Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. -- Frank Zappa

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: How to make Firefox/Thunderbird shutup about updates.

SubjectAuthor
* delete epicUpdate.exe in usesoyon
+- Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in useNugunugu
+* Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in useSjouke Burry
|`* Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in useStan Brown
| `* Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in usePaul
|  +* Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in useThomas
|  |`* Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in usePaul
|  | `- Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in usesoyon
|  `- Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in useStan Brown
+* Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in usePaul
|`* Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in usegtr
| `- Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in usePaul
`* Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in useStan Brown
 +- Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in usePaul
 +* Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in useMikeS
 |+* Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in useStan Brown
 ||+* Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in usegtr
 |||`- Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in usePaul
 ||`- Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in useR.Wieser
 |`* Inhibiting Mozilla updates via Susytem Registry (Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in usStan Brown
 | +* Re: Inhibiting Mozilla updates via Susytem Registry (Re: delete epicUpdate.exe iNil
 | |`* Re: Inhibiting Mozilla updates via Susytem Registry (Re: deleteMikeS
 | | `- Re: Inhibiting Mozilla updates via Susytem Registry (Re: delete epicUpdate.exe iNil
 | `- Re: Inhibiting Mozilla updates via Susytem Registry (Re: delete epicUpdate.exe iYour Name
 `* How to make Firefox/Thunderbird shutup about updates. (was: delete epicUpdate.exFrank Slootweg
  `* Re: How to make Firefox/Thunderbird shutup about updates.Pat Bell
   `* Re: How to make Firefox/Thunderbird shutup about updates.Rink
    +- Re: How to make Firefox/Thunderbird shutup about updates.Mayayana
    `* Re: How to make Firefox/Thunderbird shutup about updates.The Horny Goat
     `- Re: How to make Firefox/Thunderbird shutup about updates.Paul

Pages:12
Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in use

<st1es6$16oq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58379&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58379

From: soy...@soyon.biz (soyon)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in use
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 19:06:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: soyon - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 19:06 UTC

On Fri, 28 Jan 2022 01:25:20 -0500, Paul wrote:

> I'm not a big fan of busting locks. I just flip over to
> Linux and avoid permission issues there.

I killed it days ago using the Windows resource monitor which comes with
Windows and so far the EpicUpdate.exe has not returned after some reboots.

Resmon seems to be a simple solution because resmon doesn't require any
additional tools although I did search all over for the unlocker without
success.

The next question will be how to run a manual update of Epic without
bringing the EpicUpdate.exe back but even if that happens, the solution of
using resmon to terminate the process and then manually delete it worked.

Re: How to make Firefox/Thunderbird shutup about updates.

<svbdig$sqi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59890&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59890

From: rink.hof...@planet.nl (Rink)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: How to make Firefox/Thunderbird shutup about updates.
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 21:18:19 +0100
 by: Rink - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 20:18 UTC

Op 23-1-2022 om 22:46 schreef Pat Bell:
> On 23/01/2022 21:10, Frank Slootweg wrote:
>

>> Alternative Solution
>>
>> There is an alternative solution suggested by our reader EP. You can
>> create a policies.json file and store that file into the C:\Program
>> Files\Mozilla Firefox\distribution folder. Create a distribution folder
>> in \Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\ folder and place that policies.json
>> file into that folder with the following contents:
>>

> Resident troll and serial spammer posted something similar here long
> time ago until he was kicked out of google Groups:
> {
> https://groups.google.com/g/mozilla.support.firefox/c/dbhIGd4cg8s/m/swfoma_vAwAJ
> }
>
> He was going on and on so the moderator kicked him out and stopped him.

That's not a Google Group.
That's mozilla.support.firefox , a moderated newsgroup
on the mozilla newsserver.
The mozilla server does not peer with other newsservers.
That means: if you post on an other newsserver in a mozilla.support
group, your message does not appear on the mozilla newsserver.

There were also mozilla.support newsgroups for seamonkey
(not moderated) and thunderbird (moderated).
Mozilla stopped the moderation of their newsgroups in April 2021.
Since then the firefox and thunderbird support groups
on the mozilla server are empty.

Everybody moved to the new newsgroups
alt.comp.software.firefox
alt.comp.software.seamonkey
alt.comp.software.thunderbird

Rink

Re: How to make Firefox/Thunderbird shutup about updates.

<svd9j1$ute$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59914&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#59914

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 08:22:21 -0500
 by: Mayayana - Sat, 26 Feb 2022 13:22 UTC

"Rink" <rink.hof.haalditmaarweg@planet.nl> wrote

| >> Alternative Solution
| >>
| >> There is an alternative solution suggested by our reader EP. You can
| >> create a policies.json file and store that file into the C:\Program
| >> Files\Mozilla Firefox\distribution folder. Create a distribution folder
| >> in \Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\ folder and place that policies.json
| >> file into that folder with the following contents:

That's the only thing that works post- v. 60. Prefs can be set
but have no effect. It's a design to mirror IE, allowing corporate
IT people (and malware) to override user settings. Here's my
json file content:

{"policies": {
"DisableAppUpdate": true,
"DisableFirefoxStudies": true,
"DisableSystemAddonUpdate": true,
"DisableTelemetry": true
}
}

Here's the list of possible settings for the json file:

https://github.com/mozilla/policy-templates/blob/master/README.md

| > Resident troll and serial spammer posted something similar here long
| > time ago until he was kicked out of google Groups:
| > {

https://groups.google.com/g/mozilla.support.firefox/c/dbhIGd4cg8s/m/swfoma_vAwAJ
| > }
| >
| > He was going on and on so the moderator kicked him out and stopped him.

| |
| That's not a Google Group.
| That's mozilla.support.firefox , a moderated newsgroup
| on the mozilla newsserver.
| The mozilla server does not peer with other newsservers.
| That means: if you post on an other newsserver in a mozilla.support
| group, your message does not appear on the mozilla newsserver.
| | There were also mozilla.support newsgroups for seamonkey
| (not moderated) and thunderbird (moderated).
| Mozilla stopped the moderation of their newsgroups in April 2021.
| Since then the firefox and thunderbird support groups
| on the mozilla server are empty.
| | Everybody moved to the new newsgroups
| alt.comp.software.firefox
| alt.comp.software.seamonkey
| alt.comp.software.thunderbird
| | Rink

Re: How to make Firefox/Thunderbird shutup about updates.

<fkm34hdvb9opc876bbonlh7pjj01472pvt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61132&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61132

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 09:03:15 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 16:03 UTC

On Fri, 25 Feb 2022 21:18:19 +0100, Rink
<rink.hof.haalditmaarweg@planet.nl> wrote:

>Op 23-1-2022 om 22:46 schreef Pat Bell:
>> On 23/01/2022 21:10, Frank Slootweg wrote:
>>

>>> Alternative Solution
>>>
>>> There is an alternative solution suggested by our reader EP. You can
>>> create a policies.json file and store that file into the C:\Program
>>> Files\Mozilla Firefox\distribution folder. Create a distribution folder
>>> in \Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\ folder and place that policies.json
>>> file into that folder with the following contents:
>>>

>> Resident troll and serial spammer posted something similar here long
>> time ago until he was kicked out of google Groups:
>> {
>> https://groups.google.com/g/mozilla.support.firefox/c/dbhIGd4cg8s/m/swfoma_vAwAJ
>> }
>>
>> He was going on and on so the moderator kicked him out and stopped him.

On a more serious note I have a problem presently as I foolishly let
Norton do my Thunderbird update.

I have my 1 Tb SSD as C: reserved for the operating system and install
most of my software on D:

Norton went ahead and did the update on C: without asking me with the
end result that when I now open Thunderbird I'm showing no address
book or saved e-mails - which is a very big deal since I have archives
from 10+ years of my work with non-profits unavailable plus a fairly
bit address book (including several mailing lists for the governors of
a national non-profit there - which is a fairly big deal as we have a
governors meeting in about a month where I'll be expected to send mass
e-mails to the national board)

I'm tempted to have my favorite tech guy clean it all up - as I'm
certain there's nothing overwritten but am wondering what else I can
do. Problem is Thunderbird is less than transparent on their file
locations...so I've been browsing both C: and D: (which is a fairly
large 8tb partition) for subdirectories with the right name.

Clearly my confidence in Norton is very badly shaken but give
Kaspersky's connections to the Russian government I'm not touching
them with a barge pole.

Any short term or long term suggestions are welcome.

Re: How to make Firefox/Thunderbird shutup about updates.

<t1sr2d$11jl$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61133&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61133

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 13:25:33 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 17:25 UTC

On 3/28/2022 12:03 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2022 21:18:19 +0100, Rink
> <rink.hof.haalditmaarweg@planet.nl> wrote:

>>> Resident troll and serial spammer posted something similar here long
>>> time ago until he was kicked out of google Groups:
>>> {
>>> https://groups.google.com/g/mozilla.support.firefox/c/dbhIGd4cg8s/m/swfoma_vAwAJ
>>> }
>>>
>>> He was going on and on so the moderator kicked him out and stopped him.
>
> On a more serious note I have a problem presently as I foolishly let
> Norton do my Thunderbird update.
>
> I have my 1 Tb SSD as C: reserved for the operating system and install
> most of my software on D:
>
> Norton went ahead and did the update on C: without asking me with the
> end result that when I now open Thunderbird I'm showing no address
> book or saved e-mails - which is a very big deal since I have archives
> from 10+ years of my work with non-profits unavailable plus a fairly
> bit address book (including several mailing lists for the governors of
> a national non-profit there - which is a fairly big deal as we have a
> governors meeting in about a month where I'll be expected to send mass
> e-mails to the national board)
>
> I'm tempted to have my favorite tech guy clean it all up - as I'm
> certain there's nothing overwritten but am wondering what else I can
> do. Problem is Thunderbird is less than transparent on their file
> locations...so I've been browsing both C: and D: (which is a fairly
> large 8tb partition) for subdirectories with the right name.
>
> Clearly my confidence in Norton is very badly shaken but give
> Kaspersky's connections to the Russian government I'm not touching
> them with a barge pole.
>
> Any short term or long term suggestions are welcome.

But you're an experienced computer user.

You know where Control Panels : Programs and Features are located.

Use Start : Run : control

if you haven't been there for a while. How many copies of
Thunderbird are installed ? Just the one I hope, the broken one.
Programs and Features should show the one entry.

*******

The parentage of the product is uncertain. Mozilla tried to get
Thunderbird to go off to thunderbird.net and be shed of Mozilla.
Today, some Thunderbird staff are still at Mozilla, as being shed of
them, didn't work out.

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird

Using Agent Ransack, look for "profiles.ini". Double check
the path before opening with Notepad.

C:\Users\UserName\AppData
Local <=== has some stuff
Roaming <=== has some stuff <=== in a Domain, storage is the departmental file server.
That's why we expect your Inbox, Sent, and Draft here

In Explorer, there is a Folder Options and the View tab includes

Show hidden files, folders, and drives <=== tick, so you can see AppData

Hide extensions of known file types <=== untick

Hide protected operating system files <=== untick if you want to see
desktop.ini files (not for this exercise)

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird
profiles.ini <=== open with Notepad, may contain evidence of more than one profile

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\fknwxki0.default\Mail\Local Folders
X-------+------X

A Profile folder

Then, if we look for "cache2", we can find a second folder of interest, as shown
in the second path listed here. One in Roaming, One in Local. And AppData is a hidden
folder, until you set the Folder Options to make it visible.

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\fknwxki0.default # Inbox, a big folder

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\ Thunderbird\Profiles\fknwxki0.default # Cache2, lotta small irrelevant files

C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird # Where the program lives

Your job is to look in here, for a profile folder
that is not currently wired up and also has
a large (gigabyte) size.

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles <=== your "lost" goods could be under here

Installers *do not* erase these. Things can happen, but generally,
do not involve erasure. Don't loose hope, quite yet.

Paul