"Protozoa are small, and bacteria are small, but viruses are smaller than the both put together."

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Remnants of the Precursors has been released (free Master of Orion remake)

SubjectAuthor
* Remnants of the Precursors has been released (free Master of Orion remake)MetalGuru
+- Re: Remnants of the Precursors has been released (free Master of Orion remake)Mike S.
+* Re: Remnants of the Precursors has been released (free Master ofJustisaur
|`* Re: Remnants of the Precursors has been released (free Master ofMetalGuru
| +* Re: Remnants of the Precursors has been released (free Master ofJAB
| |`- Re: Remnants of the Precursors has been released (free Master ofJAB
| `- Re: Remnants of the Precursors has been released (free Master ofMetalGuru
`* Re: Remnants of the Precursors has been released (free Master of Orion remake)Spalls Hurgenson
 `- Re: Remnants of the Precursors has been released (free Master ofDimensional Traveler

1
Remnants of the Precursors has been released (free Master of Orion remake)

<e71aff05-a056-40cc-8698-bf0a507d3a7dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6062&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6062

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 20:44:43 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Remnants of the Precursors has been released (free Master of Orion remake)
From: themetab...@gmail.com (MetalGuru)
 by: MetalGuru - Mon, 31 Jan 2022 04:44 UTC

Remnants of the Precursors is a straight-up remake of 1993’s Master of Orion with some helpful interface changes, desperately needed exploit fixes and loophole closures, and the kind of artwork you’d expect in a modern release. All this is courtesy of Master of Orion fan and retired programmer Ray Fowler, who made Remnants of the Precursors available as a free download. You can get it here:

https://rayfowler.itch.io/remnants-of-the-precursors

I must confess I have never played MoO or any of its sequels. Besides Civilization (played them all except VI) and SMAC very few 4X games have held my attention for more that a few hours. (Although Old World seems to be something special -- and incredibly complex with a very steep learning curve -- so I'll probably wait get it on a deep sale (free?) someday).

Have fun, boys.

Re: Remnants of the Precursors has been released (free Master of Orion remake)

<okqfvg9n2vbvqoocor9tst7346dfhpmf91@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6075&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6075

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 08:57:08 -0500
 by: Mike S. - Mon, 31 Jan 2022 13:57 UTC

On Sun, 30 Jan 2022 20:44:43 -0800 (PST), MetalGuru
<themetabaron@gmail.com> wrote:

>Remnants of the Precursors is a straight-up remake of 1993’s Master of Orion with some helpful interface changes, desperately needed exploit fixes and loophole closures, and the kind of artwork you’d expect in a modern release. All this is courtesy of Master of Orion fan and retired programmer Ray Fowler, who made Remnants of the Precursors available as a free download. You can get it here:
>
>https://rayfowler.itch.io/remnants-of-the-precursors
>
>I must confess I have never played MoO or any of its sequels. Besides Civilization (played them all except VI) and SMAC very few 4X games have held my attention for more that a few hours. (Although Old World seems to be something special -- and incredibly complex with a very steep learning curve -- so I'll probably wait get it on a deep sale (free?) someday).
>
>Have fun, boys.

Wow, this looks really interesting. Thank you for sharing this.

Re: Remnants of the Precursors has been released (free Master of Orion remake)

<07fbc6a5-7b19-480c-ac1f-f318f073a5e2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6078&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6078

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 07:45:18 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Remnants of the Precursors has been released (free Master of
Orion remake)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Mon, 31 Jan 2022 15:45 UTC

On Sunday, January 30, 2022 at 8:44:44 PM UTC-8, MetalGuru wrote:
> Remnants of the Precursors is a straight-up remake of 1993’s Master of Orion with some helpful interface changes, desperately needed exploit fixes and loophole closures, and the kind of artwork you’d expect in a modern release. All this is courtesy of Master of Orion fan and retired programmer Ray Fowler, who made Remnants of the Precursors available as a free download. You can get it here:
>
> https://rayfowler.itch.io/remnants-of-the-precursors

Wow! That looks amazing! I'd love to see something like that for MoM, which was my
favorite, but it had a bug when playing on impossible, the game was
really impossible as it would get to a point it would always crash, so I never completed
a game on that difficulty. I'm not sure I'd have the patience now, but if it had a
drastically updated UI I'd give it a try. None of the games inspired by MoM had it's magic
for me unfortunately.

> I must confess I have never played MoO or any of its sequels. Besides Civilization (played them all except VI) and SMAC very few 4X games have held my attention for more that a few hours. (Although Old World seems to be something special -- and incredibly complex with a very steep learning curve -- so I'll probably wait get it on a deep sale (free?) someday).

It's pay what you want, which is effectively free. I don't know if it'll hold up these days,
but it's number 2 or 3 (if you count Star Control II as 4x) for me, well worth at least
trying.

> Have fun, boys.

I'm have too many games to play/try right now and not sure if it will hold up for me
as some of the really old favorites of mine haven't held my interest on their
umpteenth play the last few years. The updates might make it. I'll try to
keep it in mind.

- Justisaur

Re: Remnants of the Precursors has been released (free Master of Orion remake)

<qd1gvgtriblch3f8djttailfq13tqkpcmo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6080&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6080

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 10:57:25 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Mon, 31 Jan 2022 15:57 UTC

On Sun, 30 Jan 2022 20:44:43 -0800 (PST), MetalGuru
<themetabaron@gmail.com> wrote:

>Remnants of the Precursors is a straight-up remake of 1993’s
>Master of Orion with some helpful interface changes,
>desperately needed exploit fixes and loophole closures, and the
>kind of artwork you’d expect in a modern release. All this is
>courtesy of Master of Orion fan and retired programmer
>Ray Fowler, who made Remnants of the Precursors available
>as a free download. You can get it here:
>https://rayfowler.itch.io/remnants-of-the-precursors

Interesting, although not altogether appealing to me, largely
/because/ of the updates made to the visuals. There's something... I
dunno, more honest? ... about the chunky graphics of the original
that works well with its early-90s interface. The smooth, streamlined
appearance of this remake just rubs me raw. I'll play MOO1 into the
wee hours of the morning despite its archaic graphics, but this
reboot? I think I'll pass.

But what do I know; I'm a curmudgeon just trying to keep those darn
kids off my lawn. ;-)

Re: Remnants of the Precursors has been released (free Master of Orion remake)

<7bafef08-0f25-45c3-851c-f5cfacd48b18n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6083&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6083

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 13:12:14 -0800 (PST)
Orion remake)
From: themetab...@gmail.com (MetalGuru)
 by: MetalGuru - Mon, 31 Jan 2022 21:12 UTC

On Monday, January 31, 2022 Justisaur wrote:
> On Sunday, January 30, 2022 MetalGuru wrote:

> > I must confess I have never played MoO or any of its sequels. Besides Civilization (played them all except VI) and SMAC very few 4X games have held my attention for more that a few hours. (Although Old World seems to be something special -- and incredibly complex with a very steep learning curve -- so I'll probably wait get it on a deep sale (free?) someday).

> It's pay what you want, which is effectively free. I don't know if it'll hold up these days,
> but it's number 2 or 3 (if you count Star Control II as 4x) for me, well worth at least
> trying.

I think you misunderstood me, I was talking about getting "Old World" some day which is still in early access - release date Q2 2022. But if you know where to get it right now I'd love to give it a whirl. This bit “The new 4X game from Soren Johnson, the lead designer of Civilization IV...combines 4X design with storytelling akin to the Crusader Kings series.” sounds mighty interesting to me.

There are lots of OW reviews already out though, including this one from PC gamer:

https://www.pcgamer.com/old-world-review/

Spoiler: 87/100 :)

Re: Remnants of the Precursors has been released (free Master of Orion remake)

<sta1bk$uqi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6084&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6084

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Orion remake)
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 17:11:18 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 01:11 UTC

On 1/31/2022 7:57 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2022 20:44:43 -0800 (PST), MetalGuru
> <themetabaron@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Remnants of the Precursors is a straight-up remake of 1993’s
>> Master of Orion with some helpful interface changes,
>> desperately needed exploit fixes and loophole closures, and the
>> kind of artwork you’d expect in a modern release. All this is
>> courtesy of Master of Orion fan and retired programmer
>> Ray Fowler, who made Remnants of the Precursors available
>> as a free download. You can get it here:
>> https://rayfowler.itch.io/remnants-of-the-precursors
>
> Interesting, although not altogether appealing to me, largely
> /because/ of the updates made to the visuals. There's something... I
> dunno, more honest? ... about the chunky graphics of the original
> that works well with its early-90s interface. The smooth, streamlined
> appearance of this remake just rubs me raw. I'll play MOO1 into the
> wee hours of the morning despite its archaic graphics, but this
> reboot? I think I'll pass.
>
> But what do I know; I'm a curmudgeon just trying to keep those darn
> kids off my lawn. ;-)

Or in this case those darn starships.

dirty old man.

Re: Remnants of the Precursors has been released (free Master of Orion remake)

<stauug$l1l$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6087&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6087

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Orion remake)
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 09:36:14 +0000
 by: JAB - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 09:36 UTC

On 31/01/2022 21:12, MetalGuru wrote:
> On Monday, January 31, 2022 Justisaur wrote:
>> On Sunday, January 30, 2022 MetalGuru wrote:
>
>>> I must confess I have never played MoO or any of its sequels. Besides Civilization (played them all except VI) and SMAC very few 4X games have held my attention for more that a few hours. (Although Old World seems to be something special -- and incredibly complex with a very steep learning curve -- so I'll probably wait get it on a deep sale (free?) someday).
>
>> It's pay what you want, which is effectively free. I don't know if it'll hold up these days,
>> but it's number 2 or 3 (if you count Star Control II as 4x) for me, well worth at least
>> trying.
>
> I think you misunderstood me, I was talking about getting "Old World" some day which is still in early access - release date Q2 2022. But if you know where to get it right now I'd love to give it a whirl. This bit “The new 4X game from Soren Johnson, the lead designer of Civilization IV...combines 4X design with storytelling akin to the Crusader Kings series.” sounds mighty interesting to me.
>
> There are lots of OW reviews already out though, including this one from PC gamer:
>
> https://www.pcgamer.com/old-world-review/
>
> Spoiler: 87/100 :)

Sounds interesting as one of the things I like about Crusader Kings is
that it's a much about strategy as it is about writing a story for your
Kingdom.

Re: Remnants of the Precursors has been released (free Master of Orion remake)

<ab8679e8-9f03-44b0-aca0-3ebbc6ebfaf0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6090&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6090

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 03:27:31 -0800 (PST)
Orion remake)
From: themetab...@gmail.com (MetalGuru)
 by: MetalGuru - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 11:27 UTC

On Monday, January 31, 2022 at 4:12:15 PM UTC-5, MetalGuru wrote:

> I think you misunderstood me, I was talking about getting "Old World" some day which is still in early access - release date Q2 2022.

That's not true, sorry - the game is already out as an Epic exclusive for now, and will probably appear on Steam sometime later this year.

Re: Remnants of the Precursors has been released (free Master of Orion remake)

<stdh7i$uj6$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6113&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6113

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Orion remake)
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 09:00:32 +0000
 by: JAB - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 09:00 UTC

On 02/02/2022 03:54, PW wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Feb 2022 09:36:14 +0000, JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:

>>> I think you misunderstood me, I was talking about getting "Old World" some day which is still in early access - release date Q2 2022. But if you know where to get it right now I'd love to give it a whirl. This bit “The new 4X game from Soren Johnson, the lead designer of Civilization IV...combines 4X design with storytelling akin to the Crusader Kings series.” sounds mighty interesting to me.
>>>
>>> There are lots of OW reviews already out though, including this one from PC gamer:
>>>
>>> https://www.pcgamer.com/old-world-review/
>>>
>>> Spoiler: 87/100 :)
>>>

>> Sounds interesting as one of the things I like about Crusader Kings is
>> that it's a much about strategy as it is about writing a story for your
>> Kingdom.
>
> *--
>
> All right. I guess I should actually play III. I didn't even make it
> through the tutorial because it was too much and too complicated. I
> figured I had no chance playing the actual game :-)

For CK:II there is a nice little tutorial based around Ireland but yes,
the UI isn't exactly the most obvious.