The value of a program is proportional to the weight of its output.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?

SubjectAuthor
* Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?micky
+* Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?Herbert Kleebauer
|`* Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?YK
| `* Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?micky
|  +- Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?YK
|  +* Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?Ken Blake
|  |+- Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
|  |`- Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?R.Wieser
|  `* Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?Stan Brown
|   +* Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
|   |`* Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?R.Wieser
|   | +* Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?Stan Brown
|   | |+- Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?R.Wieser
|   | |`- Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?Char Jackson
|   | `* Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
|   |  `- Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?R.Wieser
|   `- Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?R.Wieser
+* Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?Paul
|`* Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?micky
| +* Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?Paul
| |`- Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?micky
| `* Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?R.Wieser
|  `* Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?micky
|   `* Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?R.Wieser
|    `* Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?micky
|     `* Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?Herbert Kleebauer
|      `- Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?Paul
+* Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?VanguardLH
|`* Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?Herbert Kleebauer
| +* Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?R.Wieser
| |`* Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?VanguardLH
| | `* Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?R.Wieser
| |  `* Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?VanguardLH
| |   `* Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?R.Wieser
| |    `* Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?VanguardLH
| |     `* Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?R.Wieser
| |      `- Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?VanguardLH
| `- Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?VanguardLH
+- Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?Bucky Breeder
`* Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?VanguardLH
 `- Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?Stan Brown

Pages:12
Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?

<cdb33h9a9630utmasse7cr4m73inotqrcu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60648&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60648

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 11:33:30 +0200
 by: micky - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 09:33 UTC

Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard, short of unplugging
it or removing its USB connection?

I may have mentioned that I'm traveling, and when it's too far to go to
my room (and I don't actually have one now) I use the laptop in the
car**. This works pretty well, but sometimes I have to take the
keyboard off my lap and wherever I put it it seems some key gets pressed
and things start to happen. I want to turn off key input.

Unplugging is too much, I have to find the plug again, usually in the
dark, maybe on the floor in front of the passenger seat. And wait while
it reconnects.

Maybe win10 provides, and USB Safely Remove definitly provides for
disconnecting the keyboard (or mouse, or any USB thing) but I t hought
you might know something even quicker and simpler.

Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?

<t0sdgq$4fg$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60650&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60650

From: kle...@unibwm.de (Herbert Kleebauer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 11:18:01 +0100
 by: Herbert Kleebauer - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 10:18 UTC

On 16.03.2022 10:33, micky wrote:

> Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard, short of unplugging
> it or removing its USB connection?

Use Google to searcch for "wireless keyboard on off switch"

For example:

https://www.amazon.com//dp/B088CW5XTL/

Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?

<t0sjh0$12o2$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60654&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60654

From: youkidd...@yahoo.com (YK)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 08:00:33 -0400
 by: YK - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 12:00 UTC

On 3/16/2022 6:18 AM, Herbert Kleebauer wrote:
> Use Google to searcch for "wireless keyboard on off switch"

I think 'Micky' uses a random generator to bring up all these questions.
He doesn't even want an answer. He just wants to roil up the newsgroups.

This isn't the only newsgroup he does this random question generation on.
I think he does it for fun but we'd have to ask him why he does it.

Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?

<t0t52i$68s$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60656&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60656

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 13:00:03 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 17:00 UTC

On 3/16/2022 5:33 AM, micky wrote:
> Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard, short of unplugging
> it or removing its USB connection?
>
> I may have mentioned that I'm traveling, and when it's too far to go to
> my room (and I don't actually have one now) I use the laptop in the
> car**. This works pretty well, but sometimes I have to take the
> keyboard off my lap and wherever I put it it seems some key gets pressed
> and things start to happen. I want to turn off key input.
>
> Unplugging is too much, I have to find the plug again, usually in the
> dark, maybe on the floor in front of the passenger seat. And wait while
> it reconnects.
>
> Maybe win10 provides, and USB Safely Remove definitly provides for
> disconnecting the keyboard (or mouse, or any USB thing) but I t hought
> you might know something even quicker and simpler.

Plugged in USB devices of that type, can be unplugged
without a warning to the OS.

They are not listed in Safely Remove. That is your first
hint that they do not need a "ceremony".

It is devices with file systems, where the OS feels most protective.

For some of the wireless devices, they have a switch, or they
have a bay where the Unifying Receiver is stored, and as soon
as the Unifying Receiver is plugged into the storage hole, power
goes off inside the device itself.

But for wired devices with USB cabling, they could not be
any simpler. Just unplug them. If the OS ends up with zero HID
devices, then that is considered "tough". Most people would
shut down the OS, before unplugging the HID devices, so they don't
end up in some sort of bind.

Paul

Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?

<rpk43hto7klhh5mf2mvuej1nd4g6tgjs58@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60660&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60660

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 23:25:00 +0200
 by: micky - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 21:25 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Wed, 16 Mar 2022 13:00:03 -0400, Paul
<nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>On 3/16/2022 5:33 AM, micky wrote:
>> Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard, short of unplugging
>> it or removing its USB connection?
>>
>> I may have mentioned that I'm traveling, and when it's too far to go to
>> my room (and I don't actually have one now) I use the laptop in the
>> car**. This works pretty well, but sometimes I have to take the
>> keyboard off my lap and wherever I put it it seems some key gets pressed
>> and things start to happen. I want to turn off key input.
>>
>> Unplugging is too much, I have to find the plug again, usually in the
>> dark, maybe on the floor in front of the passenger seat. And wait while
>> it reconnects.
>>
>> Maybe win10 provides, and USB Safely Remove definitly provides for
>> disconnecting the keyboard (or mouse, or any USB thing) but I t hought
>> you might know something even quicker and simpler.
>>

>Plugged in USB devices of that type, can be unplugged
>without a warning to the OS.

Okay,

>They are not listed in Safely Remove. That is your first
>hint that they do not need a "ceremony".

FWIW, they are listed in USB Safely Remove, which iirc is free for 30
days, but I bought it. Using USB Safely Remove seems to requre the
mouse, and you can disconnect the mouse and keyboard or reconnect them.
Normally using the mouse is fine, but in the car, it's harder to use
than the keyboard.

>It is devices with file systems, where the OS feels most protective.
>
>For some of the wireless devices, they have a switch, or they
>have a bay where the Unifying Receiver is stored, and as soon
>as the Unifying Receiver is plugged into the storage hole, power
>goes off inside the device itself.

>But for wired devices with USB cabling, they could not be
>any simpler. Just unplug them.

I was hoping for something that could be done with the keyboard. But
if there is nothing, so be it.

I bring the smallest full-size keyboard I can find, and that is the
Dell. But that comes with another problem. When it's between the front
seats, for example, there is almost no place to grab it that is not a
key . Next trip I will bring one that's a bit bigger, with a border I
can hold on to. I wanted small to not take too much room in the
suitcase, but it's still too big for the computer bag, so I might as
well bring a bigger one. They don't weight much more or take much more
room.

>If the OS ends up with zero HID
>devices, then that is considered "tough". Most people would
>shut down the OS, before unplugging the HID devices, so they don't
>end up in some sort of bind.
>
> Paul

Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?

<ndl43h9v59r5q8ha3jrc54ak667bj132gc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60661&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60661

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 23:32:11 +0200
 by: micky - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 21:32 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Wed, 16 Mar 2022 08:00:33 -0400, YK
<youkidding@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On 3/16/2022 6:18 AM, Herbert Kleebauer wrote:
>> Use Google to searcch for "wireless keyboard on off switch"

Thanks for the suggestion. But I use a wired keyboard. I googled "wired
keyboard on off switch" and didn't find anything helpful, I guess since
they don't have switches.

>I think 'Micky' uses a random generator to bring up all these questions.
>He doesn't even want an answer. He just wants to roil up the newsgroups.

Totally wrong. There have been a couple occasions where I didn't reply
to the replies I got, but that's a separate failing of mine. I reed all
the replies, and wanted/want answers to every question I ask, all of
which have strong bases. Maybe you could try thinking out of the box
more and you'd see how valuable my questions are. :-)

>This isn't the only newsgroup he does this random question generation on.
>I think he does it for fun but we'd have to ask him why he does it.

You've implicitly asked me here. Your assumption is totallly wrong. I
ask because I have questions I want answers to.

Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?

<t0to2e$aap$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60666&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60666

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 18:24:14 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 22:24 UTC

On 3/16/2022 5:25 PM, micky wrote:

> I bring the smallest full-size keyboard I can find, and that is the
> Dell. But that comes with another problem. When it's between the front
> seats, for example, there is almost no place to grab it that is not a
> key . Next trip I will bring one that's a bit bigger, with a border I
> can hold on to. I wanted small to not take too much room in the
> suitcase, but it's still too big for the computer bag, so I might as
> well bring a bigger one. They don't weight much more or take much more
> room.

The smallest keyboard, is the "fold-up Bluetooth type".
No idea what the key travel feels like.

Those are likely to be used with phones or computers.

Paul

Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?

<t0tq7i$1a8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60667&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60667

From: addr...@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 00:00:58 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 23:00 UTC

micky,

> I bring the smallest full-size keyboard I can find,

You /really/ should have mentioned that in you initial message. That one
reads as if you wanted to disconnect the laptops own, build-in keyboard -
which supposedly had a real USB connector that you could reach from the
outside. And that doesn't make much sense. Something YK could well have
stumbled over ...

But in the case of an additional keyboard you could see if you can find an
"usb power switch" (a short USB extension cable with a switch in the
middle), which simply disconnects the power to the attached device. As you
never unplug the cable you should be able to easily locate that switch.

No idea how both the laptop and the keyboard respond to such a powerswitch
though.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?

<5pcvdwwq4l9m.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60668&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60668

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 19:30:38 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 00:30 UTC

micky wrote:

> Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard, short of unplugging
> it or removing its USB connection?

Use Nirsoft's USB Device Viewer to disable the USB keyboard, and again
to reenable it. You can either disconnect or disable the USB keyboard.

Use Device Manager to disable the keyboard, and reenable it later.
Instead of having to wade through Device Manager, use a registry monitor
too: take a snapshot before disabling the keyboard in Device Manager, a
snapshot after disabling the keyboard, and compare the snapshots to see
what changed in the registry. You could then create shortcuts to .reg
files that enable/disable the keyboard, or create .bat files the use
reg.exe to delete or add the registry entries.

Why are you moving the keyboard BEFORE disconnecting it? Unplug the
keyboard's USB cable from your laptop, and THEN move the keyboard.
Change the order of your actions. That solves the PEBCAK problem. Your
description provides its own solution.

Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?

<t0uu96$1s7a$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60673&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60673

From: kle...@unibwm.de (Herbert Kleebauer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 10:16:23 +0100
 by: Herbert Kleebauer - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 09:16 UTC

On 17.03.2022 01:30, VanguardLH wrote:

> Why are you moving the keyboard BEFORE disconnecting it? Unplug the
> keyboard's USB cable from your laptop, and THEN move the keyboard.

I think it is not a good idea to always unplug the keyboard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hardware#Durability :
"Standard USB has a minimum rated lifetime of 1,500 cycles of insertion and removal".

The best solution is a wireless keyboard with an
on/off switch. For that purpose maybe with an integrated
touch pad. For example:

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/4000349248017.html

Or a smaller version:

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32992252032.html

Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?

<t0v061$qk5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60674&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60674

From: addr...@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 10:48:40 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 09:48 UTC

"Herbert Kleebauer" <klee@unibwm.de> wrote in message
> On 17.03.2022 01:30, VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Why are you moving the keyboard BEFORE disconnecting it? Unplug the
>> keyboard's USB cable from your laptop, and THEN move the keyboard.
>
> I think it is not a good idea to always unplug the keyboard.

Don't worry about that. The OP made rather clear in his initial message
that he *doesn't* want to unplug the keyboard.

IOW, its just vanguards own mind playing tricks on him, making him read
stuff that has never been written (and than attack the other with it).

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?

<t0v3oj$l5c$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60675&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60675

From: youkidd...@yahoo.com (YK)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 06:49:56 -0400
 by: YK - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 10:49 UTC

On 3/16/2022 2:32 PM, micky wrote:
> You've implicitly asked me here. Your assumption is totallly wrong. I
> ask because I have questions I want answers to.

My assumption is not wrong that you spend five seconds on all your threads.
My assumption is not wrong about you not searching first before asking.
My assumption is not wrong that you don't post any proof you have the issue.

You don't even spend a second sending them to type the titles correctly most
of the time and certainly not the body which itself shows you spend seconds.
You never google even the simplest questions to find the answer first.
That means you really don't care for the answer and you didn't try first.
You often don't respond with replies but never do you show a solution.
You never even provide proof that you even have the problem.
I wouldn't be surprised if you actually google for a problem and ask that.

All that together means you are using a random question generation tactic.
But what do you get out of that five seconds of effort for each thread?

At least spend more than five seconds on composing your post since they look
like you randomly copied them out of someone else's forum request.

Don't even respond to me as you're just a troll since this isn't the only
newsgroup you do this same trolling on.

The next time you ask a question that has a trillion answers on the
Internet, at least post _one_ link showing you looked for the answer and
post a picture showing a solution or post some proof showing that you have
the problem you ask about.

Is that extra five seconds too much to ask of you?

Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?

<XnsAE5D67EAF94FBOhmmmmmmm@85.12.62.254>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60681&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60681

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: Breeder_...@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.it.out (Bucky Breeder)
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 15:12:56 GMT
 by: Bucky Breeder - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 15:12 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> posted this via :

> Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard, short of unplugging
> it or removing its USB connection?
>
> I may have mentioned that I'm traveling, and when it's too far to go to
> my room (and I don't actually have one now) I use the laptop in the
> car**. This works pretty well, but sometimes I have to take the
> keyboard off my lap and wherever I put it it seems some key gets pressed
> and things start to happen. I want to turn off key input.
>
> Unplugging is too much, I have to find the plug again, usually in the
> dark, maybe on the floor in front of the passenger seat. And wait while
> it reconnects.
>
> Maybe win10 provides, and USB Safely Remove definitly provides for
> disconnecting the keyboard (or mouse, or any USB thing) but I t hought
> you might know something even quicker and simpler.

The next-easiest way to accomplish what you are describing while leaving
you with the most options for the future is:

1. Press Windows + X > select "Device Manager" from the list.

2. Find "Keyboards" in the list of devices and click the arrow to expand
it.

3. Right-click on the internal keyboard and click "Disable" if that is
available for your flavor of laptop. If there is no Disable option listed,
click Uninstall.

4. Click File > Exit. Your laptop�s internal keyboard should now be
disabled/uninstalled.

NOTE: If you used Uninstall in step 4, the keyboard will be automatically
detected and re-installed if you ever have the Device Manager scan for new
hardware (the far right icon). When that happens you can always repeat this
handy-hackedy-hack in order to uninstall it again.

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^;

And *NO*, that is *NOT* a Jedi Light Saber I have in my pocket!

But that doesn't necessarily mean I'm happy to see you either.

Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?

<9blyh6rjzyi5$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60688&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60688

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 11:37:09 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 16:37 UTC

Herbert Kleebauer wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Why are you moving the keyboard BEFORE disconnecting it? Unplug the
>> keyboard's USB cable from your laptop, and THEN move the keyboard.
>
> I think it is not a good idea to always unplug the keyboard.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hardware#Durability :
> "Standard USB has a minimum rated lifetime of 1,500 cycles of
> insertion and removal".

Then plug in a USB shortie cable (4" to 6" length), leave that always
plugged into the laptop's USB port, and use the other end for the
physical disconnect of the USB keyboard. USB shorties are super cheap
(under $6) and will last YEARS.

You are citing the insertion cycling rating for standard USB. We don't
know the type of USB port the OP is using. Could be USB-C (10K cycles).
That rating is an average. Don't be abusive to the USB ports by roughly
jamming in the plugs, inserting at an angle, putting sideways torque on
the plug, etc. Also, the ratings do not cover the quality of the port.
Some USB-A ports are rated for 10K to 20K cycles. Using a shortie cable
will severely reduce the cycle count, and they're easily replaced.

Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?

<1cr4qal3qmz4b$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60690&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60690

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 11:46:23 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 16:46 UTC

R.Wieser wrote:

> "Herbert Kleebauer" <klee@unibwm.de> wrote
>
>> VanguardLH wrote:
>>
>>> Why are you moving the keyboard BEFORE disconnecting it? Unplug the
>>> keyboard's USB cable from your laptop, and THEN move the keyboard.
>>
>> I think it is not a good idea to always unplug the keyboard.
>
> Don't worry about that. The OP made rather clear in his initial
> message that he *doesn't* want to unplug the keyboard.
>
> IOW, its just vanguards own mind playing tricks on him, making him
> read stuff that has never been written (and than attack the other
> with it).

Other way around (for your insult): Vanguardlh reads stuff that HAS been
written, but ignores it.

"Unplugging is too much, I have to find the plug again, usually in the
dark"

Well, he shouldn't be using his laptop or unplugging/plugging USB
devices into it while he is driving, so he should be stopped somewhere
when he plays with himself, er, his computer. His hands should be on
the steering wheel while moving, not putzing around with his laptop and
keyboard. His eyes should be on the road while moving while driving,
not on his laptop or keyboard. If he is a passenger, and he total
unfamiliar with the laptop, TURN ON A LIGHT! Cars do have them.

Unless a convertible, what car doesn't have dome light (center, over
rear view mirror, or both)? Not knowing where are the USB ports alludes
the computer isn't his, and why he'd be unfamiliar with where are the
ports. If this happens a lot, micky should pack a penlight with his
laptop. No idea why micky suffers from loss of touch that he cannot
feel where are the USB ports.

Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?

<d8r63h11o82m32u78klveo1hkg73c67ut0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60697&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60697

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 19:18:20 +0200
 by: micky - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 17:18 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Wed, 16 Mar 2022 18:24:14 -0400, Paul
<nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>On 3/16/2022 5:25 PM, micky wrote:
>
>> I bring the smallest full-size keyboard I can find, and that is the
>> Dell. But that comes with another problem. When it's between the front
>> seats, for example, there is almost no place to grab it that is not a
>> key . Next trip I will bring one that's a bit bigger, with a border I
>> can hold on to. I wanted small to not take too much room in the
>> suitcase, but it's still too big for the computer bag, so I might as
>> well bring a bigger one. They don't weight much more or take much more
>> room.
>
>The smallest keyboard, is the "fold-up Bluetooth type".
>No idea what the key travel feels like.

I can't imagine it's what I'm used to.

And I'm not into new fangled gadgets like that. Probably expensive too,
and I usually buy keyboards at hamfests for a dollar each.

>Those are likely to be used with phones or computers.

> Paul

Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?

<nbr63htcv4j1glbe2ado8lmvdu6nn2iv9s@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60698&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60698

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 19:27:59 +0200
 by: micky - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 17:27 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Thu, 17 Mar 2022 00:00:58 +0100,
"R.Wieser" <address@not.available> wrote:

>micky,
>

>> I bring the smallest full-size keyboard I can find,
>
>You /really/ should have mentioned that in you initial message. That one
>reads as if you wanted to disconnect the laptops own, build-in keyboard -

You're right. I should have said that first. My mistake, my apology.

>which supposedly had a real USB connector that you could reach from the
>outside. And that doesn't make much sense. Something YK could well have
>stumbled over ...

LOL

>But in the case of an additional keyboard you could see if you can find an
>"usb power switch" (a short USB extension cable with a switch in the
>middle), which simply disconnects the power to the attached device. As you
>never unplug the cable you should be able to easily locate that switch.

That sounds very good.

>No idea how both the laptop and the keyboard respond to such a powerswitch
>though.

It's worth trying. The first one Amazon has is only $7
https://www.amazon.com/Switch-Extension-Upgraded-Strips-System/dp/B07T9BRNHW/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

I might have a permanent address in a month, but until then I only have
the car. There are big advantages but I'm getting tired of it anyhow.
Before you suggest Amazon lockers, I checked and they don't have them
here.

This is okay. I'll be prepared for the next trip.

>Regards,
>Rudy Wieser

Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?

<4nu63hhq877n1bg1kfq4s4jrq3o13sm161@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60702&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60702

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 11:17:37 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 18:17 UTC

On Wed, 16 Mar 2022 23:32:11 +0200, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Wed, 16 Mar 2022 08:00:33 -0400, YK
><youkidding@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>On 3/16/2022 6:18 AM, Herbert Kleebauer wrote:
>>> Use Google to searcch for "wireless keyboard on off switch"
>
>Thanks for the suggestion. But I use a wired keyboard. I googled "wired
>keyboard on off switch" and didn't find anything helpful, I guess since
>they don't have switches.

I've never had a keyboard with an on/off switch, and I don't remember
ever seeing one, but I wouldn't be so sure that they don't exist.

--
The real, original Ken Blake, not some other newcomer

Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?

<MPG.3c9d3498926d9a698fed4@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60707&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60707

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 13:06:24 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 20:06 UTC

On Wed, 16 Mar 2022 23:32:11 +0200, micky wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion. But I use a wired keyboard.

Then just unplug it. What am I missing?

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?

<t104v3$qg7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60708&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60708

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 13:16:33 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 20:16 UTC

Ken Blake wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2022 23:32:11 +0200, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
> wrote:
>
>> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Wed, 16 Mar 2022 08:00:33 -0400, YK
>> <youkidding@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Thanks for the suggestion. But I use a wired keyboard. I googled "wired
>> keyboard on off switch" and didn't find anything helpful, I guess since
>> they don't have switches.
>

> I've never had a keyboard with an on/off switch, and I don't remember
> ever seeing one, but I wouldn't be so sure that they don't exist.

Logitech has made keyboards with on/off switches for a long time.
I've a spare Logitech(it was end-of-year closeout sale with a mouse for
same price that the mouse was sold separately. Only needed a mouse.
I still prefer my Multi-media keyboard - usb, cabled.

On Logitech keyboards the on-off switch(like a Logitech mouse) is
usually on the bottom of the keyboard, other Logitech models its on the
top above the keys.

Many keyboards have another on-off switch - the batteries <g>

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?

<t1055v$sbb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60710&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60710

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 13:20:13 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 20:20 UTC

Stan Brown wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2022 23:32:11 +0200, micky wrote:
>> Thanks for the suggestion. But I use a wired keyboard.
>>

> Then just unplug it. What am I missing?

Not much.
I'm just wondering how one manages to use a keyboard while driving.
If not driving, it should be reasonably easy to find the disconnected
keyboard, cable etc. - it can only be in limited area inside the front seat.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?

<t11mm3$13c9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60741&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60741

From: addr...@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 11:24:51 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 10:24 UTC

Ken,

> I've never had a keyboard with an on/off switch, and I don't
> remember ever seeing one, but I wouldn't be so sure that they
> don't exist.

I've got a logitech K270 wireless keyboard and accompanying mouse, both with
on/off switches. Which makes them bag-able.

I've also got a Trust wireless keyboard and mouse, but there only the mouse
has got an on/off switch - which doesn't make much sense to me.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?

<t11n44$1adt$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60742&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60742

From: addr...@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 11:32:26 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 10:32 UTC

Stan,

> Then just unplug it. What am I missing?

Not much. Just the second-to-last paragraph in, and about 25% of the OPs
initial question.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?

<t11o4a$1poh$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60744&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60744

From: addr...@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 11:49:31 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 10:49 UTC

Winston,

> If not driving, it should be reasonably easy to find the disconnected
> keyboard, cable etc. - it can only be in limited area inside the front
> seat

True, finding the cable would not be much of a problem.

But when was the last time you tried to plug an USB cable (or device) in bad
light conditions ? Not all that easy.

And I say that with the experience of trying to plug in USB sticks into a
desktop 'puter in rather good light conditions. You have to align the plug
and receptable rather exactly, as even a deviation of a mm or two (in any
direction) or just a few degrees of rotation will stop you from inserting
it.

.... which is colloquially documented by the "you have to flip the plug
upside-down twice to get it to insert" effect :-)

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Is there a way to disconnect your laptop keyboard,?

<t11osu$62q$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60746&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60746

From: addr...@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 12:02:43 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 11:02 UTC

Vanguard,

>> IOW, its just vanguards own mind playing tricks on him, making him
>> read stuff that has never been written (and than attack the other
>> with it).
>
> Other way around (for your insult): Vanguardlh reads stuff that HAS been
> written, but ignores it.
>
> "Unplugging is too much, I have to find the plug again, usually in the
> dark"

Thanks for confirming that the OP didn't want to unplug the keyboard, and
has said as much. As such your "your doing it (the order of putting the
keyboard away and *unplugging*) wrong" is just made-up bullshit.

The rest of your scribblings ? Meh, just you trying to change the subject.
Discarded.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser