God doesn't play dice. -- Albert Einstein

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / A Happy Find

SubjectAuthor
* A Happy FindSpalls Hurgenson
+* Re: A Happy FindJustisaur
|`* Re: A Happy FindSpalls Hurgenson
| +* Re: A Happy FindJAB
| |`* Re: A Happy FindSpalls Hurgenson
| | `* Re: A Happy FindJAB
| |  `* Re: A Happy FindSpalls Hurgenson
| |   `* Re: A Happy FindJAB
| |    +* Re: A Happy FindDimensional Traveler
| |    |`- Re: A Happy FindJAB
| |    +- Re: A Happy FindSpalls Hurgenson
| |    `- Re: A Happy FindAnssi Saari
| `* Re: A Happy FindAnssi Saari
|  `* Re: A Happy FindJAB
|   `* Re: A Happy FindAnssi Saari
|    `- Re: A Happy FindJAB
+- Re: A Happy FindJAB
+* Re: A Happy FindAnt
|`- Re: A Happy FindSpalls Hurgenson
`* Re: A Happy FindRoss Ridge
 `- Re: A Happy FindSpalls Hurgenson

1
A Happy Find

<ibkrugplatkgg8knm0g9o7s7h0bpk7rg2g@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5975&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5975

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: A Happy Find
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 17:32:30 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 22:32 UTC

I'm not a dumpster-diver, not really... but neither am I entirely
averse to making use of something somebody else has carelessly
discarded... especially when it is electronic. I've only ever bought
one TV thanks to this habit (although I really could use a new one, so
if anyone is thinking of discarding a 44"+ flat-screen anytime soon,
let me know ;-).

So when I saw this beastie* lying on the curb, I knew I had to grab
it. Sure it looks like an unholy cross between a microwave and a
stereo system, but who knew what goodies lay inside? Even if it didn't
work anymore - and odds were high, given it had been sitting in some
inclement weather for gods know how long - I'd have a fun time
fiddling about and diagnosing its problems.**

It turns out, though, the computer was 100% functional. Oh, it took a
lot of cleaning to get rid of the mud and grime, but once I got
everything dried and cleaned up, the machine ran without a hitch. Even
the power-supply was still in optimal condition.

(The previous owner did leave his hard-drive in the computer, and
unwiped too. It's a good thing I picked this up and not somebody more
nefarious, because he left a lot of personal info on the disk. I
erased the disk and re-installed the OS. Never toss a PC without
wiping (or at least destroying) the hard-drive, people! If you don't
know how to do it, get a local geek to help. This guy left his name,
drivers license, SSN, the whole lot on the disk. Probably more; I
didn't really go searching).

The PC is, unsurprisingly, not the newest; I date it back to 2015 or
2016. Still, if it wasn't cutting edge back then, it was definitely a
high-end machine for its era. Featuring a quad-core i5, 8GB of RAM and
a GeForce 7700, it probably ran the games of 2015 quite well. Throw in
another 8GB RAM and a GeForce 1080, and it can probably play pretty
much any game today, although you'll likely have to reduce the visual
quality somewhat.

I even appreciate the chassis, bulky as it is. It makes swapping
components very easy, and offers some excellent - if tricky - cable
management. God knows where I'll put it, though; discrete it is not.

I really didn't expect to find such a useful machine. I was hoping to
maybe get a component or two that I could use in some other build. At
the very least I figured I'd get some entertainment by stripping it
for pieces. It turns out I'll actually keep the whole thing as is.
It's actually a superior PC to my current 'back-up' computer (the one
I keep around in case the main PC goes tits up).

Thank you, not-so-nameless person*** who junked a perfectly acceptable
gaming PC for no good reason! Your waste is my gain!

------------------------------
* https://www.scan.co.uk/images/products/2812281-a.jpg
** Yes, I have an odd sense of what is fun.
*** Not nameless due to careless data handling.

Re: A Happy Find

<d47f96c1-e893-4c7c-a4c4-26d025fb5855n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5976&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5976

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 19:19:04 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: A Happy Find
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 03:19 UTC

On Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 2:32:38 PM UTC-8, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> I'm not a dumpster-diver, not really... but neither am I entirely
> averse to making use of something somebody else has carelessly
> discarded... especially when it is electronic. I've only ever bought
> one TV thanks to this habit (although I really could use a new one, so
> if anyone is thinking of discarding a 44"+ flat-screen anytime soon,
> let me know ;-).
>
> So when I saw this beastie* lying on the curb, I knew I had to grab
> it. Sure it looks like an unholy cross between a microwave and a
> stereo system, but who knew what goodies lay inside? Even if it didn't
> work anymore - and odds were high, given it had been sitting in some
> inclement weather for gods know how long - I'd have a fun time
> fiddling about and diagnosing its problems.**
>
> It turns out, though, the computer was 100% functional. Oh, it took a
> lot of cleaning to get rid of the mud and grime, but once I got
> everything dried and cleaned up, the machine ran without a hitch. Even
> the power-supply was still in optimal condition.
>
> (The previous owner did leave his hard-drive in the computer, and
> unwiped too. It's a good thing I picked this up and not somebody more
> nefarious, because he left a lot of personal info on the disk. I
> erased the disk and re-installed the OS. Never toss a PC without
> wiping (or at least destroying) the hard-drive, people! If you don't
> know how to do it, get a local geek to help. This guy left his name,
> drivers license, SSN, the whole lot on the disk. Probably more; I
> didn't really go searching).
>
> The PC is, unsurprisingly, not the newest; I date it back to 2015 or
> 2016. Still, if it wasn't cutting edge back then, it was definitely a
> high-end machine for its era. Featuring a quad-core i5, 8GB of RAM and
> a GeForce 7700, it probably ran the games of 2015 quite well. Throw in
> another 8GB RAM and a GeForce 1080, and it can probably play pretty
> much any game today, although you'll likely have to reduce the visual
> quality somewhat.
>
> I even appreciate the chassis, bulky as it is. It makes swapping
> components very easy, and offers some excellent - if tricky - cable
> management. God knows where I'll put it, though; discrete it is not.
>
> I really didn't expect to find such a useful machine. I was hoping to
> maybe get a component or two that I could use in some other build. At
> the very least I figured I'd get some entertainment by stripping it
> for pieces. It turns out I'll actually keep the whole thing as is.
> It's actually a superior PC to my current 'back-up' computer (the one
> I keep around in case the main PC goes tits up).
>
> Thank you, not-so-nameless person*** who junked a perfectly acceptable
> gaming PC for no good reason! Your waste is my gain!

Wow that is a beast! I've never seen a case like that. I was expecting
a big tower like I have. I recently bought a new tower, which is a bit
thicker than a standard one, I like it much better than my one from...
so long ago I don't remember.

I bought 8 GB more ram. I had 8, and I didn't see CPU, HD or network
slowdowns, but the ram was always full, and DS kept having slow
downs when it loaded areas and things, so I tried the upgrade and
it pretty much fixed the issue. I also bought a 2TB SSD since my
current one keeps getting full and I have to uninstall games to
install new ones. Shameful I know. I haven't installed that yet though.
I wanted to buy a new VC, but the prices are still insane, so I thought
I'd try those first.

I'd be Ecstatic to find a curb computer with a 1080 as I'm still on a 950.
A quick look at Amazon shows even those are in the $700 range
right now.

Re: A Happy Find

<sslqlb$a7b$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5977&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5977

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 09:14:17 +0000
 by: JAB - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 09:14 UTC

On 23/01/2022 22:32, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> I'm not a dumpster-diver, not really... but neither am I entirely
> averse to making use of something somebody else has carelessly
> discarded... especially when it is electronic. I've only ever bought
> one TV thanks to this habit (although I really could use a new one, so
> if anyone is thinking of discarding a 44"+ flat-screen anytime soon,
> let me know ;-).
>
> So when I saw this beastie* lying on the curb, I knew I had to grab
> it. Sure it looks like an unholy cross between a microwave and a
> stereo system, but who knew what goodies lay inside? Even if it didn't
> work anymore - and odds were high, given it had been sitting in some
> inclement weather for gods know how long - I'd have a fun time
> fiddling about and diagnosing its problems.**

[snip]

Nice find and yes a bit strange to throw away a perfectly functioning
PC. Possibly they they just didn't think it was worth going to the
effort of selling it. I know that when I've upgraded my system I always
think about selling the old bits but never quite get around to doing it.

Re: A Happy Find

<tdGdnRwgCITKeXP8nZ2dnUU7-dudnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5979&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5979

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 11:39:35 -0600
 by: Ant - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 17:39 UTC

Lucky you! Did you take any photos of before and after?

--
Slammy Sunday after a quiet CATurday! D: Crazy NFL! Go LA Rams! Win the next two games at home please. :D
| |o o| |

Re: A Happy Find

<sh4uughucrkcjggmb13s2moe8c67ka2su6@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5982&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5982

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 16:07:32 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 21:07 UTC

On Mon, 24 Jan 2022 11:39:35 -0600, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

>Lucky you! Did you take any photos of before and after?

Unfortunately, no, although I'm not sure the 'damage' would have all
that evident. Some of the grills on the side (the part touching the
ground) had clumps of mud in them, and there was general grime and
evidence of water running over a number the components, but overall
the machine was in pretty good condition, considering it had sat out
in the weather for a while.

I let it dry for a day or two, then took it apart. The case got a
soapy warm-water cleaning, and I gave the circuit boards a thorough
scrubbing with a toothbrush and isopropyl alcohol. The drives seemed
to have survived without even getting wet, probably because they were
in their own enclosed drive cage. There was evidence that the former
user had taken good care of the machine (the fans were fairly clean
and showed evidence that they'd been lubricated at least once). I've
BOUGHT used machines that have been in worse condition.

The motherboard could probably stand another wipedown; I got it to the
point of 'good enough' when I reassambled it, because I was convinced
it wasn't going to work. Not because I thought the wet had damaged it
- it didn't seem to have been in the rain long enough to start any
corrosion - but because who would throw out a computer like this
unless it was broken? Of course, now that I got it all back together,
I'm loath to strip it back down to its components again.

Actually, I did take pictures: when disassembling PCs, I always take
pics of how the whole thing goes together beforehand (especially with
those annoying power/reset/led cables on the motherboard, since those
aren't standardized). But once I got the computer back together again,
I deleted the pictures. They wouldn't have been that interesting to
look at anyway.

Re: A Happy Find

<oa5uugpa8mr503tp7sjl4t0asce3pbv3il@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5983&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5983

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 16:41:17 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 21:41 UTC

On Sun, 23 Jan 2022 19:19:04 -0800 (PST), Justisaur
<justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:

>Wow that is a beast! I've never seen a case like that. I was expecting
>a big tower like I have. I recently bought a new tower, which is a bit
>thicker than a standard one, I like it much better than my one from...
>so long ago I don't remember.

I generally prefer towers myself; you can use them vertically or lay
them down on their side, and they're usually easier to fit into odd
spaces than other formats. I say usually; there are exceptions. My
current PC's chassis is massive (80cm tall) and barely fits beneath
the desk. Still, I don't mind; I like having a lot of room inside for
when I tinker.

This cube chassis is unusual; it's described as a "LAN Box", although
I can't imagine anyone using this for a LAN over a rack-mount. It
seems feature-built for gaming, with lots of room for the GPU(s). I'm
not sure I prefer this form-factor over my beloved towers, but I admit
it did make swapping and testing components very easy.

Still, one feature I do like is that it has room for hot-pluggable
hard-drives, which is actually I feature I can use. Not that I have
any hot-swappable HDDs in regular use, but it will make wiping older
drives (repurposed from other machines) that much easier. Right now I
have an external device that I can plug an old drive into, but with
that I have to deal with a lot of extra cabling. In this regard, the
new PC's plug-n-play drive-bays are a god-send.

>I bought 8 GB more ram. I had 8, and I didn't see CPU, HD or network
>slowdowns, but the ram was always full, and DS kept having slow
>downs when it loaded areas and things, so I tried the upgrade and
>it pretty much fixed the issue. I also bought a 2TB SSD since my
>current one keeps getting full and I have to uninstall games to
>install new ones. Shameful I know. I haven't installed that yet though.
>I wanted to buy a new VC, but the prices are still insane, so I thought
>I'd try those first.

8GB is a bit low for a modern PC, but given that my find is six or
seven years old, it's fine for the task. Were I to start using it more
regularly, I'd definitely upgrade.

The new PC actually has an SSD, albeit a tiny 120GB drive (with
virtually no wear). Still, that's enough for its OS, applications, and
even a few games. It also has a fairly capable 1GB 'spinning-rust'
hard-drive; perhaps not optimal for the newest games, but more than
satisfactory for games of its era. Again, were I forced to use this
machine more often, that's another thing that would need an upgrade,
but as a backup PC it's fine.

>I'd be Ecstatic to find a curb computer with a 1080 as I'm still on a 950.
>A quick look at Amazon shows even those are in the $700 range
>right now.

Just a note: my find didn't have a 1080 in it; it 'only' had a GeForce
770. Which, again, is perfectly adequate for a machine of its age. I
mentioned the 1080 as a possible upgrade which would 'rank up' this PC
enough to allow it to play modern games. Even today, most games are
GPU bound far more than they are throttled by their CPU. Something
like Doom Eternal would probably max out the CPU of this computer, but
so long as you had a fast enough GPU, you probably wouldn't notice any
slow-downs.

The former did use the computer to play "Cyberpunk 2077", though. I
doubt it performed very well (perhaps that's why he - presumably -
upgraded to a new machine and discarded this one) but that he was
willing to even try showed that this PC still had some capability to
it.

But, yeah, I admit that I looked at prices of 1080s too. That these
five year-old devices are still fetching such premium prices is
outrageous, and all due to the nonsense that is crypto-currency
schemes. Even the 770 that came with this computer is going for
$300-400 USD new. It's ridiculous.

Anyway, I'm quite happy with my find, although I admit I don't
entirely trust my good fortune yet. I still half-believe there's some
problem - likely an intermittent short or some issue with the HDD -
that just hasn't shown up yet. Well, if it happens, I'll fix it. As
I've said, I've purchased used PCs that needed more maintenance - and
required me to shell out for some replacement parts - than this one
did. The fact that - at least for now - it's running after requiring
nothing more than a thorough cleansing is almost miraculous.

So keep your eyes open. If it happened to me, it could happen to you
too. There's likely a spare PC sitting on a curb somewhere nearby to
you just waiting for a loving owner to give it a new home. ;-)

Re: A Happy Find

<ssof3h$aps$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5993&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5993

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 09:15:29 +0000
 by: JAB - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 09:15 UTC

On 24/01/2022 21:41, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> This cube chassis is unusual; it's described as a "LAN Box", although
> I can't imagine anyone using this for a LAN over a rack-mount. It
> seems feature-built for gaming, with lots of room for the GPU(s). I'm
> not sure I prefer this form-factor over my beloved towers, but I admit
> it did make swapping and testing components very easy.

I presume they mean for a LAN party as it's relative easy to carry around.

Re: A Happy Find

<sspfh5$1c1b$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5995&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5995

From: rri...@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ross Ridge)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 18:28:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ross Ridge - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 18:28 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
>The PC is, unsurprisingly, not the newest; I date it back to 2015 or
>2016. Still, if it wasn't cutting edge back then, it was definitely a
>high-end machine for its era. Featuring a quad-core i5, 8GB of RAM and
>a GeForce 7700, it probably ran the games of 2015 quite well. Throw in
>another 8GB RAM and a GeForce 1080, and it can probably play pretty
>much any game today, although you'll likely have to reduce the visual
>quality somewhat.

Lucky. The best discarded PC I ever managed to had a Pentium II 233MHz
and a Riva TNT2 M64. It was probably also 5 or 6 years old at the time,
but it was would've bottom end when it was bought, and those were
years when Moore's Law still held, so it was complete junk at the time.
The owner also didn't wipe the hard drive, but I didn't look too close
at it. Just enough to see that he was too cheap to buy the copy of
Windows XP he somehow got running on it, and he liked to gamble on
illegal betting sites. From all the dust inside of the machine I could
also tell he liked to smoke.

I ended up using the RAM to upgrade one of my legacy PCs, put the CD
burner in another and kept CPU and video card as spares. The rest I
threw out, as it wasn't worth time and effort to clean it all.

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca

Re: A Happy Find

<b991vghdvv0e5vslk4ir8o9dbi3n67kk9g@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5999&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5999

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 20:38:46 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 01:38 UTC

On Tue, 25 Jan 2022 09:15:29 +0000, JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:
>On 24/01/2022 21:41, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>> This cube chassis is unusual; it's described as a "LAN Box", although
>I presume they mean for a LAN party as it's relative easy to carry around.

Trust me when I say it's not. ;-)

The thing is fairly heavy and pretty bulky. I can usually sling a
tower (well, most towers) beneath the arm, but this sucker required
both hands. Fortunately, it does come with two handles on either side;
on the other hand, the mesh/grill at the top is pretty fragile and if
you put anything heavy on top of it, it will pop off.

I mean, I suppose it could have been intended as a LAN Party machine;
it certainly has that sense of style to it. But I still think the
hot-swappable HDDs indicate its supposed to be more file-server than
portable gaming machine.

Re: A Happy Find

<bi91vglqbu1e07m50nj3005ihfv3f8nkar@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6000&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6000

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 20:47:24 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 01:47 UTC

On Tue, 25 Jan 2022 18:28:53 -0000 (UTC), rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
(Ross Ridge) wrote:

>Lucky. The best discarded PC I ever managed to had a Pentium II 233MHz
>and a Riva TNT2 M64. It was probably also 5 or 6 years old at the time,
>but it was would've bottom end when it was bought, and those were
>years when Moore's Law still held, so it was complete junk at the time.

<snip>

>I ended up using the RAM to upgrade one of my legacy PCs, put the CD
>burner in another and kept CPU and video card as spares. The rest I
>threw out, as it wasn't worth time and effort to clean it all.

I've found a number of abandoned PCs. Most of them aren't worth much
(there's a reason they're in the bin) but - like you - I sometimes
find some useful components. It's rare to find a custom machine like
this one, though; usually they are Dells or HPs or whatnot. Those are
rarely top-end machines even when they are new, and by the time they
get discarded, they're desperately out of date. Worse, too often they
use custom-built motherboards, power supplies and cases that only
really work with that particular model.

The reason this machine caught my eye was that I'm in the 'market' for
a PC case. It's long been my goal to build a Win9x-era PC, and I have
all the components I need... except for the chassis. I'd like
something small but eye-catching; this machine fit half those
requirements, anyway. It's too nice a computer to waste on Windows95,
though (if I could even get it to run such an old OS).

I'm half-way decided to go 'all ghetto' and make my own chassis out of
a cardboard box and duct-tape. I'd actually like one made of wood, but
- alas - I've no wood shop to manufacture one.

Well, I've spent several years collecting components for the Win9x
machine; there's no rush in getting its chassis. Eventually it will
all come together, I'm sure...

Re: A Happy Find

<sm05yq6yiz6.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6001&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6001

From: as...@sci.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 10:55:09 +0200
sha1:W8YOnOU68xJ/tcPzB4/+PT4Q1Fw=
 by: Anssi Saari - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 08:55 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> writes:

> I generally prefer towers myself; you can use them vertically or lay
> them down on their side, and they're usually easier to fit into odd
> spaces than other formats.

Likewise. As I'm currently shopping for a new case, I looked at Cooler
Master of course since I have one of their old high airflow tower cases,
HAF 912 plus to be exact. Big 200 mm fan in the front, 140 mm in the
back. It's never silent but the fans make a constant hum which is fine
and it seems there's enough airflow so the CPU and GPU fans don't try to
tear themselves to pieces keeping thing cool.

Looks like Cooler Master is going in a different direction now, at least
I didn't find interesting decent tower cases from them. I'll likely get
Fractal Design's Define 7 for maximum versatility and access.

Re: A Happy Find

<ssr5o5$hdk$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6002&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6002

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 09:54:12 +0000
 by: JAB - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 09:54 UTC

On 26/01/2022 01:38, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2022 09:15:29 +0000, JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:
>> On 24/01/2022 21:41, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>
>>> This cube chassis is unusual; it's described as a "LAN Box", although
>> I presume they mean for a LAN party as it's relative easy to carry around.
>
> Trust me when I say it's not. ;-)
>
> The thing is fairly heavy and pretty bulky. I can usually sling a
> tower (well, most towers) beneath the arm, but this sucker required
> both hands. Fortunately, it does come with two handles on either side;
> on the other hand, the mesh/grill at the top is pretty fragile and if
> you put anything heavy on top of it, it will pop off.
>
> I mean, I suppose it could have been intended as a LAN Party machine;
> it certainly has that sense of style to it. But I still think the
> hot-swappable HDDs indicate its supposed to be more file-server than
> portable gaming machine.

Possibly yes but it does seem a strange form factor/style for a file server.

Re: A Happy Find

<ssr5rf$hdk$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6003&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6003

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 09:55:58 +0000
 by: JAB - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 09:55 UTC

On 26/01/2022 08:55, Anssi Saari wrote:
> Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I generally prefer towers myself; you can use them vertically or lay
>> them down on their side, and they're usually easier to fit into odd
>> spaces than other formats.
>
> Likewise. As I'm currently shopping for a new case, I looked at Cooler
> Master of course since I have one of their old high airflow tower cases,
> HAF 912 plus to be exact. Big 200 mm fan in the front, 140 mm in the
> back. It's never silent but the fans make a constant hum which is fine
> and it seems there's enough airflow so the CPU and GPU fans don't try to
> tear themselves to pieces keeping thing cool.
>
> Looks like Cooler Master is going in a different direction now, at least
> I didn't find interesting decent tower cases from them. I'll likely get
> Fractal Design's Define 7 for maximum versatility and access.

The case and a floppy drive is the only original part of my tower still
left. I did think about getting a new one but then thought, well what's
the point a case is just a case.

Re: A Happy Find

<sm0sftawg4t.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6008&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6008

From: as...@sci.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 15:13:02 +0200
sha1:j25sat7q7FPGhdRD9GJ2ckajlPY=
 by: Anssi Saari - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 13:13 UTC

JAB <noway@co.uk> writes:

> The case and a floppy drive is the only original part of my tower
> still left. I did think about getting a new one but then thought, well
> what's the point a case is just a case.

Sure, that's why my case is about a decade old. But I intend to build my
new computer in the new case while the old one is still running. And
really, cases aren't expensive compared to most other computer parts.

On the other hand, the only thing I really need in a new case is USB 3
connectors which my old case doesn't have. I have a cheap front panel
thingy for those but they don't really perform, even at the old 5 Gbps
rate.

Re: A Happy Find

<sstmr4$soj$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6009&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6009

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 08:58:10 +0000
 by: JAB - Thu, 27 Jan 2022 08:58 UTC

On 26/01/2022 13:13, Anssi Saari wrote:
> JAB <noway@co.uk> writes:
>
>> The case and a floppy drive is the only original part of my tower
>> still left. I did think about getting a new one but then thought, well
>> what's the point a case is just a case.
>
> Sure, that's why my case is about a decade old. But I intend to build my
> new computer in the new case while the old one is still running. And
> really, cases aren't expensive compared to most other computer parts.
>
> On the other hand, the only thing I really need in a new case is USB 3
> connectors which my old case doesn't have. I have a cheap front panel
> thingy for those but they don't really perform, even at the old 5 Gbps
> rate.

I added some cheapo USB hub to my system and that pretty much does the
job as it's not something I use a lot nor do I need particularly good
performance out of it.

Re: A Happy Find

<0cn5vgh0o2kk0dpji12uo8984924qb5l9c@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6014&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6014

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 13:09:59 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 27 Jan 2022 18:09 UTC

On Wed, 26 Jan 2022 09:54:12 +0000, JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:

>On 26/01/2022 01:38, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>>> I presume they mean for a LAN party as it's relative easy to carry around.

>> Trust me when I say it's not. ;-)

>> I mean, I suppose it could have been intended as a LAN Party machine;
>> it certainly has that sense of style to it. But I still think the
>> hot-swappable HDDs indicate its supposed to be more file-server than
>> portable gaming machine.

>Possibly yes but it does seem a strange form factor/style for a file server.

I can't disagree there. And you may be right; it could very well be
intended as a LAN-party box. It certainly has that offbeat style to it
that would attract the eyes of other gamers at such an event. But if
the idea was that its form-factor (as opposed to its appearance) would
somehow make it more suitable for a LAN-party, the producers were way
off base. It's heavy, bulky and takes up a lot of desk/floor space.
Although it's open-from-the-top design does make it easy to swap
components, but is that really that important a consideration at a
LAN-party?

That's not to say it make any better a LAN server, and for pretty much
all the same reasons. Maybe its dimensions are just the right size to
fit in a rack (a 4U or 5U maybe? I should get out a measuring tape and
check). It is an awful waste of space using it that way, though.

More likely, the designers at Cooler Master created the case, said
"Hey, this looks neat, but what are we gonna call it?" and marketing
decided that it's a "LAN Box" despite its unsuitability for anything
LAN-related. Regardless, it is somewhat eye-catching (even if, as I
said, at first appearances it looks nothing more than a microwave
oven) and while it won't convince me to move away from my beloved
tower PCs, I'm happy enough to have this unusual exception added to my
collection.

Re: A Happy Find

<ssv0qj$rrn$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6018&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6018

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 20:54:42 +0000
 by: JAB - Thu, 27 Jan 2022 20:54 UTC

On 27/01/2022 18:09, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> More likely, the designers at Cooler Master created the case, said
> "Hey, this looks neat, but what are we gonna call it?" and marketing
> decided that it's a "LAN Box" despite its unsuitability for anything
> LAN-related. Regardless, it is somewhat eye-catching (even if, as I
> said, at first appearances it looks nothing more than a microwave
> oven) and while it won't convince me to move away from my beloved
> tower PCs, I'm happy enough to have this unusual exception added to my
> collection.

My top experiences that made me question your average person in marketing.

- Being asked to develop a feature in our product based solely on a
named, but not described, feature in a rival product. When I asked what
it actually was the answer, I don't know but I think we should have it.

- Another feature request, add an algorithm so that the new product is
compatible with an existing one. Someone had to explain that one is an
IP product and this one is a SONET product.

- Being harassed over the phone to change the estimates that the
engineering lead had put in for a feature update. I did try and explain
that as I didn't work on the project (someone who worked for me was
helping out on it) I'm not sure why they'd trust my answer to 'surely it
won't take that long will it?'

- Wanting to port a whole embedded app to Win CE on the grounds that the
thought it sounded good and it would mean we could add other apps to it.
The was a single function device with a UI of two LED's and a dial.

Re: A Happy Find

<ssvpu6$g82$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6019&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6019

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 20:03:21 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 04:03 UTC

On 1/27/2022 12:54 PM, JAB wrote:
> On 27/01/2022 18:09, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>> More likely, the designers at Cooler Master created the case, said
>> "Hey, this looks neat, but what are we gonna call it?" and marketing
>> decided that it's a "LAN Box" despite its unsuitability for anything
>> LAN-related. Regardless, it is somewhat eye-catching (even if, as I
>> said, at first appearances it looks nothing more than a microwave
>> oven) and while it won't convince me to move away from my beloved
>> tower PCs, I'm happy enough to have this unusual exception added to my
>> collection.
>>

> My top experiences that made me question your average person in marketing.
>
> - Being asked to develop a feature in our product based solely on a
> named, but not described, feature in a rival product. When I asked what
> it actually was the answer, I don't know but I think we should have it.
>
> - Another feature request, add an algorithm so that the new product is
> compatible with an existing one. Someone had to explain that one is an
> IP product and this one is a SONET product.
>
> - Being harassed over the phone to change the estimates that the
> engineering lead had put in for a feature update. I did try and explain
> that as I didn't work on the project (someone who worked for me was
> helping out on it) I'm not sure why they'd trust my answer to 'surely it
> won't take that long will it?'
>
> - Wanting to port a whole embedded app to Win CE on the grounds that the
> thought it sounded good and it would mean we could add other apps to it.
> The was a single function device with a UI of two LED's and a dial.

Salesmen are hired for their ability to shmooze. That's it. Having a
measurable IQ is detrimental to that.

dirty old man.

Re: A Happy Find

<st0c9v$i5l$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6020&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6020

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 09:16:46 +0000
 by: JAB - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 09:16 UTC

On 28/01/2022 04:03, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 1/27/2022 12:54 PM, JAB wrote:
>> On 27/01/2022 18:09, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>>> More likely, the designers at Cooler Master created the case, said
>>> "Hey, this looks neat, but what are we gonna call it?" and marketing
>>> decided that it's a "LAN Box" despite its unsuitability for anything
>>> LAN-related. Regardless, it is somewhat eye-catching (even if, as I
>>> said, at first appearances it looks nothing more than a microwave
>>> oven) and while it won't convince me to move away from my beloved
>>> tower PCs, I'm happy enough to have this unusual exception added to my
>>> collection.
>>>

>> My top experiences that made me question your average person in
>> marketing.
>>
>> - Being asked to develop a feature in our product based solely on a
>> named, but not described, feature in a rival product. When I asked
>> what it actually was the answer, I don't know but I think we should
>> have it.
>>
>> - Another feature request, add an algorithm so that the new product is
>> compatible with an existing one. Someone had to explain that one is an
>> IP product and this one is a SONET product.
>>
>> - Being harassed over the phone to change the estimates that the
>> engineering lead had put in for a feature update. I did try and
>> explain that as I didn't work on the project (someone who worked for
>> me was helping out on it) I'm not sure why they'd trust my answer to
>> 'surely it won't take that long will it?'
>>
>> - Wanting to port a whole embedded app to Win CE on the grounds that
>> the thought it sounded good and it would mean we could add other apps
>> to it. The was a single function device with a UI of two LED's and a
>> dial.
>
> Salesmen are hired for their ability to shmooze.  That's it.  Having a
> measurable IQ is detrimental to that.

I've done quite a lot of trips for meetings with customers and quite a
few of the sales and marketers where fine but you did get some that just
didn't understand the technology at all and probably the worse, didn't
understand development at all. I do remember when be told that should be
simple shouldn't it (for the umpteenth time) replying why don't you just
sell £10mil worth of kit, can't be that hard can it.

Re: A Happy Find

<uv68vgpu5581qlpmapir3n1ufopmuuu4d5@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6025&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6025

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 11:42:36 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 16:42 UTC

On Thu, 27 Jan 2022 20:54:42 +0000, JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:

>My top experiences that made me question your average person in marketing.

<snip>

>- Wanting to port a whole embedded app to Win CE on the grounds that the
>thought it sounded good and it would mean we could add other apps to it.
>The was a single function device with a UI of two LED's and a dial.

Well, this last one I can understand. You obviously need an OS with
some sort of programming API and a networking stack so you can better
monetize the device.

"Now with programmable LEDs so you can make them blink! Only an extra
$3,995 USD! And a date-feature so you can change the blink-rate of the
LEDs on Christmas! Only another $$2495 USD!"

After all, anyone who is /just/ making a device with only two LEDs and
a dial these days can't be /really/ serious about engineering. I mean,
haven't they heard about The Internet? ;-)

Re: A Happy Find

<sm0czkbws6b.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6033&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6033

From: as...@sci.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 21:56:12 +0200
sha1:1NbIFLt0B7SfMG2YozmEl3TJg/8=
 by: Anssi Saari - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 19:56 UTC

JAB <noway@co.uk> writes:

> My top experiences that made me question your average person in marketing.

I think Jack Tramiel of Commodore got it right when he said engineering
is marketing. Specifically, as I recall, it was when Commodore's
marketing didn't want Commodore to introduce a new computer to the
market when the VIC-20 turned out to be a surprise success. Tramiel
wanted to assure one of the design engineers that it's OK to go
ahead. That team went ahead and produced the wildly successful Commodore
64...