From: xxx...@yyy.zzz (gtr)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: screen recorder
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 09:22:35 -0700
 by: gtr - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 16:22 UTC

Looked for a general purpose free Windows screen recorder.

https://youtu.be/nCNri04lHaI
5 Best FREE Screen Recorders - no watermarks or time limits

XBOX Game Bar: Comes pre-installed on Windows 10
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Zoom screen recorder
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362473-Enabling-and-starting-local-recordings

Flashback Recorder Express
https://www.flashbackrecorder.com/express/

Apowersoft Free Online Screen Recorder
https://www.apowersoft.com/free-online-screen-recorder

OBS (Open Broadcaster Foss Software)
http://www.Obsproject.com

Any you use & recommend?

Re: screen recorder

<t1j95v$pme$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61023&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61023

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: screen recorder
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 22:24:56 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 02:24 UTC

On 3/24/2022 12:22 PM, gtr wrote:
> Looked for a general purpose free Windows screen recorder.
>
> https://youtu.be/nCNri04lHaI
> 5 Best FREE Screen Recorders - no watermarks or time limits
>
> XBOX Game Bar: Comes pre-installed on Windows 10
> Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
> Zoom screen recorder
> https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362473-Enabling-and-starting-local-recordings
>
> Flashback Recorder Express https://www.flashbackrecorder.com/express/
>
> Apowersoft Free Online Screen Recorder
> https://www.apowersoft.com/free-online-screen-recorder
>
> OBS (Open Broadcaster Foss Software) http://www.Obsproject.com
>
> Any you use & recommend?

NVidia may have a screen recorder, but I haven't used it.

Capture involves at least three planes:

Desktop plane

VMR7/VMR9 render surfaces (capture movie playback)
If you see a green square, you need this surface to be captured.

3D plane (windowed versus full screen)

FRAPS, in Windows 7, could capture all of them. It could
do this, because it cheated, and like a malware, it injected
a DLL into every program folder. The DLL would capture draw
requests, rather than pixels getting recorded. But this could
not continue, and FRAPS would not work in later OSes (because
Defender would go nutz if you do that with the injections --
I tried to install FRAPS without disabling Kaspersky, and
the computer froze).

The NVidia recorder is for the 3D Plane only, and their
intent is game recording.

FFMPEG has GDIgrab and that's for the desktop plane.

But if you want the most general capture possible, that
might take a hardware capture card. At its peak, you could
get a capture card for around $100. A decent feature set
(more than the basics), might be $400 to $500. There's at
least one device that claims 4K capability. And the capture
cards are unlikely to deal properly with HDCP. But I don't
remember all the details, or even whether anyone sells those
cards now. The demand for them really dropped off.

Paul