When we write programs that "learn", it turns out we do and they don't.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?

SubjectAuthor
* Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?micky
+* Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?Andy Burns
|`* Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?micky
| `- Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?Carlos E.R.
+* Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?Herbert Kleebauer
|+* Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?YK
||+* Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?micky
|||`* Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?YK
||| `* Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?micky
|||  `* Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?YK
|||   `- Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?micky
||`* Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?VanguardLH
|| `- Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?YK
|+* Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?VanguardLH
||+- Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?Herbert Kleebauer
||`- Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?micky
|`* Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?micky
| `- Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?Ken Blake
+- Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?Unsteadyken
+- Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?Paul
+* Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?J. P. Gilliver (John)
|`* Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?micky
| `* Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?Char Jackson
|  `- Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?micky
+* Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?Carlos E.R.
|`- Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?micky
+* Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?VanguardLH
|`- Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?micky
`* Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?Frank Slootweg
 `* Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?nospam
  `- Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?Frank Slootweg

Pages:12
Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?

<u3b33ht2rr9j09bbtso4fbkcrvhetrtn42@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60647&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60647

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 11:28:09 +0200
 by: micky - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 09:28 UTC

Is there a way to add gps to a laptop? I'm traveling and I wish the
little map on the phone were bigger. I wish the map on the car radio
were bigger. Usually they are enough but sometimes no. And I don't want
staring at the map to make me a bad driver.

The map on the laptop is very good, but it doesn't show where I am and
it does't move when I move. So is there any way to add GPS or to have
a map that shows where I am (or where it is) and if possible. moves
along the map as we move?/

Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?

<j9dpmmF4q14U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60649&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60649

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 09:41:40 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 09:41 UTC

micky wrote:

> Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?

yes, e.g a bluetooth GPS dongle

> I'm traveling and I wish the
> little map on the phone were bigger. I wish the map on the car radio
> were bigger. Usually they are enough but sometimes no. And I don't want
> staring at the map to make me a bad driver.

Using a laptop while driving is almost certain to be a distraction

> The map on the laptop is very good, but it doesn't show where I am and
> it does't move when I move. So is there any way to add GPS or to have
> a map that shows where I am (or where it is) and if possible. moves
> along the map as we move?/

Don't think so with google maps on a PC, possibly with other map software.

Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?

<t0sdh0$4fg$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60651&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60651

From: kle...@unibwm.de (Herbert Kleebauer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 11:18:07 +0100
 by: Herbert Kleebauer - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 10:18 UTC

On 16.03.2022 10:28, micky wrote:

> Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?

Why not use Google to search for the keywords "laptop gps"?

For example:

https://www.amazon.com//dp/B07QRGK7ZK/

Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?

<MPG.3c9bca52306bfb649897ba@News.Individual.NET>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60652&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60652

From: unsteady...@gmail.com (Unsteadyken)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 10:20:37 -0000
 by: Unsteadyken - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 10:20 UTC

In article <u3b33ht2rr9j09bbtso4fbkcrvhetrtn42@4ax.com>,
micky says...

> Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?

Search for USB GPS Receiver.

--
Ken

Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?

<t0sjcl$10fk$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60653&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60653

From: youkidd...@yahoo.com (YK)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 07:58:14 -0400
 by: YK - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 11:58 UTC

On 3/16/2022 10:20 AM, Unsteadyken wrote:
> Search for USB GPS Receiver.

I think 'Micky' uses a random generator to bring up all these questions.
He doesn't even want an answer. He just wants to roil up the newsgroups.

This isn't the only newsgroup he does this random question generation on.
I think he does it for fun but we'd have to ask him why he does it.

Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?

<t0t15f$vbi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60655&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60655

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 11:53:19 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 15:53 UTC

On 3/16/2022 5:28 AM, micky wrote:
> Is there a way to add gps to a laptop? I'm traveling and I wish the
> little map on the phone were bigger. I wish the map on the car radio
> were bigger. Usually they are enough but sometimes no. And I don't want
> staring at the map to make me a bad driver.
>
> The map on the laptop is very good, but it doesn't show where I am and
> it does't move when I move. So is there any way to add GPS or to have
> a map that shows where I am (or where it is) and if possible. moves
> along the map as we move?/

The classical GPS interface is "serial at 9600 baud".

My computer room GPS, outputs around four messages a second.
And one of the messages is used for "time-of-day sync".

So not only does the GPS do location, it also has an
accurate timestamp.

This means a GPS could be fitted to a serial port.
That could be cumbersome looking.

But if a GPS module is tied to a USB serial chip,
then the two of them make a USB GPS module.

The receiver must have a "view of the constellation". It
won't work unless you're near a window, when you are in
the house. Mine sits inside the house, but only one
satellite gives a "green" signal, the second satellite
is a "yellow" signal, the other five are "red" signals
and no good. If I took the unit outdoors, it would
not be nearly that bad.

There are also remote antennas you can buy, a coax cable with
3.3V DC on it feeds the active antenna, which sits outside
your "container" and brings the signals inside to the main
GPS module. It's hard to say what location in a car would
be sufficient.

*******

This shows you the "hobby" version, so you can
see the major parts in it. There are commercial versions
where you can't see the gubbins inside it. The antenna
square may place a limit on how small it can be. If a
smaller antenna was used, it might not be nearly as sensitive
and not work on a window sill.

Some stuff about the antenna bit.

https://www.taoglas.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/Internal-GPS-Active-Patch-AntennaAPN-13-8-002.B.pdf

And an example of a hobby version.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/4279?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvtiwg_vK9gIVkSc4Ch2F3AvTEAAYAiAAEgLGI_D_BwE

This topic is mostly a waste of money, if purchased this
way. You want a product with decent software.

Paul

Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?

<vTxbjKBaMkMiFwX0@a.a>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60658&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60658

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 20:05:46 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 20:05 UTC

On Wed, 16 Mar 2022 at 11:28:09, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote
(my responses usually FOLLOW):
>Is there a way to add gps to a laptop? I'm traveling and I wish the
>little map on the phone were bigger. I wish the map on the car radio
>were bigger. Usually they are enough but sometimes no. And I don't want
>staring at the map to make me a bad driver.

When you say "on the car radio", do you mean your car has built-in GPS?

>The map on the laptop is very good, but it doesn't show where I am and
>it does't move when I move. So is there any way to add GPS or to have
>a map that shows where I am (or where it is) and if possible. moves
>along the map as we move?/

As another has said, looking at a laptop while driving would almost
certainly get you into trouble (here in UK, anyway). Plus the worry
about securing it so it doesn't get broken if you have to brake hard (or
get hit).

I've got myself a 7" SatNav (as we call a GPS unit in UK) - an XGODY 886
(I paid a little extra for the 886 version with Bluetooth, but both are
cheap enough); a little quirky until you get used to it, but works as
well as the expensive ones. (Well, it doesn't get traffic updates.) If
7" isn't big enough for you, (a) I think they do make bigger ones, (b)
I'm not sure you should be driving anyway ... (-:

It spends most of its time being an mp3 player (it plays - and gives
directions - through the car radio [has a stereo FM transmitter in it]),
since normally I know the way, but when I've needed it to find somewhere
new, it has done the job.

(Other cheap makes and models exist. I haven't done any sort of
exhaustive survey; since this one did what I want, I stopped there.)

"quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur". ("Anything is more impressive if
you say it in Latin")

Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?

<lrl43h1o6q0ra1hbtvq59m81ucbk565oo9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60662&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60662

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 23:33:33 +0200
 by: micky - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 21:33 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Wed, 16 Mar 2022 07:58:14 -0400, YK
<youkidding@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On 3/16/2022 6:18 AM, Herbert Kleebauer wrote:
>> Why not use Google to search for the keywords "laptop gps"?

I did that, but I get better answers when I ask here.

>On 3/16/2022 10:20 AM, Unsteadyken wrote:
>> Search for USB GPS Receiver.
>
>I think 'Micky' uses a random generator to bring up all these questions.
>He doesn't even want an answer. He just wants to roil up the newsgroups.
>
>This isn't the only newsgroup he does this random question generation on.
>I think he does it for fun but we'd have to ask him why he does it.

WRONG! See my answer in the next thred.

Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?

<o02agi-rup.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60663&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60663

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 22:39:04 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 21:39 UTC

On 2022-03-16 10:28, micky wrote:
> Is there a way to add gps to a laptop? I'm traveling and I wish the
> little map on the phone were bigger. I wish the map on the car radio
> were bigger. Usually they are enough but sometimes no. And I don't want
> staring at the map to make me a bad driver.
>
> The map on the laptop is very good, but it doesn't show where I am and
> it does't move when I move. So is there any way to add GPS or to have
> a map that shows where I am (or where it is) and if possible. moves
> along the map as we move?/

You could use a tablet instead of a phone.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?

<ktl43htaa74gp583m2s0h5i4ofdq1l4tiq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60664&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60664

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 23:43:46 +0200
 by: micky - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 21:43 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Wed, 16 Mar 2022 09:41:40 +0000, Andy
Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?
>
>yes, e.g a bluetooth GPS dongle

That sounds good.

>> I'm traveling and I wish the
>> little map on the phone were bigger. I wish the map on the car radio
>> were bigger. Usually they are enough but sometimes no. And I don't want
>> staring at the map to make me a bad driver.
>
>Using a laptop while driving is almost certain to be a distraction

There were a lot of stop lights today. If there aren't, I pull over to
look at the cell phone with google maps (since this one won't attach to
the dashboard or anywhere I can see it easily.)

Yesterday, I didn't take the right exit at a traffic circle, and google,
instead of telling me that, ran me on a path with several turns and more
than a half-mile long, took at least 12 minutes (when I could have
turned around in a driveway in less than a minute.) Ended up being
short of time at the place I was going to.

>> The map on the laptop is very good, but it doesn't show where I am and
>> it does't move when I move. So is there any way to add GPS or to have
>> a map that shows where I am (or where it is) and if possible. moves
>> along the map as we move?/
>
>Don't think so with google maps on a PC, possibly with other map software.

I'll keep looking.

Yesterday, I had had a sorethroat, then a headache, and I wanted a covid
test. I found an online map of lots of places, the closest ones about
15 miles away. but it was dark out, and it was hard to match up the map
I was looking at with one that woould give me directions. Eventually I
figured it out, and even if google did this on a PC, the map I started
with was not a google map, but in other cases it would help very much to
be able ot use the big map on a laptop instead of the little one on the
phone.

I only found an antigen test, but I was negatve. I think I just have a
coold. The sore throat is gone after two days, the headache is gone,
and now I just have a cough and runny nose. I think I'm on schedule.

I've been using Open Street Map on the car radio, and the other day it
kept saying, GPS signal lost. GPS signal reconnected. 6 pairs of
comments. Google has never done that. And every time it interrupted
the live radio show I was listening to, plus it drove me crazy. (when
it's a podcast, I think it pauses the podcast while google maps, and
maybe the others, are talking. They coudl do that with like by
compressing the sound after, but so far, I don't think anyone does.

Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?

<vhm43hdv3n5d48vj8arb4018bi8u77hsbl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60665&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60665

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 23:48:52 +0200
 by: micky - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 21:48 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Wed, 16 Mar 2022 20:05:46 +0000, "J. P.
Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Mar 2022 at 11:28:09, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote
>(my responses usually FOLLOW):
>>Is there a way to add gps to a laptop? I'm traveling and I wish the
>>little map on the phone were bigger. I wish the map on the car radio
>>were bigger. Usually they are enough but sometimes no. And I don't want
>>staring at the map to make me a bad driver.
>
>When you say "on the car radio", do you mean your car has built-in GPS?

No, it doesn't, but it uses the phones when the phone is connected.
When the phone is not plugged in with the USB cable, there is no map at
all. and no radio except over the air.

>>The map on the laptop is very good, but it doesn't show where I am and
>>it does't move when I move. So is there any way to add GPS or to have
>>a map that shows where I am (or where it is) and if possible. moves
>>along the map as we move?/
>
>As another has said, looking at a laptop while driving would almost
>certainly get you into trouble (here in UK, anyway).

Stop lights. Plus I pull over when I need to look at the cell phone
which doesn't not stick to the dashboard.

> Plus the worry
>about securing it so it doesn't get broken if you have to brake hard (or
>get hit).

Yes, the brakes on this car are so good I knocked the laptop off the
front seat twice, when I wasn't even using it, just carrying it. But
the lid was down and it didn't get hurt. Now I'm used to the brakes
and it would require a panic stop to knock it off. But last night I
was going very slow, on flat land.

>I've got myself a 7" SatNav (as we call a GPS unit in UK) - an XGODY 886
>(I paid a little extra for the 886 version with Bluetooth, but both are
>cheap enough); a little quirky until you get used to it, but works as
>well as the expensive ones. (Well, it doesn't get traffic updates.) If
>7" isn't big enough for you, (a) I think they do make bigger ones, (b)
>I'm not sure you should be driving anyway ... (-:
>
>It spends most of its time being an mp3 player (it plays - and gives
>directions - through the car radio [has a stereo FM transmitter in it]),
>since normally I know the way, but when I've needed it to find somewhere
>new, it has done the job.
>
>(Other cheap makes and models exist. I haven't done any sort of
>exhaustive survey; since this one did what I want, I stopped there.)

Thanks for the suggestion, and thanks everyone

Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?

<1kl3ly2usk9o2.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60669&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60669

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 20:14:08 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 01:14 UTC

Herbert Kleebauer wrote:

> micky wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?
>
> Why not use Google to search for the keywords "laptop gps"?
>
> For example:
> https://www.amazon.com//dp/B07QRGK7ZK/

The USB dongle sticking out of the laptop may put the dongle in a bad
position for GPS access, like the laptop is on the car seat getting
shielded by the roof, doors, firewall, and other metal obstructions.
There are similar devices that have the GPS radio at the end of a
tether, like:

https://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-BU-353-S4-USB-Receiver-Black/dp/B008200LHW

If you intend to position the transceiver under the windshield, be sure
there is no metal tint on the windshield (e.g., Gansta' Tint). The 5'
cable on this product should let you position it on or by other windows,
and maybe even on the rear seat panel over the trunk (but the rear
window might have defog foils).

Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?

<12o8urwjpwj1g$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60670&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60670

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 20:15:22 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 01:15 UTC

micky wrote:

> Is there a way to add gps to a laptop? I'm traveling and I wish the
> little map on the phone were bigger. I wish the map on the car radio
> were bigger. Usually they are enough but sometimes no. And I don't want
> staring at the map to make me a bad driver.
>
> The map on the laptop is very good, but it doesn't show where I am and
> it does't move when I move. So is there any way to add GPS or to have
> a map that shows where I am (or where it is) and if possible. moves
> along the map as we move?/

Laptops are very tight inside making modification of hardware very
difficult. You would have to add the GPS hardware, including the radio,
inside your laptop. How likely is it that you have that expertise?
Not. For the cost of the parts, and your training, to modify your
laptop to add GPS to it, and using something other than the car's head
unit for navigation, why not get a Garmin, or similar? Garmin Drive
units come in 5 to 8 inch sizes. You'd have to figure out how to hang
it over the [too small] car's head unit since it likely too big to
position elsewhere (while also eliminating losing focus on the road).
I've never use a Garmin, but I think you have to subscribe to their map
service. There are USB dongles to add GPS support to which Herbert
already alluded.

The car's head unit is smaller than your phone? Not likely unless
you're buying a huge-sized phone. It is probably smaller than your
laptop (although there are "laptops" the size of small notebooks or
netbooks). While you have a laptop (without GPS), you don't own a
smartphone? Those have a GPS radio, and where you can run a maps app.
Pair your phone via USB cable or Bluetooth to the car head unit, and use
Android Auto to mirror your phone's display onto the car head unit. To
reduce how often you focus on the car head unit, follow the audio
driving instructions from the maps app. If you have a troop of highly
talkative and loud passengers, turn up the volume for the speakers. If
you don't like Android Auto (which Google is discontinuing to roll into
Google Maps), use an alternative (AutoMate, AutoZen).

One solution: get a larger-sized smartphone. I have the LG V20 which is
pretty good sized, and I like using it for maps, but I doubt it is
bigger than the head unit in the car (unless it's an old car with a tiny
head unit).

You'd be staring at a map on the head unit. You instead want to stare
at a map on a laptop or maybe a smartphone. How has the switch from
looking at one to looking at the other made you a safer driver? Your
phone likely has a GPS radio. Can't you connect your phone to your
car's head unit via USB cable or Bluetooth? That would let the audio
instructions from the smartphone play through the car's speakers, so you
don't have to watch the head unit or your phone. Rely on audio instead
focusing on the phone's display. About the only time I look at my phone
to see the maps app is when I'm at a stoplight. If you had a passenger
that was your navigator, you'd be listening to what they say, not
watching their mouth to lip read.

My 2002 car is way too old to have a head unit. I use a Bluetooh-FM
transceiver that plugs into the cigarette lighter (aka power port). The
smartphone pairs to the BT-FM transceiver, and the BT-FM transceiver
uses the car radio to send audio from phone through transceiver to radio
out to speakers. That lets me listen to the driving instructions rather
than have my eyes lose the road to focus on the map on the phone.

There are holders for phones that would let you see it better. Because
of my old car, the best place is the unused CD slot in the radio to
insert a bracket that holds my phone at about dash top level. I'm not
looking down at the console to see the phone in a cup holder adapter.
Yeah, CD players are old. I don't like suction cup phone holders,
because the phone eventually falls, especially on hard bumps, plus some
states have laws regarding obscurring the view through the windshield
(and why you also cannot have a handicap placard hanging from the rear
view mirror while driving). I've seen a taxi driver use a cup holder to
hold to secure the phone, but has a long goose neck to hold the phone up
at or above dash level. He wrapped velcro around the gooseneck stem to
stick onto velcro on the front of the dash to keep the phone from
bouncing around at the end of the long goose neck. Most dashes have a
pebble finish, are curved, may not have a large enough spot for the
width of the phone, or otherwise don't work well with suction cup phone
holders on the dash. I've see phone holders that don't use a suction
cup on the dash, but instead a silicone base that sticks to the dash.
There are visor holders where you could position the phone using the
passenger visor (so it's not out of focus by being too close), or on the
driver visor although that might be too close to focus. I've seen where
phones were used to illuminate the windshield in front of the driver, so
you get a translucent view of the phone overlaid on the inside of the
windshield. I've seen phone holders that act like a big clamp: then
clamp onto the overhang of the dash over the instrument cluster with a
phone holder at the other end of the clamp atop the dash. My windshield
has too steep an angle, and low space between dash and windshield to use
it with my large smartphone, but it would work with a smaller phone.

Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?

<mnhdzu00gh2a.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60671&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60671

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 20:19:08 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 01:19 UTC

YK wrote:

> Herbert Kleebauer wrote:
>
>> Why not use Google to search for the keywords "laptop gps"?
>
> I think 'Micky' uses a random generator to bring up all these questions.
> He doesn't even want an answer. He just wants to roil up the newsgroups.
>
> This isn't the only newsgroup he does this random question generation on.
> I think he does it for fun but we'd have to ask him why he does it.

To some degree, micky asks here before doing any research of his own. I
have family and friends like that who blurt out knee jerk inquiries.
When they ask for help, I first respond by saying, "What have you found
so far in researching the problem?" You can guess their response: deer
caught in headlights, pause, and then saying they wanted to pester, er,
ask me first.

Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?

<t0uu6u$1s7a$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60672&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60672

From: kle...@unibwm.de (Herbert Kleebauer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 10:15:09 +0100
 by: Herbert Kleebauer - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 09:15 UTC

On 17.03.2022 02:14, VanguardLH wrote:

>> For example:
>> https://www.amazon.com//dp/B07QRGK7ZK/
>
> The USB dongle sticking out of the laptop may put the dongle in a bad
> position for GPS access, like the laptop is on the car seat getting
> shielded by the roof, doors, firewall, and other metal obstructions.
> There are similar devices that have the GPS radio at the end of a
> tether, like:
>
> https://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-BU-353-S4-USB-Receiver-Black/dp/B008200LHW

There are also USB Extension Cables of any length. You use
it if you need it, but you can't remove the cable from the
above product if you don't need it.

Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?

<t0v3u7$nte$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60676&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60676

From: youkidd...@yahoo.com (YK)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 06:52:57 -0400
 by: YK - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 10:52 UTC

On 3/16/2022 5:33 PM, micky wrote:
> WRONG! See my answer in the next thred.

My assumption is not wrong that you spend five seconds on all your threads.
My assumption is not wrong about you not searching first before asking.
My assumption is not wrong that you don't post any proof you have the issue.

You don't even spend a second sending them to type the titles correctly most
of the time and certainly not the body which itself shows you spend seconds.
You never google even the simplest questions to find the answer first.
That means you really don't care for the answer and you didn't try first.
You often don't respond with replies but never do you show a solution.
You never even provide proof that you even have the problem.
I wouldn't be surprised if you actually google for a problem and ask that.

All that together means you are using a random question generation tactic.
But what do you get out of that five seconds of effort for each thread?

At least spend more than five seconds on composing your post since they look
like you randomly copied them out of someone else's forum request.

Don't even respond to me as you're just a troll since this isn't the only
newsgroup you do this same trolling on.

The next time you ask a question that has a trillion answers on the
Internet, at least post _one_ link showing you looked for the answer and
post a picture showing a solution or post some proof showing that you have
the problem you ask about.

Is that extra five seconds too much to ask of you?

Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?

<t0v48p$ta8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60677&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60677

From: youkidd...@yahoo.com (YK)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 06:58:35 -0400
 by: YK - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 10:58 UTC

On 3/16/2022 9:19 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> To some degree, micky asks here before doing any research of his own.

Did he ever post proof that he looked up the answer first?

> have family and friends like that who blurt out knee jerk inquiries.

Does he ever post proof that he even has the problem he asks about?

> When they ask for help, I first respond by saying, "What have you found
> so far in researching the problem?" You can guess their response: deer
> caught in headlights, pause, and then saying they wanted to pester, er,
> ask me first.

True.

But he doesn't even spend five seconds first looking it up.
Most of his questions don't even have the title typed correctly.
He is wasting your time by having fun being a troll.

Often the problem has nothing to do with the newsgroup so it's the wrong ng.
It's not just this newsgroup so it's not just pc problems he does this with.

If the next time he asks a question without looking it up first, he looks it
up first, and he shows proof that he has the problem he asks about, then I
might change my opinion but he has been doing what I'm saying for years.

He's not going to stop trolling just because I pointed out he's a troll.
That never works.

Feeding this troll is what he lives for.

Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?

<eop63h9rrrlfteh16m6svbp2ii8jue6i56@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60691&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60691

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 18:55:07 +0200
 by: micky - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 16:55 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Wed, 16 Mar 2022 20:14:08 -0500,
VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>Herbert Kleebauer wrote:
>
>> micky wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?
>>
>> Why not use Google to search for the keywords "laptop gps"?
>>
>> For example:
>> https://www.amazon.com//dp/B07QRGK7ZK/
>
>The USB dongle sticking out of the laptop may put the dongle in a bad
>position for GPS access, like the laptop is on the car seat getting
>shielded by the roof, doors, firewall, and other metal obstructions.
>There are similar devices that have the GPS radio at the end of a
>tether, like:

When I was looking into getting a new rdio for my car, I noticed that
the current GPS antenna is connected by a cable and sits just under the
vinyl dash.

>https://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-BU-353-S4-USB-Receiver-Black/dp/B008200LHW
>
>If you intend to position the transceiver under the windshield, be sure
>there is no metal tint on the windshield (e.g., Gansta' Tint).

Okay. My car certainly doesn't have that, and rentacars don't come that
way.

> The 5'
>cable on this product should let you position it on or by other windows,
>and maybe even on the rear seat panel over the trunk (but the rear
>window might have defog foils).

I'll keep all this in mind, but no point in buying anything yet until I
find software that will use this info to show where *I* am and show my
car moving along.

Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?

<01q63hdk95jo62712udob0heddv60hkk44@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60693&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60693

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 19:10:00 +0200
 by: micky - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 17:10 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Thu, 17 Mar 2022 06:52:57 -0400, YK
<youkidding@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On 3/16/2022 5:33 PM, micky wrote:
>> WRONG! See my answer in the next thred.
>
>My assumption is not wrong that you spend five seconds on all your threads.

Yes, it is wrong.

>My assumption is not wrong about you not searching first before asking.

You don't know how many topics I search myself and never ask about.
There are a lot.

Other times, I don't have the search terms in mind until I right the
question here. Some of those times, I don't ask the question here at
all, but other times I do because you can't have a discussion with a
webpage.

>My assumption is not wrong that you don't post any proof you have the issue.

Why on earth would anyone post proof he has the issue he asks about?
Sometimes, like this time, I give a narrative, either in the first post
or later, but I certainly don't do that to prove anything.

>You don't even spend a second sending them to type the titles correctly most

I make a lot of errors in the subject line because Forte Agent v1.93
displays the subject line in much smaller type. When I lean forward, I
need glasses to read it, which I don't wear when using the computer.
So there are typing errors that are not corrected.

>of the time and certainly not the body which itself shows you spend seconds.

It doesn't show that.

>You never google even the simplest questions to find the answer first.

See above.

>That means you really don't care for the answer and you didn't try first.

Even if you were right, it would not mean that I don't care about the
answer. I can't imagine how you get that from the other part.

>You often don't respond with replies but never do you show a solution.

I feel bad when I don't reply, but sometimes I just don't have time.
Do I show a solution? Whenever there is one, but a lot of thse things
are pending for a long time.

>You never even provide proof that you even have the problem.

Who does that?

>I wouldn't be surprised if you actually google for a problem and ask that.
>
>All that together means you are using a random question generation tactic.

No, it doesn't and I hope you use better analytic skills in the rest of
your life.

>But what do you get out of that five seconds of effort for each thread?
>
>At least spend more than five seconds on composing your post since they look
>like you randomly copied them out of someone else's forum request.

I'm no longer here to please you. If you don't like my posts, filter
them out.

>Don't even respond to me

You should have said that at the top, before I wrote so much. Now it's
written and I'm posting it.

>as you're just a troll

No I'm not. There has been plenty of evidence otherwise too, in the
last 20 years.

> since this isn't the only
>newsgroup you do this same trolling on.
>
>The next time you ask a question that has a trillion answers on the
>Internet, at least post _one_ link showing you looked for the answer and

No. No one else does such a thing and I won't do it just to please
someone who jumps to conclusions and already has his mind made up about
me

>post a picture showing a solution or post some proof showing that you have
>the problem you ask about.
>
>Is that extra five seconds too much to ask of you?

I guess so because I'm not going to do it. And you think it's only 5
seconds?

Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?

<vtq63h5gtupa84bj870hq7ks4dua3fgs3d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60696&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60696

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 19:13:28 +0200
 by: micky - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 17:13 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Wed, 16 Mar 2022 22:39:04 +0100, "Carlos
E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>On 2022-03-16 10:28, micky wrote:
>> Is there a way to add gps to a laptop? I'm traveling and I wish the
>> little map on the phone were bigger. I wish the map on the car radio
>> were bigger. Usually they are enough but sometimes no. And I don't want
>> staring at the map to make me a bad driver.
>>
>> The map on the laptop is very good, but it doesn't show where I am and
>> it does't move when I move. So is there any way to add GPS or to have
>> a map that shows where I am (or where it is) and if possible. moves
>> along the map as we move?/
>
>You could use a tablet instead of a phone.

I guess. I don't have experience with them. I only have a very old
tablet someone gave me when he got a better one and afaict it doesn't do
much. Could I use the same external keyboard, maybe with an adapter? I
can't stand virtual keyboards or even laptop keyboards.

Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?

<t0vs8p$1ang$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60700&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60700

From: youkidd...@yahoo.com (YK)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 13:48:11 -0400
 by: YK - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 17:48 UTC

On 3/17/2022 5:10 PM, micky wrote:
> Why on earth would anyone post proof he has the issue he asks about?

I'm not surprised you just admitted you make them all up all the time.

You are doing this same thing on many newsgroups - many - many newsgroups.

It's clear to all you don't even have any of the "problems" you ask about.

Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?

<t10a3n.5rk.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60714&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60714

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 17 Mar 2022 20:44:32 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 20:44 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to add gps to a laptop? I'm traveling and I wish the
> little map on the phone were bigger. I wish the map on the car radio
> were bigger. Usually they are enough but sometimes no. And I don't want
> staring at the map to make me a bad driver.
>
> The map on the laptop is very good, but it doesn't show where I am and
> it does't move when I move. So is there any way to add GPS or to have
> a map that shows where I am (or where it is) and if possible. moves
> along the map as we move?/

As others have mentioned, you primarily should be *listening* to the
audio navigation instructions, instead of *looking* at the map on a
screen, any screen of any size.

And *if/when* you need to look at the map, a normal phone screen
somewhat close to the steering wheel should be big enough. If such a map
is too small for you, you need better glasses or/and not drive at all.
(I've been using screens as small as 4", no problem.)

And yes, you've been 'talking' about the non-sticking surface of your
rental car, so get a phone holder which has a suction cup for the front
window.

And no, you shouldn't use the laptop, especially not when you're
moving, period. Too dangerous and very likely illegal,

Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?

<170320221725493820%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60717&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60717

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 17:25:49 -0400
 by: nospam - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 21:25 UTC

In article <t10a3n.5rk.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>, Frank Slootweg
<this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

> And yes, you've been 'talking' about the non-sticking surface of your
> rental car, so get a phone holder which has a suction cup for the front
> window.

check to be sure that's legal. in some jurisdictions, anything stuck to
the glass 'obstructs the view' and is therefore illegal, whereas
sticking something to the dashboard that's tall and obstructs, is fine.

Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?

<sid73hlqvvi3cjo0ic5u2v5uqffinh3cso@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60720&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60720

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 00:31:01 +0200
 by: micky - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 22:31 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Thu, 17 Mar 2022 13:48:11 -0400, YK
<youkidding@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On 3/17/2022 5:10 PM, micky wrote:
>> Why on earth would anyone post proof he has the issue he asks about?
>
>I'm not surprised you just admitted you make them all up all the time.

I didn't say anything of the sort. I didn't admit anything. Can't you
read?

>You are doing this same thing on many newsgroups - many - many newsgroups.
>
>It's clear to all you don't even have any of the "problems" you ask about.

Only to you.

Re: Is there a way to add gps to a laptop?

<t12bmh.cp4.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60751&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60751

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 18 Mar 2022 15:23:55 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 15:23 UTC

nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <t10a3n.5rk.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>, Frank Slootweg
> <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:
>
> > And yes, you've been 'talking' about the non-sticking surface of your
> > rental car, so get a phone holder which has a suction cup for the front
> > window.
>
> check to be sure that's legal. in some jurisdictions, anything stuck to
> the glass 'obstructs the view' and is therefore illegal, whereas
> sticking something to the dashboard that's tall and obstructs, is fine.

OK. Maybe a US thing? I've not seen such an absolute restriction for
these devices in that position in Europe (and Australia).

Anyway, aren't rearview mirrors stuck to the glass in many (most?
all?) cases? Or is that OK, because that's how they're made in the
factory?

BTW, any restrictions on tin-foil hats?