"In the fight between you and the world, back the world." -- Frank Zappa

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Kaspersky

SubjectAuthor
* Re: KasperskyFokke Nauta
+* Re: KasperskyFokke Nauta
|+- Re: KasperskyT
|`- Re: KasperskyFokke Nauta
+- Re: KasperskyT
+* Re: KasperskyFokke Nauta
|+- Re: Kasperskymechanic
|+* Re: KasperskyEd Cryer
||`- Re: Kasperskysticks
|`* Re: KasperskyFokke Nauta
| `- Re: Kasperskymechanic
+- Re: KasperskyKen Blake
`* Re: KasperskyStan Brown
 `* Re: KasperskyStan Brown
  `* Re: KasperskyFokke Nauta
   `* Re: KasperskyJ. P. Gilliver (John)
    `- Re: KasperskyPaul

1
Re: Kaspersky

<j7sjepFlumiU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59885&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59885

From: use...@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Kaspersky
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 18:51:59 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 17:51 UTC

On 25/02/2022 17:37, Optimist wrote:
> In view of the current international situation, should users of Kaspersky security software switch
> to alternatives?

Well, I don't think so.
What happens now is really horrible and awful. Putin is an idiot and
Russia is now a shit country. But Kaspersky is a good product.
I see that Kaspersky and the Russian invasion are completely different
issues. I use Kaspersky for many years on all of our pc's here and I'm
happy with it. The Kaspersky company can't be blamed for what the
Russian politics are doing now. It's a completely different area.

Fokke Nauta

Re: Kaspersky

<j7sjo6Fm0bmU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59886&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59886

From: use...@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 18:56:59 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 17:56 UTC

On 25/02/2022 18:51, Fokke Nauta wrote:
> On 25/02/2022 17:37, Optimist wrote:
>> In view of the current international situation, should users of
>> Kaspersky security software switch
>> to alternatives?
>

> Well, I don't think so.
> What happens now is really horrible and awful. Putin is an idiot and
> Russia is now a shit country. But Kaspersky is a good product.
> I see that Kaspersky and the Russian invasion are completely different
> issues. I use Kaspersky for many years on all of our pc's here and I'm
> happy with it. The Kaspersky company can't be blamed for what the
> Russian politics are doing now. It's a completely different area.
>
> Fokke Nauta

However,

Avira and Bitdefender are OK as well. If you want to stop with
Kaspersky, these seem to be a good alternative.

Fokke

Re: Kaspersky

<svb62p$2r5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59888&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59888

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 10:10:32 -0800
 by: T - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 18:10 UTC

On 2/25/22 09:56, Fokke Nauta wrote:
> On 25/02/2022 18:51, Fokke Nauta wrote:
>> On 25/02/2022 17:37, Optimist wrote:
>>> In view of the current international situation, should users of
>>> Kaspersky security software switch
>>> to alternatives?
>>

>> Well, I don't think so.
>> What happens now is really horrible and awful. Putin is an idiot and
>> Russia is now a shit country. But Kaspersky is a good product.
>> I see that Kaspersky and the Russian invasion are completely different
>> issues. I use Kaspersky for many years on all of our pc's here and I'm
>> happy with it. The Kaspersky company can't be blamed for what the
>> Russian politics are doing now. It's a completely different area.
>>
>> Fokke Nauta
>
> However,
>
> Avira and Bitdefender are OK as well. If you want to stop with
> Kaspersky, these seem to be a good alternative.
>
> Fokke

I think at this point, I would be careful of
Kaspersky. Russia has started to back slide
back into authoritarianism and I don't see any
software being immune.

Anyone with a government contract in the USA had
to ditch Kaspersky. I switched my customers over
to ESET.

Most other AV, except Norton and McAfee,
are good. ESET is just easier for me to sell.
I also like the small footprint. It does not
slow your down a noticeable amount. Their
cyborg logo is a bit creepy though.

To get a good AV list, see:

https://www.av-comparatives.org

Customers that give me crap about paid AV software, I
just leave on M$'s built in stuff. It is not that
bad anymore (not real good either, but it will do).
Most other free AV's spy on your ass.

Re: Kaspersky

<j7slpoFmc7mU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59889&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59889

From: use...@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 19:31:57 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 18:31 UTC

On 25/02/2022 18:56, Fokke Nauta wrote:
> On 25/02/2022 18:51, Fokke Nauta wrote:
>> On 25/02/2022 17:37, Optimist wrote:
>>> In view of the current international situation, should users of
>>> Kaspersky security software switch
>>> to alternatives?
>>

>> Well, I don't think so.
>> What happens now is really horrible and awful. Putin is an idiot and
>> Russia is now a shit country. But Kaspersky is a good product.
>> I see that Kaspersky and the Russian invasion are completely different
>> issues. I use Kaspersky for many years on all of our pc's here and I'm
>> happy with it. The Kaspersky company can't be blamed for what the
>> Russian politics are doing now. It's a completely different area.
>>
>> Fokke Nauta
>
> However,
>
> Avira and Bitdefender are OK as well. If you want to stop with
> Kaspersky, these seem to be a good alternative.
>
> Fokke

Well,

After a discussion with my wife, and after 36 days left on our Kaspersky
subscription, we decided to go to Bitdefender. So no more Kaspersky.

Fokke

Re: Kaspersky

<svclvs$df6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59903&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59903

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 23:48:11 -0800
 by: T - Sat, 26 Feb 2022 07:48 UTC

On 2/25/22 23:33, Optimist wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2022 18:51:59 +0100, Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote:
>
>> On 25/02/2022 17:37, Optimist wrote:
>>> In view of the current international situation, should users of Kaspersky security software switch
>>> to alternatives?
>>

>> Well, I don't think so.
>> What happens now is really horrible and awful. Putin is an idiot and
>> Russia is now a shit country. But Kaspersky is a good product.
>> I see that Kaspersky and the Russian invasion are completely different
>> issues. I use Kaspersky for many years on all of our pc's here and I'm
>> happy with it. The Kaspersky company can't be blamed for what the
>> Russian politics are doing now. It's a completely different area.
>>
>> Fokke Nauta
>
> I agree Kaspersky is a good product - that's why I use it. My concern is that Putin might take over
> the company (AFAIK still based in Russia) and use it to spread malware throughout the world.

1+

Re: Kaspersky

<j7u7mrFt3oU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59904&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59904

From: use...@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 09:43:42 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Sat, 26 Feb 2022 08:43 UTC

On 26/02/2022 08:33, Optimist wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2022 18:51:59 +0100, Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote:
>
>> On 25/02/2022 17:37, Optimist wrote:
>>> In view of the current international situation, should users of Kaspersky security software switch
>>> to alternatives?
>>

>> Well, I don't think so.
>> What happens now is really horrible and awful. Putin is an idiot and
>> Russia is now a shit country. But Kaspersky is a good product.
>> I see that Kaspersky and the Russian invasion are completely different
>> issues. I use Kaspersky for many years on all of our pc's here and I'm
>> happy with it. The Kaspersky company can't be blamed for what the
>> Russian politics are doing now. It's a completely different area.
>>
>> Fokke Nauta
>
> I agree Kaspersky is a good product - that's why I use it. My concern is that Putin might take over
> the company (AFAIK still based in Russia) and use it to spread malware throughout the world.

Kaspersky is based in Russia. But it is an independent company. Unlikely
that Putin will have influence on it.

Fokke

Re: Kaspersky

<zq3ugxf6k0h8$.dlg@example1357.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59909&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59909

From: mecha...@example.net (mechanic)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 11:50:25 +0000
 by: mechanic - Sat, 26 Feb 2022 11:50 UTC

On Sat, 26 Feb 2022 09:43:42 +0100, Fokke Nauta wrote:

> Kaspersky is based in Russia. But it is an independent company.
> Unlikely that Putin will have influence on it.

What? Meanwhile, in the real world,...

Re: Kaspersky

<svd46l$o66$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59910&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59910

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 11:50:26 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Sat, 26 Feb 2022 11:50 UTC

Optimist wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2022 09:43:42 +0100, Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote:

>>> I agree Kaspersky is a good product - that's why I use it. My concern is that Putin might take over
>>> the company (AFAIK still based in Russia) and use it to spread malware throughout the world.
>>
>> Kaspersky is based in Russia. But it is an independent company. Unlikely
>> that Putin will have influence on it.
>>
>> Fokke
>
> What an extraordinary assertion.

Incredible! Putin can make war on a whole country but can't "advise" the
Kaspersky co?

Ed

Re: Kaspersky

<svddji$h5l$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59915&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59915

From: wolverin...@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 08:31:21 -0600
 by: sticks - Sat, 26 Feb 2022 14:31 UTC

On 2/26/2022 5:50 AM, Ed Cryer wrote:
> Optimist wrote:

>>> Kaspersky is based in Russia. But it is an independent company. Unlikely
>>> that Putin will have influence on it.
>>>
>>> Fokke
>>
>> What an extraordinary assertion.
>
> Incredible! Putin can make war on a whole country but can't "advise" the
> Kaspersky co?
>
> Ed

Evidently, he's never heard of Mikhail Khodorkovsky and his oil company.
He was only the richest man in Russia. A little software company is
much more intimidating.

Re: Kaspersky

<14kk1hpnpjod1ts2v5eqcomgsn87nku7cj@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59919&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59919

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 09:09:59 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 26 Feb 2022 16:09 UTC

On Sat, 26 Feb 2022 07:33:48 +0000, Optimist
<curmudgeon@mailinator.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Feb 2022 18:51:59 +0100, Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote:
>
>>On 25/02/2022 17:37, Optimist wrote:
>>> In view of the current international situation, should users of Kaspersky security software switch
>>> to alternatives?
>>

>>Well, I don't think so.
>>What happens now is really horrible and awful. Putin is an idiot and
>>Russia is now a shit country. But Kaspersky is a good product.
>>I see that Kaspersky and the Russian invasion are completely different
>>issues. I use Kaspersky for many years on all of our pc's here and I'm
>>happy with it. The Kaspersky company can't be blamed for what the
>>Russian politics are doing now. It's a completely different area.
>>
>>Fokke Nauta
>
>I agree Kaspersky is a good product - that's why I use it. My concern is that Putin might take over
>the company (AFAIK still based in Russia) and use it to spread malware throughout the world.

I used to use Kaspersky, and I agree that it's a good product. But I
switched to Defender, since it is (nearly?) just as good, and is free.

Re: Kaspersky

<MPG.3c83f6106047301998fec2@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59921&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59921

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 08:32:54 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Sat, 26 Feb 2022 16:32 UTC

On Sat, 26 Feb 2022 07:33:48 +0000, Optimist wrote:
> I agree Kaspersky is a good product - that's why I use it. My
> concern is that Putin might take over
> the company (AFAIK still based in Russia) and use it to spread
> malware throughout the world.

I've wondered about that too. This Wikipedia mentions a couple of
incidents but doesn't follow up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaspersky_Anti-
Virus#Criticisms_and_controversies

A PC Magazine review from a year and a half ago says "We are aware of
the allegations of Kaspersky Labs' inappropriate ties to the Russian
government. Until we see some actual proof of these allegations, we
will treat them as unproven, and continue to recommend Kaspersky's
security products as long as their performance continues to merit our
endorsement."
https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/kaspersky-anti-virus

Tom's Guide (January 2021) says "Allegations that Kaspersky is an arm
of the Russian intelligence services have quieted since 2018. None of
the claims have been proven and we have yet to see convincing
evidence of backdoors or intentional security holes in Kaspersky
products. Although Kaspersky's headquarters are still in Moscow, it
has moved some online infrastructure to Switzerland."
https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/kaspersky

There are plenty of other sites that say the same thing, but I've
never heard most of them so I cherry-picked two that I trust.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Kaspersky

<MPG.3c83f9692d4eecd698fec3@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59922&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59922

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 08:47:07 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Sat, 26 Feb 2022 16:47 UTC

On Sat, 26 Feb 2022 08:32:54 -0800, Stan Brown wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Feb 2022 07:33:48 +0000, Optimist wrote:
> > I agree Kaspersky is a good product - that's why I use it. My
> > concern is that Putin might take over
> > the company (AFAIK still based in Russia) and use it to spread
> > malware throughout the world.
>
> I've wondered about that too.
> [Two reliable reviews saying it was safe, snipped.]

On the other hand, there's this article today in the New York Times:

"Russia Intensifies Censorship Campaign, Pressuring Tech Giants

"Google, Apple and others were warned that they must comply with a
new law, which would make them more vulnerable to the Kremlin?s
censorship demands."

"As Russia attacks Ukraine, the authorities in Moscow are
intensifying a censorship campaign at home by squeezing some of the
world?s biggest tech companies."

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/26/technology/russia-censorship-
tech.html

If the Kremlin can squeeze Apple and Google, it can do whatever it
wants to Kaspersky. Kaspersky may not have had malware last year or
last week, but can we really be sure it doesn't have it today, or
won't next week or next month?

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Kaspersky

<j7v7l9F6rk9U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59924&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59924

From: use...@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 18:49:01 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Sat, 26 Feb 2022 17:49 UTC

On 26/02/2022 17:47, Stan Brown wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2022 08:32:54 -0800, Stan Brown wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 26 Feb 2022 07:33:48 +0000, Optimist wrote:
>>> I agree Kaspersky is a good product - that's why I use it. My
>>> concern is that Putin might take over
>>> the company (AFAIK still based in Russia) and use it to spread
>>> malware throughout the world.
>>
>> I've wondered about that too.
>> [Two reliable reviews saying it was safe, snipped.]
>
> On the other hand, there's this article today in the New York Times:
>
> "Russia Intensifies Censorship Campaign, Pressuring Tech Giants
>
> "Google, Apple and others were warned that they must comply with a
> new law, which would make them more vulnerable to the Kremlin?s
> censorship demands."
>
> "As Russia attacks Ukraine, the authorities in Moscow are
> intensifying a censorship campaign at home by squeezing some of the
> world?s biggest tech companies."
>
> https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/26/technology/russia-censorship-
> tech.html
>
> If the Kremlin can squeeze Apple and Google, it can do whatever it
> wants to Kaspersky. Kaspersky may not have had malware last year or
> last week, but can we really be sure it doesn't have it today, or
> won't next week or next month?

The Kremlin can squeeze everything in Russia, but I don't think that
Kaspersky will contain malware all of a sudden. I can't believe that.

Fokke

Re: Kaspersky

<j7v7onF6rk9U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59925&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59925

From: use...@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 18:50:51 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Sat, 26 Feb 2022 17:50 UTC

On 26/02/2022 11:48, Optimist wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2022 09:43:42 +0100, Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote:

>>> I agree Kaspersky is a good product - that's why I use it. My concern is that Putin might take over
>>> the company (AFAIK still based in Russia) and use it to spread malware throughout the world.
>>
>> Kaspersky is based in Russia. But it is an independent company. Unlikely
>> that Putin will have influence on it.
>>
>> Fokke
>
> What an extraordinary assertion.

No, it's not.
Do you really think that Kaspersky software will contain malware all of
a sudden? I don't.

Fokke

Re: Kaspersky

<e9i5ml7lakh1$.dlg@example1357.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59946&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59946

From: mecha...@example.net (mechanic)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 11:44:25 +0000
 by: mechanic - Sun, 27 Feb 2022 11:44 UTC

On Sat, 26 Feb 2022 18:50:51 +0100, Fokke Nauta wrote:

> On 26/02/2022 11:48, Optimist wrote:
>> On Sat, 26 Feb 2022 09:43:42 +0100, Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote:

>>> Kaspersky is based in Russia. But it is an independent company. Unlikely
>>> that Putin will have influence on it.
>>>
>>> Fokke
>>
>> What an extraordinary assertion.
>
> No, it's not.
> Do you really think that Kaspersky software will contain malware all of
> a sudden? I don't.

How often do you get updates to download? Check them carefully for
malware.

Re: Kaspersky

<aCtGnxNC32GiFwAw@a.a>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59948&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59948

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 12:25:38 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Sun, 27 Feb 2022 12:25 UTC

On Sat, 26 Feb 2022 at 18:49:01, Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote
(my responses usually FOLLOW):
[]
>The Kremlin can squeeze everything in Russia

Agreed.

>, but I don't think that Kaspersky will contain malware all of a
>sudden. I can't believe that.
>
>Fokke

The very lowest level would be that it no longer protects against some
existing malware that could be used against users. That would not
require anything to be _added_ to the product, only the _removal_ of
something from the virus database (or whatever it's called).

(I know nothing of the ins and outs, nor even much about how AV software
even works. I've never used Kaspersky, but in general it seems to have a
fairly good reputation - but that doesn't mean it couldn't have pressure
applied, sadly. Though if it's now partly in Switzerland, as another has
said, perhaps less so; depends on whether the Swiss staff have e. g
family in Russia.)

Don't play "stupid" with me... I'm better at it.

Re: Kaspersky

<svgdg9$dhq$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59953&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59953

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 12:47:54 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 27 Feb 2022 17:47 UTC

On 2/27/2022 7:25 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2022 at 18:49:01, Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
> []
>> The Kremlin can squeeze everything in Russia
>
> Agreed.
>
>> , but I don't think that Kaspersky will contain malware all of a sudden. I can't believe that.
>>
>> Fokke
>
> The very lowest level would be that it no longer protects against some existing malware that
> could be used against users. That would not require anything to be _added_ to the product,
> only the _removal_ of something from the virus database (or whatever it's called).
>
> (I know nothing of the ins and outs, nor even much about how AV software even works.
> I've never used Kaspersky, but in general it seems to have a fairly good reputation - but
> that doesn't mean it couldn't have pressure applied, sadly. Though if it's now partly in
> Switzerland, as another has said, perhaps less so; depends on whether the Swiss staff
> have e. g family in Russia.)

https://www.pcworld.com/article/411519/https-scanning-in-kaspersky-antivirus-exposed-users-to-mitm-attacks.html

When you install any AV product, it adds an attack surface to your PC.

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

The person running AV-comparatives might catch such a situation. The
modification of a database. It's also possible that the 50+ companies
run their own virustotal design, for the purposes of comparison shopping.

I'm sure there's the right degree of "trust but verify" in the industry,
no matter who makes an AV.

The scum and villainy at the bottom end of virustotal, shows you that the
entire spectrum of possibility exists. A person could throw out their Kaspersky,
and replace it one of the tools that can't detect anything (placebo AV :-) ).
Some of the "AV" products don't even have complete sets of unpackers,
let alone decent technique. (You know, all those packers that Paul
doesn't have a clue what they are... :-) )

*******

By the way, to add some levity to the proceedings,
I used Bitdefender CD offline scanner a week ago :-)

Now, anyone who has tried to do that, has probably
had trouble getting the Linux desktop to appear, that
the CD has onboard. I have a couple of the Bitdefender CDs
and they both have the same problem. (The problem is, the Xorg in
there is set to use modesetting, and your video card and environment
may not have the modesetting they had in mind - they don't have
any fallback capability. This is what happens when you're laser
focused on saving download bytes, and don't keep your clue cap on
your head. It they'd left a Nouveau or an AMDGPU in there, you
might never have noticed.)

But what you can do, is run XMing (Xserver for XWindows sessions)
on a second PC. On the PC, set XLauncher to do a whole desktop
window, switching off Xauth or similar (unprotected connections enabled).

On the Bitdefender side, start the text session (userid=livecd, password=<cr>)

DISPLAY=192.168.0.2:0 # Address of the destination PC, display #0, via port 6000
export DISPLAY # Inherit in any later shells

bdgui # Bitdefender program window should appear on the other PC

Run as usual. It should pull in definition updates before scanning.

You have to crawl before you can walk... or so I've heard.
Do we live in a great ecosystem, or what ?

Paul