in Mesnews, not Windows.

"Nothing I have done so far" doesn't tell us what you tried, so I
can't be more specific.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Need Help With Default Browser Problem

<mn.4c967e7420d0ac59.138872@newsbill.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5942&group=alt.windows7.general#5942

From: home...@newsbill.net (Zo)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2023 19:34:44 -0400
 by: Zo - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 23:34 UTC

VanguardLH explained :
> Zo <homenet@newsbill.net> wrote:
>
>> Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
>>
>> Firefox is my default browser. Previously I used Waterfox. Now, for
>> reasons unknown, links clicked in Mesnews (default newsreader,
>> continue to open in Waterfox.
>>
>> I have tried all of the found recommendations for setting the default
>> browser, ie, Set Default Programs. But nothing I have done so far
>> has changed links clicked in Mesnews from launching Waterfox.....
>
> You are focusing on OS-level settings to affect which web browser is
> used as the default handler for the URL protocol. Instead of focusing
> on the OS settings, maybe the program itself specifies what to use.
>
> I found help on the program at:
>
> http://www.mesnews.net/gb/aide_sommaire.php
>
> By going there, go to menu options -> preferences -> preferences view.
> That settings page shows which program you specified for opening
> hyperlinks. The program dictates what web client to use. It does not
> pass the URL to some OS-specified handler.
>
> No, I don't use Mesnews. Might've trialed it years ago, but it didn't
> survive as a candidate for replacing whatever I was using back then.
> But I can do an online search on "mesnews settings" to find their help
> page with links to sub-articles. You might want to spend some time
> there reviewing all the settings to really know how to use it.

Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction. Firefox
now opens. joy

Thanks again

--
Zo

"Save regularly in our bank. You'll never reget it."

Re: Need Help With Default Browser Problem

<u15dmc$2th4f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5950&group=alt.windows7.general#5950

From: nob...@nowhere.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 21:56:42 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 04:56 UTC

On 4/9/2023 12:57 PM, Zo wrote:
> Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
>
> Firefox is my default browser. Previously I used Waterfox. Now, for
> reasons unknown, links clicked in Mesnews (default newsreader, continue
> to open in Waterfox.
>
> I have tried all of the found recommendations for setting the default
> browser, ie, Set Default Programs. But nothing I have done so far has
> changed links clicked in Mesnews from launching Waterfox.....
>
> Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

You need to set the default twice, once in Firefox and once in Windows.

For Firefox, select the ["hamburger" > settings > General]. In the
version of Firefox that I havem(95.0.1), select the Make Default button
somewhat to the right under Startup.

For Windows, select [Start > Settings > Control Panel]. If you have
expanded the Control Panel to "All Control Panel Items" as I have,
launch Firfox and then select [Default Programs > "Set program access
and computer defaults"]. Select the third radio button (Custom). Then
select the radio button for "Use my current Web browser".

With the Default Programs window still open, you might also want to
select "Set your default programs" to see if Firefox has a green arrow
pointing to "Set this program as default".

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com>

Consider:
* Most state mandate that drivers have liability insurance.
* Employers are mandated to have worker's compensation insurance.
* If you live in a flood zone, flood insurance is mandatory.
* If your home has a mortgage, fire insurance is mandatory.

Why then is mandatory health insurance so bad??

Re: Need Help With Default Browser Problem

<mn.623a7e746dff4f80.138872@newsbill.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5951&group=alt.windows7.general#5951

From: home...@newsbill.net (Zo)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 09:30:20 -0400
w:r(D&/_EcEkn:@q
 by: Zo - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 13:30 UTC

David E. Ross presented the following explanation :
> On 4/9/2023 12:57 PM, Zo wrote:
>> Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
>>
>> Firefox is my default browser. Previously I used Waterfox. Now, for
>> reasons unknown, links clicked in Mesnews (default newsreader, continue
>> to open in Waterfox.
>>
>> I have tried all of the found recommendations for setting the default
>> browser, ie, Set Default Programs. But nothing I have done so far has
>> changed links clicked in Mesnews from launching Waterfox.....
>>
>> Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> You need to set the default twice, once in Firefox and once in Windows.
>
> For Firefox, select the ["hamburger" > settings > General]. In the
> version of Firefox that I havem(95.0.1), select the Make Default button
> somewhat to the right under Startup.
>
> For Windows, select [Start > Settings > Control Panel]. If you have
> expanded the Control Panel to "All Control Panel Items" as I have,
> launch Firfox and then select [Default Programs > "Set program access
> and computer defaults"]. Select the third radio button (Custom). Then
> select the radio button for "Use my current Web browser".
>
> With the Default Programs window still open, you might also want to
> select "Set your default programs" to see if Firefox has a green arrow
> pointing to "Set this program as default".

Your response is appreciated, but, Thanks to Vanguard.s response, the
problem has already been corrected.

--
Zo

The Silent Majority of today are the slaves of tomorrow.

Re: Need Help With Default Browser Problem

<iVFyYsJ1cfUkFw$e@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5961&group=alt.windows7.general#5961

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 06:55:01 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Wed, 3 May 2023 05:55 UTC

In message <mn.623a7e746dff4f80.138872@newsbill.net> at Wed, 12 Apr 2023
09:30:20, Zo <homenet@newsbill.net> writes
>David E. Ross presented the following explanation :
>> On 4/9/2023 12:57 PM, Zo wrote:
>>> Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
>>> Firefox is my default browser. Previously I used Waterfox. Now, for
>>>reasons unknown, links clicked in Mesnews (default newsreader,
>>>continue to open in Waterfox.
[]
>> You need to set the default twice, once in Firefox and once in Windows.
[]
>Your response is appreciated, but, Thanks to Vanguard.s response, the
>problem has already been corrected.

And your suggested solution wouldn't have sorted it: some prog.s (such
as Mesnews in this case) have their own setting for what to use for
weblinks, rather than using the default browser (i. e. as set by
Windows). [Setting it in Firefox only tries to amend the Windows
setting.]
--
J. P. Gilliver

Re: Need Help With Default Browser Problem

<3697ijqmon98$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5968&group=alt.windows7.general#5968

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 17:18:47 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 3 May 2023 22:18 UTC

"J. P. Gilliver" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

> Zo <homenet@newsbill.net> WROTE:
>
>> David E. Ross:

>>> You need to set the default twice, once in Firefox and once in
>>> Windows.
>>
>> Your response is appreciated, but, Thanks to Vanguard.s response, the
>> problem has already been corrected.
>
> And your suggested solution wouldn't have sorted it: some prog.s (such
> as Mesnews in this case) have their own setting for what to use for
> weblinks, rather than using the default browser (i. e. as set by
> Windows). [Setting it in Firefox only tries to amend the Windows
> setting.]

That's what I already mentioned in my reply over 3 weeks ago -- that
trying to resolve the issue with the OS protocol handler associations
might not be the problem. Instead the program specifies what web client
to use for hyperlinks. I don't use Mesnews, but from what I saw for
configuration of Mesnews in online help files, the user configures the
command line in MesNews to which the URL gets passed.