From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Computer freezes!
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 10:21:13 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 10:21 UTC

Peter Jason wrote:
> I leave it on overnight for downloads.
>
> Sometimes (about once/month) it freezes, and the screen is black, and
> no amount of trying will get it going again.
>
> I'm reduced to unplugging the power and then plugging this in again
> and starting the startup routine.
>
> This startup takes much longer than normal.
>
> There is no power outages here because all other equipt is normal,
> including the microwave whose timer flashes zero after any outages.
>
> Where in "Event Viewer" can I get a clue as to what's going on?

Those symptoms are exactly what I had with one of my boxes some months
ago; freezes happening more regularly until they were happening daily. I
finally found the cause; dust in the CPU heatsink, causing gradually
increasing temperature rises.
You need to monitor the internal temperatures. Try this;
https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy

BTW, nothing useful appeared in Events, other than a sudden shutdown
recorded.

Ed