From: keith_nu...@sbcglobal.net (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Windows Connect
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 08:44:52 -0500
 by: knuttle - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 13:44 UTC

I am talking about the Connect Function accessed from the notification
Icon on the right end of the tool bar.

I used to use this to review video from my trail cam that I had
downloaded to my laptop.

The TV, the local area net work and the computer have not been changed
from years before the trouble started.

At some point something changed and it is no longer available. ie the
TV does not show up in the possible devices to connect to. I assume it
is a permission problem, or sharing, BUT I have not been able to find
the option to change it either in McAfee or in Windows 10 21h2.

Are there any recommendation to restore this function?

Re: Windows Connect

<t0805v$5fb$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60268&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60268

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Windows Connect
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 11:27:41 -0500
 by: Paul - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 16:27 UTC

On 3/8/2022 8:44 AM, knuttle wrote:

> I am talking about the Connect Function accessed from the notification Icon on the right end of the tool bar.
>
> I used to use this to review video from my trail cam that I had downloaded to my laptop.
>
> The TV, the local area net work and the computer have not been changed from years before the trouble started.
>
> At some point something changed and it is no longer available.  ie the TV does not show up in the possible devices to connect to.  I assume it is a permission problem, or sharing, BUT I have not been able to find the option to change it either in McAfee or in Windows 10 21h2.
>
> Are there any recommendation to restore this function?

Does it look like this ?

"CONNECT

Searching for wireless display and audio devices"

https://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/3.png

Maybe it needs to be set up ? So it can start
searching for something.

https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-10/what-is-wifi-direct-in-windows-10-and-how-to-use-it/

Paul

Re: Windows Connect

<t085m0$mpq$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60283&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60283

From: keith_nu...@sbcglobal.net (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 13:01:34 -0500
 by: knuttle - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 18:01 UTC

On 3/8/2022 11:27 AM, Paul wrote:
> On 3/8/2022 8:44 AM, knuttle wrote:
>>
>> I am talking about the Connect Function accessed from the notification
>> Icon on the right end of the tool bar.
>>
>> I used to use this to review video from my trail cam that I had
>> downloaded to my laptop.
>>
>> The TV, the local area net work and the computer have not been changed
>> from years before the trouble started.
>>
>> At some point something changed and it is no longer available.  ie the
>> TV does not show up in the possible devices to connect to.  I assume
>> it is a permission problem, or sharing, BUT I have not been able to
>> find the option to change it either in McAfee or in Windows 10 21h2.
>>
>> Are there any recommendation to restore this function?
>
> Does it look like this ?
>
> "CONNECT
>
>  Searching for wireless display and audio devices"
>
>     https://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/3.png
>
> Maybe it needs to be set up ? So it can start
> searching for something.
>

> https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-10/what-is-wifi-direct-in-windows-10-and-how-to-use-it/
>

>   Paul
The function in the png image is exactly where I had been making the
connection.
What is furstrating about this problem is the fact that I had been
connectiong to the TV But noe with no hardware has changed, now the TV
is not seen.

Re: Windows Connect

<t08no7$dsk$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60297&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60297

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 18:09:57 -0500
 by: Paul - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 23:09 UTC

On 3/8/2022 1:01 PM, knuttle wrote:
> On 3/8/2022 11:27 AM, Paul wrote:
>>
>>      https://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/3.png
>>
> The function in the png image is exactly where I had been making the connection.
>
> What is furstrating about this problem is the fact that I had been connectiong to the TV
>
> But noe with no hardware has changed, now the TV is not seen.

OK, what about at the TV end ?

TV sets can receive firmware updates. These
change things like built-in Roku or Netflix
functions. But, they might also *reset* the
settings on the TV set. Do you recollect any
occasions where the regular operation of the
TV seems to have changed. Like some channel list was
blown away. Any subtle hint that the "TV hiccuped".

Check the settings on the TV side first.

Some protocols might be too simplistic to be considered
networking. They can be direct, point to point protocols
and they might not show up in "ipconfig".

Once a physical layer is established (router sends SSID,
peripheral device attempts to talk to it), there are things
like authentication and nameserving. Windows has some services
that support Plug and Play (PNP) and nameserving (NetBIOS, SSDP,
Bonjour for Apple flavored stuff maybe).

You might have to check the TV set manual, to see if it supports
regular Wifi networking, WiDi, or Miracast. And then you'd have
to research what services support those.

Paul

Re: Windows Connect

<t0b5hi$mh7$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60347&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60347

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 14:17:37 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 21:17 UTC

Paul wrote:

>    Paul

+1

--