From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Any suggestions for a good old-fashioned detective type game?
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 11:33:08 +0000
 by: JAB - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 11:33 UTC

One that kinda fits the bill is Overboard. It's a point-and-click
adventure but based on a ship where you get to choose which location to
go to. You not the detective, in fact you're the murderer and after
killing your husband the clock is ticking to ensure you cover your
tracks before reaching port. The slight difference is that it's designed
so you use the knowledge you gained from each play-though (a couple of
hours tops) to unlock the puzzle.

Rather fun although it's a bit expensive on the PC (£10) compared to the
iPad (£5). I also think it's a game that's better suited to the iPad as
I like to put half-an-hour in here and there when I'm out and about.

Re: Any suggestions for a good old-fashioned detective type game?

<sso834$4io$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5990&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5990

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 08:15:48 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 07:15 UTC

Am 25.01.22 um 04:58 schrieb PW:

> I have it! I think I bought it when it was $5 or so. I guess I might
> as well boot it up!

If you want to go really old school, then play the Gabriel Knight
series, not sure however whether you like
part 3. I played it and the puzzles after a certain stage shot over the
top, they were impossible to solve without a walkthrough, I enjoyed the
story and setting however tremendously.

Re: Any suggestions for a good old-fashioned detective type game?

<ssrdtv$a1p$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6005&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6005

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 13:13:51 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 12:13 UTC

Am 26.01.22 um 01:51 schrieb PW:

> *--
>
> My wife and I absolutley loved The Beast Within when it came out. And
> yes, even way back then we were looking at walkthroughs for it.
>
> I think I have it and maybe one or two others in GOG.
>
> -pw
The beast within was comparatively easy, i finished it myself back then,
but GK3 with its map puzzles was another dimension...

Re: Any suggestions for a good old-fashioned detective type game?

<ssre23$a1p$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6006&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6006

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 13:16:03 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 12:16 UTC

Am 26.01.22 um 01:57 schrieb PW:

> My wife and I are now playing The Dark Picures: The Man of Medan and
> are enjoying it. We liked Little Hope a lot. Yeah, it's really a
> walking adventure game, and gorey, but it is sort of a mystery type
> game. Even though we have no idea how to play these games. We both
> have no idea what all the character building and relationship stuff is
> all about. We always ignore it and get yelled at by the narrator.
>
> So far we enabled 3 out of 4 characters to die from making mistakes. I
> don't even think we are 1/2 way through the game. I do not see what
> the bad decisions we made made a difference but it's that type of game
> I guess. Although I have seen walk-throughs on how to finish the Lost
> Hope one with all four characters alive. Got me!
>
> -pw

If its like Until Dawn then you basically need just to get as many
characters through the story as possible, the usual way is either by
puzzles quicktime action sequences or simple decisions.
The puzzles in Until Dawn were afair relatively on the easy side.