You are an insult to my intelligence! I demand that you log off immediately.

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: WhaysApp

SubjectAuthor
* WhaysApppinnerite
+- Re: WhaysAppEdmund
+* Re: WhaysAppMike Easter
|+- Re: WhaysAppMike Easter
|`* Re: WhaysApppinnerite
| +- Re: WhaysAppNic
| +* Re: WhaysAppMike Easter
| |+* Re: WhaysAppMike Easter
| ||`- Re: WhaysAppMike Easter
| |`- Re: WhaysApppinnerite
| `- Re: WhaysAppThebest Teddy
+- Re: WhaysAppBig Al
`- Re: WhaysAppMike Easter

1
WhaysApp

<20230424163231.2abf474d0a245a53191dafaa@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5949&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5949

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: WhaysApp
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 16:32:31 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 15:32 UTC

I had the WhatsApp for Linux package working well on 20.3 but for the
life of me I cannot do so on 21.1.

Apparently I needed to install snap. To do that i needed gedit.

Yup. did all that but snap doesn't seem to show up!

Help!

I only need it to send my shopping list to my daughters who only know
about phone apps.

--
Mint 21.1, kernel 5.15.0-67-generic, Cinnamon 5.6.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of

Re: WhaysApp

<u268lp$daim$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5950&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5950

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: WhaysApp
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 17:53:29 +0200
 by: Edmund - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 15:53 UTC

On 4/24/23 17:32, pinnerite wrote:
> I had the WhatsApp for Linux package working well on 20.3 but for the
> life of me I cannot do so on 21.1.
>
> Apparently I needed to install snap. To do that i needed gedit.
>
> Yup. did all that but snap doesn't seem to show up!
>
> Help!
>
> I only need it to send my shopping list to my daughters who only know
> about phone apps.

Well you could ask if they install a phone app then you can talk to them.

--
The moment any organization established from pure noble intentions get some influence, it will be corrupted from both inside and outside.
Then we have organizations established from pure evil.

Edmund

Re: WhaysApp

<kann9dFedvkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5951&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5951

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 08:58:36 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 15:58 UTC

pinnerite wrote:
> I had the WhatsApp for Linux package working well on 20.3 but for the
> life of me I cannot do so on 21.1.
>
> Apparently I needed to install snap. To do that i needed gedit.
>
> Yup. did all that but snap doesn't seem to show up!
>
> Help!
>
> I only need it to send my shopping list to my daughters who only know
> about phone apps.

I don't have any experience w/ whatsapp, but if I were going to install
it on LM, I would use the flatpak not the snap package, because LM
doesn't 'do' snap natively, but it does do flatpak.

https://flathub.org/apps/com.github.eneshecan.WhatsAppForLinux

--
Mike Easter

Re: WhaysApp

<kanq1tFerh6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5952&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5952

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 09:45:48 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 16:45 UTC

Mike Easter wrote:
> pinnerite wrote:
>> I had the WhatsApp for Linux package working well on 20.3 but for the
>> life of me I cannot do so on 21.1.
>>
>> Apparently I needed to install snap. To do that i needed gedit.
>>
>> Yup. did all that but snap doesn't seem to show up!
>>
>> Help!
>>
>> I only need it to send my shopping list to my daughters who only know
>> about phone apps.
>
> I don't have any experience w/ whatsapp, but if I were going to install
> it on LM, I would use the flatpak not the snap package, because LM
> doesn't 'do' snap natively, but it does do flatpak.
>
> https://flathub.org/apps/com.github.eneshecan.WhatsAppForLinux

Well that's somewhat unexpected.

I booted a live LM 21, went to flathub and dl/ed the package, opened the
dir and used the software manager to install the package. That
unexpectedly brought in a whole lot of other stuff, about a gig of dl
and 3G of 'disk space' which on a live is my ram. I didn't like that much.

Then when I launched the app, it said that to use whatsapp on my
computer I needed to link it to my phone by scanning a QR code.

I was expecting to be able to use it w/o a phone.

--
Mike Easter

Re: WhaysApp

<20230424174553.679623172567b360ab29f663@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5953&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5953

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 17:45:53 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 16:45 UTC

On Mon, 24 Apr 2023 08:58:36 -0700
Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:

> pinnerite wrote:
> > I had the WhatsApp for Linux package working well on 20.3 but for the
> > life of me I cannot do so on 21.1.
> >
> > Apparently I needed to install snap. To do that i needed gedit.
> >
> > Yup. did all that but snap doesn't seem to show up!
> >
> > Help!
> >
> > I only need it to send my shopping list to my daughters who only know
> > about phone apps.
>
> I don't have any experience w/ whatsapp, but if I were going to install
> it on LM, I would use the flatpak not the snap package, because LM
> doesn't 'do' snap natively, but it does do flatpak.
>
> https://flathub.org/apps/com.github.eneshecan.WhatsAppForLinux
>
> --
> Mike Easter

Thank you but that returned:

error: app/com.github.eneshecan.WhatsAppForLinux/x86_64/master not installed

I am not sure what this is telling me.

Alan

--
Mint 21.1, kernel 5.15.0-67-generic, Cinnamon 5.6.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.

Re: WhaysApp

<4Fy1M.338805$rKDc.266469@fx34.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5954&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5954

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 13:05:04 -0400
 by: Nic - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 17:05 UTC

On 4/24/23 12:45, pinnerite wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Apr 2023 08:58:36 -0700
> Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:
>
>> pinnerite wrote:
>>> I had the WhatsApp for Linux package working well on 20.3 but for the
>>> life of me I cannot do so on 21.1.
>>>
>>> Apparently I needed to install snap. To do that i needed gedit.
>>>
>>> Yup. did all that but snap doesn't seem to show up!
>>>
>>> Help!
>>>
>>> I only need it to send my shopping list to my daughters who only know
>>> about phone apps.
>> I don't have any experience w/ whatsapp, but if I were going to install
>> it on LM, I would use the flatpak not the snap package, because LM
>> doesn't 'do' snap natively, but it does do flatpak.
>>
>> https://flathub.org/apps/com.github.eneshecan.WhatsAppForLinux
>>
>> --
>> Mike Easter
> Thank you but that returned:
>
> error: app/com.github.eneshecan.WhatsAppForLinux/x86_64/master not installed
>
> I am not sure what this is telling me.
>
> Alan

re:

I only need it to send my shopping list to my daughters who only know
about phone apps.

Just email your list, every body knows about email.

Re: WhaysApp

<kanr7aFf0srU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5955&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5955

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 10:05:45 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 17:05 UTC

pinnerite wrote:
> error: app/com.github.eneshecan.WhatsAppForLinux/x86_64/master not installed
>
> I am not sure what this is telling me.

Besides not having any experience w/ whatsapp, I also have almost none
w/ flatpak.

I'm partial to doing things w/ conventional packages.

I was looking around to see if there were alternatives for other linux
distro/s besides Mint; the Manjaro information told me there was a website.

https://web.whatsapp.com/

Without installing anything related to whatsapp, flatpak, snap, or
otherwise, that gives me the same screen that I got after I installed
the bulky flatpak on the live LM 21.

It still requires linking the computer w/ the phone.

More instructions:
https://faq.whatsapp.com/834124628020911/?locale=en_US&cms_platform=web

--
Mike Easter

Re: WhaysApp

<kanrekFf0srU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5956&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5956

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 10:09:40 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 17:09 UTC

Mike Easter wrote:
> Without installing anything related to whatsapp, flatpak, snap, or
> otherwise, that gives me the same screen that I got after I installed
> the bulky flatpak on the live LM 21.
>
> It still requires linking the computer w/ the phone.
>
> More instructions:
> https://faq.whatsapp.com/834124628020911/?locale=en_US&cms_platform=web

Aha!

Here's the problem requiring the phone to 'solve':

> Note: The authentication is handled by your device’s operating system
> using the biometrics stored there. WhatsApp can’t access the
> biometric information stored by your device's operating system.

It needs the phone's whatsapp authentication, if I'm understanding this
correctly.

--
Mike Easter

Re: WhaysApp

<kanrntFf3c4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5957&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5957

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 10:14:36 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 17:14 UTC

Mike Easter wrote:
> if I'm understanding this correctly.

Using myself as an example, here's the roundabout way I would have to
deal w/ this conundrum.

I have a very old dumb flipphone (using some ancient linux OS) w/ a
plan. They call that variety a 'feature' phone instead of very old and
very dumb. I also have a smart phone which does NOT have a plan. I use
it for all kinds of things including being able to 'phone' using wifi
and google phone.

So, I would use my smart phone w/ wifi and install the whatsapp. Then I
would not bother w/ flatpak or snap, but instead I would use the web
version of whatsapp and link it to my smartphone w/ the whatsapp
credentials.

Then I would be able to use the whatsapp w/ my computer via the webapp.

--
Mike Easter

Re: WhaysApp

<u26fpo$edr5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5958&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5958

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 13:55:03 -0400
 by: Big Al - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 17:55 UTC

On 4/24/23 11:32, this is what pinnerite wrote:
> I had the WhatsApp for Linux package working well on 20.3 but for the
> life of me I cannot do so on 21.1.
>
> Apparently I needed to install snap. To do that i needed gedit.
>
> Yup. did all that but snap doesn't seem to show up!
>
> Help!
>
> I only need it to send my shopping list to my daughters who only know
> about phone apps.

You could try installing pushbullet on your browser and your phone.
You create an account, I just used google. And with that you can send and receive text/images via SMS on your phone.

You browser communicates with the phone app and the phone app sends the info.
I use it all the time because I can type better on the PC and I can cut and paste items from the PC to the app.

--
Al

Re: WhaysApp

<20230424193925.74f88350732a612815ceb40b@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5960&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5960

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 19:39:25 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 18:39 UTC

On Mon, 24 Apr 2023 10:05:45 -0700
Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:

> pinnerite wrote:
> > error: app/com.github.eneshecan.WhatsAppForLinux/x86_64/master not installed
> >
> > I am not sure what this is telling me.
>
> Besides not having any experience w/ whatsapp, I also have almost none
> w/ flatpak.
>
> I'm partial to doing things w/ conventional packages.
>
> I was looking around to see if there were alternatives for other linux
> distro/s besides Mint; the Manjaro information told me there was a website.
>
> https://web.whatsapp.com/
>
> Without installing anything related to whatsapp, flatpak, snap, or
> otherwise, that gives me the same screen that I got after I installed
> the bulky flatpak on the live LM 21.
>
> It still requires linking the computer w/ the phone.
>
> More instructions:
> https://faq.whatsapp.com/834124628020911/?locale=en_US&cms_platform=web
>
> --
> Mike Easter

Thank you for going to so much trouble.
Problem solved.

Regards, Alan

--
Mint 21.1, kernel 5.15.0-67-generic, Cinnamon 5.6.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.

Re: WhaysApp

<kaoa90Fh9jqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5962&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5962

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 14:22:39 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 21:22 UTC

pinnerite wrote:
> I only need it to send my shopping list to my daughters who only know
> about phone apps.

If all you need to do is send a text via mobile with your computer you
don't /have/ to do it w/ whatsapp, you can just do it w/ a googlevoice
number. Free signup. I send and receive text via GV and my computer w/
full sized screen and keyboard all the time.

But, if you are trying to be 'compliant' w/ your daughters who want to
get the msg in their whatsapp, then you can choose to do it the way we
discussed.

--
Mike Easter

Re: WhaysApp

<u2fqn8$2biot$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5974&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5974

From: teddythe...@europe.com (Thebest Teddy)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 08:56:36 +0200
 by: Thebest Teddy - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 06:56 UTC

Le 24/04/2023 à 18:45, pinnerite a écrit :
> On Mon, 24 Apr 2023 08:58:36 -0700
> Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:
>
>> pinnerite wrote:
>>> I had the WhatsApp for Linux package working well on 20.3 but for the
>>> life of me I cannot do so on 21.1.
>>>
>>> Apparently I needed to install snap. To do that i needed gedit.
>>>
>>> Yup. did all that but snap doesn't seem to show up!
>>>
>>> Help!
>>>
>>> I only need it to send my shopping list to my daughters who only know
>>> about phone apps.
>>
>> I don't have any experience w/ whatsapp, but if I were going to install
>> it on LM, I would use the flatpak not the snap package, because LM
>> doesn't 'do' snap natively, but it does do flatpak.
>>
>> https://flathub.org/apps/com.github.eneshecan.WhatsAppForLinux
>>
>> --

Have you tried to install the git hub package from the source in a
terminal, using a command line ?

git clone https://github.com/eneshecan/whatsapp-for-linux
sudo make install

(sudo make install must be run from your whatsapp-for-linux directory)

You can have more information about whatsapp-for-linux in the readme
file at https://github.com/eneshecan/whatsapp-for-linux#readme

And this github repo have packages in different versions (AppImage, deb,
snap) ; read more at
https://github.com/eneshecan/whatsapp-for-linux/releases