Facts are stubborn, but statistics are more pliable.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?

SubjectAuthor
* Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?micky
+- Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?Paul
+* Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?J. P. Gilliver (John)
|+* Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?Paul
||`- Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?micky
|`- Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?R.Wieser
+* Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?Paul in Houston TX
|`* Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?J. P. Gilliver (John)
| `* Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?Mark Lloyd
|  `* Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?Ken Blake
|   `* Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?J. P. Gilliver (John)
|    +* Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?Paul in Houston TX
|    |+* Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?J. P. Gilliver (John)
|    ||+* Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?Ken Blake
|    |||`- Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
|    ||`* Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?Paul in Houston TX
|    || `- Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?Char Jackson
|    |`- Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?Ken Blake
|    `* Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?Ken Blake
|     `* Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?Carlos E.R.
|      `* Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?Ken Blake
|       `- Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?Ken Blake
`- Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?Carlos E.R.

1
Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?

<g8082htttcim8tf8ii91lgb9fde4qhg3jn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60140&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60140

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2022 02:37:27 +0200
 by: micky - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 00:37 UTC

I found, maybe, that if I leave my mouse or keyboard plugged into the
USB jack that is iiuc always on, it runs down the battery.

Please explain that to me. I believe that the left front usb jack on
an ACER Aspire E15 is always on, but when the laptop was always plugged
in, that didn't matter. Now it's only plugged into the cigarrette
lighter while I'm using it.

The mouse has a laser that could use current even when I'm not there,
maybe,

So I switched to plugging int he keyboard in that jack, but I think I
still got battery drain. Can the keyboard use current when I'm not
typing on it? Maybe it fell on the car floor such that one of the keys
was always down?

Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?

<t0114m$k18$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60141&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60141

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 20:01:09 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 01:01 UTC

On 3/5/2022 7:37 PM, micky wrote:
> I found, maybe, that if I leave my mouse or keyboard plugged into the
> USB jack that is iiuc always on, it runs down the battery.
>
> Please explain that to me. I believe that the left front usb jack on
> an ACER Aspire E15 is always on, but when the laptop was always plugged
> in, that didn't matter. Now it's only plugged into the cigarrette
> lighter while I'm using it.
>
> The mouse has a laser that could use current even when I'm not there,
> maybe,
>
> So I switched to plugging int he keyboard in that jack, but I think I
> still got battery drain. Can the keyboard use current when I'm not
> typing on it? Maybe it fell on the car floor such that one of the keys
> was always down?

Absolutely they use current.

The policies governing ports and devices are complicated.

In a power miser situation, simply unplug the excess crap
for best results.

Guess how I "park" my laptop... With battery pack OUT, each time.

Lithium packs have self-discharge, but if I remove the pack,
I can at least be assured it won't completely drain when
sitting on the shelf for three months. The last time I
used the laptop, I forgot to remove the pack, and a couple
months later, happened to check on it, plugged in the adapter,
and I was lucky to be "charging it at zero". It was flat,
but not so low that the charger would not charge it. I
got lucky on that one.

I just double checked and the pack is OUT right now.

Paul

Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?

<ZDYW3UWpNBJiFwJI@a.a>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60144&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60144

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 01:50:33 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 01:50 UTC

On Sun, 6 Mar 2022 at 02:37:27, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote (my
>I found, maybe, that if I leave my mouse or keyboard plugged into the
>USB jack that is iiuc always on, it runs down the battery.
>
>Please explain that to me. I believe that the left front usb jack on
>an ACER Aspire E15 is always on, but when the laptop was always plugged
>in, that didn't matter. Now it's only plugged into the cigarrette
>lighter while I'm using it.
>
>The mouse has a laser that could use current even when I'm not there,
>maybe,

Yes, if supplied with power, a mouse will use some - I think even a ball
one will, certainly an optical one. Basically, they detect movement by
detecting a change in what the sensor "sees" when you move it; in order
to see, you need light! (I suppose one could use ambient light, but
they'd then need to have a transparent body - and probably wouldn't work
well.) When it's sitting there stationary, it still has to _detect_ when
you move it.

>So I switched to plugging int he keyboard in that jack, but I think I
>still got battery drain. Can the keyboard use current when I'm not
>typing on it? Maybe it fell on the car floor such that one of the keys
>was always down?

It still has to continually scan the keyboard matrix to see if you've
pressed a key; that takes non-zero power. (Plus of course the lock
lights if on!)

You can believe it if it helps you to sleep. - Quoted by Tom Lehrer (on
religion, in passing), April 2013.
(Apparently he was quoting James Taylor's "Sweet Baby James".)

Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?

<t01feq$95j$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60145&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60145

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 00:05:30 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 05:05 UTC

On 3/5/2022 8:50 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Mar 2022 at 02:37:27, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>> I found, maybe, that if I leave my mouse or keyboard plugged into the
>> USB jack that is iiuc always on, it runs down the battery.
>>
>> Please explain that to me.  I believe that the left front  usb jack on
>> an ACER Aspire E15 is always on, but when the laptop was always plugged
>> in, that didn't matter.  Now it's only plugged into the cigarrette
>> lighter while I'm using it.
>>
>> The mouse has a laser that could use current even when I'm not there,
>> maybe,
>
> Yes, if supplied with power, a mouse will use some - I think even a ball one will, certainly an optical one. Basically, they detect movement by detecting a change in what the sensor "sees" when you move it; in order to see, you need light! (I suppose one could use ambient light, but they'd then need to have a transparent body - and probably wouldn't work well.) When it's sitting there stationary, it still has to _detect_ when you move it.
>>
>> So I switched to plugging int he keyboard in that jack, but I think I
>> still got battery drain.  Can the keyboard  use current when I'm not
>> typing on it?  Maybe it fell on the car floor such that one of the keys
>> was always down?
>
> It still has to continually scan the keyboard matrix to see if you've pressed a key; that takes non-zero power. (Plus of course the lock lights if on!)

If you buy a USB power meter like the one Rene got,
you could measure the thing. These come with a variety
of features.

"USB LCD Digital Power Meter $29"

https://www.newegg.com/p/0AF-01ZT-00004

When Windows 10 shuts down my wired Microsoft mouse, it leaves
the blue laser flashing. Even though wake-on-mouse is disabled.

For my Logitech red LED mouse, the light goes off on it.
That means you can jiggle it all you want, and the machine
will not wake. the wakeup feature on that mouse, depends
on a mouse click instead. Which means the chip still has
power, and the USB oscillator is still running.

Paul

Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?

<t02bs5$ec1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60158&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60158

From: addr...@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 14:10:02 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 13:10 UTC

John,

> It still has to continually scan the keyboard matrix to see if you've
> pressed a key;

Not quite. The "row" lines can all be enabled, causing any keypress to
register on the "column" lines. The scanning is only needed to figure out
/which/ key is pressed.

IOW, you would have a static situation, which should take very little
energy. Include some "wake up on change" circuitry in the keyboard
controller and you go even lower.

> (Plus of course the lock lights if on!)

Those can be set/cleared by the computer (always funny to create a
Kit-scanner with them and get a newbie confused :-) )

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?

<3ks92hpsbaa8i61594t03hr3mgnd3l7pkb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60180&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60180

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2022 19:58:18 +0200
 by: micky - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 17:58 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sun, 6 Mar 2022 00:05:30 -0500, Paul
<nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>On 3/5/2022 8:50 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> On Sun, 6 Mar 2022 at 02:37:27, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>>> I found, maybe, that if I leave my mouse or keyboard plugged into the
>>> USB jack that is iiuc always on, it runs down the battery.
>>>
>>> Please explain that to me.  I believe that the left front  usb jack on
>>> an ACER Aspire E15 is always on, but when the laptop was always plugged
>>> in, that didn't matter.  Now it's only plugged into the cigarrette
>>> lighter while I'm using it.
>>>
>>> The mouse has a laser that could use current even when I'm not there,
>>> maybe,
>>
>> Yes, if supplied with power, a mouse will use some - I think even a ball one will, certainly an optical one. Basically, they detect movement by detecting a change in what the sensor "sees" when you move it; in order to see, you need light! (I suppose one could use ambient light, but they'd then need to have a transparent body - and probably wouldn't work well.) When it's sitting there stationary, it still has to _detect_ when you move it.
>>>
>>> So I switched to plugging int he keyboard in that jack, but I think I
>>> still got battery drain.  Can the keyboard  use current when I'm not
>>> typing on it?  Maybe it fell on the car floor such that one of the keys
>>> was always down?
>>
>> It still has to continually scan the keyboard matrix to see if you've pressed a key; that takes non-zero power. (Plus of course the lock lights if on!)
>
>If you buy a USB power meter like the one Rene got,
>you could measure the thing. These come with a variety
>of features.
>
>"USB LCD Digital Power Meter $29"
>
>https://www.newegg.com/p/0AF-01ZT-00004

I actually have one of those, but mine is at least 5 years old and it
doesn't do tricks....

>When Windows 10 shuts down my wired Microsoft mouse, it leaves
>the blue laser flashing. Even though wake-on-mouse is disabled.

.... like this.

It's small of course and I actually brought it on my previous trips, but
never used it and decided even 2 ounces is too much to bring if I know
I'll never use it. (I ended up bring two pairs of scissors, by mistake.
And I bring one magnifying glass for inside, and one for the car, but by
mistake this time I brought three of them!) I also brought two mice,
because on a previous trip my mouse wore out, but that is so ridiculous,
because it's easy to buy another one while traveling and I can use the
touch pad for a day without much suffering. And I brought 2 or 3
obsolute USB cables, that I think were not obsolete during my first big
trip 5 years ago. All in all, the things I don't need are less than a
pound.

I sort of figured the mouse used power when I saw the red light go on,
so the next night I reversed it with the keyboard, but the battery still
needed charging the next night. I used to put everythign in the back of
the car, under the hatch, but now I just put it on floor in front of
the passenger seat and cover it with junk clothes and food bags during
the day. So it was easy to leave things pglugged in, but now I unplug
everything. It takes extra time to find the mouse the next night,
because I can't just pull on the cord from the laptop, but it's worth
it. :-)

..

>For my Logitech red LED mouse, the light goes off on it.
>That means you can jiggle it all you want, and the machine
>will not wake. the wakeup feature on that mouse, depends
>on a mouse click instead. Which means the chip still has
>power, and the USB oscillator is still running.
>
> Paul

Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?

<t03ffd$64i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60204&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60204

From: Pau...@Houston.Texas (Paul in Houston TX)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 17:18:02 -0600
 by: Paul in Houston TX - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 23:18 UTC

micky wrote:
> I found, maybe, that if I leave my mouse or keyboard plugged into the
> USB jack that is iiuc always on, it runs down the battery.
>
> Please explain that to me. I believe that the left front usb jack on
> an ACER Aspire E15 is always on, but when the laptop was always plugged
> in, that didn't matter. Now it's only plugged into the cigarrette
> lighter while I'm using it.
>
> The mouse has a laser that could use current even when I'm not there,
> maybe,
>
> So I switched to plugging int he keyboard in that jack, but I think I
> still got battery drain. Can the keyboard use current when I'm not
> typing on it? Maybe it fell on the car floor such that one of the keys
> was always down?

My laptops and floortops have a setting in bios to turn off the 5v when
the comps are turned "off". Sometimes I leave one machine's 5v set to
"on" to charge a cell phone when the comp is supposedly off.

Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?

<ZzUW7zFb0VJiFwq5@a.a>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60206&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60206

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 01:17:15 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 01:17 UTC

On Sun, 6 Mar 2022 at 17:18:02, Paul in Houston TX <Paul@Houston.Texas>
wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
[]
>My laptops and floortops have a setting in bios to turn off the 5v when
>the comps are turned "off". Sometimes I leave one machine's 5v set to
>"on" to charge a cell phone when the comp is supposedly off.

I've not come across "floortop" before!

Can a blue man sing the whites?

Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?

<PvuVJ.104811$Gojc.93638@fx99.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60222&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60222

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: not.em...@all.invalid (Mark Lloyd)
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 15:08:59 -0600
 by: Mark Lloyd - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 21:08 UTC

On 3/6/22 19:17, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Mar 2022 at 17:18:02, Paul in Houston TX <Paul@Houston.Texas>
> wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
> []
>> My laptops and floortops have a setting in bios to turn off the 5v
>> when the comps are turned "off".  Sometimes I leave one machine's 5v
>> set to "on" to charge a cell phone when the comp is supposedly off.
>
> I've not come across "floortop" before!

I hadn't either, but would expect something bigger than a desktop.
Similar to "luggable" computers (a "portable" PC that weighs 40 pounds,
and has to be plugged in to use).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Ultimate office automation: networked coffee."

Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?

<2e1d2h5ui74gkhpcrson56b6tq2ntmdpfs@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60224&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60224

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 15:23:50 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 22:23 UTC

On Mon, 7 Mar 2022 15:08:59 -0600, Mark Lloyd <not.email@all.invalid>
wrote:

>On 3/6/22 19:17, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> On Sun, 6 Mar 2022 at 17:18:02, Paul in Houston TX <Paul@Houston.Texas>
>> wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>> []
>>> My laptops and floortops have a setting in bios to turn off the 5v
>>> when the comps are turned "off".  Sometimes I leave one machine's 5v
>>> set to "on" to charge a cell phone when the comp is supposedly off.
>>
>> I've not come across "floortop" before!
>
>I hadn't either, but would expect something bigger than a desktop.
>Similar to "luggable" computers (a "portable" PC that weighs 40 pounds,
>and has to be plugged in to use).

I assume he meant what I would call a tower. To me, a tower is a kind
of desktop.

--
The real, original Ken Blake, not some other newcomer

Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?

<V+VFozEcooJiFw71@a.a>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60227&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60227

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 22:41:32 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 22:41 UTC

On Mon, 7 Mar 2022 at 15:23:50, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote
(my responses usually FOLLOW):
>On Mon, 7 Mar 2022 15:08:59 -0600, Mark Lloyd <not.email@all.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>On 3/6/22 19:17, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>>> On Sun, 6 Mar 2022 at 17:18:02, Paul in Houston TX <Paul@Houston.Texas>
>>> wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>>> []
>>>
>>> I've not come across "floortop" before!
>>
>>I hadn't either, but would expect something bigger than a desktop.
>>Similar to "luggable" computers (a "portable" PC that weighs 40 pounds,
>>and has to be plugged in to use).
>

>I assume he meant what I would call a tower. To me, a tower is a kind
>of desktop.

I'm familiar with the terms tower, mini-tower, full tower, etcetera.

If he means he stands it on the floor (e. g. under his desk), that's
generally not a good idea - they tend to pick up more fluff, dust, etc.,
when down there.

The voices of Radio 4 continuity and newsreading have been keeping me right
for as long as I can remember. I can call on a million different information
sources, but it doesn't make sense until I've heard it from Peter, Harriet,
Charlotte and the rest.- Eddie Mair in Radio Times 10-16 November 2012

Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?

<t06hh9$5dq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60236&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60236

From: Pau...@Houston.Texas (Paul in Houston TX)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 21:11:31 -0600
 by: Paul in Houston TX - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 03:11 UTC

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Mar 2022 at 15:23:50, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote
> (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>> On Mon, 7 Mar 2022 15:08:59 -0600, Mark Lloyd <not.email@all.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> I hadn't either, but would expect something bigger than a desktop.
>>> Similar to "luggable" computers (a "portable" PC that weighs 40 pounds,
>>> and has to be plugged in to use).
>>

>> I assume he meant what I would call a tower. To me, a tower is a kind
>> of desktop.
>>
> I'm familiar with the terms tower, mini-tower, full tower, etcetera.
>
> If he means he stands it on the floor (e. g. under his desk), that's
> generally not a good idea - they tend to pick up more fluff, dust, etc.,
> when down there.

I could not think of the work "tower" (Thanks, Ken).
It's a bit too big and heavy for desktop at 22" x 22" x 8" (54 x 54 x 20
cm). It's all aluminum but still weighs around 20 lbs/9kg.
JPG, you're right about the dust. Every month or two I take it into the
garage and use the air compressor to clean it out.
Maybe I can set it on some concrete blocks.

Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?

<DQ8gzdR7lzJiFwqo@a.a>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60246&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60246

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 11:09:47 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 11:09 UTC

On Mon, 7 Mar 2022 at 21:11:31, Paul in Houston TX <Paul@Houston.Texas>
wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
[]
>> I'm familiar with the terms tower, mini-tower, full tower, etcetera.
>> If he means he stands it on the floor (e. g. under his desk), that's
>>generally not a good idea - they tend to pick up more fluff, dust,
>>etc., when down there.
>
>I could not think of the work "tower" (Thanks, Ken).
>It's a bit too big and heavy for desktop at 22" x 22" x 8" (54 x 54 x
>20 cm). It's all aluminum but still weighs around 20 lbs/9kg.
>JPG, you're right about the dust. Every month or two I take it into
>the garage and use the air compressor to clean it out.
>Maybe I can set it on some concrete blocks.

Not a bad idea. Helps ventilation too.

You can get castors - like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313550349793 (if
not in UK ignore pricing), which at least lift it off the carpet, and
also make it easier to slide out if you need to.

I'm not a great fan of new technology. I don't change my phone every time the
bell rings - Sir David Attenborough, RT 2016/1/23-29

Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?

<ml1f2hde1ctnf19bg937bft2mpc8b0p7ru@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60271&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60271

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2022 09:40:38 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 16:40 UTC

On Mon, 7 Mar 2022 22:41:32 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
<G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

>On Mon, 7 Mar 2022 at 15:23:50, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote
>(my responses usually FOLLOW):
>>On Mon, 7 Mar 2022 15:08:59 -0600, Mark Lloyd <not.email@all.invalid>
>>wrote:

>>>I hadn't either, but would expect something bigger than a desktop.
>>>Similar to "luggable" computers (a "portable" PC that weighs 40 pounds,
>>>and has to be plugged in to use).
>>

>>I assume he meant what I would call a tower. To me, a tower is a kind
>>of desktop.
>>
>I'm familiar with the terms tower, mini-tower, full tower, etcetera.
>
>If he means he stands it on the floor (e. g. under his desk), that's
>generally not a good idea - they tend to pick up more fluff, dust, etc.,
>when down there.

Good idea or not, that's where I stand my tower. It's very large and
there's no other choice for me.

--
The real, original Ken Blake, not some other newcomer

Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?

<gq1f2hpc2q8nppnkmmu03hssu89s7lfu7i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60272&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60272

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2022 09:44:56 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 16:44 UTC

On Mon, 7 Mar 2022 21:11:31 -0600, Paul in Houston TX
<Paul@Houston.Texas> wrote:

>J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> On Mon, 7 Mar 2022 at 15:23:50, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote
>> (my responses usually FOLLOW):

>>> I assume he meant what I would call a tower. To me, a tower is a kind
>>> of desktop.
>>>
>> I'm familiar with the terms tower, mini-tower, full tower, etcetera.
>>
>> If he means he stands it on the floor (e. g. under his desk), that's
>> generally not a good idea - they tend to pick up more fluff, dust, etc.,
>> when down there.
>
>I could not think of the work "tower" (Thanks, Ken).

You're welcome.

>It's a bit too big and heavy for desktop at 22" x 22" x 8" (54 x 54 x 20
>cm). It's all aluminum but still weighs around 20 lbs/9kg.

Mine is similar, but the reason it's not on the desk is that there's
no room for it, especially since the desk has built-in bookshelves
above it.

>JPG, you're right about the dust. Every month or two I take it into the
>garage and use the air compressor to clean it out.
>Maybe I can set it on some concrete blocks.

--
The real, original Ken Blake, not some other newcomer

Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?

<ea2f2hlfj4aq0otmb93rrka7lcgdplrue3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60274&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60274

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2022 09:52:07 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 16:52 UTC

On Tue, 8 Mar 2022 11:09:47 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
<G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

>On Mon, 7 Mar 2022 at 21:11:31, Paul in Houston TX <Paul@Houston.Texas>
>wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>>J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>[]
>>> I'm familiar with the terms tower, mini-tower, full tower, etcetera.
>>> If he means he stands it on the floor (e. g. under his desk), that's
>>>generally not a good idea - they tend to pick up more fluff, dust,
>>>etc., when down there.
>>
>>I could not think of the work "tower" (Thanks, Ken).
>>It's a bit too big and heavy for desktop at 22" x 22" x 8" (54 x 54 x
>>20 cm). It's all aluminum but still weighs around 20 lbs/9kg.
>>JPG, you're right about the dust. Every month or two I take it into
>>the garage and use the air compressor to clean it out.
>>Maybe I can set it on some concrete blocks.
>
>Not a bad idea. Helps ventilation too.
>
>You can get castors - like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313550349793 (if
>not in UK ignore pricing), which at least lift it off the carpet, and
>also make it easier to slide out if you need to.

No carpet here, but making it easier to slide in and sounds great.

I never realized such things were available, but I just ordered one (a
different brand) from Amazon USA. Thanks very much.

--
The real, original Ken Blake, not some other newcomer

Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?

<t08qc2$unb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60298&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60298

From: Pau...@Houston.Texas (Paul in Houston TX)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 17:54:34 -0600
 by: Paul in Houston TX - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 23:54 UTC

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Mar 2022 at 21:11:31, Paul in Houston TX <Paul@Houston.Texas>
> wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>> J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> []
>>> I'm familiar with the terms tower, mini-tower, full tower, etcetera.
>>>  If he means he stands it on the floor (e. g. under his desk), that's
>>> generally not a good idea - they tend to pick up more fluff, dust,
>>> etc.,  when down there.
>>
>> I could not think of the work "tower" (Thanks, Ken).
>> It's a bit too big and heavy for desktop at 22" x 22" x 8" (54 x 54 x
>> 20 cm).  It's all aluminum but still weighs around 20 lbs/9kg.
>> JPG, you're right about the dust.  Every month or two I take it into
>> the garage and use the air compressor to clean it out.
>> Maybe I can set it on some concrete blocks.
>
> Not a bad idea. Helps ventilation too.
>
> You can get castors - like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313550349793 (if
> not in UK ignore pricing), which at least lift it off the carpet, and
> also make it easier to slide out if you need to.

What a great idea!
I have an unused furniture dolly that should work very well.
Got it on sale at Harbor Freight for $4 a few years ago.
Cost went up since then:
https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-x-12-in-1000-lb-capacity-hardwood-dolly-58312.html

Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?

<p2hg2ht67vf4ockkfpqeo8b7s2ec445jjt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60301&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60301

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2022 00:10:33 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 06:10 UTC

On Tue, 8 Mar 2022 17:54:34 -0600, Paul in Houston TX
<Paul@Houston.Texas> wrote:

>J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> You can get castors - like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313550349793 (if
>> not in UK ignore pricing), which at least lift it off the carpet, and
>> also make it easier to slide out if you need to.
>
>What a great idea!
>I have an unused furniture dolly that should work very well.
>Got it on sale at Harbor Freight for $4 a few years ago.
>Cost went up since then:
>https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-x-12-in-1000-lb-capacity-hardwood-dolly-58312.html

I bought a half dozen of those dollies a few years ago just to harvest
the casters off of them. I use them in the woodworking shop. Every tool
stand and table that I build gets a set.

Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?

<44nmfi-rbj.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60304&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60304

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 14:36:36 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 13:36 UTC

On 2022-03-06 01:37, micky wrote:
> I found, maybe, that if I leave my mouse or keyboard plugged into the
> USB jack that is iiuc always on, it runs down the battery.
>
> Please explain that to me. I believe that the left front usb jack on
> an ACER Aspire E15 is always on, but when the laptop was always plugged
> in, that didn't matter. Now it's only plugged into the cigarrette
> lighter while I'm using it.
>
> The mouse has a laser that could use current even when I'm not there,
> maybe,
>
> So I switched to plugging int he keyboard in that jack, but I think I
> still got battery drain. Can the keyboard use current when I'm not
> typing on it? Maybe it fell on the car floor such that one of the keys
> was always down?

Depends on design.

You know that there are wireless keyboards and mice that runs out of one
or two AA batteries for over a year.

For example, I have one BT mouse with a single AA battery. When not used
it goes to sleep, and the laser is off. I have to click one of the
buttons to awake it.

But a connected keyboard/mouse doesn't "need" to be careful with power
drain, power is ample.

Also, the laptop itself may need to keep a power conversion module
active in order to have 5 volt present on the USB connection, even if
nothing is there - unless there is some trick that powers it off
automatically, like a sensor switch on the connector.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?

<gjnmfi-rbj.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60305&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60305

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 14:44:48 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 13:44 UTC

On 2022-03-08 17:40, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Mar 2022 22:41:32 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
> <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 7 Mar 2022 at 15:23:50, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote
>> (my responses usually FOLLOW):

>>> I assume he meant what I would call a tower. To me, a tower is a kind
>>> of desktop.
>>>
>> I'm familiar with the terms tower, mini-tower, full tower, etcetera.
>>
>> If he means he stands it on the floor (e. g. under his desk), that's
>> generally not a good idea - they tend to pick up more fluff, dust, etc.,
>> when down there.
>

> Good idea or not, that's where I stand my tower. It's very large and
> there's no other choice for me.

Put it on a pair or bricks or something, never directly on the floor or
carpet.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?

<vdmh2h9ebeg7j9k09pti0e7e1gdlaoj1j4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60320&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60320

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2022 09:47:51 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 16:47 UTC

On Wed, 9 Mar 2022 14:44:48 +0100, "Carlos E.R."
<robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>On 2022-03-08 17:40, Ken Blake wrote:
>> On Mon, 7 Mar 2022 22:41:32 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
>> <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, 7 Mar 2022 at 15:23:50, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote
>>> (my responses usually FOLLOW):

>>> I'm familiar with the terms tower, mini-tower, full tower, etcetera.
>>>
>>> If he means he stands it on the floor (e. g. under his desk), that's
>>> generally not a good idea - they tend to pick up more fluff, dust, etc.,
>>> when down there.
>>

>> Good idea or not, that's where I stand my tower. It's very large and
>> there's no other choice for me.
>>

>Put it on a pair or bricks or something, never directly on the floor or
>carpet.

It's a tile floor. I have it on a block of wood, lest a mop drenches
it. But the caster like the one JP recommended will arrive here a
little later today.

--
The real, original Ken Blake, not some other newcomer

Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?

<t0b5d8$mh7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60346&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60346

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 14:15:18 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 21:15 UTC

Ken Blake wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Mar 2022 11:09:47 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
> <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 7 Mar 2022 at 21:11:31, Paul in Houston TX <Paul@Houston.Texas>
>> wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>>> J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> []
>>>
>>> I could not think of the work "tower" (Thanks, Ken).
>>> It's a bit too big and heavy for desktop at 22" x 22" x 8" (54 x 54 x
>>> 20 cm). It's all aluminum but still weighs around 20 lbs/9kg.
>>> JPG, you're right about the dust. Every month or two I take it into
>>> the garage and use the air compressor to clean it out.
>>> Maybe I can set it on some concrete blocks.
>>
>> Not a bad idea. Helps ventilation too.
>>
>> You can get castors - like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313550349793 (if
>> not in UK ignore pricing), which at least lift it off the carpet, and
>> also make it easier to slide out if you need to.
>

> No carpet here, but making it easier to slide in and sounds great.
>
> I never realized such things were available, but I just ordered one (a
> different brand) from Amazon USA. Thanks very much.

Similar here, but carpet in the room. Desktop sits on under the rt side
of desk.
Granite marble place had some pieces marked as remants, 1/2" thick just
the right size length and wide with 3/8" extra on perimeter - $12. Used
a carbide bit to drill 4 holes and mounted the necessary parts of a
variable size industrial slide out cabinet shelf(another used remnant,
but from a swap meet, removed the front and side enclosure) - $8, weight
rated to 38 lb - another remnant from same seller mounted and used as
the slide out shelf storing four 1930-50's era cast iron pans(about 23
lb.) Antec Mid-tower desktop case and internal components about 33 lb.
Did have to glue a 1/4" x 1" piece of tile(Liquid Nails)to the bottom of
the granite to ensure it was level on the carpet.
- Caster assembly would have been easier but had plenty of time to do
and figure something else out.
- Sure makes it easier cleaning out the dust bunnies and access to
components. At the time of retrofitting, the spouse in jest suggested
going the full route - put in a hydraulic system to lift it up higher.
- Still runs Win10 Pro(CPU, and no TPM - are only parts not W11
capable), have yet to determine if the case will be reused for new
hardware etc. for Win11, doesn't have but would like a front USB-C
connector, currently using a USB 3 to C cable - a few years left to
decide.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Dpes a ISB mouse or keyboard use current when not in use?

<f6um2hte59f51mlp4ahh8cc2ccis74tbak@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60434&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60434

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 09:33:32 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 16:33 UTC

On Wed, 09 Mar 2022 09:47:51 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 9 Mar 2022 14:44:48 +0100, "Carlos E.R."
><robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On 2022-03-08 17:40, Ken Blake wrote:

>>> Good idea or not, that's where I stand my tower. It's very large and
>>> there's no other choice for me.
>>>

>>Put it on a pair or bricks or something, never directly on the floor or
>>carpet.
>

>It's a tile floor. I have it on a block of wood, lest a mop drenches
>it. But the caster like the one JP recommended will arrive here a
>little later today.

It arrived a day late--yesterday afternoon. The computer is on it now.

It's fine and a like it, but I'm almost sorry I ordered it. It was a
giant problem putting the computer on it. The full tower computer is
huge and it weighs a ton. I almost thought I would have a heart attack
lifting it.

I didn't. I'm fine.

--
The real, original Ken Blake, not some other newcomer