"The following is not for the weak of heart or Fundamentalists." -- Dave Barry

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Lootboxes + NFT = Atari GFT

SubjectAuthor
* Lootboxes + NFT = Atari GFTJAB
+* Re: Lootboxes + NFT = Atari GFTSpalls Hurgenson
|`* Re: Lootboxes + NFT = Atari GFTJAB
| `* Re: Lootboxes + NFT = Atari GFTSpalls Hurgenson
|  `- Re: Lootboxes + NFT = Atari GFTJAB
`- Re: Lootboxes + NFT = Atari GFTZaghadka

1
Lootboxes + NFT = Atari GFT

<stav95$nd4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6088&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6088

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Lootboxes + NFT = Atari GFT
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 09:41:55 +0000
 by: JAB - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 09:41 UTC

Well isn't that just lovely. Take two of the worst parts of gaming and
combine then into something even worse. How lovely and how is this not
classed as gambling.

https://gftshoppe.com/atari#start

Re: Lootboxes + NFT = Atari GFT

<8ulivgdvd332grs3hgfv7p1lv3b2em8s54@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6093&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6093

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Lootboxes + NFT = Atari GFT
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2022 11:02:41 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 16:02 UTC

On Tue, 1 Feb 2022 09:41:55 +0000, JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:

>Well isn't that just lovely. Take two of the worst parts of gaming and
>combine then into something even worse. How lovely and how is this not
>classed as gambling.

>https://gftshoppe.com/atari#start

The question needs to be asked: is this a result of marketing latching
onto a hot term in hopes it boosts sales, or some C-level who has
foolishly invested in Ethereum and is promoting it because - without
new buyers - the whole bubble collapses?

Although it's possible this isn't even a real Atari product. It's not
as if NFTs are renowned for their respect of copyright or IPs, after
all. It is quite possible somebody is just using their logo - and all
the appeal to nostalgia that brings with it - to boost their own
sales. Certainly the 'roadmap' and lack of any real product being
offered for sale seems indicative of this.

Of course, a real mix of lootboxes and crypto would be a LootCoin,
where you buy crypto currency and even you don't know what or how much
you get for your purchase until you open the box* :)

------------------
* Not my idea, sadly; saw it in a satirical video some time ago. Of
course, back then it was considered a joke... now there's almost
certainly some C-level working on the idea

Re: Lootboxes + NFT = Atari GFT

<stdi3v$6se$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6116&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6116

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 09:15:42 +0000
 by: JAB - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 09:15 UTC

On 01/02/2022 16:02, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> Although it's possible this isn't even a real Atari product. It's not
> as if NFTs are renowned for their respect of copyright or IPs, after
> all. It is quite possible somebody is just using their logo - and all
> the appeal to nostalgia that brings with it - to boost their own
> sales. Certainly the 'roadmap' and lack of any real product being
> offered for sale seems indicative of this.

I think it's legit but that's only based on if it wasn't I'd expect
there to be a story about it. Looking at the site I'm presuming who ever
owns the Atari brand have a deal with the company who is doing the
selling along the lines of you can use our brand but we get a cut of
every sale.

Re: Lootboxes + NFT = Atari GFT

<r2clvgdhn0j391aiouedmkhednqtmj1ccv@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6123&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6123

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 11:34:09 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 16:34 UTC

On Wed, 2 Feb 2022 09:15:42 +0000, JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:

>On 01/02/2022 16:02, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>> Although it's possible this isn't even a real Atari product. It's not
>> as if NFTs are renowned for their respect of copyright or IPs, after
>> all. It is quite possible somebody is just using their logo - and all
>> the appeal to nostalgia that brings with it - to boost their own
>> sales. Certainly the 'roadmap' and lack of any real product being
>> offered for sale seems indicative of this.
>>

>I think it's legit but that's only based on if it wasn't I'd expect
>there to be a story about it. Looking at the site I'm presuming who ever
>owns the Atari brand have a deal with the company who is doing the
>selling along the lines of you can use our brand but we get a cut of
>every sale.

I'll bow to your judgment, then. I was just commenting on how it
wouldn't surprise me if it were otherwise.

(There was an NFT that used the Inumusha IP, for instance, without
consulting the people who created or own the rights to the anime. The
creators of the NFT defended their action by saying, "Well, it's on
the blockchain now, so there's nothing you can do about it." (Data in
blockchains is, by nature, virtually impossible to delete). Which
always struck me as saying, "Yeah, I stole your stuff but then I put
it out on the street for anyone to take, so that makes me innocent.")

But neither would it surprise me if 'Atari' got itself involved in the
scheme. The company (once known as Infogrammes) has been making bank
off the name ever since they purchased it back in 2008. There's
nothing of the original Atari in this new company except for
transferred legal rights and, as such, the legacy of that company is
seen as nothing more than a way to make money by its new owners. So
using the name to shill for NFTs is perfectly in line with the
company.

Re: Lootboxes + NFT = Atari GFT

<stefef$hkp$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6132&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6132

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 17:36:14 +0000
 by: JAB - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 17:36 UTC

On 02/02/2022 16:34, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Feb 2022 09:15:42 +0000, JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 01/02/2022 16:02, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>>> Although it's possible this isn't even a real Atari product. It's not
>>> as if NFTs are renowned for their respect of copyright or IPs, after
>>> all. It is quite possible somebody is just using their logo - and all
>>> the appeal to nostalgia that brings with it - to boost their own
>>> sales. Certainly the 'roadmap' and lack of any real product being
>>> offered for sale seems indicative of this.
>>>

>> I think it's legit but that's only based on if it wasn't I'd expect
>> there to be a story about it. Looking at the site I'm presuming who ever
>> owns the Atari brand have a deal with the company who is doing the
>> selling along the lines of you can use our brand but we get a cut of
>> every sale.
>
> I'll bow to your judgment, then. I was just commenting on how it
> wouldn't surprise me if it were otherwise.
>
> (There was an NFT that used the Inumusha IP, for instance, without
> consulting the people who created or own the rights to the anime. The
> creators of the NFT defended their action by saying, "Well, it's on
> the blockchain now, so there's nothing you can do about it." (Data in
> blockchains is, by nature, virtually impossible to delete). Which
> always struck me as saying, "Yeah, I stole your stuff but then I put
> it out on the street for anyone to take, so that makes me innocent.")
>
> But neither would it surprise me if 'Atari' got itself involved in the
> scheme. The company (once known as Infogrammes) has been making bank
> off the name ever since they purchased it back in 2008. There's
> nothing of the original Atari in this new company except for
> transferred legal rights and, as such, the legacy of that company is
> seen as nothing more than a way to make money by its new owners. So
> using the name to shill for NFTs is perfectly in line with the
> company.

I could be totally wrong, and I wouldn't be surprised by that, but my
current guess is inline with the second part. It's just whoever owns the
Atari brand seeing the chance to make a quick buck

Re: Lootboxes + NFT = Atari GFT

<oeqlvgpptfuv3dj2qia4d3ns7dohd3d67l@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6134&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6134

From: zagha...@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 14:31:38 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 20:31 UTC

On Tue, 1 Feb 2022 09:41:55 +0000, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, JAB
wrote:

>Well isn't that just lovely. Take two of the worst parts of gaming and
>combine then into something even worse. How lovely and how is this not
>classed as gambling.
>
>https://gftshoppe.com/atari#start

Or, you know, run Stella/MAME/etc. I wonder how many of these turn out to
be A2600 E.T. lol

Why does it matter if you "own" an NFT of these things?

I do think calling it a GiFT is pretty clever marketing, though.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten