From: nic...@nic.net (Nic)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Brother Hl-2300d Laser Printer
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 15:59:11 -0400
 by: Nic - Wed, 10 May 2023 19:59 UTC

On 5/10/2023 8:02 AM, Nic wrote:

> I would be happy with usb cable and consistent results.

Use "lsusb" and check that it is visible and
presents evidence it is plugged in.

The Brother specification page for your printer,
shows it has power saving states.

Observe whether any failure to function, is related
to the printer going into power save. It could be,
if it has an LCD status line, that it says
"Going to Sleep" or similar.

The user manual may not do a good job of explaining
power save. The specification page may be your only
hint, that it has such behaviors, which you cannot see.

While we expect power saving devices to function
"logically", sometimes the design does stupid things
and you have to touch a button before you can use it.
I don't think that's your problem, but just keep
an eye out for it.

If you use a KillOWatt meter, and set it to measure
immediate watts, you can see the wattage level drop
as it goes through the power states. But only do that
test, if you're otherwise stumped as to what is wrong.

Paul

Pardon the apparent hiccup, but Thunderbird is so fucking broken it
frequently crashes.

The printer is frequently seen napping "sleep" and deeper yet "deep
sleep" how to cure this behavior?

Re: Brother Hl-2300d Laser Printer

<slrnu5pljc.t5.dan@djph.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6119&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6119

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 11:49:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Thu, 11 May 2023 11:49 UTC

On 2023-05-10, Nic wrote:
> [...]
> The printer is frequently seen napping "sleep" and deeper yet "deep
> sleep" how to cure this behavior?

Brother provides (IIRC) the "BRAdmin" tool for managing printers that
don't have control panels and/or web-configuration. Not 100% sure if
there's a Linux version, as it's been years since I've used it.

That being said, "sleep" states SHOULD exit when you send jobs to the
printer.

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Brother Hl-2300d Laser Printer

<u3innd$2des$2@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6122&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6122

From: some...@invalid.invalid (jeorge)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 06:40:13 -0600
 by: jeorge - Thu, 11 May 2023 12:40 UTC

On 5/11/23 5:49 AM, Dan Purgert wrote:
> On 2023-05-10, Nic wrote:
>> [...]
>> The printer is frequently seen napping "sleep" and deeper yet "deep
>> sleep" how to cure this behavior?
>
> Brother provides (IIRC) the "BRAdmin" tool for managing printers that
> don't have control panels and/or web-configuration. Not 100% sure if
> there's a Linux version, as it's been years since I've used it.
>
> That being said, "sleep" states SHOULD exit when you send jobs to the
> printer.

Looks like both the BRAdmin Professional & Light versions are
Windows/Mac only, though it may be possible to run on Linux via Wine..

Regarding sleep states, the HL-L2325DW manual says that after a while in
"Deep Sleep" mode the print may power off. Supposedly the behavior is
configurable in the settings.

Re: Brother Hl-2300d Laser Printer

<6z57M.3390793$GNG9.1336382@fx18.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6123&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6123

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 08:53:22 -0400
 by: Nic - Thu, 11 May 2023 12:53 UTC

On 5/11/23 8:40 AM, jeorge wrote:
> On 5/11/23 5:49 AM, Dan Purgert wrote:
>> On 2023-05-10, Nic wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> The printer is frequently seen napping "sleep" and deeper yet "deep
>>> sleep" how to cure this behavior?
>>
>> Brother provides (IIRC) the "BRAdmin" tool for managing printers that
>> don't have control panels and/or web-configuration.  Not 100% sure if
>> there's a Linux version, as it's been years since I've used it.
>>
>> That being said, "sleep" states SHOULD exit when you send jobs to the
>> printer.
>>

> Looks like both the BRAdmin Professional & Light versions are
> Windows/Mac only, though it may be possible to run on Linux via Wine..
>
> Regarding sleep states, the HL-L2325DW manual says that after a while
> in "Deep Sleep" mode the print may power off. Supposedly the behavior
> is configurable in the settings.

It does shut off, I have to remember to turn the damn thing on, then to
find out the printer is off line. Using lsusb the printer- when on is
seen. I have tried to disable as much of this power saving eco thing
from the very small 1 line info screen on the printer.