From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: All platforms: How to get around the BBC ban in Russia on Android & iOS by using Psiphon or TOR onion URIs
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 22:16:46 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 22:16 UTC

*Here's how to get around the BBC ban in Russia*
<https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60532634>

1. Install the Psiphon app from the AppStore or Google Play Store
Android:
iOS:
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/psiphon/id1276263909>

2. Look for the dedicated BBC site on the Tor Browser or Onion Browser.
All common consumer platforms _except_ iOS:
<https://www.torproject.org/download/>
iOS: (Note that full Tor privacy is impossible on iOS due to webkit.)
<https://onionbrowser.com/>

3. Visit _this_ specific onion URI:
<https://www.bbcnewsd73hkzno2ini43t4gblxvycyac5aw4gnv7t2rccijh7745uqd.onion/>

If access to the apps is restricted then send a blank email to
get@psiphon3.com or gettor@torproject.org. An email will be sent in response
with a direct and safe download link

See also the onion browser FAQ:
<https://onionbrowser.com/faqs>
"What's the difference between browsing with Tor on iOS
and browsing with Tor on my computer? The primary difference is
that Apple requires we use the WebKit browser component they provide.
With Tor Browser on Desktop and Android, the browser is built upon
Mozilla's Firefox / Gecko component, which offers greater control
and more reliability when it comes to implementing proxying
and anti-tracking techniques."

See also the Tor browser FAQ:
<https://support.torproject.org/tormobile/tormobile-3/>
"Can I run Tor Browser on an iOS device? Apple requires browsers on iOS
to use something called Webkit, which prevents Onion Browser
from having the same privacy protections as Tor Browser."
--
Unfortunately, Apple never tells the truth that iOS doesn't have any of the
privacy protections enjoyed by _all_ the other common consumer platforms.

Re: All platforms: How to get around the BBC ban in Russia on Android & iOS by using Psiphon or TOR onion URIs

<t0c6dk$4bh$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60368&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60368

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 06:38:42 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 06:38 UTC

On all platforms, here's how to get around any Twitter ban in Russia
https://t.co/Un8u0AEXeE

As described here today
https://twitter.com/AlecMuffett/status/1501282223009542151

While I get that a user will use TOR, how do they prevent the Russians from
blocking the onion web site given the URL has to be publicized anyway?