Debian is like Suse with yast turned off, just better. :) -- Goswin Brederlow

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Bit Driver Updater

SubjectAuthor
* Bit Driver Updaterjaugustine
+* Re: Bit Driver UpdaterAndy Burns
|`- Re: Bit Driver UpdaterJ. P. Gilliver (John)
+- Re: Bit Driver UpdaterPaul
`* Re: Bit Driver UpdaterPaul in Houston TX
 `* Re: Bit Driver UpdaterPiet
  `* Re: Bit Driver UpdaterKen Blake
   `* Re: Bit Driver UpdaterRene Lamontagne
    `- Re: Bit Driver UpdaterPiet

1
Bit Driver Updater

<jq863hpopouote22rlnenooe6cnegcngsa@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60678&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60678

From: jaugust...@verizon.net
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Bit Driver Updater
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 07:06:33 -0500
 by: jaugust...@verizon.net - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 12:06 UTC

Hi,

I recently downloaded "Bit Driver Updater" for Windows 10.

I have not used it yet.

This program scans all your drivers to check if any should
be updated.

Has anyone used this?

What is your impression?

Thank You in advance, John

Re: Bit Driver Updater

<j9gjcnFdhnbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60679&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60679

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Bit Driver Updater
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 11:12:22 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 11:12 UTC

jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:

> I recently downloaded "Bit Driver Updater" for Windows 10.
> This program scans all your drivers to check if any should
> be updated.
> What is your impression?

You should remove it

Re: Bit Driver Updater

<t0vd18$7g7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60680&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60680

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 09:28:07 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 13:28 UTC

On 3/17/2022 8:06 AM, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently downloaded "Bit Driver Updater" for Windows 10.
>
> I have not used it yet.
>
> This program scans all your drivers to check if any should
> be updated.
>
> Has anyone used this?
>
> What is your impression?
>
> Thank You in advance, John

This tends to be unnecessary on Windows 10, because
between the in-box (on the Win10 DVD) drivers, plus the
video drivers coming from Windows Update (catalog server),
the OS has a set of drivers already.

This means things like "Bit Driver", don't have a place on the OS.

The only thing that doesn't have a driver in my computer room,
is a Hauppauge TV tuner card. The company did not deposit a driver
with Microsoft. Neither does Linux have a driver, but there is
a difference in that case -- a proprietary firmware file is needed,
and the Linux distro itself is not allowed to carry it. You have
to snarf that from a *private persons* server, to get the Linux
thing working. On Windows, the DVD in the Hauppauge cardboard box
has a driver, but not the TV tuner software (which costs extra).

Everything else in the computer room has a driver.
And without a Hamburger Helper program to do it.
Just Windows does it now.

When Win10 10240 came out, the situation was pretty bad.
All the System items (internal processor drivers, some
chipset things), those were missing. I let the OS sit for
about three months, and they didn't fix it. I installed the
System drivers myself, in disgust. But things have improved
since then, and the automation works better than it used to.
I don't even think they tried to intentionally break it
on Windows 11, but... give them time :-)

Paul

Re: Bit Driver Updater

<qpm6dnNEC9MiFwEH@a.a>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60722&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60722

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 00:21:24 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 00:21 UTC

On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 at 11:12:22, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote
(my responses usually FOLLOW):
>jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
>
>> I recently downloaded "Bit Driver Updater" for Windows 10.
>> This program scans all your drivers to check if any should
>> be updated.
>> What is your impression?
>
>You should remove it

Seconded. IME, "we'll check your drivers" prog.s tend to come from very
dodgy (either malicious, or at best badly-written) sources.

In general, if you have drivers that work for your hardware, you should
almost _never_ change them - "up"date, or even roll-back. The only time
you should change a driver is if a new version _either_ fixes a _known_
problem, or offers some new facility that you actually _want_. Someone -
let alone some_thing_ - telling you that one or more of your drivers
"should" be updated should (unless one of the two above reasons apply
(in which case you won't need _telling_, you'll have gone _looking_ for
updated drivers) be met with the question "why?". If they/it can't give
you an answer other than "because this one is newer", they're at best
useless, more likely dangerous.

Even manufacturer-supplied "driver updaters" are dubious; my Samsung
"netbook" on XP had one, which I let do its thing when it wanted.
Eventually I was getting - non often, but often enough to be irritating
- freezes; reading the user group/forum/whatever told me that the last
update to the graphics hardware driver was at fault, and I should roll
back - which I did, and the freezes went away. I did hope they'd fix it
in a future update, but they never did. (The graphics hardware wasn't
Samsung - I forget who it was.)

Only dirty people need wash

Re: Bit Driver Updater

<t10kem$eub$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60724&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60724

From: Pau...@Houston.Texas (Paul in Houston TX)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 19:40:40 -0500
 by: Paul in Houston TX - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 00:40 UTC

jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently downloaded "Bit Driver Updater" for Windows 10.
> I have not used it yet.
> This program scans all your drivers to check if any should
> be updated.
> Has anyone used this?
> What is your impression?
> Thank You in advance, John

Why would you want your drivers updated?

Re: Bit Driver Updater

<t11l5j$bki$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60738&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60738

From: www.godf...@opt-in.invalid (Piet)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 10:59:18 +0100
 by: Piet - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 09:59 UTC

Paul in Houston TX wrote:
> jaugustine wrote:
>> I recently downloaded "Bit Driver Updater" for Windows 10.
>> I have not used it yet.
>> This program scans all your drivers to check if any should
>> be updated.
>> Has anyone used this?
>> What is your impression?
>> Thank You in advance, John
>
> Why would you want your drivers updated?

Because something doesn't work properly?
Not everything is covered by MS updates.
But after one bad experience many years
ago I don't trust any driver updater.

-p

Re: Bit Driver Updater

<cp993h50ejdvopfn470p1lot6jul0b8vcn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60752&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60752

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 08:40:23 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 15:40 UTC

On Fri, 18 Mar 2022 10:59:18 +0100, Piet
<www.godfatherof.nl/@opt-in.invalid> wrote:

>Paul in Houston TX wrote:
>> jaugustine wrote:
>>> I recently downloaded "Bit Driver Updater" for Windows 10.
>>> I have not used it yet.
>>> This program scans all your drivers to check if any should
>>> be updated.
>>> Has anyone used this?
>>> What is your impression?
>>> Thank You in advance, John
>>
>> Why would you want your drivers updated?
>
>Because something doesn't work properly?

Yes, a very good reason. Also because you need or want some new
feature that's only supported in the new driver.

But not for any other reason. Not just because a new version exists.

>Not everything is covered by MS updates.
>But after one bad experience many years
>ago I don't trust any driver updater.

All driver updaters should be avoided, as far as I'm concerned. Get
updates from the manufacturer's web site.

--
The real, original Ken Blake, not some other newcomer

Re: Bit Driver Updater

<j9jotcF1rltU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60753&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60753

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 11:05:01 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 16:05 UTC

On 2022-03-18 10:40 a.m., Ken Blake wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2022 10:59:18 +0100, Piet
> <www.godfatherof.nl/@opt-in.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Paul in Houston TX wrote:
>>>
>>> Why would you want your drivers updated?
>>
>> Because something doesn't work properly?
>
> Yes, a very good reason. Also because you need or want some new
> feature that's only supported in the new driver.
>
> But not for any other reason. Not just because a new version exists.
>

>> Not everything is covered by MS updates.
>> But after one bad experience many years
>> ago I don't trust any driver updater.
>

> All driver updaters should be avoided, as far as I'm concerned. Get
> updates from the manufacturer's web site.

They are 'snake oil at best', 'snake venom at worst'. :-(

Rene

Re: Bit Driver Updater

<t12n71$1poo$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60766&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60766

From: www.godf...@opt-in.invalid (Piet)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 20:40:18 +0100
 by: Piet - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 19:40 UTC

Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> Ken Blake wrote:
>> All driver updaters should be avoided, as far as I'm concerned.
>> Get updates from the manufacturer's web site.
>
> They are 'snake oil at best', 'snake venom at worst'. :-(

But snake venom is needed to produce snake-antivenom.

-p