Linux: The OS people choose without $200,000,000 of persuasion. -- Mike Coleman

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptops

SubjectAuthor
* Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptopsT
+* Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptopsRene Lamontagne
|`* Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptopsRene Lamontagne
| `* Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptopsT
|  `* Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptopsVanguardLH
|   `* Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptopsT
|    `* Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptopsVanguardLH
|     +* Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptopsCarlos E.R.
|     |`* Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptopsT
|     | +* Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptopsVanguardLH
|     | |`- Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptopsT
|     | `* Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptopsCarlos E.R.
|     |  +* Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptopsPaul
|     |  |+* Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptopsVanguardLH
|     |  ||`- Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptopsRene Lamontagne
|     |  |`- Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptopsCarlos E.R.
|     |  +* Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptopsVanguardLH
|     |  |`* Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptopsCarlos E.R.
|     |  | `- Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptopsVanguardLH
|     |  `- Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptopsT
|     `* Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptopsT
|      `- Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptopsRene Lamontagne
`* Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptopsPaul in Houston TX
 `* Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptopsT
  +- Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptopsRene Lamontagne
  +- Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptopsPaul in Houston TX
  `* Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptopsPaul
   `* Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptopsT
    `* Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptopsPaul
     +- Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptopsVanguardLH
     `- Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptopsT

Pages:12
Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptops

<ff4ugi-u5e.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60998&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60998

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptops
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 13:23:43 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 12:23 UTC

On 2022-03-24 05:36, VanguardLH wrote:
> Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
>> T wrote:
>>
>>> I am starting to think a dual hose portable AC might be a better
>>> idea.
>>
>> I had one on my computer room. Made an awful noise, and was inefficient.
>> Wait, dual hose? I have not seen those.
>
> https://www.homedepot.com/b/Heating-Venting-Cooling-Air-Conditioners-Portable-Air-Conditioners/Dual-Hose/N-5yc1vZc4m4Z1z17ztx

Access Denied
You don't have permission to access
"http://www.homedepot.com/b/Heating-Venting-Cooling-Air-Conditioners-Portable-Air-Conditioners/Dual-Hose/N-5yc1vZc4m4Z1z17ztx"
on this server.

Reference #18.7c231102.1648124338.12bdc75

The entire https://www.homedepot.com/ gives the same result.

> https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=dual%20hose%20portable%20air%20conditioner

That yes.

I'm curious, I'll check to see if they sell them here.

I remember seeing a portable system that was composed of two units
connected with a flexible tubing, relatively thin.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptops

<ja3iu8F3ikuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61004&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61004

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 11:01:13 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 16:01 UTC

On 2022-03-23 11:02 p.m., VanguardLH wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>
>> Carlos E.R. wrote:
>>
>>> Wait, dual hose? I have not seen those.
>>
>> That's a portable air conditioner on wheels, about three
>> to four feet tall, with two hoses on the hot side.
>
> One hose is an intake from outside.
> Other hose is an exhaust to the outside.
> The compressor gets intake air from outside, and discard exhaust air to
> the outside. A separate fan pushes inside air across the exchanger to
> cool the room.
>
> https://www.eliteheatingandac.com/blog/single-hose-vs-dual-hose-air-conditioners/
>
>> You can even fit the two hoses to a window insert that
>> sits in one window opening. The hoses can be next to
>> one another.
>
> I've see a dual-hose unit that had one fat hose: one hose was nestled
> inside the other hose.
>
>> But it would work slightly better with two windows, and
>> one hose in each window.
>
> Not required for dual-hose. However, separating the intake and exhaust
> ends on the outside would eliminate the intake picking up heated air
> from the exhaust. If there is insufficient width in the window, you
> could droop the intake hose to be closer to the ground, and hang the
> exhaust hose to be farther up, like separating them by 30".
>
>> The single hose model, blows room air out through
>> the exhaust hose, as part of the hot side solution.
>> Which is a waste of moderately cool indoor air, and
>> it causes the machine to take longer to drop
>> the room air temperature.
>
> Whether single- or dual-hose, portable A/C units are inefficient (low
> [C]EER rating) compared to the in-window or in-wall units (which are
> less efficient than whole-home forced air systems). Picking similar BTU
> sized portable and window units, a dual-hose portable A/C has <5 CEER
> compared to 10-15 for a windows A/C unit.
>
> T better hope his customers don't make him hook up the portable A/C unit
> to a killowatt meter to deduct from his fee the cost of his cooling. He
> had also hope that the outlet to which he connects his portable A/C unit
> is on a circuit that can handle the normal load (amperes) plus the extra
> load from his portable A/C. Because of low efficiency, a portable A/C
> unit will consume the same amperes as an in-window unit of higher BTU.
>
> Although the unit is denoted as portable, it isn't lightweight (check
> the weight to make sure you can lug it around, especially up stairs), it
FFRA051WA1 Frigidaire Window Mounted Room AC 5000 BTU, White
> consumes floor space (will there be room for it), requires a nearby
> window where it can be positioned on the floor, and will need an adapter
> plate to hold the hoses into a window opening (and accomodate windows
> that slide up and those that slide sideways). Although "portable",
> they're really rather permanent: you set them up, and leave them there
> for a long time.

Last summer I picked up 2 FFRA051WA1 Frigidaire Window Mounted Room AC
5000 BTU, White window units from Amazon.ca for our apartment bedrooms
which were not air conditioned for the unbelievable low price of
$170.00 cdn. each

As these are meant for vertical windows it took a little time, some
plywood, weatherstripping and effort to make up my own windows mounting
kits to accommodate our horizontal sliders, The mounts turned out well
and it is quite easy to install and remove them spring and fall.

These units are small 16" x 16" x 13" and are meant for small rooms 150
sq feet or so, At full Hi fan Hi cool they draw about 4.3 amps at 120
Volts , At medium or low they draw about 3.1 amps which is about where
I run them, They are also very quite, I don't even barely hear them,
just a low hum, and they do an excellent job of cooling these rooms.

The Seer # on these is 11.1, so fairly efficient.

Rene

Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptops

<1myqoww8hafcy.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61005&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61005

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 11:04:11 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 16:04 UTC

Carlos E.R. wrote:

> On 2022-03-24 05:36, VanguardLH wrote:
>> Carlos E.R. wrote:

>>> I had one on my computer room. Made an awful noise, and was inefficient.
>>> Wait, dual hose? I have not seen those.
>>
>> https://www.homedepot.com/b/Heating-Venting-Cooling-Air-Conditioners-Portable-Air-Conditioners/Dual-Hose/N-5yc1vZc4m4Z1z17ztx" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.homedepot.com/b/Heating-Venting-Cooling-Air-Conditioners-Portable-Air-Conditioners/Dual-Hose/N-5yc1vZc4m4Z1z17ztx
>
> Access Denied
> You don't have permission to access
> "http://www.homedepot.com/b/Heating-Venting-Cooling-Air-Conditioners-Portable-Air-Conditioners/Dual-Hose/N-5yc1vZc4m4Z1z17ztx"
> on this server.
>
> Reference #18.7c231102.1648124338.12bdc75
>
> The entire https://www.homedepot.com/ gives the same result.
>
>> https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=dual%20hose%20portable%20air%20conditioner
>
> That yes.
>
> I'm curious, I'll check to see if they sell them here.
>
> I remember seeing a portable system that was composed of two units
> connected with a flexible tubing, relatively thin.

Probably a regional blocking thing. Home Depot is in the USA, and
you're trying to connect from Spain. I don't know what are the big and
popular hardware stores in your area, or if I'd get blocked, like you
were, surfing international to a regional site.

If you use a [public] VPN with an exit node in the USA, you can probably
visit that site.

Lowes.com has both USA and Canadian stores, so maybe they're more widely
spread, and accessible to you.

Find whatever major hardware outlets there are in your area, search
their site on "portable air conditioner", and check which have dual
hoses, or one "hose" which is a concentric configuration (one hose
inside the other). Hopefully the store site has photos of their
products, so you could see if 2 hoses go to the window. If they show
just 1 hose, it is not a dual-hose unit, or it uses concentric tubes.
There is no insulation between the outer and inner hoses in a concentric
tube, so they are even less efficient than the dual-hose configuration,
and portable A/C units already have low efficiency.

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=portable+air+conditioner&refinement=1720595258081,1820658096780
Not all are dual-hose (no search filter on that criteria).

A single-hose unit will suck air in from the room and the exhaust goes
out the window. That means it sucks in air that was cooled in the room
to expel outside. There also must been airflow into the room to
replenish the room's air that got sucked into the unit to get exhausted
outside. A dual-hose unit's hoses only intake and exhaust the outside
air, so the room's cooled air isn't sucked out nor does the room need
airflow into the room (i.e., you can close the door).

1-hose units are recommended for small rooms. To find dual-hose units,
look at units for large rooms, like over 500 sq ft, or look at the
higher BTU rated portable A/C units, like 8000+ BTU. Those are not
guarantees to find dual-hose units. Looks at the pics. Look at the
product description. Look for "dual".

Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptops

<t1iao3$p1j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61008&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61008

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 10:45:37 -0700
 by: T - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 17:45 UTC

On 3/23/22 12:17, VanguardLH wrote:
> If the customer has you working inside a
> sweat box, do they really pay you enough to be there?

He really treats me well. And when he knows I am coming
he does something to cool the place down. I am "special" company. It
is about 78 or so when I get there. The
rest of the time he is saving money.

I have two dual hose units myself. A trick I found
is to tape up the inlet slits on the back that cheats
the efficiency ratings by sucking air in from the inside.

Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptops

<t1iasf$p1j$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61009&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61009

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 10:47:59 -0700
 by: T - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 17:47 UTC

On 3/23/22 15:03, Carlos E.R. wrote:

> I had one on my computer room. Made an awful noise, and was inefficient.
>
> Wait, dual hose? I have not seen those.

https://www.whynter.com/product/arc-14sh/

Yes they are noisy.

Tape up the cheater slips in the back.

Re: Peltier Heat Pump coolers for tablets/laptops

<t1ib49$p1j$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61010&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61010

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 10:52:09 -0700
 by: T - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 17:52 UTC

On 3/23/22 14:07, Paul wrote:
> R12       My old central air   (Mr.NoMaintenanceRequired)
> R134a     My "new" central air, Mr.Leakey
> R600a     The new refrigerator (Mr.flammable)
> R-1234yf  None on the premises (Mr.TooExpensiveToRefill)
> R-744       CO2 1,900 psi        (Mr.OhMyGodWhatJustExploded)
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refrigerant
>
>    Paul
Just saved it to disk.
:-)