"To YOU I'm an atheist; to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition." -- Woody Allen

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: How do I throttle back the CPU useage?

SubjectAuthor
* How do I throttle back the CPU useage?Peter Jason
+- Re: How do I throttle back the CPU useage?Paul
+- Re: How do I throttle back the CPU useage?Rene Lamontagne
+* Re: How do I throttle back the CPU useage?Chris
|+* Re: How do I throttle back the CPU useage?Paul
||`- Re: How do I throttle back the CPU useage?J. P. Gilliver (John)
|+* Re: How do I throttle back the CPU useage?Chris
||+- Re: How do I throttle back the CPU useage?Paul
||`* Re: How do I throttle back the CPU useage?Andy Burns
|| `* Re: How do I throttle back the CPU useage?Paul
||  `- Re: How do I throttle back the CPU useage?Paul
|`- Re: How do I throttle back the CPU useage?Piet
+- Re: How do I throttle back the CPU useage?Paul
`- Re: How do I throttle back the CPU useage?milsabords

1
How do I throttle back the CPU useage?

<ud8l2ht2plqlaqf9iisan0k973i1q79d7v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60421&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60421

From: pj...@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: How do I throttle back the CPU useage?
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 12:52:18 +1100
 by: Peter Jason - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 01:52 UTC

My computer has the following:

************
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8559U CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.71 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
Device ID 23FD84B1-94B2-49FC-BC95-3B1A5269F548
Product ID 00330-71386-66014-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
************

When transcoding a movie the CPU indicates 90% - 100% useage, which is
a bit high.

The transcoding software gives the option of using only "one core" and
this I have done, and now the CPU useage indicates about 30%, which is
better.

My question is.....

....is that "one core" still using 100% of that "one core"? Or is the
useage spread over all 8 cores?

Please help, P

Re: How do I throttle back the CPU useage?

<t0ebts$1f5p$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60423&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60423

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: How do I throttle back the CPU useage?
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 21:25:01 -0500
 by: Paul - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 02:25 UTC

On 3/10/2022 8:52 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
> My computer has the following:
>
> ************
> Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8559U CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.71 GHz
> Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
> Device ID 23FD84B1-94B2-49FC-BC95-3B1A5269F548
> Product ID 00330-71386-66014-AAOEM
> System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
> ************
>
> When transcoding a movie the CPU indicates 90% - 100% useage, which is
> a bit high.
>
> The transcoding software gives the option of using only "one core" and
> this I have done, and now the CPU useage indicates about 30%, which is
> better.
>

> My question is.....
>
> ...is that "one core" still using 100% of that "one core"? Or is the
> useage spread over all 8 cores?
>
> Please help, P

It would not read "30%" unless you had turned off Hyperthreading.

You claim it has a setting to use "one core" -- the Task Manager display
should reflect your choice.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/137979/intel-core-i78559u-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-50-ghz.html

Total Cores 4
Total Threads 8
Max Turbo Frequency 4.50 GHz
Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 Frequency 4.50 GHz
Processor Base Frequency 2.70 GHz

The Task Manager graph can be set to a window for each virtual core.
That would be eight windows with Hyperthreading enabled. This picture is
old, but is to jog your memory regarding setting up Task Manager properly.

https://i.stack.imgur.com/A3lu7.png

Each time the scheduler runs, it has the ability to move
an executable from virtual core to virtual core.

This is why the graph is so ridiculous-looking. Shit is moving
all over the place, making it difficult for the user to "envision"
how 1 core is being used.

Task Manager has the ability to kill processes. There's a menu.

But in addition, there is a setting called "Affinity". This
makes the process "hug certain cores". You can for example,
take your program and bind it to CPU Core 0 via Affinity setting.
Then, the scheduler cannot move it.

CPU0 X
CPU1
CPU2
CPU3
CPU4
CPU5
CPU6
CPU7

Well, great, you'd say. But sometimes it needs a bit of leeway. If
you bind to two cores, the program may work a bit better. You have
to test this, by benching.

CPU0 X
CPU1
CPU2 X
CPU3
CPU4
CPU5
CPU6
CPU7

With that setting, the ridiculous behavior continues, but the process
can only move between two cores. 0 and 2 in the example.

Remember that there are really only four cores.

CPU0 \___ One core plays these two roles, using two register sets
CPU1 /
CPU2 \___ One core plays these two roles, using two register sets
CPU3 /
CPU4 \___ One core plays these two roles, using two register sets
CPU5 /
CPU6 \___ One core plays these two roles, using two register sets
CPU7 /

Sometimes, you may be puzzled enough at the behavior, to not really
know whether the numeric assignments are "in order" or not. That's one
of the problems with Affinity assignment -- did the Microsoft employees
do their jobs properly ?

Why are there two register sets on a core ?

Well, if one thread of execution "blocks" waiting for the memory
controller to read a cache-line-sized chunk, the other thread takes
over usage of the core. Only if *both* threads block, does the core
"stall" and produce nothing but NoOPs for output.

You don't really have 8 cores. You have 4 real cores, plus a
small performance boost caused by the avoidance of stall by the usage
of a second register set and second thread of execution.

Cheaper Intel processors look like this. HT is turned off permanently.
This is an Intel 4C 4T processor.

CPU0

CPU1

CPU2

CPU3

On a good motherboard, the BIOS has a ton of settings inside,
some of which can modify the power usage as well as reduce
the compute rate. Giving the opportunity for tradeoffs.

On mine, I turned off Turbo on the one that was overheating.

On the "low power" one I just got, "she runs full blast", but
there are occasions where it is evident the software is
non-optimal for the platform. Memtest86+ for example, one
of the tests runs like a slug :-) So much for the bullshit
notion of "full blast'.

HTH,
Paul

Re: How do I throttle back the CPU useage?

<j8vqt3Femb9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60424&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60424

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 20:36:20 -0600
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 02:36 UTC

On 2022-03-10 7:52 p.m., Peter Jason wrote:
> My computer has the following:
>
> ************
> Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8559U CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.71 GHz
> Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
> Device ID 23FD84B1-94B2-49FC-BC95-3B1A5269F548
> Product ID 00330-71386-66014-AAOEM
> System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
> ************
>
> When transcoding a movie the CPU indicates 90% - 100% useage, which is
> a bit high.
>
> The transcoding software gives the option of using only "one core" and
> this I have done, and now the CPU useage indicates about 30%, which is
> better.
>

> My question is.....
>
> ...is that "one core" still using 100% of that "one core"? Or is the
> useage spread over all 8 cores?
>
> Please help, P

Open Task Manager, choose Performance tab and all your cores will show
and you can monitor their usage, also memory and drive usage.

Rene

Re: How do I throttle back the CPU useage?

<t0f05g$6p5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60427&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60427

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 08:10:25 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:LodaWH74dBrDSdWAcUKvfVGL72g=
 by: Chris - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 08:10 UTC

Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com> wrote:
> My computer has the following:
>
> ************
> Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8559U CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.71 GHz
> Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
> Device ID 23FD84B1-94B2-49FC-BC95-3B1A5269F548
> Product ID 00330-71386-66014-AAOEM
> System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
> ************
>
> When transcoding a movie the CPU indicates 90% - 100% useage, which is
> a bit high.
>
> The transcoding software gives the option of using only "one core" and
> this I have done, and now the CPU useage indicates about 30%, which is
> better.

Why is it better? It'll now take 3x longer.

> My question is.....
>
> ...is that "one core" still using 100% of that "one core"? Or is the
> useage spread over all 8 cores?

Check using task manager and the detailed view under processes. On mobile
so doing it from memory, but something like that.

Either way it won't matter, however. Why do you worry about it being 100%?

Re: How do I throttle back the CPU useage?

<t0fc93$l5j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60430&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60430

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 06:37:05 -0500
 by: Paul - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 11:37 UTC

On 3/10/2022 8:52 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
> My computer has the following:
>
> ************
> Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8559U CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.71 GHz
> Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
> Device ID 23FD84B1-94B2-49FC-BC95-3B1A5269F548
> Product ID 00330-71386-66014-AAOEM
> System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
> ************
>
> When transcoding a movie the CPU indicates 90% - 100% useage, which is
> a bit high.
>
> The transcoding software gives the option of using only "one core" and
> this I have done, and now the CPU useage indicates about 30%, which is
> better.
>

> My question is.....
>
> ...is that "one core" still using 100% of that "one core"? Or is the
> useage spread over all 8 cores?
>
> Please help, P

If it was using one core, as the software claims, then it
would not read 30%. As a 4C 8T, each core is worth 12.5%,
so if "one cores worth" was being metered out, it would
register 12.5% in task manager (as measured for the whole
CPU in one CPU graph window).

If Hyperthreading was actually turned off, one core would
be worth 25% and a measured value of 30%, would give 25% for
computation, and 5% for other background loads (disk I/O,
the usual OS activity).

If it's a certain NUC, there are six BIOS pages here
with settings, including a Power preference (has a low
power option as well as a high performance option).

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC8i7BEH-i7-8559U-Mini-PC-Review.360356.0.html

Performance page - untick Hyperthreading for a slight saving
- that cuts virtual cores from 8 to 4 (down to the primary cores in
the accounting sense)

Power page - "low power enabled"

Save the settings then test again.

The "low power enabled" setting may avoid the usage of Turbo.

Some visual BIOS, when you hold the mouse over a field,
a balloon dialog tells you what the setting is for and
may reveal a secret. BIOS in the past were filled with
baloney, if a setting said "Bafflegab ON", the balloon
help would say "turns the Bafflegab on". The tradition
is, the BIOS never gives away secrets, but my X79 here,
for a change they actually explained a few things. The
balloon text was different than the settings text.

Paul

Re: How do I throttle back the CPU useage?

<t0hpj8$p13$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60467&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60467

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 04:36:40 -0500
 by: Paul - Sat, 12 Mar 2022 09:36 UTC

On 3/11/2022 4:37 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2022 08:10:25 -0000 (UTC), Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com> wrote:
>>> My computer has the following:
>>>
>>> ************
>>> Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8559U CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.71 GHz
>>> Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
>>> Device ID 23FD84B1-94B2-49FC-BC95-3B1A5269F548
>>> Product ID 00330-71386-66014-AAOEM
>>> System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
>>> ************
>>>
>>> When transcoding a movie the CPU indicates 90% - 100% useage, which is
>>> a bit high.
>>>
>>> The transcoding software gives the option of using only "one core" and
>>> this I have done, and now the CPU useage indicates about 30%, which is
>>> better.
>>
>> Why is it better? It'll now take 3x longer.
>
> It does take longer but I'm afraid I'll damage the CPU.
>>

>>> My question is.....
>>>
>>> ...is that "one core" still using 100% of that "one core"? Or is the
>>> useage spread over all 8 cores?
>>
>> Check using task manager and the detailed view under processes. On mobile
>> so doing it from memory, but something like that.
>>
>> Either way it won't matter, however. Why do you worry about it being 100%?
>
> There's an error message saying to "reduce the apps open"

We would need more information than this, to have some
idea what you're dealing with.

Application doing the transcoding ? Is it Handbrake ?

Is the error message coming from the transcoder, or from the OS ("out of RAM") ?

What does Task Manager say ?

We need the *exact word for word text* of the error message.
Do not paraphrase or put it in your own words. Sometimes
if an error message has spelling mistakes, those are
like *gold* because a Google search on a mis-spelled
error message is very very specific.

The machine has a quantity of RAM ? Are you out of RAM ?

The GPU can accelerate some aspects of the operation.
Has the GPU run out of gas, for what it's been asked
to do ? For example, my integrated AMD GPU in the APU,
is limited to 4GB of texture memory (shared with the
system).

As far as I can remember, that processor you quote, is
part of an Intel NUC you bought, and it may be the
processor CPU and GPU chiplets which act as resources
for the transcoding job you're doing.

Handbrake is great, if there's a proper profile for
something you were doing, which makes it a push button
operation. For things that need adjustment and tweaking,
there is FFMPEG.

Paul

Re: How do I throttle back the CPU useage?

<t0ig57$2i4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60479&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60479

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 16:01:43 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:B1jGHzVytqHIak3tz2MhgmetbIU=
 by: Chris - Sat, 12 Mar 2022 16:01 UTC

Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2022 08:10:25 -0000 (UTC), Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com> wrote:
>>> My computer has the following:
>>>
>>> ************
>>> Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8559U CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.71 GHz
>>> Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
>>> Device ID 23FD84B1-94B2-49FC-BC95-3B1A5269F548
>>> Product ID 00330-71386-66014-AAOEM
>>> System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
>>> ************
>>>
>>> When transcoding a movie the CPU indicates 90% - 100% useage, which is
>>> a bit high.
>>>
>>> The transcoding software gives the option of using only "one core" and
>>> this I have done, and now the CPU useage indicates about 30%, which is
>>> better.
>>
>> Why is it better? It'll now take 3x longer.
>
> It does take longer but I'm afraid I'll damage the CPU.

That's only possible if the CPU overheats. Which is only really possible if
you have inadequate cooling. Check the CPU temperature in task manager and
as long as it's below 75 °C it's fine.

>>> My question is.....
>>>
>>> ...is that "one core" still using 100% of that "one core"? Or is the
>>> useage spread over all 8 cores?
>>
>> Check using task manager and the detailed view under processes. On mobile
>> so doing it from memory, but something like that.
>>
>> Either way it won't matter, however. Why do you worry about it being 100%?
>
> There's an error message saying to "reduce the apps open"

That could be memory related not CPU.

Re: How do I throttle back the CPU useage?

<k$FZoHWW0NLiFw9M@a.a>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60499&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60499

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 17:49:10 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Sat, 12 Mar 2022 17:49 UTC

On Sat, 12 Mar 2022 at 04:36:40, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote (my
>On 3/11/2022 4:37 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 Mar 2022 08:10:25 -0000 (UTC), Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com> wrote:
[]

>>> Why is it better? It'll now take 3x longer.

At least two reasons: 1. depending on what priority it grabs, it _can_
make the PC somewhat unresponsive, and 2.

>> It does take longer but I'm afraid I'll damage the CPU.

Yes, only if inadequate cooling - but that's not unknown, especially on
a laptop that's built up a lot of fluff. (PJ didn't say - yes, you can
get laptops with an i7, though I don't know if the -8559U means it
isn't.) I'm usually aware of something ("Everything" used to though
hasn't for a while, Firefox and Chrome, ...) going hoggy when my
internal fan goes berserk.

(Dunno, but I'd guess it does what it says.)
[]
>We would need more information than this, to have some
>idea what you're dealing with.
>
>Application doing the transcoding ? Is it Handbrake ?

Yes, I was surprised we hadn't had Mayayana/VanguardLH (I forget which
one it is who usually does this) pop up saying something like "don't
just say 'transcoding software'"!
[]
>Handbrake is great, if there's a proper profile for
>something you were doing, which makes it a push button
>operation. For things that need adjustment and tweaking,
>there is FFMPEG.
>
> Paul

If you're Paul (-:

1. If it's green, it's biology
2. If it smells, it's chemistry
3. If it doesn't work, it's physics.

Re: How do I throttle back the CPU useage?

<t0m499$mm3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60584&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60584

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 21:03:37 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 01:03 UTC

On 3/13/2022 6:18 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2022 16:01:43 -0000 (UTC), Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com> wrote:

>>> It does take longer but I'm afraid I'll damage the CPU.
>>
>> That's only possible if the CPU overheats. Which is only really possible if
>> you have inadequate cooling. Check the CPU temperature in task manager and
>> as long as it's below 75 °C it's fine.
>
> I'll check this, but the computer also runs the CCTV system here which
> uses 5-8% of the CPU. I kept getting the "reduce apps" window when
> the movie trans was operating.

Then it's the CCTV recording application which is asking
you to knock it off with the transcoder :-)

The CCTV recorder could be dropping frames, and that's why
it feels it has the right to complain.

Otherwise, for applications competing head-to-head for
cycles, there's no need for them to worry. It's only
applications with "real time performance requirements"
that will whine like that.

Paul

Re: How do I throttle back the CPU useage?

<j98dr0F3la4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60591&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60591

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 08:48:31 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 08:48 UTC

Peter Jason wrote:

> he computer also runs the CCTV system here which
> uses 5-8% of the CPU. I kept getting the "reduce apps" window when
> the movie trans was operating.

In task manager, details tab, if you right-click the "greedy" process, you can
set priority and reduce that process's priority below normal, you can also set
affinity, so that instead of being able to run on all cores of your CPU, you
limit it to e.g. 2 or 3 cores. That should help other processes get more of a
look-in ...

Re: How do I throttle back the CPU useage?

<t0n5fd$k9m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60592&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60592

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 06:30:04 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 10:30 UTC

On 3/14/2022 4:48 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
> Peter Jason wrote:
>
>> he computer also runs the CCTV system here which
>> uses 5-8% of the CPU.    I kept getting the "reduce apps" window when
>> the movie trans was operating.
>
> In task manager, details tab, if you right-click the "greedy" process, you can set priority and reduce that process's priority below normal, you can also set affinity, so that instead of being able to run on all cores of your CPU, you limit it to e.g. 2 or 3 cores.  That should help other processes get more of a look-in ...

I've installed the program, and although it is still not
processing my video properly (it only seems to be
processing the audio stream), it does look like Affinity
in Task Manager on the single process will take care of it.
I even tried it, to make sure it did work.

You can drop it to whatever number of cores you want.
One core if you want, while it's running. (Not all programs
tolerate this, and this isn't as simple as it might seem.
You can have stuff blow up on you by fooling around, while
some system processes don't allow this sort of editing.
There was no reason to suspect this one of blowing up,
because it has a single EXE and a set of AVCodec DLLs
in the program folder. The engine is in the main program,
and while it is transcoding, the user interface even stops
responding - how gauche.)

Since mine was not processing video, but only audio,
it was reading my SSD at 360MB/sec, which may account
for disk starvation for other processes that have
their own requirements.

Using Affinity should cure both problems at the
same time. Dropping number of cores being used,
reduces power consumption, increases CPU available
to other tasks, and reduces disk I/O done by the transcoder program.

Once I get it working, I'm sure the framerate will plummet
and the resource situation will change (not as much SSD I/O).

Paul

Re: How do I throttle back the CPU useage?

<t0na4c$1oss$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60595&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60595

From: www.godf...@opt-in.invalid (Piet)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 12:49:34 +0100
 by: Piet - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 11:49 UTC

Peter Jason wrote:
> Chris wrote
>> Peter Jason wrote:
>>> My computer has the following:
>>> Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8559U CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.71 GHz
>>> When transcoding a movie the CPU indicates 90% - 100% useage, which
>>> is a bit high.
>>
>> Why do you worry about it being 100%?
>
> There's an error message saying to "reduce the apps open"

Which probably means "reduce the number of active processes".
An open app doesn't necessarily load that CPU, or may add no
more than a tiny fraction to the load.

What really matters is the CPU temperature and the temperature
of each core. Your CPU has a TDP of 28W, so your system must be
a laptop, and a max. temperature of 100°C.
A CPU, if properly cooled, should have no problem running at
100% load for a prolonged time.
I frequently do video transcoding, with the CPU running at 100%
for hours. On my previous desktop the CPU's core temperatures
reached 90°C, with peaks of 95°C. The max. CPU temperature was
105°C according to the specs, and I've used the pc many years
without any problem. My new (well, couple of years old) pc has
better cooling, and the core temperatures when transcoding are
around 75°C, with peaks of 80°C. Nothing to worry about.

I use speccy to measure temperatures and other things, but it's
a rather old app, so it may not work properly with newer h/w.
And on one of my other pc's it gives absurd values. Even so you
might want to give it a try.

-p

Re: How do I throttle back the CPU useage?

<t0q0vl$fhk$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60628&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60628

From: nos...@nospam.org (milsabords)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 13:31:48 +0100
 by: milsabords - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 12:31 UTC

Peter Jason avait écrit le 11/03/2022 :
> My computer has the following:

> ************
> Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8559U CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.71 GHz
> Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
> Device ID 23FD84B1-94B2-49FC-BC95-3B1A5269F548
> Product ID 00330-71386-66014-AAOEM
> System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
> ************

> When transcoding a movie the CPU indicates 90% - 100% useage, which is
> a bit high.

> The transcoding software gives the option of using only "one core" and
> this I have done, and now the CPU useage indicates about 30%, which is
> better.

> My question is.....

> ...is that "one core" still using 100% of that "one core"? Or is the
> useage spread over all 8 cores?

> Please help, P

Hi,

You may try Park Control: https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/

Re: How do I throttle back the CPU useage?

<t0rug8$f85$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60645&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60645

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 02:01:44 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 06:01 UTC

On 3/15/2022 7:44 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2022 06:30:04 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
> wrote:

>>> In task manager, details tab, if you right-click the "greedy" process, you can set priority and reduce that process's priority below normal, you can also set affinity, so that instead of being able to run on all cores of your CPU, you limit it to e.g. 2 or 3 cores.  That should help other processes get more of a look-in ...
>>
>> I've installed the program, and although it is still not
>> processing my video properly (it only seems to be
>> processing the audio stream), it does look like Affinity
>> in Task Manager on the single process will take care of it.
>> I even tried it, to make sure it did work.
>>
>> You can drop it to whatever number of cores you want.
>> One core if you want, while it's running. (Not all programs
>> tolerate this, and this isn't as simple as it might seem.
>> You can have stuff blow up on you by fooling around, while
>> some system processes don't allow this sort of editing.
>> There was no reason to suspect this one of blowing up,
>> because it has a single EXE and a set of AVCodec DLLs
>> in the program folder. The engine is in the main program,
>> and while it is transcoding, the user interface even stops
>> responding - how gauche.)
>>
>> Since mine was not processing video, but only audio,
>> it was reading my SSD at 360MB/sec, which may account
>> for disk starvation for other processes that have
>> their own requirements.
>>
>> Using Affinity should cure both problems at the
>> same time. Dropping number of cores being used,
>> reduces power consumption, increases CPU available
>> to other tasks, and reduces disk I/O done by the transcoder program.
>>
>> Once I get it working, I'm sure the framerate will plummet
>> and the resource situation will change (not as much SSD I/O).
>>
>> Paul
>>

> I have checked this out with the "one core" option in the software and
> the Task Manager gives this....
> https://postimg.cc/jDHZzD1P
> ...so I assume the CPU useage is balanced over the 8 cores.
>
> Is there adjustment for "balanced"?

I finished my test (finally).

I ran my "content" through Handbrake first. This made
a format that was "compliant enough" for the VSO program.
VSO converted a 1.5GB MP4 single file, into a 4.7GB MPEG2 DVD compliant
set of files (with the 1GB max per chapter).

Now, what's of minor interest, is if your hardware has "decoder acceleration"
(like Quicksync on your Intel processor), then the decoding of the
source (MP4 in my case) is done by the accelerator and not by CPU cycles.
Decoding is the first half of any transcoding procedure.

However, the VSO software, on the CPU 2-pass software encoding side, it uses
less CPU and will not "speed up" the transcoding process. The end result,
is the CPU runs a tiny bit cooler.

But this observation is merely an annoyance, and does not answer your original plea.
It is not enough of a difference, to solve problems. What I observe
is just a strange counter-intuitive behavior.

*******

You want Affinity control !!!

Why ?

Because it is absolute and policed by the OS scheduler.

VSO can feed you all sorts of bullshit, that does not live up
to the description.

Affinity will solve the problem, I assure you.

Do you see what someone is doing to Firefox here ?
They're in Task Manager (control-alt-delete, if you can't find the menu for it).

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Processor-Affinity-in-Windows-10-600x517.jpg?sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiIqpzX-Mn2AhXHGs0KHacGBmwQ_B16BAgJEAI

They right-click the process in need of taming. Click on the
All Processor box first, to "clear" all the boxes. Then, just
click the *one* box, to have the program run on one core. It
does not matter whether VSO runs on CPU0 or on CPU7, just pick
*one* of the eight cores and click it. VSO cannot escape from
the "cage" you construct by using affinity.

This limits loading to one core, but as an added benefit, does
not allow migration off the core. It makes it much easier to
monitor in the Task Manager Performance view.

(The rest of the article is here, but the picture above is enough)

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/processor-affinity-windows

There is also a launcher program, which will start a multi-threaded
program so it is forced to stay on core 0. This is fun of course,
but requires more messing around so the menus launch the thing
with the restriction in place.

Whereas the Task Manager method, works, and is easy to understand.

And you can change the Affinity setting more than once.

Paul