Multics is security spelled sideways.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Several Problems

SubjectAuthor
* Several ProblemsKen Blake
+* Re: Several ProblemsAndy Burns
|`* Re: Several ProblemsPaul
| `* Re: Several ProblemsJ. P. Gilliver (John)
|  `- Re: Several ProblemsPaul
+- Re: Several ProblemsKen Blake
+- Re: Several ProblemsChar Jackson
`* Re: Several Problems...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
 +- Re: Several ProblemsPaul
 +* Re: Several ProblemsKen Blake
 |`* Re: Several Problems...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
 | `- Re: Several ProblemsKen Blake
 `- Re: Several Problems...w¡ñ§±¤ñ

1
Several Problems

<jdr41h1bd2ff1scbcq642h77vboac7ogh6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59518&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59518

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Several Problems
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 09:45:04 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 16:45 UTC

My knowledge of Windows 10 is rapidly growing thin, and since I've
never seen these problems before, and don't know a lot about update
problems, I'm posting the description of her problem for a friend.

Sorry it's so long. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help, and if
anyone needs more information, let me know and I'll ask her for it.

*****************************

Windows Update screen continually displays "Your device is missing
important security and quality fixes"

Today it read:

2022-02 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 (I
have 4.8)for Windows 10 Version 21H1 for x64 (KB5009467)[Update
History Page says it is installed!] Status: Pending restart.

2022-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 21H1 for x64-based
Systems (KB5010342)Status: Pending restart.

This is what happens after above files are fully downloaded and,
supposedly, ready to install: I click on Restart from the Update
page.

All messages appear on a blue screen except for 3a (only happened
once) which was on a black boot background:

1. Working on updates; __%complete; Don't turn off your computer
(Takes about 4 minutes)

2. (after 100% complete is reached) We couldn't complete the updates;
undoing changes; Don't turn off your computer (About 8 minutes)

3. Restarting (reboots but goes back into the updating loop))

3a. Updating your system __% (I only observed this once during reboot)

Then instead of Welcome Screen:

4. We couldn't complete the changes; Undoing changes; Don't turn off
your computer.

5. Restarting (reboots)

6. Getting Windows ready; Don't turn off your computer (another 8
min.)

7. We couldn't complete...Undoing...

7a. Cleaning up; __% complete; Don't turn off.... (this doesn't always
appear)

8. Finally reboots to Welcome Screen.

NOW, today, after this most recent reboot, Windows Update said I
needed KB5010472 (a different file), but Update history says it Was
already successfully
installed.

KB5010342 is still definitely not installed.

UPDATE PAGE AND UPDATE HISTORY DON'T AGREE on more than one file. Also
there is one update file, KB4023057, that has been installed,
supposedly, eight times since 1/23/21!

So.....

I ran Update & Security> Troubleshoot> Additional Troubleshooters>
Windows Update.

TS said it fixed something, not all (I think it just restarted BITS)
and directed me to reboot--UGH! So I did and it went through the above
sequence all over.

Then I repeated the same Troubleshoot and intended to send you a PDF
file but my scanner stopped working so I took a photo of the two
page report. [Her scanner started again and I have it. See it below
after the line of *s]

IsPostback_RC_PendingUpdates: I read something about Stack Overflow
with regard to this. That alarms me. I went to microsoft.answers.com
and got this to try:

In command prompt, entering after each line;

1. net stop wauaserv (wasn't started)

2. net stop cryptsvc (stopped successfully)

3. net stop BITS (wasn't started)

4. net stop msiserver (stopped successfully)

5. Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old (A
positional parameter cannot e found that accepts the argument
SoftwareDistribution.old)

6. Since #5 didn't work, I skipped this: Ren
C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old and restarted the four
services.

I did read somewhere else that the SoftwareDistribution Folder could
be emptied, but have done nothing in that direction.

Also didn't look into the BITS issue, though I saw in Task Manager
that it seems to arbitrarily turn on and off.

Also, Microsoft Support--Fix Update Errors prompted me to check:

1. Free space on C drive (I have tons)

2. Disconnect all externals before Update (no help)

3. Check for needed Driver updates (found a problem with PCI Serial
Port.

Tried unsuccessfully to update the driver. No publisher information
(might be Intel) I also got the message "No Driver files required". I
don't even know if anything is trying to use it. I tried to get some
help from Intel, but found nothing helpful.

*****************************

Windows Update
Potential issues that were checked
some security settings are missing or have been changed lssue not
present
Check for missing or corrupt files
Service registration is missing or corrupt
Check for Windows Update issues
Potential issues that were checked
some security settings are missing or have been changed Issue not
present
Check for missing or corrupt files
Service registration is missing or corrupt
Check for Windows Update issu�s
Detects issues related to Windows Update.
Detection details
S lsPostback_RC_PendingUpdates
lsPostback False
S Service Status
Problem with Blrs service : The requested service has already been
started.
system.Management.Automation.RemoteException More help is available by
typing NET
H ELPMSG 2 1 82. System.Management.Automation.RemoteException
Collection information
Computer Name: WlN10
Windows Version: 40.0
Architecture: x64
Time: Saturday, iebruary 19,20224:14:40 pM
Publisher details
Background lntelligent Transfer Service
Find and fix problems that may prevent background downloads from
working
Package Version: 3.5
Publisher: Microsoft Windows
Windows Network Diagnostics
Detects problems with network connectivity.
Package Version: 4.0
Publisher: Microsoft Windows
lssue not present
lssue not present
lssue not present
lssue not present
Issue not present
lssue not present
fie:lllc:Nsers/ownerlAppData/Local/ElevatedDiagnosticsl25602g3460l202202lg2l.000l...
2llg/2022Page2 of2
Windows Update
Resolve problems that prevent you from updating Windows.
Package Version: 9.3
Publisher: Microsoft Windows
Windows Update
Resolve problems that prevent you from updating Windows.
Package Version: 9.2
Publisher: Microsoft Corporation

Re: Several Problems

<j7fa1tF4kc3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59519&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59519

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Several Problems
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 16:54:21 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 16:54 UTC

Ken Blake wrote:

> Then I repeated the same Troubleshoot

If the troublshooter hasn't fixed it, I'd say download the 21H2 installer and
just do an install-over-the-top.

p.s. you'll notice you're being "faked" in multiple groups, not much you can do
since it's coming from the home of nym-shifters (aioe).

Re: Several Problems

<fmv41h119q01imtqbs3nol3s37i2nooubf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59523&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59523

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 10:48:38 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 17:48 UTC

On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 09:34:43 -0800, Nobody <jock@soccer.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 09:45:04 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
>wrote:
>
>>My knowledge of Windows 10 is rapidly growing thin, and since I've
>>never seen these problems before, and don't know a lot about update
>>problems, I'm posting the description of her problem for a friend.
>>
>>Sorry it's so long. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help, and if
>>anyone needs more information, let me know and I'll ask her for it.
>>>

>(Friend's symptoms cauterised)
>
>I had a less severe problem with Win 10 updating from (my vague
>memory) 1806 to 1903.
>
>All sanity returned after doing a *Repair Image*:
>
><https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image>
>
>"How to run DISM..." and "How to run SFC..." below the third para
>straightened things out, and are easy for a relative novice to follow.

Thanks. I'll pass this on to my friend.

Re: Several Problems

<hn451h18mncvrku93kve2b3qb64i4dsqpt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59534&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59534

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 13:22:32 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 19:22 UTC

On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 09:45:04 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

[snip]

>5. Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old (A
>positional parameter cannot e found that accepts the argument
>SoftwareDistribution.old)
>
>6. Since #5 didn't work, I skipped this: Ren
>C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old and restarted the four
>services.

Steps 5 and 6 look odd to me because of the inconsistent path
specifications, but it depends on what your current directory is. For
#5, if your current directory is C:\Windows then any of these forms
should be similar:

Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution
SoftwareDistribution.old

Ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

But if your current directory is something other than C:\Windows, you'd
effectively be doing a "rename + move" on that folder, which is probably
not what you want.

Same idea for #6.

Re: Several Problems

<suucg8$php$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59547&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59547

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 14:40:22 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 21:40 UTC

Ken Blake wrote:
> My knowledge of Windows 10 is rapidly growing thin, and since I've
> never seen these problems before, and don't know a lot about update
> problems, I'm posting the description of her problem for a friend.
>
> Sorry it's so long. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help, and if
> anyone needs more information, let me know and I'll ask her for it.
>

> *****************************
>
> Windows Update screen continually displays "Your device is missing
> important security and quality fixes"
>

> Today it read:
>
> 2022-02 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 (I
> have 4.8)for Windows 10 Version 21H1 for x64 (KB5009467)[Update
> History Page says it is installed!] Status: Pending restart.
>
> 2022-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 21H1 for x64-based
> Systems (KB5010342)Status: Pending restart.

> NOW, today, after this most recent reboot, Windows Update said I
> needed KB5010472 (a different file), but Update history says it Was
> already successfully
> installed.
>
> KB5010342 is still definitely not installed.
>
> UPDATE PAGE AND UPDATE HISTORY DON'T AGREE on more than one file. Also
> there is one update file, KB4023057, that has been installed,
> supposedly, eight times since 1/23/21!

KB5009467 - Feb 8 .NET Update(Preview)
KB5010472 - Feb 15 .NET Update
KB5010342 - Feb 8 Cumulative Windows Update
KB4023057 - Update for Windows Update services(KB number is stagnant,
doesn't change when an update for Windows Update services are necessary

The system is looping, also the reason 4023057 is attempting to be
reinstalled. It's needed to install updates by Windows Update.
4023057 is automatically installed, thus every time a failure occurs it
reverts to an earlier version of 5010472.
- if it can't install the latest, it can not perform its design intent
to update Windows Update files and fix any broken/corrupt Windows *and*
Windows Update files including repairing/reseting the Windows Update
database.

You've a few options.
Windows and Windows Updates first needs to be fixed
Perform the steps in each of these articles in the same order the
article is shown below.
-i.e. do 1 before 2 and follow the instructions in each articles 'How
To' section in the exact order shown

1.
<https://windowsunplugged.blog/2019/01/06/windows-10-dism-tool-for-analyzing-and-cleaning-the-winsxs-folder-component-store/>

2.
<https://windowsunplugged.blog/2016/01/06/windows-10-dism-tool-for-checking-and-repairing-a-windows-system-image/>

3. Rename Windows' SoftwareDistribution folder to SoftwareDistributionOld

4. Restart and Retest

If #1 and/or 2 show nothing wrong
i.e.
- 1. no component store cleanup necessary
- 2. no corruption in the Windows System Image(CheckHealth and ScanHealth)
Then, follow Windows 10 instructions for Recovery(Reset or Restore the
device to an earlier System Restore Point(January 2022 or December 2021
or November 2021)
- if using System Restore...first verify that the January 2022
updates(KB50009543 and 5010793) were successfully installed by Windows
Update. If not, the problem started before January 2022 then restore to
the December or November point in time.
If no restore points are available, Reset or Clean Install Windows 10.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Several Problems

<suvehi$il8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59573&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59573

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 02:21:22 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 07:21 UTC

On 2/20/2022 9:20 PM, Nobody wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> 3. Rename Windows' SoftwareDistribution folder to SoftwareDistributionOld
>>
>> 4. Restart and Retest
>>
>> If #1 and/or 2 show nothing wrong
>> i.e.
>> - 1. no component store cleanup necessary
>> - 2. no corruption in the Windows System Image(CheckHealth and ScanHealth)
>> Then, follow Windows 10 instructions for Recovery(Reset or Restore the
>> device to an earlier System Restore Point(January 2022 or December 2021
>> or November 2021)
>> - if using System Restore...first verify that the January 2022
>> updates(KB50009543 and 5010793) were successfully installed by Windows
>> Update. If not, the problem started before January 2022 then restore to
>> the December or November point in time.
>> If no restore points are available, Reset or Clean Install Windows 10.
>
> A rather long-winded way of what I suggested with DISM/SFC already...

I think I'd rather see a log file first, than reach for the recipe.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/archive/blogs/charlesa_us/windows-10-windowsupdate-log-and-how-to-view-it-with-powershell-or-tracefmt-exe

Admin Powershell

Get-WindowsUpdateLog

===> C:\Users\username\Desktop\WindowsUpdate.log (icon on desktop)

The only problem with this, is it might have worked properly
in 10240, but was broken forever and a day after that. All a
recipient can do, is try it, and see if it got fixed. It will be
even more cryptic than normal, if broken.

Microsoft logs are just awful. Microsoft has written a couple
tools in the past, for picking out the "root cause" from some
of these logs, to give some idea just how awful the logs are.
That you need a tool to read the log for you.

*******

But you might want to distinguish between a "wureset" case and
a DISM/SFC case.

The wureset script (and all the copycat versions and troubleshooter
versions of the same thing), still lavish attention on BITS, when
there is a parallel service called DoSVC that the thing is really
using. I hope to some day, within my lifetime, see that script
get edited. The script will whine and throw an error about BITS,
but maybe the script is too old to be compatible with the latest
Windows versions. I think the BITS is still sitting there, for
backward compatibility (one Powershell applet uses BITS as a
wget engine).

*******

The suggestion of DISM/SFC at one time, was pretty effective, because
some of the problems were traceable to bad packaging (throwing HTML
files into packages, files that were not track-able). But my infrequent
usage of the things now, they hardly ever cough up a hairball. So someone
at head office must be running DISM/SFC on some test machines, to reduce
the distribution of hairballs to unsuspecting customers.

Paul

Re: Several Problems

<suvguo$v4q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59575&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59575

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 03:02:32 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 08:02 UTC

On 2/20/2022 11:54 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
> Ken Blake wrote:
>
>> Then I repeated the same Troubleshoot
>
> If the troublshooter hasn't fixed it, I'd say download the 21H2 installer
> and just do an install-over-the-top.
>
> p.s. you'll notice you're being "faked" in multiple groups, not much you
> can do since it's coming from the home of nym-shifters (aioe).

Run a winver.exe first and see what version the OS is at.

(Table of build numbers)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_version_history

On the plus side, a Repair/Upgrade install moves Windows to Windows.old,
but is also more than just the Windows folder. It sometimes has parts
of Program Files in it. But it's basically a multi-purpose waste basket.

The install will not "clean" the registry.

Good malware will easily defeat the operation. (The malware people
do test their stuff :-/ )

The installer, when you run "Setup.exe" from the DVD or ISO you've
mounted, it will attempt to "install updates" first. When I did
one of these a week ago, it downloaded an AppCompat check, and
that's a list of programs it will ask you to remove before the
upgrade goes ahead. Now, if WU is broken or msiexec is not
working or so, who knows, maybe it'll get stuck at this step
(of "trying to update").

The second negative, is it can take *hours* for one of these to run.
It is a slack-arse process. I caught it several times, taking snoozes
while I was waiting for it. So if you were thinking "it'll push that
processor to 110% getting this job done", no, on occasion you will be
wondering what it is doing (wasting your time). I usually plug and
unplug the network cable a couple times, to "remind it I am present
and I am not happy".

If you empty a SoftwareUpdate folder, it only tends to repopulate
with the same rubbish as before. Which means a structural problem
could come right back.

In any case, a build number to go with the problem posting,
would not be a bad idea. Just to see how many releases behind
the machine is. Some peoples machines are quite far behind.
And then an in-place Upgrade is that much more attractive
(if you have the DVD or ISO). Because it saves having to download
the damn thing, yet again.

I try to use the latest MediaCreationTool, to collect ISOs for
the future. And when I had to Repair Install a Windows 10, I already
had the ISO for it. It's because I never wait for Windows Update
to install the next OS version - I just jam it in with the ISO
when the ISO becomes available.

Always run a backup before an Upgrade install. Bring your Macrium
CD and you don't even need to install Macrium on the hard drive to be
able to use it. Just boot the Macrium CD. The Microsoft installer is
very good, but you never know when an unforeseen circumstance can arise
(unhealthy hard drive).

Paul

Re: Several Problems

<gbe71h9880eo4vo6i80n23qjedpb4knsa2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59595&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59595

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 09:10:53 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 16:10 UTC

On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 14:40:22 -0700, ...w�񧱤� <winstonmvp@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>
>3. Rename Windows' SoftwareDistribution folder to SoftwareDistributionOld
>
>4. Restart and Retest
>
>If #1 and/or 2 show nothing wrong
>i.e.
> - 1. no component store cleanup necessary
> - 2. no corruption in the Windows System Image(CheckHealth and ScanHealth)
>Then, follow Windows 10 instructions for Recovery(Reset or Restore the
>device to an earlier System Restore Point(January 2022 or December 2021
>or November 2021)
> - if using System Restore...first verify that the January 2022
>updates(KB50009543 and 5010793) were successfully installed by Windows
>Update. If not, the problem started before January 2022 then restore to
>the December or November point in time.
>If no restore points are available, Reset or Clean Install Windows 10.

Thanks very much. I've forwarded your answer to my friend.

Re: Several Problems

<FmXBOD2gU8EiFwQH@a.a>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59604&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59604

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 17:00:16 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 17:00 UTC

On Mon, 21 Feb 2022 at 03:02:32, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote (my
[]
>Always run a backup before an Upgrade install. Bring your Macrium
>CD and you don't even need to install Macrium on the hard drive to be
>able to use it. Just boot the Macrium CD. The Microsoft installer is

Though prepare for a long wait. I used to think my Macrium 5 mini-CD
took a long time, but at least you got a (real) progress bar;
unfortunately, M5 doesn't work beyond early versions of W10. About last
August or September I had reason to use an M7 CD (will no longer fit on
a mini-one) - and was genuinely concerned the system had crashed. (I
can't remember whether I was waiting for a black screen, or circling
dots - if it was the latter, they don't of course give any progress
indication.)

An M7 USB stick might be faster.

>very good, but you never know when an unforeseen circumstance can arise
>(unhealthy hard drive).
>
> Paul

They'd never heard of me; they didn't like me; they didn't like my speech;
they tutted and clucked and looked at their watches and eventually I sat down
to a thunderous lack of applause. - Barry Norman (on preceding Douglas Bader),
in RT 6-12 July 2013

Re: Several Problems

<sv0jf2$rg3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59611&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59611

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 12:51:30 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 17:51 UTC

On 2/21/2022 12:00 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2022 at 03:02:32, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
> []
>> Always run a backup before an Upgrade install. Bring your Macrium
>> CD and you don't even need to install Macrium on the hard drive to be
>> able to use it. Just boot the Macrium CD. The Microsoft installer is
>
> Though prepare for a long wait. I used to think my Macrium 5 mini-CD took a long time, but at least you got a (real) progress bar; unfortunately, M5 doesn't work beyond early versions of W10. About last August or September I had reason to use an M7 CD (will no longer fit on a mini-one) - and was genuinely concerned the system had crashed. (I can't remember whether I was waiting for a black screen, or circling dots - if it was the latter, they don't of course give any progress indication.)
>
> An M7 USB stick might be faster.
>
>> very good, but you never know when an unforeseen circumstance can arise
>> (unhealthy hard drive).
>>
>>   Paul

I have an M7 stick and probably seven or eight optical discs
from various eras of Macrium.

The WinPE environment reads the WIM contiguously off the optical
drive and loads it into the Microsoft ramdisk X: partition. That's
why you can pop out the Macrium CD once it is loaded.

You're then, talking about the time to load, say, a 300MB WIM
at 5MB/sec on the optical drive. Select the flavor of blank
media, which supports the highest I/O rate (a DVD can go
faster than a CD). A Bluray disc could go faster still,
but I doubt anyone can afford to make those a "habit".

After X: is filled, the software still has to "boot". That
takes time.

And hardly any software on a computer, makes good usage of
the hardware resources. Got a quad core CPU ? The software
will use one core. Got 64GB of RAM ? The software will stop
at 2GB. The RAMDisk for X: for example, is of limited size,
and they don't even dream of using the Linux approach (Linux
Live allocates half the RAM as session storage, by default).
I keep staring at the computer and saying "why did I spend all
this money on hardware again ?". It's like the developers want
everyone to have an "equally miserable" experience :-) I
might as well have bought a single core Celeron.

Paul

Re: Several Problems

<sv0l3t$99e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59616&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59616

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 11:19:40 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 18:19 UTC

Ken Blake wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 14:40:22 -0700, ...w�񧱤� <winstonmvp@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> The system is looping, also the reason 4023057 is attempting to be
>> reinstalled. It's needed to install updates by Windows Update.
>> 4023057 is automatically installed, thus every time a failure occurs it
>> *****reverts to an earlier version of 5010472.*****

> Thanks very much. I've forwarded your answer to my friend.

Should read..*****reverts to an earlier cumulative update versions and
an earlier released version of the same/never changes number KB update
for Windows Update components KB4023057.*****

Also, adding, since the reverted versions are earlier, the latest
available are pushed again.
-e.g. in your case(or another persons), the .NET Preview[Feb. 8) was
replaced by it's later .NET(not a Preview, Feb. 15)

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ
msft mvp 2007-2021

Re: Several Problems

<g6m71htoqqjgqgpc7kev187k2ugul434g2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59617&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59617

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 11:24:43 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 18:24 UTC

On Mon, 21 Feb 2022 11:19:40 -0700, ...w�񧱤� <winstonmvp@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Ken Blake wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 14:40:22 -0700, ...w�񧱤� <winstonmvp@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>
>>> The system is looping, also the reason 4023057 is attempting to be
>>> reinstalled. It's needed to install updates by Windows Update.
>>> 4023057 is automatically installed, thus every time a failure occurs it
>>> *****reverts to an earlier version of 5010472.*****
>
>> Thanks very much. I've forwarded your answer to my friend.
>>

>Should read..*****reverts to an earlier cumulative update versions and
>an earlier released version of the same/never changes number KB update
>for Windows Update components KB4023057.*****
>
>Also, adding, since the reverted versions are earlier, the latest
>available are pushed again.
> -e.g. in your case(or another persons), the .NET Preview[Feb. 8) was
>replaced by it's later .NET(not a Preview, Feb. 15)

Thanks again. Forwarded that too.

Ken

Re: Several Problems

<sv0mcs$j63$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59623&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59623

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 11:41:31 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 18:41 UTC

Nobody wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> 3. Rename Windows' SoftwareDistribution folder to SoftwareDistributionOld
>>
>> 4. Restart and Retest
>>
>> If #1 and/or 2 show nothing wrong
>> i.e.
>> - 1. no component store cleanup necessary
>> - 2. no corruption in the Windows System Image(CheckHealth and ScanHealth)
>> Then, follow Windows 10 instructions for Recovery(Reset or Restore the
>> device to an earlier System Restore Point(January 2022 or December 2021
>> or November 2021)
>> - if using System Restore...first verify that the January 2022
>> updates(KB50009543 and 5010793) were successfully installed by Windows
>> Update. If not, the problem started before January 2022 then restore to
>> the December or November point in time.
>> If no restore points are available, Reset or Clean Install Windows 10.
>
> A rather long-winded way of what I suggested with DISM/SFC already...

What you suggested was fine. In fact your linked article was a bit more
long-winded than my post<g> and a higher likelihood of unnecessary content.

Since we don't know the 'friends' level of experience fixing, imo, it'
better to add details in ordered steps and potential results.

In this case check and get rid of any fodder in the WinXs folder and
before using DISM 'health and restore' and SFC options
- I've my doubts that SFC is going to fix anything.

--
msft mvp 2007-2021