From: jbb...@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: ADNotificationManager.exe
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 00:56:39 -0600
 by: Jeff Barnett - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 06:56 UTC

I'm running win 7 SP1 64bit on an otherwise stable computer. My browser
is current Firefox 64 bit and my default pdf reader is Adobe.

Intermittently, I'm receiving the following error message when
downloading a pdf via FF to the Reader:

"The procedure entry point GetPackageFamilyName could
not be located in the dynamic link library KERNET32.dll."

Note that other than the message, the file seems to be properly loaded
and intermittent means sometimes a particular file will load cleanly and
other times the message is presented. The bad behavior shows up with
more than one file,

I have not noted the problem when clicking on pdf files on my machine,
i.e., they open in in the reader with no problem. It looks like there
was a behind the back Reader update 4/4/2023 but this evening is the
first I've seen of this message. N.B. I have not updated Windows for
about a year.

Anyone have an idea what's going on and how to fix this problem? Any
pointers would be most appreciated.
--
Jeff Barnett

Re: ADNotificationManager.exe

<u22laa$3n9qa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5956&group=alt.windows7.general#5956

From: jbb...@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: ADNotificationManager.exe
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 01:04:42 -0600
 by: Jeff Barnett - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 07:04 UTC

On 4/23/2023 12:56 AM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> I'm running win 7 SP1 64bit on an otherwise stable computer. My browser
> is current Firefox 64 bit and my default pdf reader is Adobe.
>
> Intermittently, I'm receiving the following error message when
> downloading a pdf via FF to the Reader:
>
>     "The procedure entry point GetPackageFamilyName could
>     not be located in the dynamic link library KERNET32.dll."
>
> Note that other than the message, the file seems to be properly loaded
> and intermittent means sometimes a particular file will load cleanly and
> other times the message is presented. The bad behavior shows up with
> more than one file,
>
> I have not noted the problem when clicking on pdf files on my machine,
> i.e., they open in in the reader with no problem. It looks like there
> was a behind the back Reader update 4/4/2023 but this evening is the
> first I've seen of this message. N.B. I have not updated Windows for
> about a year.
>
> Anyone have an idea what's going on and how to fix this problem? Any
> pointers would be most appreciated.
I tried downloading files on spouses machine (same OS, Reader and FF)
and found the same intermittent problem.
--
Jeff Barnett

Re: ADNotificationManager.exe

<u23aut$3oouh$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5957&group=alt.windows7.general#5957

From: Newya...@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 09:13:30 -0400
 by: Newyana2 - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 13:13 UTC

"Jeff Barnett" <jbb@notatt.com> wrote

| I'm running win 7 SP1 64bit on an otherwise stable computer. My browser
| is current Firefox 64 bit and my default pdf reader is Adobe.
| | Intermittently, I'm receiving the following error message when
| downloading a pdf via FF to the Reader:
| | "The procedure entry point GetPackageFamilyName could
| not be located in the dynamic link library KERNET32.dll."

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/appmodel/nf-appmodel-getpackagefamilyname

That kind of message nearly always means that a software
version does not support your OS. Some bright bulb doing an
update decided to use a brand new API function and thus broke
all older software. Sometimes they have no choice. Often they
just don't understand nor care how the system works.

It used to be that supported products were always clearly
listed. I see those messages on an occasional basis because
I can rarely find a support list, so it's easier to just download
the progra and see if it works.

Your case is unusual. I'm guessing that maybe the Adobe
plugin is making the API function call in only some cases;
or that it loads an extra component in only some cases.
You could try removing that plugin and see what happens.
Or if it's not a plugin, and it's the actual Adobe Reader loading
the file, just change the file association in Firefox and
download the file separately. If the problem then keeps
happening then it must be a non-critical aspect of AR that's
not actually supporting Win7.

You didn't mention how ADNotificationManager fits in. I did
a quick search. Some people wonder if it's malware. Others
seem to think it's Adobe crap for "push" services, written
as a Metro app. In other words, adware/spyware.

Re: ADNotificationManager.exe

<u23vee$3u4ia$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5958&group=alt.windows7.general#5958

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 15:03:41 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 19:03 UTC

On 4/23/2023 2:56 AM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> I'm running win 7 SP1 64bit on an otherwise stable computer. My browser is current Firefox 64 bit and my default pdf reader is Adobe.
>
> Intermittently, I'm receiving the following error message when downloading a pdf via FF to the Reader:
>
>     "The procedure entry point GetPackageFamilyName could
>     not be located in the dynamic link library KERNET32.dll."
>
> Note that other than the message, the file seems to be properly loaded and intermittent means sometimes a particular file will load cleanly and other times the message is presented. The bad behavior shows up with more than one file,
>
> I have not noted the problem when clicking on pdf files on my machine, i.e., they open in in the reader with no problem. It looks like there was a behind the back Reader update 4/4/2023 but this evening is the first I've seen of this message. N.B. I have not updated Windows for about a year.
>
> Anyone have an idea what's going on and how to fix this problem? Any pointers would be most appreciated.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/appmodel/nf-appmodel-getpackagefamilyname

getpackagefamilyname()

Requirements

Minimum supported client Windows 8 [desktop apps only] <=== coding error by Adobe-Bloat-Lard-Department
DLL Kernel32.dll (conditional usage required, check OSver first)

*******

"Hi,

We have added a UWP app named "Notification Manager for Adobe Reader"
to support push notifications on Win 10 environment. It supports all types
of notifications about any change in the status of the documents that
you shared for viewing, reviewing and signing. More info is available
at Document Cloud notifications. ​

Regards,

Rupa Jannela

Acrobat Team
"

*******

"I have just turned it off in Win 10 using the sequence [well, good for you...]

Settings -> Privacy -> Background Apps -> Notification Manager for Adobe Acrobat (turn it off)

*******

Quite possible, it lives somewhere like:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\

Autoruns isn't much of a solution, because the continuous
reinstallation of software by Adobe ARM, just defeats settings changes.
You might have to use Autoruns once a week, if pursuing the issue this way.

http://live.sysinternals.com/

You need something like an "applocker" that blocks execution of ADNotificationManager.exe .

And since ADNotificationManager.exe is a UWP (like a Metro App), I don't know
if there are any special details or not. Normally the EXE files are not ordinary
EXE files, and they contain a manifest of launch materials. Blocking them might
still interfere with them... a bit.

File bug report with Adobe dumbasses.

Really, their bloat fleet should have a preference right in the
main viewer, to disable the item. Of course, that's too logical
for high school graduates to follow as a concept.

My mouse scroll wheel, does not work in the Preferences panel.

Paul

Re: ADNotificationManager.exe

<u243rd$3uqgj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5959&group=alt.windows7.general#5959

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 21:18:51 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 20:18 UTC

On 23/04/2023 20:03, Paul wrote:
> [...]
>
>    Settings -> Privacy -> Background Apps  -> Notification Manager for
> Adobe Acrobat (turn it off)
>
> *******
>
> Quite possible, it lives somewhere like:
>
>    C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\
>
> Autoruns isn't much of a solution, because the continuous
> reinstallation of software by Adobe ARM, just defeats settings changes.
> You might have to use Autoruns once a week, if pursuing the issue this way.
>
>    http://live.sysinternals.com/
>
> You need something like an "applocker" that blocks execution of
> ADNotificationManager.exe .
>
> And since ADNotificationManager.exe is a UWP (like a Metro App), I don't
> know
> if there are any special details or not. Normally the EXE files are not
> ordinary
> EXE files, and they contain a manifest of launch materials. Blocking

There is another way ...

To prevent a file being created, create a directory of the same name,
make it read-only, and then remove all permissions from it. Similarly
to prevent a directory being created, create a file of the same name,
make it read-only, and then remove all permissions from it. It's
usually the latter variant I need, to prevent badly-written software
from forcing and using directories in my user profile rather than my
data drive. Of course, the alternative directory or file may well be a
nuisance in its own right, but it may be less than the original nuisance
that you're trying to avoid, and thus worth settling for if no other
form of prevention can be made to work.

> File bug report with Adobe dumbasses.

Yes.

> Really, their bloat fleet should have a preference right in the
> main viewer, to disable the item. Of course, that's too logical
> for high school graduates to follow as a concept.

+1

> My mouse scroll wheel, does not work in the Preferences panel.

Typical badly-written, badly-tested, bloatware crap.

Adobe also used to, may still, have a Quick Start or similarly-named
program that used to load with Windows, either from the ...
Start Menu\Programs\Startup
.... folder, or the ...
HLKM or HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
.... registry key. As you say, no matter how often you deleted the
setting from wherever, sooner or later it would just re-install itself.

Its sole purpose was to preload resources that Acrobat Reader needed to
display PDFs, so that, should the user actually want to read a PDF, it
would load quicker than otherwise it would have, but the corollary of
that is that to achieve that marginal saving it slowed Windows
boot/logon time, and if the user never wanted to read a PDF anyway, the
resources loaded were consuming memory and maybe CPU time unnecessarily
for the entire duration of their session. In other words, it was
bloatware, pure and simple.

For myself, I read PDFs with PDF-XChange viewer, and Acrobat Reader has
been uninstalled from all of my systems.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: ADNotificationManager.exe

<u23ha3$3rbng$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5960&group=alt.windows7.general#5960

From: wolverin...@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 10:02:27 -0500
 by: sticks - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 15:02 UTC

On 4/23/2023 2:04 AM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> "The procedure entry point GetPackageFamilyName could
>      not be located in the dynamic link library KERNET32.dll

There is a patch that is supposed to help with this as pointed out on
the microsoft support page. They no longer allow downloading of it
though. KB2533623.zip

<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/microsoft-security-advisory-insecure-library-loading-could-allow-remote-code-execution-486ea436-2d47-27e5-6cb9-26ab7230c704>

Here is a page that does have it. I downloaded and scanned and it
appears virus free.

<https://www.lacie.com/support/kb/toolkit-fails-to-install-because-of-entry-point-not-found-error-kernel32/>

It looks to me like the offending program might have to be reinstalled
after the patch.

Here is another link that might have some helpful information on things
to try.

<https://www.technewstoday.com/fix-the-procedure-entry-point-could-not-be-located/>