From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Microsoft Edge treats its tabs as Windows???
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 09:02:30 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 13:02 UTC

On 3/24/2022 5:44 AM, John Doe wrote:
> Alt+Tab switches among tabs???
>
> Really?
>
> Is there a way to turn that off, please?
>
> If so, maybe it has something to do, or is similar to, the Taskbar settings
> for some browsers. You know, like being able to display multiple
> previews/thumbnails for that single application when hovering your pointer
> over the Taskbar.
>
> Thanks.

That might be closer to the truth than it seems.

The browser tries to use isolation between tabs, to
prevent information theft. For example, a recent Windows
Update may have installed "Full Retpoline" on my poor little
Ryzen processor, as a means of fixing yet another Spectre/Meltdown
bug. And that's an attempt to reduce the chances for
information theft between processes and the like. A
lot of effort goes into isolation, eating up CPU
cycles.

The browsers don't seem to create new processes indefinitely,
and if you had 500 tabs, there won't be an army of 500
entries in Task Manager. Usually there is some ratio of
tabs to Content Processes.

But as far as the display of content windows, I could see
them wiring it up that way. It's a bit goofy, but it might
be a way for them to do it.

You can try right-clicking the desktop surface (so
the "desktop" has focus), then issue alt-tab, then
look at the entries and see if any correspond to
all of your current tabs. Can a process register multiple
times in alt-tab ? That, I don't know. That's because
when alt-tab was invented, there tended to be a 1:1
ratio between processes and the content they displayed.

Paul