From: brads...@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Auto Repair
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 08:04:23 -0800
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 16:04 UTC

Running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, 19044.1586. All of sudden I am having
automatic repairs occur on the startup of the computer. I have been doing
some research on the internet but so far no workable solution. Does windows
log somewhere the reason for the automatic repair?
--
<Bill>

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska

Re: Auto Repair

<t0qhb2$8ai$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60636&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60636

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Auto Repair
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 13:10:57 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 17:10 UTC

On 3/15/2022 12:04 PM, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> Running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, 19044.1586. All of sudden I am having
> automatic repairs occur on the startup of the computer. I have been doing
> some research on the internet but so far no workable solution. Does windows
> log somewhere the reason for the automatic repair?

All I can find are references to this file,
but nobody gives an example of what is in there :-/

C:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt

OK, here is one.

I have also checked the SrtTrail.txt file which says:

Root cause found:
A recently serviced boot binary is corrupt.
Repair action: Uninstall latest LCU
Result: Failed. Error code = 0x905

The scenario would be, that it was Patch Tuesday,
a patch was being applied, and on the reboot, the installation
procedure did not finish.

You can boot the Windows 10 Installer DVD, and instead of
installing, there is a Troubleshooting option. In there is
a Command Prompt window.

The installer DVD, uses its boot.wim to boot. It prepares a RAMDrive
(a small one), copies boot.wim into the RAMDrive, and gives that
drive the letter X: . This leaves the letter C: available for labeling
the HDD C: partition.

In Command Prompt

C: # change working drive letter to C:
dir # Try to verify this really is the C: drive. I leave a
# file called IM_WIN10.txt on the root of the C: partition
# and that's how I know I am on target.

DISM /image:c:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

That last command will only revert an update, if one is stuck.
If there is nothing in the pipe, the command has no effect.

Notice the "/image:c:\" portion of the command. This means the
command is an "offline" command. You are booting from X: (offline)
and making a repair to C: (the online OS, if it would boot). That
part of the command, is how you know this is an offline invocation,
and you make it point to the OS needing repair.

Paul

Re: Auto Repair

<j9ci1dFs72hU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60643&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60643

From: brads...@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 14:24:43 -0800
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 22:24 UTC

Paul wrote:
> On 3/15/2022 12:04 PM, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
>> Running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, 19044.1586. All of sudden I am having
>> automatic repairs occur on the startup of the computer. I have been
>> doing some research on the internet but so far no workable solution.
>> Does windows log somewhere the reason for the automatic repair?
>>

> All I can find are references to this file,
> but nobody gives an example of what is in there :-/
>
> C:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt
>
> OK, here is one.
>
> I have also checked the SrtTrail.txt file which says:
>
> Root cause found:
> A recently serviced boot binary is corrupt.
> Repair action: Uninstall latest LCU
> Result: Failed. Error code = 0x905
>
> The scenario would be, that it was Patch Tuesday,
> a patch was being applied, and on the reboot, the installation
> procedure did not finish.
>
> You can boot the Windows 10 Installer DVD, and instead of
> installing, there is a Troubleshooting option. In there is
> a Command Prompt window.
>
> The installer DVD, uses its boot.wim to boot. It prepares a RAMDrive
> (a small one), copies boot.wim into the RAMDrive, and gives that
> drive the letter X: . This leaves the letter C: available for labeling
> the HDD C: partition.
>
> In Command Prompt
>
> C: # change working drive letter to C:
> dir # Try to verify this really is the C: drive. I leave a
> # file called IM_WIN10.txt on the root of the C:
> partition # and that's how I know I am on target.
>
> DISM /image:c:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions
>
> That last command will only revert an update, if one is stuck.
> If there is nothing in the pipe, the command has no effect.
>
> Notice the "/image:c:\" portion of the command. This means the
> command is an "offline" command. You are booting from X: (offline)
> and making a repair to C: (the online OS, if it would boot). That
> part of the command, is how you know this is an offline invocation,
> and you make it point to the OS needing repair.

> Paul

I am going to save this. I did not have an Srt folder or file. I will have
to create a DVD and/or flash boot with mediacreationtool hopefully from the
iso.

<Bill>

Re: Auto Repair

<t0r9e3$c66$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60644&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60644

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 17:02:10 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 00:02 UTC

Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>> On 3/15/2022 12:04 PM, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
>>> Running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, 19044.1586. All of sudden I am having
>>> automatic repairs occur on the startup of the computer. I have been
>>> doing some research on the internet but so far no workable solution.
>>> Does windows log somewhere the reason for the automatic repair?
>>>

>> All I can find are references to this file,
>> but nobody gives an example of what is in there :-/
>>
>> C:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt
>>
>> OK, here is one.
>>
>> I have also checked the SrtTrail.txt file which says:
>>
>> Root cause found:
>> A recently serviced boot binary is corrupt.
>> Repair action: Uninstall latest LCU
>> Result: Failed. Error code = 0x905
>>
>> The scenario would be, that it was Patch Tuesday,
>> a patch was being applied, and on the reboot, the installation
>> procedure did not finish.
>>
>> You can boot the Windows 10 Installer DVD, and instead of
>> installing, there is a Troubleshooting option. In there is
>> a Command Prompt window.
>>
>> The installer DVD, uses its boot.wim to boot. It prepares a RAMDrive
>> (a small one), copies boot.wim into the RAMDrive, and gives that
>> drive the letter X: . This leaves the letter C: available for labeling
>> the HDD C: partition.
>>
>> In Command Prompt
>>
>> C: # change working drive letter to C:
>> dir # Try to verify this really is the C: drive. I leave a
>> # file called IM_WIN10.txt on the root of the C:
>> partition # and that's how I know I am on target.
>>
>> DISM /image:c:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions
>>
>> That last command will only revert an update, if one is stuck.
>> If there is nothing in the pipe, the command has no effect.
>>
>> Notice the "/image:c:\" portion of the command. This means the
>> command is an "offline" command. You are booting from X: (offline)
>> and making a repair to C: (the online OS, if it would boot). That
>> part of the command, is how you know this is an offline invocation,
>> and you make it point to the OS needing repair.

>> Paul
>
> I am going to save this. I did not have an Srt folder or file. I will have
> to create a DVD and/or flash boot with mediacreationtool hopefully from the
> iso.
>
> <Bill>

Few do, it's normally caused by valid BSOD errors.
Boot from MCT created USB or DVD media
- create on media greater than 5GB(i.e. 8GB USB or dual layer DVD)

--