From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Gronk)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Subject: Do InControl & Never10 really stop Windows updates from loading?
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 19:59:48 -0600
 by: Gronk - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 01:59 UTC

Do InControl & Never10 really stop Windows updates from loading?
https://www.grc.com/freepopular.htm

InControl <https://www.grc.com/incontrol.htm>
Easily control Windows out-of-control updating and upgrading.
Many people are happy with their current version of Windows and dislike
having Microsoft pushing feature releases and new versions any time they
choose. InControl gives the Windows user control over if and when their
Windows operating system is changed.
(All monthly security updates will always be received.)
<https://www.grc.com/files/incontrol.exe>

Never10 <https://www.grc.com/never10.htm>
Easily disable (or re-enable) automatic Windows 10 upgrading
Many people are happy with their current version of Windows and would rather
than have Microsoft downloading and installing a three gigabyte upgrade to
Windows 10. This simple utility uses Microsoft-approved and provided
registry and group policy setting to tell 'Get Windows 10' (GWX) not to.
It can be run at any time to re-verify or change those settings.
<https://www.grc.com/files/never10.exe>

Re: Do InControl & Never10 really stop Windows updates from loading?

<t10s7q$s7m$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60729&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60729

From: r9j...@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 19:53:42 -0700
 by: John C. - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 02:53 UTC

Gronk wrote:
> Do InControl & Never10 really stop Windows updates from loading?
> https://www.grc.com/freepopular.htm
>
> InControl <https://www.grc.com/incontrol.htm>
> Easily control Windows out-of-control updating and upgrading.      Many
> people are happy with their current version of Windows and dislike
> having Microsoft pushing feature releases and new versions any time they
> choose. InControl gives the Windows user control over if and when their
> Windows operating system is changed. (All monthly security updates will
> always be received.)
> <https://www.grc.com/files/incontrol.exe>
>
> Never10 <https://www.grc.com/never10.htm>
> Easily disable (or re-enable) automatic Windows 10 upgrading      Many
> people are happy with their current version of Windows and would rather
> than have Microsoft downloading and installing a three gigabyte upgrade to
> Windows 10. This simple utility uses Microsoft-approved and provided
> registry and group policy setting to tell 'Get Windows 10' (GWX) not to.
> It can be run at any time to re-verify or change those settings.
> <https://www.grc.com/files/never10.exe>

Never10 was a program that prevented Windows 7 or 8.1 from being
"upgraded" to Windows 10. It's obsolete at this point.

--
John C. BS206. No ad, CD, commercial, cripple, demo, nag, pirated,
share, spy, time-limited, trial or web wares for me please. I filter out

Re: Do InControl & Never10 really stop Windows updates from loading?

<t110pc$t98$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60731&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60731

From: gtay...@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 22:11:50 -0600
 by: Grant Taylor - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 04:11 UTC

On 3/17/22 7:59 PM, Gronk wrote:
> Do InControl & Never10 really stop Windows updates from loading?

Purportedly InControl prevented a woefully out of date Windows 10 system
from updating to current.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: Do InControl & Never10 really stop Windows updates from loading?

<t119l2$ev5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60735&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60735

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 02:42:42 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 06:42 UTC

On 3/17/2022 9:59 PM, Gronk wrote:
> Do InControl & Never10 really stop Windows updates from loading?
> https://www.grc.com/freepopular.htm
>
> InControl <https://www.grc.com/incontrol.htm>
> Easily control Windows out-of-control updating and upgrading. Many people are happy with their current version of Windows and dislike
> having Microsoft pushing feature releases and new versions any time they
> choose. InControl gives the Windows user control over if and when their
> Windows operating system is changed. (All monthly security updates will always be received.)
> <https://www.grc.com/files/incontrol.exe>
>
> Never10 <https://www.grc.com/never10.htm>
> Easily disable (or re-enable) automatic Windows 10 upgrading Many people are happy with their current version of Windows and would rather
> than have Microsoft downloading and installing a three gigabyte upgrade to
> Windows 10. This simple utility uses Microsoft-approved and provided
> registry and group policy setting to tell 'Get Windows 10' (GWX) not to. It can be run at any time to re-verify or change those settings.
> <https://www.grc.com/files/never10.exe>

Specify_target_Feature_Update_version_to_21H2.reg <=== six line text file, as shown below
<=== keeps OS on Windows 10 21H2 as update path

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
"ProductVersion"="Windows 10" <=== Name the OS wanted
"TargetReleaseVersion"=dword:00000001
"TargetReleaseVersionInfo"="21H2" <=== Name the target here

*******

That example brings your current Windows 10 to 21H2 and
prevents it from going to Windows 11. If everyone else
was on 22H1 as an example, you would stay stuck on 21H2.
Once you'd prevented updates for several releases, your
OS would go "out of support", and not get useful Windows
Updates.

If you wanted to hop over to Windows 11, you would do this,
as both OSes happen to have a release with the same name. That
won't always be the case, as the release frequency could be
different on the two of them.

"ProductVersion"="Windows 11"
"TargetReleaseVersion"=dword:00000001
"TargetReleaseVersionInfo"="21H2"

It's not the same set of controls used when dealing with GWX.

There might be on the order of twenty or thirty registry entries
like that, and as in Firefox, some of them are Fisher Price
busybox controls simply spinning around and not doing anything.
Some of them were stream controls, like a Long Term versus
regular release stream (maybe Enterprise-like with an older
more stable browser version). That topic never seems to come
up now.

Generally, if there is a GPEDIT for something, then the
controls probably work. Part of Microsoft's game, is a registry
entry might not even be present in the Registry at this time,
and that means the item is "not configured". And that's a good
way of obfuscating new controls they don't want people to know
about.

The GPEDIT policies have on occasion been available as a .xlsx
spreadsheet, with the associated registry settings for them shown.

But a control can also be hidden enough, it's not in GPEDIT either.

*******

Like all OSes, you need to evaluate the latest incarnation as
soon as you can, to see whether it is ever going to be an option for you.

Place it on a separate disk drive, if testing on a desktop. Some other
hardware types, may not present as easy or pleasant a test platform.

For example, say your current CPU is "no damn good" for Windows 11.
You want to at least use a hack or such, to load Windows 11 and
test the interface on it. It may turn out, you would never consider
buying newer hardware just for the express purpose of running W11.

For example, on Windows 11, I used the new-to-11 Notepad to open a 128MB
text file. Something that loads pretty well instantly on Windows 10
(which has a fixed/repaired version of Notepad). On Windows 11, your
CPU can be railed on one core for at least ten minutes trying
to finish loading the sample file. Any file with a large number
of "lines" in it, seems to flummox the (new) Notepad in Windows 11.
It's not necessarily just the byte count that matters. The designers
on Windows 10, seemed to do something to fix the old "every find
and replace microstep must repaint the screen" bug. Notepad has
been a pathetic application for most of its natural life. And on
Windows 10, it actually worked! <shocker>

Paul

Re: Do InControl & Never10 really stop Windows updates from loading?

<t1276m$1pp1b$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60749&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60749

From: canope...@gmail.com (Thomas)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 08:07:04 -0700
 by: Thomas - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 15:07 UTC

On 18/03/2022 02:42, Paul wrote:

> Like all OSes, you need to evaluate the latest incarnation as
> soon as you can, to see whether it is ever going to be an option for you.

I would change only one word.
I would change "as /soon/ as you can" to "as /late/ as you can."

The reason being that there isn't usually anything interesting in the latest
OS release other than inevitable bugs which you'd rather others flesh out.