"If you are afraid of loneliness, don't marry." -- Chekhov

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: Any suggestions for a good old-fashioned detective type game?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Any suggestions for a good old-fashioned detective type game?Werner P.
+* Re: Any suggestions for a good old-fashioned detective type game?Werner P.
|`* Re: Any suggestions for a good old-fashioned detective type game?Spalls Hurgenson
| `* Re: Any suggestions for a good old-fashioned detective type game?Werner P.
|  `* Re: Any suggestions for a good old-fashioned detective type game?Rin Stowleigh
|   `* Re: Any suggestions for a good old-fashioned detective type game?Werner P.
|    +* Re: Any suggestions for a good old-fashioned detective type game?JAB
|    |`- Re: Any suggestions for a good old-fashioned detective type game?Werner P.
|    `- Re: Any suggestions for a good old-fashioned detective type game?Rin Stowleigh
`- Re: Any suggestions for a good old-fashioned detective type game?Werner P.

1
Re: Any suggestions for a good old-fashioned detective type game?

<ssgnli$j6c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5961&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5961

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Any suggestions for a good old-fashioned detective type game?
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 11:52:33 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 10:52 UTC

Am 22.01.22 um 06:21 schrieb PW:
> Hi,
>
> I watch Perry Mason once or twice a week even if I have seen it before
> a couple of times. I listen to old radio classics like Johnny Dollar,
> Dragnet, and Dragnet TV shows. Not much on these days like those.
>
> I used to love Columbo when it was on (dating myself!!) and love the
> old black and white murder mysteries and detective shows and movies.
>
> Is there any game like that? I have some Sherlock Holmes, and keep
> thinking about booting up LA Noire again (it has been years since I
> started it but didn't get far)
>
> I tried Paradise Killer but it's too weird.
>
> I probably have one or two or more purchased and maybe installed (what
> don't I have? hehe!).
>
> Any suggestions? Not too old.
>
> -pw
You might like the Ace Attourney series from Capcom not quite detective,
it is half detective, half coutroom. Also if you like really bad acting
and FMV... The dame was loaded. Then there is of course the Tex Murphy
Series.
Disco Elysium basically is a sci fi noir rpg without fights but you get
mental and verbal stats, quite innovative.
Her story, as pure fmv game but also very innnovative.
Telling Lies, Deadly Premonition, Thimbleweed park,
and probably a ton of others, those just come to my mind. I remember
there have been at least 2-3 indie detective adventure games released
the last 1-2 years.

Re: Any suggestions for a good old-fashioned detective type game?

<sshg3b$nta$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5962&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5962

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 18:49:30 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 17:49 UTC

Am 22.01.22 um 17:43 schrieb PW:

>> You might like the Ace Attourney series from Capcom not quite detective,
>> it is half detective, half coutroom. Also if you like really bad acting
>> and FMV... The dame was loaded. Then there is of course the Tex Murphy
>> Series.
>
> *--
>
> I just looked and I have "Pheonix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy".
> Overwhelmingly Positive reviews on Steam. Probably why I bought it.
>
> Gonna check it out!
>
> -pw
Its japanese weird over the top, but definitely an experience you have
never had before.

Re: Any suggestions for a good old-fashioned detective type game?

<sshgb4$q2e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5963&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5963

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 18:53:39 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 17:53 UTC

Am 22.01.22 um 17:38 schrieb PW:
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2022 11:52:33 +0100, "Werner P." <werpu@gmx.at> wrote:
>

> *--
>
> Thanks Werner!
>
> I have one of the Ace Attourney games. I need to check it out along
> with the others you listed at the end of your post,
>
> "The dame was loaded" LOL! Now we are talking detective!
>

> -pw

Foroget about the Wolfe Among us, absolutely excellent game, if you like
the late Telltale Style, probably the best game of this era (never was a
huge fan of TWD)
Simply google around for detective games, there are a ton more I have
not listed!
It is quite a popular genre, but most of them are adventure games, which
are not everyones cup of tea.

Re: Any suggestions for a good old-fashioned detective type game?

<0eqoug19ko4j0i18mdol6l2sq1vtnisnft@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5965&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5965

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 15:38:03 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 20:38 UTC

On Sat, 22 Jan 2022 18:49:30 +0100, "Werner P." <werpu@gmx.at> wrote:
>> I just looked and I have "Pheonix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy".
>> Overwhelmingly Positive reviews on Steam. Probably why I bought it.

>Its japanese weird over the top, but definitely an experience you have
>never had before.

Heh, I thought I was the only one who used the term "Japanese Weird".
Which is, arguably, a somewhat racist term and I should probably find
a better way of expressing the idea...

Still, whatever you call it, "Ace Attorney" certainly qualifies. It's
got that weird mix of realism with the unexpected and quite out of
place weirdness stuck in there (like a parrot giving testimony at a
witch trial, or even Phoenix Wright's over-the-top "OBJECTION!"
shouts), and nobody in-universe blinks an eye at it. It is something
you just have to accept, and you either like it or you don't. Me, I
always fall in the latter camp, unfortunately.

Re: Any suggestions for a good old-fashioned detective type game?

<ssn0oo$tt7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5980&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5980

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 21:04:39 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 20:04 UTC

Am 22.01.22 um 21:38 schrieb Spalls Hurgenson:
> Heh, I thought I was the only one who used the term "Japanese Weird".
> Which is, arguably, a somewhat racist term and I should probably find
> a better way of expressing the idea...

I am old school european.. so yes.. by modern US standards maybe racist
while I do not consider myself to be (In fact I consider myself to be
the opposite by trying to see everyone as being equal). but I dont put
every word i write or say on a weight to consider it to be politically
correct.

I simply like the term for all the very japanese stuff you find in many
of those games, I also could write:
Weird Hair
Well filled bras hanging out of blouses at inappropriate locations,
emotions going overdrive for the simplest things etc...

Re: Any suggestions for a good old-fashioned detective type game?

<ihauug1gvtlss7v9lm6s00o230qgu9a0r7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5984&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5984

From: rstowle...@x-nospam-x.com (Rin Stowleigh)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 17:45:44 -0500
 by: Rin Stowleigh - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 22:45 UTC

On Mon, 24 Jan 2022 21:04:39 +0100, "Werner P." <werpu@gmx.at> wrote:

>I am old school european.. so yes.. by modern US standards maybe racist
>while I do not consider myself to be (In fact I consider myself to be
>the opposite by trying to see everyone as being equal). but I dont put
>every word i write or say on a weight to consider it to be politically
>correct.

Problem is, if you believe in ACTUAL equality, in the USA you're
considered racist. In order to not be considered racist you have to
believe in creating a high degree of inequality, to the point where
whites must constantly look for ways to try to overcorrect for 19th
century ancestor behavior. And if you don't agree with others who
partake in that behavior, don't support radical feminism or teaching
school kids to become transgender, that too makes you a
racist/misogynist/homophobe etc. Its just how the US is these days.

Re: Any suggestions for a good old-fashioned detective type game?

<sso722$mu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5986&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5986

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 07:58:10 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 06:58 UTC

Am 24.01.22 um 23:45 schrieb Rin Stowleigh:

> Problem is, if you believe in ACTUAL equality, in the USA you're
> considered racist. In order to not be considered racist you have to
> believe in creating a high degree of inequality, to the point where
> whites must constantly look for ways to try to overcorrect for 19th
> century ancestor behavior. And if you don't agree with others who
> partake in that behavior, don't support radical feminism or teaching
> school kids to become transgender, that too makes you a
> racist/misogynist/homophobe etc. Its just how the US is these days.

Heck... I live in a country which basically started 2 world wars (well
the second one was started by a homeless hobo we discarded onto germany)
and killed millions of Jews/Homosexuals/Gypsies etc...

Thats my way of trying to correct the past of my country by not trying
to see anyone as being better or less than me, independent of heritage,
color etc... Btw the only thing my country is not to blame for is
slavery, although this is also not quite true given that Spain was part
of my country in the worst chapter of south american colonization.

Re: Any suggestions for a good old-fashioned detective type game?

<ssoeka$8l0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5991&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5991

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 09:07:22 +0000
 by: JAB - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 09:07 UTC

On 25/01/2022 06:58, Werner P. wrote:
> Am 24.01.22 um 23:45 schrieb Rin Stowleigh:
>

>> Problem is, if you believe in ACTUAL equality, in the USA you're
>> considered racist.  In order to not be considered racist you have to
>> believe in creating a high degree of inequality, to the point where
>> whites must constantly look for ways to try to overcorrect for 19th
>> century ancestor behavior.  And if you don't agree with others who
>> partake in that behavior, don't support radical feminism or teaching
>> school kids to become transgender, that too makes you a
>> racist/misogynist/homophobe etc.  Its just how the US is these days.
>>

> Heck... I live in a country which basically started 2 world wars (well
> the second one was started by a homeless hobo we discarded onto germany)
> and killed millions of Jews/Homosexuals/Gypsies etc...
>
> Thats my way of trying to correct the past of my country by not trying
> to see anyone as being better or less than me, independent of heritage,
> color etc... Btw the only thing my country is not to blame for is
> slavery, although this is also not quite true given that Spain was part
> of my country in the worst chapter of south american colonization.

Another good reason to be British, we get to bang on about how we were
in the forefront of abolishing the slave trade why forgetting that we
were at the heart of it.

Re: Any suggestions for a good old-fashioned detective type game?

<ulmvug55bkp79rocta5i5lajuu0pt5r1dg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5994&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5994

From: rstowle...@x-nospam-x.com (Rin Stowleigh)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 06:15:50 -0500
 by: Rin Stowleigh - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 11:15 UTC

On Tue, 25 Jan 2022 07:58:10 +0100, "Werner P." <werpu@gmx.at> wrote:

>Am 24.01.22 um 23:45 schrieb Rin Stowleigh:
>

>> Problem is, if you believe in ACTUAL equality, in the USA you're
>> considered racist. In order to not be considered racist you have to
>> believe in creating a high degree of inequality, to the point where
>> whites must constantly look for ways to try to overcorrect for 19th
>> century ancestor behavior. And if you don't agree with others who
>> partake in that behavior, don't support radical feminism or teaching
>> school kids to become transgender, that too makes you a
>> racist/misogynist/homophobe etc. Its just how the US is these days.
>>

>Heck... I live in a country which basically started 2 world wars (well
>the second one was started by a homeless hobo we discarded onto germany)
>and killed millions of Jews/Homosexuals/Gypsies etc...
>
>Thats my way of trying to correct the past of my country by not trying
>to see anyone as being better or less than me, independent of heritage,
>color etc... Btw the only thing my country is not to blame for is
>slavery, although this is also not quite true given that Spain was part
>of my country in the worst chapter of south american colonization.

The thing that the average mind seems incapable of grasping, is that
for true equality to exist, there cannot be a double standard. It
makes absolutely no sense to tell any group of people "you must not
hold someone's heritage or ancestral background against them" and then
tell another group of people "you need to make restitution for what
your ancestors did, in perpetuity". That sort of imbalance only
provides momentum to a pendulum that swings in each direction,
encourages radicalism, and makes it harder to achieve true equality.

Re: Any suggestions for a good old-fashioned detective type game?

<sspr5c$89j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5998&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5998

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 22:47:24 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 21:47 UTC

Am 25.01.22 um 10:07 schrieb JAB:
> On 25/01/2022 06:58, Werner P. wrote:
>> Am 24.01.22 um 23:45 schrieb Rin Stowleigh:

> Another good reason to be British, we get to bang on about how we were
> in the forefront of abolishing the slave trade why forgetting that we
> were at the heart of it.

To the excuse of Austria.. the spain episode was short lived.. after
that we simply enslaved our farmers...