If you can't understand it, it is intuitively obvious.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Task scheduler "hide" a started program...

SubjectAuthor
* Task scheduler "hide" a started program...DISCUSSION
+* Re: Task scheduler "hide" a started program...Andy Burns
|`* Re: Task scheduler "hide" a started program...DigiART;)
| `* Re: Task scheduler "hide" a started program...Andy Burns
|  `* Re: Task scheduler "hide" a started program...Frank Slootweg
|   +- Re: Task scheduler "hide" a started program...DigiART;)
|   `* Re: Task scheduler "hide" a started program...DigiART;)
|    `* Re: Task scheduler "hide" a started program...Frank Slootweg
|     `* Re: Task scheduler "hide" a started program...DigiART;)
|      `- Re: Task scheduler "hide" a started program...Andy Burns
`- Re: Task scheduler "hide" a started program...Zaidy036

1
Task scheduler "hide" a started program...

<sujast$ud8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59213&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59213

From: ema.tene...@gmail.com (DISCUSSION)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Task scheduler "hide" a started program...
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 17:09:02 +0000
 by: DISCUSSION - Wed, 16 Feb 2022 17:09 UTC

Hello everybody,
I have a problem with the Windows Task Scheduler...

I have created a TASK to Start a "Radio Automation Software" that will
play music upon start...

The task seems to work fine.. the program starts and the music play...
but the program is unreacheable for the user.. is seems to not be
open... or is open but HIDDEN...

To find the program I need to go in the Task Manager -> Process.. and go
to find the running task... but there is no way to get the program open,
or maximize the program window....

so I need to Finalize the Task and Open it up in the normal way... this
is don't make any sense...

I want that the program start automatically and show up his window, so
the user can operate with it.

MayBe I do something wrong in the scheduler. Can some one help me?

Thanks,
DigiART :)

Re: Task scheduler "hide" a started program...

<j74pveF466dU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59215&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59215

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Task scheduler "hide" a started program...
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 17:18:38 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 16 Feb 2022 17:18 UTC

DISCUSSION wrote:

> I want that the program start automatically and show up his window, so the user
> can operate with it.
>
> MayBe I do something wrong in the scheduler. Can some one help me?

Is the program running user the same account as the user, or local system, or a
different non-privileged account, or maybe even a privileged account?

Have you granted that account the "logon as a batch job" permission in user
rights assignment (either local policy editor if stanalone win10 pro, or a GPO
if a member of a domain, if it's win10 home probably no dice)

Re: Task scheduler "hide" a started program...

<sujdpa$gd0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59216&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59216

From: ema.tene...@gmail.com (DigiART;))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 17:58:19 +0000
 by: DigiART;) - Wed, 16 Feb 2022 17:58 UTC

Il 16/02/2022 17:18, Andy Burns ha scritto:

> Is the program running user the same account as the user, or local
> system, or a different non-privileged account, or maybe even a
> privileged account?

The user is the system administator... and the task is configured to
start with "high privileges" ... I tryed with SYSTEM (as the user) but
the result is the same.

> Have you granted that account the "logon as a batch job" permission in
> user rights assignment (either local policy editor if stanalone win10
> pro, or a GPO if a member of a domain, if it's win10 home probably no dice)

This is the screenshot... my system is in Spanish..

https://ibb.co/bb5fqyR

Thanks
--
DigiART;) - from the past.

Re: Task scheduler "hide" a started program...

<j751thF5n0tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59219&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59219

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 19:34:08 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 16 Feb 2022 19:34 UTC

DigiART;) wrote:

> This is the screenshot... my system is in Spanish..
> https://ibb.co/bb5fqyR

I wondered where the "allow ... to interact with desktop" setting had gone, but
just realised that applies to services rather than scheduled tasks.

It ought to be simple to create a thin wrapper around the radioboss.exe, pretty
sure I've just used a batch file sometime pre-2000, but this looks useful

<http://nssm.cc/usage>

so then you can create a radioboss service, allow it to run as system, and
interact with desktop, and if you want then start the service from task
scheduler ...

Re: Task scheduler "hide" a started program...

<sujorm.c64.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59222&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59222

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 16 Feb 2022 20:04:48 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Wed, 16 Feb 2022 20:04 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> DigiART;) wrote:
>

> > This is the screenshot... my system is in Spanish..
> > https://ibb.co/bb5fqyR
>
> I wondered where the "allow ... to interact with desktop" setting had
> gone, but just realised that applies to services rather than scheduled
> tasks.
>
> It ought to be simple to create a thin wrapper around the
> radioboss.exe, pretty sure I've just used a batch file sometime
> pre-2000, [...]

I think it's indeed best for the OP to let the Task Scheduler run a
batch file (.bat) and let the batch file run the "Radio Automation
Software".

For the OP:

Start with a very simple batch file which just does an 'echo' of some
message and then a 'pause' to wait for a key to be pressed. If that
works, you know the task scheduling works and that the batch file shows
a window. You can then expand the batch file to start the "Radio
Automation Software". To be safe, put a 'pause' after starting the
"Radio Automation Software", so that the batch file does not terminate
and possibly kill the "Radio Automation Software".

Task details:

The Action on the 'Actions' tab should contain the full path name of
the batch file. (Yes, you can schedule a .bat file, you don't have to do
it via cmd.exe, the Task Scheduler will take care of that.)

And on the 'General' tab, you should select 'Run only when user is
logged on'.

[...]

Re: Task scheduler "hide" a started program...

<sujpj5$a5g$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59229&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59229

From: ema.tene...@gmail.com (DigiART;))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 21:19:50 +0000
 by: DigiART;) - Wed, 16 Feb 2022 21:19 UTC

Il 16/02/2022 20:04, Frank Slootweg ha scritto:

> I think it's indeed best for the OP to let the Task Scheduler run a
> batch file (.bat) and let the batch file run the "Radio Automation
> Software".

OK.. very good idea

> And on the 'General' tab, you should select 'Run only when user is
> logged on'.

OK... BUT.. what if the user is NOT LOGGED ON... ??

I explain...
That computer are used to a LIVE SHOW... it streams at an URL and
ANOTHER PC (the continuity one) receive the streaming of that PC at a
scheduled hour...

What often occur is that the voice talent don't arrive to the station in
time... so may be she cannot logged in in time and the OTHER PC cannot
find the LIVE streaming ON, than skip the event and continue with the
playlist...

SO.. I scheduled the switch on of the PC (via BIOS) at 12:35
I scheduled the TASK MANAGER to Start the software at 12.45
And scheduled an event in the software that at 12.55 start streaming...
the Continuity PC have e scheduled event that at 12:59 put the LIVE SHOW
"on air", don't matter if the host as arriver to the radio yet or no.. jeje

ALL THIS CONCERN IS ABOUT A PERSON THAT CANNOT ARRIVE IN TIME... it's
crazy... but it's true.. ahahaha.

--
DigiART;) - from the past.

Re: Task scheduler "hide" a started program...

<sujqd4$ki7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59230&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59230

From: ema.tene...@gmail.com (DigiART;))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 21:33:41 +0000
 by: DigiART;) - Wed, 16 Feb 2022 21:33 UTC

Il 16/02/2022 20:04, Frank Slootweg ha scritto:

> I think it's indeed best for the OP to let the Task Scheduler run a
> batch file (.bat) and let the batch file run the "Radio Automation
> Software".

Very good idea..

> And on the 'General' tab, you should select 'Run only when user is
> logged on'.

OK... BUT... what happens if the user is NOT LOGGED IN...?

Let me explain...
That computer is used for a LIVE SHOW... it is transmitted on a URL and
ANOTHER PC (the continuity PC) receives the stream from that PC at a
scheduled time...

What often happens is that the broadcaster doesn't get to the station in
time... so he might not be able to connect in time and the OTHER PC
can't find the LIVE stream, so it skips the event and continues with the
playlist...

So... I scheduled the PC power on (via BIOS) at 12:35.
I programmed the TASK SCHEDULER to start the software at 12:45
And I programmed an event in the software that at 12.55 starts the
streaming...
the continuity PC has an event programmed that at 12:59 puts the LIVE
SHOW "on air", no matter if the host has arrived on the radio yet or
not.. hehehe

ALL THIS CONCERN IS ABOUT ONE PERSON WHO CAN'T GET THERE ON TIME... it's
crazy... but it's true... ahahaha.

Re: Task scheduler "hide" a started program...

<sulao2.r1s.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59248&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59248

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 17 Feb 2022 10:15:23 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Thu, 17 Feb 2022 10:15 UTC

"DigiART;)" <ema.tenerife@gmail.com> wrote:
> Il 16/02/2022 20:04, Frank Slootweg ha scritto:
>
> > I think it's indeed best for the OP to let the Task Scheduler run a
> > batch file (.bat) and let the batch file run the "Radio Automation
> > Software".
>
> Very good idea..
>
> > And on the 'General' tab, you should select 'Run only when user is
> > logged on'.
>
> OK... BUT... what happens if the user is NOT LOGGED IN...?

I don't know. I've never tried a task for a case where the user might
not be logged on.

I advise to start with 'Run only when user is logged on'. If that
works, you can always (try to) change it.

Also, if there is no security concern, you can give the user an empty
password, so that the user will be automatically logged in after the
system is booted (by the trigger in the BIOS).

[Left for reference:]

> Let me explain...
> That computer is used for a LIVE SHOW... it is transmitted on a URL and
> ANOTHER PC (the continuity PC) receives the stream from that PC at a
> scheduled time...
>
> What often happens is that the broadcaster doesn't get to the station in
> time... so he might not be able to connect in time and the OTHER PC
> can't find the LIVE stream, so it skips the event and continues with the
> playlist...
>
> So... I scheduled the PC power on (via BIOS) at 12:35.
> I programmed the TASK SCHEDULER to start the software at 12:45
> And I programmed an event in the software that at 12.55 starts the
> streaming...
> the continuity PC has an event programmed that at 12:59 puts the LIVE
> SHOW "on air", no matter if the host has arrived on the radio yet or
> not.. hehehe
>
> ALL THIS CONCERN IS ABOUT ONE PERSON WHO CAN'T GET THERE ON TIME... it's
> crazy... but it's true... ahahaha.

Re: Task scheduler "hide" a started program...

<sul8kg$g3f$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59253&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59253

From: ema.tene...@gmail.com (DigiART;))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 10:42:44 +0000
 by: DigiART;) - Thu, 17 Feb 2022 10:42 UTC

Il 17/02/2022 10:15, Frank Slootweg ha scritto:

> Also, if there is no security concern, you can give the user an empty
> password, so that the user will be automatically logged in after the
> system is booted (by the trigger in the BIOS).

There are no security problems, but the Task Scheduler asks for the
user's password... indeed, the user had no password and I had to create
one... but, maybe if I tell it that the user is SYSTEM, maybe it won't
ask for it... I'll try it.

Thanks

--
DigiART;) - from the past.

Re: Task scheduler "hide" a started program...

<j76og0FffnkU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59255&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59255

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 11:05:35 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 17 Feb 2022 11:05 UTC

DigiART;) wrote:

> the Task Scheduler asks for the user's password

Huh? normally at the time the task is created or edited, but not each time it is
run.

Re: Task scheduler "hide" a started program...

<suor3n$kb0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59406&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59406

From: Zaidy...@air.isp.spam (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 14:12:56 -0500
 by: Zaidy036 - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 19:12 UTC

On 2/16/2022 12:09 PM, DISCUSSION wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> I have a problem with the Windows Task Scheduler...
>
> I have created a TASK to Start a "Radio Automation Software" that will
> play music upon start...
>
> The task seems to work fine.. the program starts and the music play...
> but the program is unreacheable for the user.. is seems to not be
> open... or is open but HIDDEN...
>
> To find the program I need to go in the Task Manager -> Process.. and go
> to find the running task... but there is no way to get the program open,
> or maximize the program window....
>
> so I need to Finalize the Task and Open it up in the normal way... this
> is don't make any sense...
>
> I want that the program start automatically and show up his window, so
> the user can operate with it.
>
> MayBe I do something wrong in the scheduler. Can some one help me?
>
> Thanks,
> DigiART :)
open cmd window and run the app with /? or -help to see if there are
controls within the app