From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Computer freezes!
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 21:41:16 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 01:41 UTC

On 3/17/2022 6:12 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
> I leave it on overnight for downloads.
>
> Sometimes (about once/month) it freezes, and the screen is black, and
> no amount of trying will get it going again.
>
> I'm reduced to unplugging the power and then plugging this in again
> and starting the startup routine.
>
> This startup takes much longer than normal.
>
> There is no power outages here because all other equipt is normal,
> including the microwave whose timer flashes zero after any outages.
>
> Where in "Event Viewer" can I get a clue as to what's going on?

Are the downloads done with a Browser, or with some TOR client ?

There's an issue with Browsers that composite 60 times a second
and the DWM Display Manager. The Browser can run the system out
of RAM, which may cause a freeze or a crash.

Paul

Re: Computer freezes!

<t13kaq$o60$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60778&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60778

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 23:57:03 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 03:57 UTC

On 3/18/2022 5:37 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 21:41:16 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> On 3/17/2022 6:12 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
>>> I leave it on overnight for downloads.
>>>
>>> Sometimes (about once/month) it freezes, and the screen is black, and
>>> no amount of trying will get it going again.
>>>
>>> I'm reduced to unplugging the power and then plugging this in again
>>> and starting the startup routine.
>>>
>>> This startup takes much longer than normal.
>>>
>>> There is no power outages here because all other equipt is normal,
>>> including the microwave whose timer flashes zero after any outages.
>>>
>>> Where in "Event Viewer" can I get a clue as to what's going on?
>>>

>> Are the downloads done with a Browser, or with some TOR client ?
>
> I'm not using TOR though it's on the computer.
>>
>> There's an issue with Browsers that composite 60 times a second
>> and the DWM Display Manager. The Browser can run the system out
>> of RAM, which may cause a freeze or a crash.
>>
>> Paul

The only other thing I can suggest, is remoting into the
machine. Or testing it with "ping 192.168.1.3" type of
thing and see if it is still responding. Many times a freeze
is just the display portion, and the kernel is still alive.

The thing is, if you remote in, even the remoting software
stack can jam up the same way as DWM might. It's not a sure thing
you can continue to steer the machine from the remote connection.
And if the machine is out of RAM, there's no guarantee that
sending a request at that point, to remote in, will be honored either.

On Linux situations, I use /dev/ttyS0 and leave a serial connection
running. If the GUI freezes up, I then use a second machine, via
that serial connection, and if the machine is alive, I can most always
have a look around. Run "top" or "ps" to see what is running.

But Windows doesn't have text connections like that (not that I
know of, maybe there is some way with a telnetd daemon). It does have
WinDBG and you can do remote debug, but then you need to know a
lot to steer WinDBG and get info from it.

Paul

Re: Computer freezes!

<t15f3a.dao.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60792&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60792

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 19 Mar 2022 19:40:38 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 19:40 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
[...]

> The only other thing I can suggest, is remoting into the
> machine. Or testing it with "ping 192.168.1.3" type of
> thing and see if it is still responding. Many times a freeze
> is just the display portion, and the kernel is still alive.
>
> The thing is, if you remote in, even the remoting software
> stack can jam up the same way as DWM might. It's not a sure thing
> you can continue to steer the machine from the remote connection.
> And if the machine is out of RAM, there's no guarantee that
> sending a request at that point, to remote in, will be honored either.

For such cases, I first try to connect to a Network Share which points
to the problem machine. That worked quite nicely when SWMBO's laptop was
indeed having display problems, instead of being 'dead'.

[Silly talk involving a real operating system deleted.]

Re: Computer freezes!

<35d95h5m0a93105fk8cdi9cgfiehirk9sk@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61603&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61603

From: pj...@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 09:09:14 +1000
 by: Peter Jason - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 23:09 UTC

On Fri, 18 Mar 2022 23:57:03 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
wrote:

>On 3/18/2022 5:37 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
>> On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 21:41:16 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> Are the downloads done with a Browser, or with some TOR client ?
>>
>> I'm not using TOR though it's on the computer.
>>>
>>> There's an issue with Browsers that composite 60 times a second
>>> and the DWM Display Manager. The Browser can run the system out
>>> of RAM, which may cause a freeze or a crash.
>>>
>>> Paul
>
>The only other thing I can suggest, is remoting into the
>machine. Or testing it with "ping 192.168.1.3" type of
>thing and see if it is still responding. Many times a freeze
>is just the display portion, and the kernel is still alive.
>
>The thing is, if you remote in, even the remoting software
>stack can jam up the same way as DWM might. It's not a sure thing
>you can continue to steer the machine from the remote connection.
>And if the machine is out of RAM, there's no guarantee that
>sending a request at that point, to remote in, will be honored either.
>
>On Linux situations, I use /dev/ttyS0 and leave a serial connection
>running. If the GUI freezes up, I then use a second machine, via
>that serial connection, and if the machine is alive, I can most always
>have a look around. Run "top" or "ps" to see what is running.
>
>But Windows doesn't have text connections like that (not that I
>know of, maybe there is some way with a telnetd daemon). It does have
>WinDBG and you can do remote debug, but then you need to know a
>lot to steer WinDBG and get info from it.
>
> Paul

I have just replaced the 8 year-old modem and the 8-port LAN switch
(same age) as preventative maintenance. Maybe the shutdowns will go
away. I'll report back.