From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc
Subject: [RUMOUR] Apple AR headset coming in late 2022
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 18:30:46 +1300
 by: Your Name - Fri, 26 Nov 2021 05:30 UTC

I don't know what illegal substances Ming-Chi Kuo and Apple are
smoking/drinking/snorting/injecting if they stupidly believe anybody is
going to replace their (relatively) small mobile phone to walk around
wearing a cumbersome headset (even in 10 years from now). :-\

From MacRumors.com ...

Kuo: Apple AR Headset Coming in Late 2022 With Mac-Level Computing Power
Apple's long-rumored augmented reality (AR) headset project is set to
bear its first fruit late next year with the launch of the first device
carrying a pair of processors to support its high-end capabilities,
according to a new research report from noted analyst Ming-Chi Kuo seen
by MacRumors.

According to Kuo, the higher-end main processor is said to be similar
to the M1 chip Apple introduced for its first set of Apple silicon Macs
last year, while a lower-end processor will manage the sensor-related
aspects of the device.

Kuo says the initial AR headset will be able to operate independently
without needing to be tethered to a Mac or iPhone, and Apple is
intending it to support a "comprehensive range of applications" with an
eye toward replacing the ‌iPhone‌ within ten years.

"We predict that Apple's AR headset to be launched in 4Q22
will be equipped with two processors. The higher-end processor
will have similar computing power as the M1 for Mac, whereas
the lower-end processor will be in charge of sensor-related
computing.

The power management unit (PMU) design of the high-end
processor is similar to that of M1 because it has the same
level of computing power as M1.

In addition to AR, Kuo says the headset will also be able to support
virtual reality (VR) experiences thanks to a pair of 4K Micro OLED
displays from Sony, which require the computing horsepower of an
M1-like chip.

"Apple's AR headset requires a separate processor as the
computing power of the sensor is significantly higher than
that of the iPhone. For example, the AR headset requires at
least 6-8 optical modules to simultaneously provide
continuous video see-through AR services to users. In
comparison, an iPhone requires up to 3 optical modules
running simultaneously and does not require continuous
computing.

Last week, Kuo said that both the upcoming headset and the iPhone 14
coming next year will support Wi-Fi 6E technology, which offers the
increased bandwidth and lower interference needed for AR and VR
experiences.

<https://www.macrumors.com/2021/11/25/kuo-apple-ar-headset-mac-level-computing/>

Re: [RUMOUR] Apple AR headset coming in late 2022

<j0d171F9l8vU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=599&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#599

From: nos...@lisse.NA (Dr Eberhard W Lisse)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc
Subject: Re: [RUMOUR] Apple AR headset coming in late 2022
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 23:17:19 +0200
 by: Dr Eberhard W Lisse - Fri, 26 Nov 2021 21:17 UTC

Probably the same stuff they were consuming when they introduced the
iPod, the iPhone, the iPad, the iMac, the MacBook, the M1 processor.

Prototypes tend to be bulky, productions models tend to be refined.

I for one am really, really keen on an affordable AR headset that one
can wire to a Laparoscopy/Hysteroscopy camera, preferably via the
Raspberry PI that they are working on at the University of Cape Town for
Cystoscopy.

If it's bulky, no prob, but one will probably still see be able to see
the assistant and the OR staff, so the looks don't matter, really.

el

On 2021-11-26 07:30 , Your Name wrote:

> I don't know what illegal substances Ming-Chi Kuo and Apple are
> smoking/drinking/snorting/injecting if they stupidly believe anybody
> is going to replace their (relatively) small mobile phone to walk
> around wearing a cumbersome headset (even in 10 years from now). :-\
[...]