Elegance and truth are inversely related. -- Becker's Razor

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Ethernet to USB adaptor

SubjectAuthor
* Ethernet to USB adaptorMayayana
+- Re: Ethernet to USB adaptorAndy Burns
+* Re: Ethernet to USB adaptorVanguardLH
|+- Re: Ethernet to USB adaptorMayayana
|`- Re: Ethernet to USB adaptorMayayana
+- Re: Ethernet to USB adaptorPaul
+- Re: Ethernet to USB adaptor...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
`* Re: Ethernet to USB adaptorwolfgang kern
 `* Re: Ethernet to USB adaptor...winston
  `- Re: Ethernet to USB adaptorKen Blake

1
Ethernet to USB adaptor

<t0alo4$u2l$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60321&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60321

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Ethernet to USB adaptor
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 11:47:42 -0500
 by: Mayayana - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 16:47 UTC

Anyone have experience with this? I bought an adaptor
from j5Create, to use with a new Win10 Asus laptop that
has no ethernet port. It's supposed to work without drivers.
Plug it into a USB port and get an ethernet port on the other
end.
I tried that. I tried downloading drivers. So far I can't find
any info online. Win10 simply doesn't seem to see anything
plugged in.

Re: Ethernet to USB adaptor

<j8s5itFnmdiU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60325&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60325

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Ethernet to USB adaptor
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 17:14:04 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 17:14 UTC

Mayayana wrote:

> Anyone have experience with this? I bought an adaptor
> from j5Create, to use with a new Win10 Asus laptop that
> has no ethernet port. It's supposed to work without drivers.

I've used half a dozen different USB/Ethernet dongles, they did all "just work"

Re: Ethernet to USB adaptor

<jv8xu7yckbyr.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60326&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60326

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 11:16:41 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 17:16 UTC

Mayayana wrote:

> Anyone have experience with this? I bought an adaptor
> from j5Create, to use with a new Win10 Asus laptop that
> has no ethernet port. It's supposed to work without drivers.
> Plug it into a USB port and get an ethernet port on the other
> end.
> I tried that. I tried downloading drivers. So far I can't find
> any info online. Win10 simply doesn't seem to see anything
> plugged in.

Is the green LED lit on the Ethernet end of the adapter cable? Do you
hear the boop-beep announcement tone when you plug in the USB end of the
adapter cable?

You didn't mention a model number for whatever you bought, just the
brand name. Maybe it's this one:

https://en.j5create.com/products/jue130

They have a Contact link at their web site. They have both contacts to
request support, and to issue warranty replacement. Could be you got a
defective device. Have you plugged other USB devices into the same USB
port on your laptop to be sure that port still works?

I also looked at their list of drivers at:

https://en.j5create.com/pages/drivers

You mentioned installing drivers. Did you get them from here?

I've not used these as my laptops all have an RJ-45 port (Ethernet). I
would look 2 places in Device Manager: under USB devices, and under
Network devices. I'd also use Nirsoft's USB Dev View to see if the USB
adapter shows up (check list before plugging it in, check USB device
list after plugging it in). In addition, Nirsoft will show prior USB
devices that are no longer plugged in; i.e., it shows the USB
handshaking presentation data that got stored in the registry. You
might try unplugging the adapter, and use Nirsoft to delete the USB
enumeration data for that device. When you plug it back it, the USB
handshaking will record a new enumeration entry for the device. I have
run across where USB enumeration data got corrupted, but kept getting
reused when the USB device was later plugged in again.

Re: Ethernet to USB adaptor

<t0au4d$res$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60337&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60337

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 14:11:05 -0500
 by: Paul - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 19:11 UTC

On 3/9/2022 11:47 AM, Mayayana wrote:
> Anyone have experience with this? I bought an adaptor
> from j5Create, to use with a new Win10 Asus laptop that
> has no ethernet port. It's supposed to work without drivers.
> Plug it into a USB port and get an ethernet port on the other
> end.
> I tried that. I tried downloading drivers. So far I can't find
> any info online. Win10 simply doesn't seem to see anything
> plugged in.

I would check VID and PID and see if it uses an ASIX chip.

ASIX made both USB2 versions and USB3 versions of Ethernet adapter.
The USB2 might have been 10/100. the USB3 might be 1000BT.

On an older OS, like Win7, you'd need a USB3 driver for the USB3
chipset, plus an ASIX driver (as otherwise you might not be
able to get to Windows Update to get them). The device probably
follows the USB.org class standard for such things, implying
it should just work. But you never know until you get there
and try it out. On Win10, the USB3 driver is in-box, and since
the ASIX has been around for a while, they could be in-box as well.
If it's a Chinese knockoff... who knows.

I have a TrendNet version of one of these with an ASIX in it.

You can check for Endpoint formation (just the logical plumbing to USB)
showing up with this. If you can read the Vid and Pid, that means
at least the basic plumbing to the USB chip works. Then it's off
to Device Manager (devmgmt.msc if you're on the Win11 Insider
with the broken/missing right click Start menu).

https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html

A usb.ids file can give you something to use, to check for ASIX chips.
The list just seems to get further and further behind,
when it comes to listing new items out there. The last
half dozen times I've used this technique, there was no
entry for the item.

http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids

0b95 ASIX Electronics Corp.
1720 10/100 Ethernet
1780 AX88178
1790 AX88179 Gigabit Ethernet <=== ???
6802 AX68002 KVM Switch SoC
7720 AX88772
772a AX88772A Fast Ethernet
772b AX88772B
7e2b AX88772B Fast Ethernet Controller

You could also boot a Linux and attempt to give it
a functional test.

Paul

Re: Ethernet to USB adaptor

<t0au93$ufc$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60338&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60338

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 12:13:38 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 19:13 UTC

Mayayana wrote:
> Anyone have experience with this? I bought an adaptor
> from j5Create, to use with a new Win10 Asus laptop that
> has no ethernet port. It's supposed to work without drivers.
> Plug it into a USB port and get an ethernet port on the other
> end.
> I tried that. I tried downloading drivers. So far I can't find
> any info online. Win10 simply doesn't seem to see anything
> plugged in.

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network Connections

When plugged in, should show up in above, when connected to a supported
USB port.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Ethernet to USB adaptor

<t0aupe$93l$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60339&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60339

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 14:21:37 -0500
 by: Mayayana - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 19:21 UTC

"VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote

| I've not used these as my laptops all have an RJ-45 port (Ethernet). I
| would look 2 places in Device Manager: under USB devices, and under
| Network devices. I'd also use Nirsoft's USB Dev View to see if the USB
| adapter shows up (check list before plugging it in, check USB device
| list after plugging it in).

I didn't know about that. It shows up as ASIX
USB to Ethernet. So it's identified. But Win10 doesn't
seem to see it. I removed it, then plugged the adapter
in again. So far it's not recognized.... Ah. I think I got it.
I removed the wireless mouse antenna and then the
ethernet was recognized. I then swapped those two devices
and now it seems to work. Thank you.

Re: Ethernet to USB adaptor

<t0aupf$93l$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60340&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60340

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 14:21:59 -0500
 by: Mayayana - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 19:21 UTC

"VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote

| I've not used these as my laptops all have an RJ-45 port (Ethernet). I
| would look 2 places in Device Manager: under USB devices, and under
| Network devices. I'd also use Nirsoft's USB Dev View to see if the USB
| adapter shows up (check list before plugging it in, check USB device
| list after plugging it in).

I didn't know about that. It shows up as ASIX
USB to Ethernet. So it's identified. But Win10 doesn't
seem to see it. I removed it, then plugged the adapter
in again. So far it's not recognized.... Ah. I think I got it.
I removed the wireless mouse antenna and then the
ethernet was recognized. I then swapped those two devices
and now it seems to work. Thank you.

Re: Ethernet to USB adaptor

<t0bo0t$4hf$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60361&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60361

From: nowh...@nospicedham.never.at (wolfgang kern)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 03:32:59 +0100
 by: wolfgang kern - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 02:32 UTC

On 09.03.2022 17:47, Mayayana wrote:

> Anyone have experience with this?

I had one of those types of connectors which worked great until I lost it.

Re: Ethernet to USB adaptor

<t0ce5r$shp$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60371&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60371

From: winston...@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 01:50:53 -0700
 by: ...winston - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 08:50 UTC

"wolfgang kern" wrote in message news:t0bo0t$4hf$1@gioia.aioe.org...
> I had one of those types of connectors which worked great until I lost it.

Possession is usually required to use a device.
Could be working very well for whoever found(possesses) it!

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Ethernet to USB adaptor

<b0dk2hh2u7s1fgic2klidbnfjp6h3bs3pt@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60395&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60395

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 10:24:02 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 17:24 UTC

On Thu, 10 Mar 2022 01:50:53 -0700, "...winston"
<winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:

>"wolfgang kern" wrote in message news:t0bo0t$4hf$1@gioia.aioe.org...
>> I had one of those types of connectors which worked great until I lost it.
>>
>Possession is usually required to use a device.

How devilish of you to say that!

--
The real, original Ken Blake, not some other newcomer