A triangle which has an angle of 135 degrees is called an obscene triangle.

computers / comp.sys.mac.misc / Re: Do you use a password manager?

SubjectAuthor
* Do you use a password manager?Unbreakable Disease
+* Re: Do you use a password manager?Wade Garrett
|+- Re: Do you use a password manager?nospam
|+- Re: Do you use a password manager?Calum
|+* Re: Do you use a password manager?Andy K.
||`- Re: Do you use a password manager?Unbreakable Disease
|+* Re: Do you use a password manager?Scott Alfter
||`* Re: Do you use a password manager?Lamey
|| +- Re: Do you use a password manager?Unbreakable Disease
|| `- Re: Do you use a password manager?Alan Browne
|+- Re: Do you use a password manager?Rich
|+* Re: Do you use a password manager?Keith Thompson
||`* Re: Do you use a password manager?Lewis
|| `* Re: Do you use a password manager?Keith Thompson
||  +* Re: Do you use a password manager?nospam
||  |`* Re: Do you use a password manager?Keith Thompson
||  | `* Re: Do you use a password manager?nospam
||  |  `* Re: Do you use a password manager?Keith Thompson
||  |   `* Re: Do you use a password manager?nospam
||  |    `* Re: Do you use a password manager?Keith Thompson
||  |     `* Re: Do you use a password manager?nospam
||  |      `* Re: Do you use a password manager?Keith Thompson
||  |       +* Re: Do you use a password manager?nospam
||  |       |`* Re: Do you use a password manager?Keith Thompson
||  |       | `- Re: Do you use a password manager?Unbreakable Disease
||  |       +- Re: Do you use a password manager?Rich
||  |       +- Re: Do you use a password manager?Scott Alfter
||  |       `* Re: Do you use a password manager?Lewis
||  |        `- Re: Do you use a password manager?Keith Thompson
||  `* Re: Do you use a password manager?Lewis
||   `- Re: Do you use a password manager?Unbreakable Disease
|+* Re: Do you use a password manager?Otto J. Makela
||+* Re: Do you use a password manager?Bob Eager
|||`* Re: Do you use a password manager?Lewis
||| `* Re: Do you use a password manager?Bob Eager
|||  `* Re: Do you use a password manager?Lewis
|||   `- Re: Do you use a password manager?Bob Eager
||`- Re: Do you use a password manager?Wade Garrett
|`* Re: Do you use a password manager?Alan Browne
| `* Re: Do you use a password manager?Keith Thompson
|  +- Re: Do you use a password manager?nospam
|  +* Re: Do you use a password manager?Lewis
|  |`- Re: Do you use a password manager?Keith Thompson
|  +* Re: Do you use a password manager?Richard Kettlewell
|  |`- Re: Do you use a password manager?Lewis
|  `* Re: Do you use a password manager?Alan Browne
|   `- Re: Do you use a password manager?Keith Thompson
+* Re: Do you use a password manager?Jolly Roger
|`* Re: Do you use a password manager?Unbreakable Disease
| `- Re: Do you use a password manager?Jolly Roger
+* Re: Do you use a password manager?Oregonian Haruspex
|`* Re: Do you use a password manager?%
| `- Re: Do you use a password manager?Unbreakable Disease
+* Re: Do you use a password manager?Alan Browne
|`* Re: Do you use a password manager?Unbreakable Disease
| `* Re: Do you use a password manager?Alan Browne
|  `* Re: Do you use a password manager?Unbreakable Disease
|   `* Re: Do you use a password manager?Your Name
|    +- Re: Do you use a password manager?nospam
|    +* Re: Do you use a password manager?Bob Eager
|    |`* Re: Do you use a password manager?Your Name
|    | +- Re: Do you use a password manager?Bob Eager
|    | `- Re: Do you use a password manager?Lewis
|    +- Re: Do you use a password manager?Otto J. Makela
|    +- Re: Do you use a password manager?Scott Alfter
|    `* Re: Do you use a password manager?Lewis
|     `* Re: Do you use a password manager?nospam
|      `- Re: Do you use a password manager?Lewis
+* Re: Do you use a password manager?Dreamer In Colore
|`* Re: Do you use a password manager?Keith Thompson
| `* Re: Do you use a password manager?Ben Bacarisse
|  `- Re: Do you use a password manager?Bob Eager
+* Re: Do you use a password manager?rtr
|+* Re: Do you use a password manager?Your Name
||`* Re: Do you use a password manager?Alan Browne
|| `* Re: Do you use a password manager?nospam
||  `* Re: Do you use a password manager?Alan Browne
||   `* Re: Do you use a password manager?nospam
||    `- Re: Do you use a password manager?Alan Browne
|+* Re: Do you use a password manager?Otto J. Makela
||+- Re: Do you use a password manager?rtr
||`- Re: Do you use a password manager?The Real Bev
|`* Re: Do you use a password manager?Anssi Saari
| `- Re: Do you use a password manager?Lewis
`- Re: Do you use a password manager?Dan Purgert

Pages:1234
Re: Do you use a password manager?

<20211128210648.22e8de45@haraya.local.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=603&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#603

From: rtr...@nospam.invalid (rtr)
Newsgroups: alt.atheism,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.unix.misc,comp.misc
Subject: Re: Do you use a password manager?
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 21:06:48 +0800
 by: rtr - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 13:06 UTC

On Sun, 28 Nov 2021 14:16:49 +0200
om@iki.fi (Otto J. Makela) wrote:

> rtr <rtr@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
> > I use Pass, which is a command-line only password manager using git
> > and gpg. It's good and lightweight.
>
> I also use it, though gpg is a bit clunky it helps me trust the
> cryptosystem.

GPG is indeed a bit clunky and non-user friendly. It's really secure
but the complexity required to set it up makes it unapproachable.

It's only recently that I've gotten around maintaining a proper gpg key
setup when I was sorting out my password situation and looking at what
you can do with it it's certainly a waste that not all people are aware
or can even use this with ease.

--
Give them an inch and they will take a mile.

Re: Do you use a password manager?

<sm0zgpnrzt9.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=604&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#604

From: as...@sci.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: alt.atheism,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.unix.misc,comp.misc
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 13:01:06 +0200
sha1:7KwAr2tMpVadIStOcyJXkh7vkQo=
 by: Anssi Saari - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 11:01 UTC

rtr <rtr@nospam.invalid> writes:

> I use Pass, which is a command-line only password manager using git and
> gpg. It's good and lightweight.

I haven't used pass but now that I looked into it, it seems it could
work for me too. I currently used Keepass with sftp access to the
password database and it works, for my current platforms which are
Linux, Android and Windows. Looks like pass could also work for my use
case.

Re: Do you use a password manager?

<slrnsq9tpd.23ci.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=605&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#605

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: alt.atheism,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.unix.misc,comp.misc
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 15:52:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 15:52 UTC

In message <sm0zgpnrzt9.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi> Anssi Saari <as@sci.fi> wrote:
> my current platforms which are Linux, Android and Windows.

So why are you posting to comp.sys.mac.system and comp.sys.mac.misc and
alt.atheism?

--
Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Re: Do you use a password manager?

<so3698$rkv$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=606&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#606

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: alt.atheism,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.unix.misc,comp.misc
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 10:31:03 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 18:31 UTC

On 11/28/2021 04:16 AM, Otto J. Makela wrote:
> rtr <rtr@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I use Pass, which is a command-line only password manager using git
>> and gpg. It's good and lightweight.
>
> I also use it, though gpg is a bit clunky it helps me trust the cryptosystem.

No. I have a text file for when browsers and email forget.

I'm increasingly annoyed by the 'security' features required by various
financial businesses. I don't want texts sent to my phone EVER -- email
is just fine. I don't want to have to respond to a text message on my
phone BEFORE I can accomplish a transaction on my computer. This shit
takes time. MY time.

--
Cheers, Bev
Warning -- Driver carries less than $20 worth of ammunition

Re: Do you use a password manager?

<lUTpJ.176380$I%1.140025@fx36.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=607&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#607

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 18:51:45 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 23:51 UTC

On 2021-11-27 20:26, Your Name wrote:

> 1Password used to be a good third-party option, but recently it has been
> tending more towards silly subscription-based pricing and storing
> everything in the silly cloud. Probably best avoided in case some future
> version decides that's the only way to use it.

You can still buy the standalone version. (I have it).

And of course you store the encrypted database in a cloud location so
your many devices in many places can access the most recent data in it
(whether the subscription or "all paid" version).

I find Dropbox to be less problematic than Apple iCloud. The latter has
required that after changes made (ie) at home to appear on my work Mac
that I quit 1P and run it again. No such issues with Dropbox as the
cloud location.

--
"...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."

Re: Do you use a password manager?

<011220211900031465%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=608&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#608

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 19:00:03 -0500
 by: nospam - Thu, 2 Dec 2021 00:00 UTC

In article <lUTpJ.176380$I%1.140025@fx36.iad>, Alan Browne
<bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:

> > 1Password used to be a good third-party option, but recently it has been
> > tending more towards silly subscription-based pricing and storing
> > everything in the silly cloud. Probably best avoided in case some future
> > version decides that's the only way to use it.
>
> You can still buy the standalone version. (I have it).

nope. they've stopped selling the standalone licenses after the
announcement of version 8.

<https://1password.community/discussion/122755/looking-to-buy-a-1passwor
d-7-standalone-non-subscription-licence-ugprade>
Standalone licenses are no longer for sale I am afraid, sorry. To
upgrade your 1Password app to version 7 or 8, you will need a
Membership. Please see this post from our founder Dave with all
the details

> And of course you store the encrypted database in a cloud location so
> your many devices in many places can access the most recent data in it
> (whether the subscription or "all paid" version).

yep.

> I find Dropbox to be less problematic than Apple iCloud. The latter has
> required that after changes made (ie) at home to appear on my work Mac
> that I quit 1P and run it again. No such issues with Dropbox as the
> cloud location.

no such problem here.

dropbox has become incredibly bloated and bad that it's no longer
usable. it also hooks into the os in evil ways.

Re: Do you use a password manager?

<5IUpJ.70459$qz4.49635@fx97.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=609&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#609

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 19:46:57 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Thu, 2 Dec 2021 00:46 UTC

On 2021-12-01 19:00, nospam wrote:
> In article <lUTpJ.176380$I%1.140025@fx36.iad>, Alan Browne
> <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
>
>>> 1Password used to be a good third-party option, but recently it has been
>>> tending more towards silly subscription-based pricing and storing
>>> everything in the silly cloud. Probably best avoided in case some future
>>> version decides that's the only way to use it.
>>
>> You can still buy the standalone version. (I have it).
>
> nope. they've stopped selling the standalone licenses after the
> announcement of version 8.
>
> <https://1password.community/discussion/122755/looking-to-buy-a-1passwor
> d-7-standalone-non-subscription-licence-ugprade>
> Standalone licenses are no longer for sale I am afraid, sorry. To
> upgrade your 1Password app to version 7 or 8, you will need a
> Membership. Please see this post from our founder Dave with all
> the details

Then when 1P standalone breaks "usability" I will part company with them.

>> And of course you store the encrypted database in a cloud location so
>> your many devices in many places can access the most recent data in it
>> (whether the subscription or "all paid" version).
>
> yep.
>
>> I find Dropbox to be less problematic than Apple iCloud. The latter has
>> required that after changes made (ie) at home to appear on my work Mac
>> that I quit 1P and run it again. No such issues with Dropbox as the
>> cloud location.
>
> no such problem here.
>
> dropbox has become incredibly bloated and bad that it's no longer
> usable. it also hooks into the os in evil ways.

It's very usable. I have tons of files on it for various uses and
access files from many devices on a daily basis for both personal and
work. There is no "bloat" affecting that.

I also use iCloud for some things. There is often a "wait" while it
downloads files. Seems to wait until one wants a file rather than being
in sycn asap as Dropbox does.

Regardless, over the years I've had various issues using iCloud for 1P
sync. It will be fine for a few months and then go bonkers. Could be
because my home and work Macs are at different OS versions coupled to
1Password also being at different versions (home v. work Macs).

I don't care about that while Dropbox has been more reliable in this
regard - consistently.

--
"...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."
-Samuel Clemens

Re: Do you use a password manager?

<011220212042561808%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=610&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#610

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 20:42:56 -0500
 by: nospam - Thu, 2 Dec 2021 01:42 UTC

In article <5IUpJ.70459$qz4.49635@fx97.iad>, Alan Browne
<bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:

> > dropbox has become incredibly bloated and bad that it's no longer
> > usable. it also hooks into the os in evil ways.
>
> It's very usable. I have tons of files on it for various uses and
> access files from many devices on a daily basis for both personal and
> work. There is no "bloat" affecting that.

the dropbox client is electron app (bloat) which contains a chrome
browser (more bloat). it's also a major resource hog. it's garbage.

<https://www.macrumors.com/guide/five-alternative-dropbox-clients/>
The Dropbox app has a troubled reputation among Mac users. The
client is often called out for using significant system resources,
even when it's not doing anything in the background. And when it
does lurch into action, syncing with Dropbox's servers can sometimes
be painfully slow, for no obvious reason.

Added to this is the fact that almost a year after the first Macs
with the M1 chip became available, Dropbox still doesn't natively
support Apple silicon, and won't until sometime in 2022. That means
M1 Mac owners must use Dropbox with Rosetta, and reports suggest the
client hemorrhages MacBook battery life and uses a disproportionate
amount of memory on Apple silicon Macs.

the above link lists alternative dropbox clients.

> I also use iCloud for some things. There is often a "wait" while it
> downloads files. Seems to wait until one wants a file rather than being
> in sycn asap as Dropbox does.
>
> Regardless, over the years I've had various issues using iCloud for 1P
> sync. It will be fine for a few months and then go bonkers. Could be
> because my home and work Macs are at different OS versions coupled to
> 1Password also being at different versions (home v. work Macs).

i've never seen any such issue across a wide array of macs, iphones and
ipads.

> I don't care about that while Dropbox has been more reliable in this
> regard - consistently.

opposite for me.

Re: Do you use a password manager?

<jP3qJ.42143$1d1.26390@fx99.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=611&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#611

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 08:25:35 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Thu, 2 Dec 2021 13:25 UTC

On 2021-12-01 20:42, nospam wrote:
> In article <5IUpJ.70459$qz4.49635@fx97.iad>, Alan Browne
> <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
>
>>> dropbox has become incredibly bloated and bad that it's no longer
>>> usable. it also hooks into the os in evil ways.
>>
>> It's very usable. I have tons of files on it for various uses and
>> access files from many devices on a daily basis for both personal and
>> work. There is no "bloat" affecting that.
>
> the dropbox client is electron app (bloat) which contains a chrome
> browser (more bloat). it's also a major resource hog. it's garbage.
>
> <https://www.macrumors.com/guide/five-alternative-dropbox-clients/>
> The Dropbox app has a troubled reputation among Mac users. The
> client is often called out for using significant system resources,
> even when it's not doing anything in the background. And when it
> does lurch into action, syncing with Dropbox's servers can sometimes
> be painfully slow, for no obvious reason.
>
> Added to this is the fact that almost a year after the first Macs
> with the M1 chip became available, Dropbox still doesn't natively
> support Apple silicon, and won't until sometime in 2022. That means
> M1 Mac owners must use Dropbox with Rosetta, and reports suggest the
> client hemorrhages MacBook battery life and uses a disproportionate
> amount of memory on Apple silicon Macs.
>
> the above link lists alternative dropbox clients.

I don't care. It is more useful for me for many things than iCloud.
And for 1P sync there is only iCloud or Dropbox.

>> I also use iCloud for some things. There is often a "wait" while it
>> downloads files. Seems to wait until one wants a file rather than being
>> in sycn asap as Dropbox does.
>>
>> Regardless, over the years I've had various issues using iCloud for 1P
>> sync. It will be fine for a few months and then go bonkers. Could be
>> because my home and work Macs are at different OS versions coupled to
>> 1Password also being at different versions (home v. work Macs).
>
> i've never seen any such issue across a wide array of macs, iphones and
> ipads.

Of course.

>> I don't care about that while Dropbox has been more reliable in this
>> regard - consistently.
>
> opposite for me.

Of course.

--
"...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."
-Samuel Clemens

Re: Do you use a password manager?

<slrnsvtigk.5ru.dan@djph.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1027&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#1027

Followup: comp.misc
From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.atheism,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.unix.misc,comp.misc
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 19:03:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 19:03 UTC

--
|_|O|_| Github: https://github.com/dpurgert
|_|_|O| PGP: DDAB 23FB 19FA 7D85 1CC1 E067 6D65 70E5 4CE7 2860