Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself.

computers / comp.misc / Re: new mozilla groups

SubjectAuthor
* Re: new mozilla groupsR. Mutt
`* Re: new mozilla groupsThe Real Bev
 `- Re: new mozilla groupsR. Mutt

1
Re: new mozilla groups

<608bb5e4$0$34999$a92e2ab9@news.vipernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=572&group=comp.misc#572

Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: new mozilla groups
From: R.M...@da.da (R. Mutt)
Date: 30 Apr 2021 07:46:44 GMT
 by: R. Mutt - Fri, 30 Apr 2021 07:46 UTC

Boris Dorestand <bdorestand@example.com> wrote:
> Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Fri, 23 Apr 2021 09:05:33 -0300
>> Boris Dorestand <bdorestand@example.com> wrote:

>>> Well said. Isn't spam and trolls the main USENET problem? If we made
>>> it really annoying for people to change identities all the time,
>>> wouldn't ``kill file'' reign once again?
>>
>> People have very different tastes when it comes to online discussions so I
>> consider it foolhardy to declare what is "the main" problem ; I would say
>> that's in the eye of the beholder. Some people seem to like embedded videos
>> in text ; I seem them appear regularly on some message boards. Some people
>> may like a "likes" and "dislikes" functionality which usenet doesn't offer.
>> So it is very much a matter of taste what is "the main" problem.
>>
>> Regarding your specific examples , all the spammers I see do not alter their
>> headers or have only 2-3 variations so they can very easily be filtered. But
>> this applies to people who don't read usenet through googlegroups. Regarding
>> trolls , it seems to me that some people feel psychologically compelled to
>> respond rather than have problems filtering them. A good example at present
>> (and it has been for a while) is comp.theory where at least 3 knowledgeable
>> people , none of which posts through googlegroups , keep responding to a
>> crackpot (I assume that crackpots fall under the description of trolls). They
>> must see it's futile but they keep doing it (and there are hardly any other
>> posts on the group apart from such exchanges anyway). So basically filtering
>> on usenet is a solved problem from a technical viewpoint but not from a human
>> viewpoint apparently.
>
> Yes, that's all certainly true.
>
> I wonder if the following could ever work. Say we propose an experiment
> in a new network of newsgroups, where each post passed from server to
> server is only accepted if the post is crypto-signed by a whitelisted
> identity. So a fool comes in with his identity and misbehaves, he gets
> a bunch of down votes from different identities and reaching its
> threshold that identity is banned forever. The messages the fool posted
> all remain, sure. Of course, we must discourage them from creating a
> new identity, which is not quite possible, but we can make account
> creation a really long process, say a year, unless you get an invitation
> from a well-respected member and the track of invitation is always
> public. If the fool comes back a year later (by creating a new
> uninvited account) then the person gets a second chance. As soon as the
> problem reinitiates, that identity is banned again forever. So this is
> a network where an identity is expensive and should be cared for, but if
> you got friends inside then it's cheap.
>
> I'm sure people have even better schemes than that. Why none of this
> has ever been tried on the USENET? Too foolish?

I’m pretty sure you can right now set your newsreader to only show posts
from “whitelisted” identities.

Re: new mozilla groups

<s6h8d9$r77$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=574&group=comp.misc#574

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 08:40:25 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Fri, 30 Apr 2021 15:40 UTC

On 04/30/2021 12:46 AM, R. Mutt wrote:

> I’m pretty sure you can right now set your newsreader to only show posts
> from “whitelisted” identities.

How is this functionally different from Facebook?

--
Cheers, Bev
I remember when everybody posted to Usenet with their real,

Re: new mozilla groups

<609b5070$0$21812$a92e2ab9@news.vipernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=610&group=comp.misc#610

Newsgroups: comp.misc
From: R.M...@da.da (R. Mutt)
Date: 12 May 2021 03:50:08 GMT
 by: R. Mutt - Wed, 12 May 2021 03:50 UTC

The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/30/2021 12:46 AM, R. Mutt wrote:
>
>> I’m pretty sure you can right now set your newsreader to only show posts
>> from “whitelisted” identities.
>
> How is this functionally different from Facebook?

That would be a question for Boris.