"Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time." -- a coffee cup

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Strange icon behavior

SubjectAuthor
* Strange icon behaviorMajorLanGod
`* Re: Strange icon behaviorVanguardLH
 +* Re: Strange icon behaviorMajorLanGod
 |+- Re: Strange icon behaviorPaul
 |`- Re: Strange icon behaviorVanguardLH
 `* Re: Strange icon behaviorMajorLanGod
  `* Re: Strange icon behaviorPaul
   `- Re: Strange icon behaviorMajorLanGod

1
Strange icon behavior

<XnsAE62C9742ACD3lonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.251>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60914&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60914

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Strange icon behavior
From: lonelyda...@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 00:48:07 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 00:48 UTC

Runing current version of Windows 11. I have four columns of icons that
point to programs on the left side of my screen. Each column has nine icons
in it. Every so often, when I try to click on on of the six icons (2 rows x
3 icons) in the lower right of the set, my cursor turns into the hourglass
waiting sysbol. If I go to the search icon on the task bar I can search for
the associated program and run it that way. Anyone have any idea as to why
this is happening, and hopefully how to fix it?

Re: Strange icon behavior

<iuwezlvs6jvr.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60928&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60928

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Strange icon behavior
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 23:48:44 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 04:48 UTC

MajorLanGod wrote:

> Runing current version of Windows 11. I have four columns of icons that
> point to programs on the left side of my screen. Each column has nine icons
> in it. Every so often, when I try to click on on of the six icons (2 rows x
> 3 icons) in the lower right of the set, my cursor turns into the hourglass
> waiting sysbol. If I go to the search icon on the task bar I can search for
> the associated program and run it that way. Anyone have any idea as to why
> this is happening, and hopefully how to fix it?

Right-click on a problematic icon, select Properties, go to the Shortcut
tab, and copy the Target field (the command to run). Press Win+R and
enter the command. Does it run?

Re: Strange icon behavior

<XnsAE63ADA75B121lonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.225>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60964&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60964

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: lonelyda...@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 22:04:14 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 22:04 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote in news:iuwezlvs6jvr.dlg@v.nguard.lh:

> MajorLanGod wrote:
>
>> Runing current version of Windows 11. I have four columns of icons
>> that point to programs on the left side of my screen. Each column has
>> nine icons in it. Every so often, when I try to click on on of the
>> six icons (2 rows x 3 icons) in the lower right of the set, my cursor
>> turns into the hourglass waiting sysbol. If I go to the search icon
>> on the task bar I can search for the associated program and run it
>> that way. Anyone have any idea as to why this is happening, and
>> hopefully how to fix it?
>
> Right-click on a problematic icon, select Properties, go to the
> Shortcut tab, and copy the Target field (the command to run). Press
> Win+R and enter the command. Does it run?

It just shows the hourglass icon and doesn't do anything else. Right
click does nothing.

Re: Strange icon behavior

<t1ge9l$1ke4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60973&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60973

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 20:33:59 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 00:33 UTC

On 3/23/2022 6:04 PM, MajorLanGod wrote:
> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote in news:iuwezlvs6jvr.dlg@v.nguard.lh:
>
>> MajorLanGod wrote:
>>
>>> Runing current version of Windows 11. I have four columns of icons
>>> that point to programs on the left side of my screen. Each column has
>>> nine icons in it. Every so often, when I try to click on on of the
>>> six icons (2 rows x 3 icons) in the lower right of the set, my cursor
>>> turns into the hourglass waiting sysbol. If I go to the search icon
>>> on the task bar I can search for the associated program and run it
>>> that way. Anyone have any idea as to why this is happening, and
>>> hopefully how to fix it?
>>
>> Right-click on a problematic icon, select Properties, go to the
>> Shortcut tab, and copy the Target field (the command to run). Press
>> Win+R and enter the command. Does it run?
>>
> It just shows the hourglass icon and doesn't do anything else. Right
> click does nothing.

How many right-click shell extensions have you
added to File Explorer ?

Check task manager and see what is railed on one core.

Paul

Re: Strange icon behavior

<XnsAE63D8ED0292Flonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.251>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60974&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60974

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: lonelyda...@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 02:19:27 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 02:19 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote in news:iuwezlvs6jvr.dlg@v.nguard.lh:

> MajorLanGod wrote:
>
>> Runing current version of Windows 11. I have four columns of icons
>> that point to programs on the left side of my screen. Each column has
>> nine icons in it. Every so often, when I try to click on on of the
>> six icons (2 rows x 3 icons) in the lower right of the set, my cursor
>> turns into the hourglass waiting sysbol. If I go to the search icon
>> on the task bar I can search for the associated program and run it
>> that way. Anyone have any idea as to why this is happening, and
>> hopefully how to fix it?
>
> Right-click on a problematic icon, select Properties, go to the
> Shortcut tab, and copy the Target field (the command to run). Press
> Win+R and enter the command. Does it run?

Since the arrow has turned into a hourglass, right click does nothing.
I logged off and bac on, and things are behaving right now.

Re: Strange icon behavior

<1ljq1pnj63jk2.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60975&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60975

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 22:36:15 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 03:36 UTC

MajorLanGod wrote:

> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote in news:iuwezlvs6jvr.dlg@v.nguard.lh:
>
>> MajorLanGod wrote:
>>
>>> Runing current version of Windows 11. I have four columns of icons
>>> that point to programs on the left side of my screen. Each column has
>>> nine icons in it. Every so often, when I try to click on on of the
>>> six icons (2 rows x 3 icons) in the lower right of the set, my cursor
>>> turns into the hourglass waiting sysbol. If I go to the search icon
>>> on the task bar I can search for the associated program and run it
>>> that way. Anyone have any idea as to why this is happening, and
>>> hopefully how to fix it?
>>
>> Right-click on a problematic icon, select Properties, go to the
>> Shortcut tab, and copy the Target field (the command to run). Press
>> Win+R and enter the command. Does it run?
>>
> It just shows the hourglass icon and doesn't do anything else. Right
> click does nothing.

I figured the icons of which you speak were shortcuts, not of you
right-clicking on the .exe file (to which a shortcut points). The .exe
runs, because you said searching for it gets it to run. The program
runs. Whatever are the icons you are clicking aren't working.

When you right-click on the icons (not to run whatever they point at,
but to get the context menu), you immediately get the busy cursor?
Shortcuts can point to files, or to class IDs for an app. What happens
when you create a new shortcut on the desktop to the program's .exe?
That is, right-click on the desktop, create new shortcut, and have it
point to the .exe file. Does using that new shortcut then work, just as
when you double-clicked the .exe itself?

Re: Strange icon behavior

<t1hd08$57a$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60990&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60990

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 05:18:01 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 09:18 UTC

On 3/23/2022 10:19 PM, MajorLanGod wrote:
> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote in news:iuwezlvs6jvr.dlg@v.nguard.lh:
>
>> MajorLanGod wrote:
>>
>>> Runing current version of Windows 11. I have four columns of icons
>>> that point to programs on the left side of my screen. Each column has
>>> nine icons in it. Every so often, when I try to click on on of the
>>> six icons (2 rows x 3 icons) in the lower right of the set, my cursor
>>> turns into the hourglass waiting sysbol. If I go to the search icon
>>> on the task bar I can search for the associated program and run it
>>> that way. Anyone have any idea as to why this is happening, and
>>> hopefully how to fix it?
>>
>> Right-click on a problematic icon, select Properties, go to the
>> Shortcut tab, and copy the Target field (the command to run). Press
>> Win+R and enter the command. Does it run?
>>

> Since the arrow has turned into a hourglass, right click does nothing.
> I logged off and bac on, and things are behaving right now.

Check your Windows Update history and see when the Patch Tuesday
installed. It could be, you caught the machine mid-update and
it had modified some services, then was unable to restart them
properly until a reboot happened along.

Paul

Re: Strange icon behavior

<XnsAE649F70B4A0Alonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.251>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61015&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61015

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: lonelyda...@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 20:40:26 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 20:40 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote in news:t1hd08$57a$2@dont-email.me:

> On 3/23/2022 10:19 PM, MajorLanGod wrote:
>> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote in news:iuwezlvs6jvr.dlg@v.nguard.lh:

>>> Right-click on a problematic icon, select Properties, go to the
>>> Shortcut tab, and copy the Target field (the command to run). Press
>>> Win+R and enter the command. Does it run?
>>>

>> Since the arrow has turned into a hourglass, right click does nothing.
>> I logged off and bac on, and things are behaving right now.
>>

> Check your Windows Update history and see when the Patch Tuesday
> installed. It could be, you caught the machine mid-update and
> it had modified some services, then was unable to restart them
> properly until a reboot happened along.
>
> Paul

Don't know about patches but I just went ahead and rebooted, and that
seemed to make the problem go away.