That wouldn't be good enough. -- Larry Wall in <199710131621.JAA14907@wall.org>

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: VTM: Bloodlines Unofficial Patch v11.0

SubjectAuthor
* VTM: Bloodlines Unofficial Patch v11.0Spalls Hurgenson
+- Re: VTM: Bloodlines Unofficial Patch v11.0Werner P.
+* Re: VTM: Bloodlines Unofficial Patch v11.0JAB
|`* Re: VTM: Bloodlines Unofficial Patch v11.0Mark P. Nelson
| `- Re: VTM: Bloodlines Unofficial Patch v11.0JAB
+- Re: VTM: Bloodlines Unofficial Patch v11.0Justisaur
`- Re: VTM: Bloodlines Unofficial Patch v11.0Justisaur

1
VTM: Bloodlines Unofficial Patch v11.0

<giauugtftgvcohugbobfhqrkam0s4th9h5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5985&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5985

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: VTM: Bloodlines Unofficial Patch v11.0
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 17:47:40 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 22:47 UTC

The latest version of the unofficial patch for Vampire the Masquerade:
Bloodlines has been released:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/vtmb-unofficial-patch

Not that I actually like VTM: Bloodlines; the game never appealed all
that much to me, largely because I don't care much for modern
interpretations of the vampire mythos. And, honestly, I can't imagine
many people in this newsgroup really care about the release of this
patch either.

Still, I love how fans of the game - originally released way back in
2004 - are still keeping VTM:Bloodlines alive and improving it over
all these years. I can appreciate that sort of dedication to a beloved
hobby and I think it deserves notice. It's the sort of heart that's
missing from so many games, which are too often seen as disposable by
both their publishers and customers. You don't see many people
dedicating that much of their lives to keeping "Call of Duty 2" or
"Medal of Honor Pacific Assault" up to date...

Wasn't somebody in c.s.i.p.g.action once a part of the group behind
the patch?

Re: VTM: Bloodlines Unofficial Patch v11.0

<sso7ra$4io$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5988&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5988

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: VTM: Bloodlines Unofficial Patch v11.0
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 08:11:37 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 07:11 UTC

Am 24.01.22 um 23:47 schrieb Spalls Hurgenson:
> Not that I actually like VTM: Bloodlines; the game never appealed all
> that much to me, largely because I don't care much for modern
> interpretations of the vampire mythos. And, honestly, I can't imagine
> many people in this newsgroup really care about the release of this
> patch either.
The game has become sort of a cult game, it was clearly released
unfinished like so many of the games from Troika and fans have been
patching it up ever since. It apparently has a very strong and loyal
followers group.

I really have to revisit it one day.

The game is very similar in its development cycle to Gothic 3, which had
potential but went out into the stores in a miserable state where the
studio definitely wanted to do more than what they could carry and being
plaqued with a publisher running out of money who forced the game in an
unfinished state into the market, fans have been patching the game up
post release to a very playable state.

Re: VTM: Bloodlines Unofficial Patch v11.0

<sso7us$4io$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5989&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5989

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 08:13:32 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 07:13 UTC

Am 25.01.22 um 04:50 schrieb PW:
> Unbelievable how it still keeps going and going! Wasn't there talk
> about a new version coming out sometime?
Yes they seemed to have run into serious problems during development and
basically have restarted from scratch, there was nothing more than an E3
demo video so far.
Not sure what the status is, some games never see the light of day.
There have been two new games in the same "universe" but both are more
or less visual novels, which are cheap to make.

Re: VTM: Bloodlines Unofficial Patch v11.0

<ssoevm$aps$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5992&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5992

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 09:13:26 +0000
 by: JAB - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 09:13 UTC

On 24/01/2022 22:47, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> The latest version of the unofficial patch for Vampire the Masquerade:
> Bloodlines has been released:
> https://www.moddb.com/mods/vtmb-unofficial-patch
>
> Not that I actually like VTM: Bloodlines; the game never appealed all
> that much to me, largely because I don't care much for modern
> interpretations of the vampire mythos. And, honestly, I can't imagine
> many people in this newsgroup really care about the release of this
> patch either.
>
> Still, I love how fans of the game - originally released way back in
> 2004 - are still keeping VTM:Bloodlines alive and improving it over
> all these years. I can appreciate that sort of dedication to a beloved
> hobby and I think it deserves notice. It's the sort of heart that's
> missing from so many games, which are too often seen as disposable by
> both their publishers and customers. You don't see many people
> dedicating that much of their lives to keeping "Call of Duty 2" or
> "Medal of Honor Pacific Assault" up to date...
>
> Wasn't somebody in c.s.i.p.g.action once a part of the group behind
> the patch?

Wasn't it Werner Spahl who was part of the group?

Re: VTM: Bloodlines Unofficial Patch v11.0

<XnsAE2A6F454D685mpndisorg@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5996&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5996

From: markpnel...@sbcglobal.net (Mark P. Nelson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 18:56:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark P. Nelson - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 18:56 UTC

JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote in news:ssoevm$aps$1@dont-email.me:

> Wasn't it Werner Spahl who was part of the group?

Werner Spahl has been most of the group since he started work on it way back.

Mark.

--
Clotho, Lachesis, Atropos -- the only sysadmins that matter

Re: VTM: Bloodlines Unofficial Patch v11.0

<2408f866-f84e-4fbe-8b84-dfe0e2b4624cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5997&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5997

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 11:24:09 -0800 (PST)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 19:24 UTC

On Monday, January 24, 2022 at 2:47:52 PM UTC-8, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> The latest version of the unofficial patch for Vampire the Masquerade:
> Bloodlines has been released:
> https://www.moddb.com/mods/vtmb-unofficial-patch
>
> Not that I actually like VTM: Bloodlines; the game never appealed all
> that much to me, largely because I don't care much for modern
> interpretations of the vampire mythos. And, honestly, I can't imagine
> many people in this newsgroup really care about the release of this
> patch either.
>
> Still, I love how fans of the game - originally released way back in
> 2004 - are still keeping VTM:Bloodlines alive and improving it over
> all these years. I can appreciate that sort of dedication to a beloved
> hobby and I think it deserves notice. It's the sort of heart that's
> missing from so many games, which are too often seen as disposable by
> both their publishers and customers. You don't see many people
> dedicating that much of their lives to keeping "Call of Duty 2" or
> "Medal of Honor Pacific Assault" up to date...
>
> Wasn't somebody in c.s.i.p.g.action once a part of the group behind
> the patch?

Werner used to post notices on his updates on c.s.i.p.g.rpg. I thought all
the work on the patch was long done though. I keep meaning to replay
it as I played it some time before that last update. Loved the game
myself. But yeah it was a nearly unplayable mess without the unofficial
patch.

I was never into the VtM tabletop when it was popular, the people that
played it around here made me uncomfortable. They seemed a bit too
into it, and were cosplaying for lack of a better terms even when not
playing the game.

- Justisaur

Re: VTM: Bloodlines Unofficial Patch v11.0

<ssr5vd$hdk$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6004&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6004

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 09:58:03 +0000
 by: JAB - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 09:58 UTC

On 25/01/2022 18:56, Mark P. Nelson wrote:
> JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote in news:ssoevm$aps$1@dont-email.me:
>
>> Wasn't it Werner Spahl who was part of the group?
>
> Werner Spahl has been most of the group since he started work on it way back.

Sorry, when I said the group I meant this NG not the group who created
the mod.

Re: VTM: Bloodlines Unofficial Patch v11.0

<addbe9d1-dc1b-44e7-aa93-15c326baebeen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6007&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6007

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 07:28:01 -0800 (PST)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 15:28 UTC

On Tuesday, January 25, 2022 at 4:31:37 PM UTC-8, PW wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2022 17:47:40 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
> <spallsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >The latest version of the unofficial patch for Vampire the Masquerade:
> >Bloodlines has been released:
> >https://www.moddb.com/mods/vtmb-unofficial-patch
> >
> >Not that I actually like VTM: Bloodlines; the game never appealed all
> >that much to me, largely because I don't care much for modern
> >interpretations of the vampire mythos. And, honestly, I can't imagine
> >many people in this newsgroup really care about the release of this
> >patch either.
> >
> >Still, I love how fans of the game - originally released way back in
> >2004 - are still keeping VTM:Bloodlines alive and improving it over
> >all these years. I can appreciate that sort of dedication to a beloved
> >hobby and I think it deserves notice. It's the sort of heart that's
> >missing from so many games, which are too often seen as disposable by
> >both their publishers and customers. You don't see many people
> >dedicating that much of their lives to keeping "Call of Duty 2" or
> >"Medal of Honor Pacific Assault" up to date...
> >
> >Wasn't somebody in c.s.i.p.g.action once a part of the group behind
> >the patch?
> >
> *--
>
> I guess this is a coincedence. The latest US PC Gamer(March 2022)
> features the game under their ReInstall column.
>
> Now I guess I might as well do that to it. I purchased it years ago.
>
> Might as well join the bandwagon again!
>
> I wonder if it includes the latest patch. It is Steam so I suppose
> so.

No, because the patch is unofficial, which Steam (almost?) never includes.
Just like a mod. The game is a (nearly?*) unplayable mess without it.

One point for GoG, since they do include it, and often include unofficial
fixes and even launchers etc. that are required to get games to work on
newer PCs.

It's one of those things I've noticed in a lot of otherwise really good
innovative games, full of bugs. It's well worth the effort to fix it for
this one. At least in my opinion. YRMV.

* Even years ago when I last played I ran into a game stopping bug even
with the patch, but that particular one was fixed in a later version of the
patch.

- Justisaur