Error in operator: add beer

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: LMDE5 recognized my printer

SubjectAuthor
* LMDE5 recognized my printerNic
+- Re: LMDE5 recognized my printerMike Easter
+- Re: LMDE5 recognized my printerPaul
+* Re: LMDE5 recognized my printerazigni
|`* Re: LMDE5 recognized my printerNic
| `- Re: LMDE5 recognized my printerclinker
+* Re: LMDE5 recognized my printerEdmund
|+- Re: LMDE5 recognized my printerNic
|`* Re: LMDE5 recognized my printerNic
| +* Re: LMDE5 recognized my printerJohnny
| |`* Re: LMDE5 recognized my printerNic
| | +* Re: LMDE5 recognized my printerJohnny
| | |`- Re: LMDE5 recognized my printerNic
| | `* Re: LMDE5 recognized my printerEdmund
| |  `- Re: LMDE5 recognized my printerNic
| +* Re: LMDE5 recognized my printerMike Easter
| |`* Re: LMDE5 recognized my printerNic
| | `* Re: LMDE5 recognized my printerMike Easter
| |  `- Re: LMDE5 recognized my printerMike Easter
| +- Re: LMDE5 recognized my printerEdmund
| `* Re: LMDE5 recognized my printerDan Purgert
|  `* Re: LMDE5 recognized my printerNic
|   `* Re: LMDE5 recognized my printerDan Purgert
|    `* Re: LMDE5 recognized my printerNic
|     `- Re: LMDE5 recognized my printerDan Purgert
`- Re: LMDE5 recognized my printerJohnny

Pages:12
LMDE5 recognized my printer

<Goz6M.207478$LAYb.87094@fx02.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6083&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6083

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Subject: LMDE5 recognized my printer
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 18:01:10 -0400
 by: Nic - Tue, 9 May 2023 22:01 UTC

and printed with no problem. On a hunch I loaded a live distro of LMDE5
and the problem printer from undecided Ubuntu hell printed nicely. It is
time for me to switch.

--
Pity the fool who followed his GPS over the cliff

Re: LMDE5 recognized my printer

<kc03unFnf00U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6085&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6085

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: LMDE5 recognized my printer
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 16:40:06 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Tue, 9 May 2023 23:40 UTC

Nic wrote:
> and printed with no problem. On a hunch I loaded a live distro of LMDE5
> and the problem printer from undecided Ubuntu hell printed nicely. It is
> time for me to switch.

I've found that there are all kinds of troubleshooting issues which are
aided by examining the problem on a completely different system. One
advantage of booting live linux distro/s is that I can check out the
problem not only w/ a different OS, but also on different hardware.

LMDE5 is based on Debian Bullseye 11 stable. LMDE has advantages over
LM & LM has some 'Ub' advantages over LMDE. Personally I like both of
them for slightly different reasons.

--
Mike Easter

Re: LMDE5 recognized my printer

<u3eo7t$dnjh$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6086&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6086

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 20:24:27 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 10 May 2023 00:24 UTC

On 5/9/2023 6:01 PM, Nic wrote:
> and printed with no problem. On a hunch I loaded a live distro of LMDE5 and the problem printer from undecided Ubuntu hell printed nicely. It is time for me to switch.

Even if a print works, keep an eye on you logs anyway.
There might still be messages of interest in there.

Paul

Re: LMDE5 recognized my printer

<eOD6M.2726929$iU59.1089646@fx14.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6087&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6087

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: azi...@yahoo.com (azigni)
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 21:01:30 -0600
 by: azigni - Wed, 10 May 2023 03:01 UTC

On 5/9/23 4:01 PM, Nic wrote:
> and printed with no problem. On a hunch I loaded a live distro of LMDE5
> and the problem printer from undecided Ubuntu hell printed nicely. It is
> time for me to switch.

I have a Brother_HL-L2370DW printer.

I had the exact opposite experience. In late December my old desktop
died. The choices were either state of the art or old and slow for a
replacement as it was Christmas time and everything middle road was sold
out. I bought state of the art.

My goto Debian Bulls Eye could not find the printer, nor would MX Linux
or Mint LMDE5. Thankfully Xubuntu would find and use my printer.

Three months later after the newest releases caught up, I am back to
using my favorite distro.

Re: LMDE5 recognized my printer

<6nL6M.218489$T%ac.77381@fx01.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6091&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6091

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 07:38:42 -0400
 by: Nic - Wed, 10 May 2023 11:38 UTC

On 5/9/23 11:01 PM, azigni wrote:
> On 5/9/23 4:01 PM, Nic wrote:
>> and printed with no problem. On a hunch I loaded a live distro of
>> LMDE5 and the problem printer from undecided Ubuntu hell printed
>> nicely. It is time for me to switch.
>>
> I have a Brother_HL-L2370DW printer.
>
> I had the exact opposite experience. In late December my old desktop
> died. The choices were either state of the art or old and slow for a
> replacement as it was Christmas time and everything middle road was
> sold out. I bought state of the art.
>
> My goto Debian Bulls Eye could not find the printer, nor would MX
> Linux or Mint LMDE5. Thankfully Xubuntu would find and use my printer.
>
> Three months later after the newest releases caught up, I am back to
> using my favorite distro.
What is your favorite distro? Is it Debian Bullseye? Is LMDE5 built on
Bullseye?

Re: LMDE5 recognized my printer

<u3g1vd$m4ok$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6095&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6095

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 14:16:45 +0200
 by: Edmund - Wed, 10 May 2023 12:16 UTC

On 5/10/23 00:01, Nic wrote:
> and printed with no problem. On a hunch I loaded a live distro of LMDE5 and the problem printer from undecided Ubuntu hell printed nicely. It is time for me to switch.

I am curious what I live distro from your current version does.
I guess it will work just as good.

Edmund
--
The moment any organization established from pure noble intentions get some influence, it will be corrupted from both inside and outside.
Then we have organizations established from pure evil.

Edmund

Re: LMDE5 recognized my printer

<20230510075521.79a2b470@mx>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6097&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6097

From: joh...@invalid.net (Johnny)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 07:55:21 -0500
 by: Johnny - Wed, 10 May 2023 12:55 UTC

On Tue, 9 May 2023 18:01:10 -0400
Nic <Nic@none.net> wrote:

> and printed with no problem. On a hunch I loaded a live distro of
> LMDE5 and the problem printer from undecided Ubuntu hell printed
> nicely. It is time for me to switch.

I don't use Linux Mint anymore, but I was curious, and booted it from a
USB stick, and it found my printer immediately. I printed a test page.

I use MX Linux now, and had to download the installation tool and
drivers from Brother.

Re: LMDE5 recognized my printer

<3KP6M.665454$PXw7.578564@fx45.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6100&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6100

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 12:36:15 -0400
 by: Nic - Wed, 10 May 2023 16:36 UTC

On 5/10/23 8:16 AM, Edmund wrote:
> On 5/10/23 00:01, Nic wrote:
>> and printed with no problem. On a hunch I loaded a live distro of
>> LMDE5 and the problem printer from undecided Ubuntu hell printed
>> nicely. It is time for me to switch.
>>

> I am curious what I live distro from your current version does.
> I guess it will work just as good.
>
> Edmund
I will let you know.

Re: LMDE5 recognized my printer

<66Q6M.385739$0dpc.151862@fx33.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6101&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6101

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: azi...@yahoo.com (clinker)
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 11:01:54 -0600
 by: clinker - Wed, 10 May 2023 17:01 UTC

On 5/10/23 5:38 AM, Nic wrote:
> What is your favorite distro? Is it Debian Bullseye? Is LMDE5 built on
> Bullseye?

I am very partial to any Debian base with XFCE, mainly for reduced
mousing. I can skip going to the corner and clicking on the menu to open
something. I used Debian for many years. I got tired of downloading and
installing every time I wanted to do something not included in the
original iso from an upgrade, not that Debian flies through the upgrade
cycle.

I really enjoy LMDE. It has and does almost everything an average use
could want to do. It is stable and well thought out.

My most recent go to is MX, mainly because it is easier for me to delete
packages than download extra packages. Also the download bandwidth is
(objectively) a little lighter over time, though that may be changing. I
think that is mainly because MX does not have to match any other
offering as LMDE does - needing to match Mint itself.

Re: LMDE5 recognized my printer

<20230510153727.73715ec5@nic-System-Product-Name>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6104&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6104

From: nic...@nic.net (Nic)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 15:37:27 -0400
 by: Nic - Wed, 10 May 2023 19:37 UTC

On Wed, 10 May 2023 14:16:45 +0200
Edmund <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On 5/10/23 00:01, Nic wrote:
>> and printed with no problem. On a hunch I loaded a live distro of
>> LMDE5 and the problem printer from undecided Ubuntu hell printed
>> nicely. It is time for me to switch.
>
>I am curious what I live distro from your current version does.
>I guess it will work just as good.
>
>Edmund

I booted a live LM 20.3 and this version could not detect my HL-L2325DW
printer. I would like to know how to add this printer to the list of
printers (and where it is located. It seems that the dividing line for
a functional Brother printer is around $400+ American Dollars, anything
below that might be considered a bottomless pit of expenses for
toner... Look at some of the cheaper HP laser printers, they require
you to have an internet connection to function, much like the M$ /
Adobe business model. Notice:I had to switch to ClawsMail because
Thunderbird id so fucking broken. (It keeps a record of Sent Mail but
never gets delivered and this is especially for usenet.

Re: LMDE5 recognized my printer

<20230510144440.61750ab5@mx>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6105&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6105

From: joh...@invalid.net (Johnny)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 14:44:40 -0500
 by: Johnny - Wed, 10 May 2023 19:44 UTC

On Wed, 10 May 2023 15:37:27 -0400
Nic <nic@nic.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 May 2023 14:16:45 +0200
> Edmund <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On 5/10/23 00:01, Nic wrote:
> >> and printed with no problem. On a hunch I loaded a live distro of
> >> LMDE5 and the problem printer from undecided Ubuntu hell printed
> >> nicely. It is time for me to switch.
> >
> >I am curious what I live distro from your current version does.
> >I guess it will work just as good.
> >
> >Edmund
>
> I booted a live LM 20.3 and this version could not detect my
> HL-L2325DW printer. I would like to know how to add this printer to
> the list of printers (and where it is located. It seems that the
> dividing line for a functional Brother printer is around $400+
> American Dollars, anything below that might be considered a
> bottomless pit of expenses for toner... Look at some of the cheaper
> HP laser printers, they require you to have an internet connection to
> function, much like the M$ / Adobe business model. Notice:I had to
> switch to ClawsMail because Thunderbird id so fucking broken. (It
> keeps a record of Sent Mail but never gets delivered and this is
> especially for usenet.

Boot a live version of 21.1 and try again.

Re: LMDE5 recognized my printer

<ScT6M.665462$PXw7.86663@fx45.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6108&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6108

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 16:33:54 -0400
 by: Nic - Wed, 10 May 2023 20:33 UTC

On 5/10/23 3:44 PM, Johnny wrote:
> On Wed, 10 May 2023 15:37:27 -0400
> Nic <nic@nic.net> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 10 May 2023 14:16:45 +0200
>> Edmund <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> I am curious what I live distro from your current version does.
>>> I guess it will work just as good.
>>>
>>> Edmund
>> I booted a live LM 20.3 and this version could not detect my
>> HL-L2325DW printer. I would like to know how to add this printer to
>> the list of printers (and where it is located. It seems that the
>> dividing line for a functional Brother printer is around $400+
>> American Dollars, anything below that might be considered a
>> bottomless pit of expenses for toner... Look at some of the cheaper
>> HP laser printers, they require you to have an internet connection to
>> function, much like the M$ / Adobe business model. Notice:I had to
>> switch to ClawsMail because Thunderbird id so fucking broken. (It
>> keeps a record of Sent Mail but never gets delivered and this is
>> especially for usenet.
>>
> Boot a live version of 21.1 and try again.

No. I have had enough of this foolishness.

Re: LMDE5 recognized my printer

<20230510154441.439190fc@mx>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6109&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6109

From: joh...@invalid.net (Johnny)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 15:44:41 -0500
 by: Johnny - Wed, 10 May 2023 20:44 UTC

On Wed, 10 May 2023 16:33:54 -0400
Nic <Nic@none.net> wrote:

> On 5/10/23 3:44 PM, Johnny wrote:
> > On Wed, 10 May 2023 15:37:27 -0400
> > Nic <nic@nic.net> wrote:

> >> I booted a live LM 20.3 and this version could not detect my
> >> HL-L2325DW printer. I would like to know how to add this printer to
> >> the list of printers (and where it is located. It seems that the
> >> dividing line for a functional Brother printer is around $400+
> >> American Dollars, anything below that might be considered a
> >> bottomless pit of expenses for toner... Look at some of the cheaper
> >> HP laser printers, they require you to have an internet connection
> >> to function, much like the M$ / Adobe business model. Notice:I
> >> had to switch to ClawsMail because Thunderbird id so fucking
> >> broken. (It keeps a record of Sent Mail but never gets delivered
> >> and this is especially for usenet.
> >>
> > Boot a live version of 21.1 and try again.
> >
> No. I have had enough of this foolishness.

Why do you insist on using an old version of Linux Mint that you know
won't work?

Re: LMDE5 recognized my printer

<kc2eb0F3s3hU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6110&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6110

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 13:49:36 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Wed, 10 May 2023 20:49 UTC

Nic wrote:
> It keeps a record of Sent Mail but
> never gets delivered and this is especially for usenet.

There's a guy in another group, Mac + Tb who also has been having that
problem.

I've never seen it so I don't know how that is happening.

You are newshosting, he is blocknews.

Tb has a status line/bar that you can watch for reports on what is
happening during the transaction.

--
Mike Easter

Re: LMDE5 recognized my printer

<20230510165421.c0c7ba149340f71781aa8e50@none.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6111&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6111

From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 16:54:21 -0400
 by: Nic - Wed, 10 May 2023 20:54 UTC

On Wed, 10 May 2023 15:44:41 -0500
Johnny <johnny@invalid.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 10 May 2023 16:33:54 -0400
>Nic <Nic@none.net> wrote:
>
>> On 5/10/23 3:44 PM, Johnny wrote:

>> > Boot a live version of 21.1 and try again.
>> >
>> No. I have had enough of this foolishness.
>
>Why do you insist on using an old version of Linux Mint that you know
>won't work?

I will do this for you. LM21.3. I will get back to you.

--
Nic <Nic@none.net>

Re: LMDE5 recognized my printer

<20230510174425.53651a15a6d3558b0e246ed4@none.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6113&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6113

From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 17:44:25 -0400
 by: Nic - Wed, 10 May 2023 21:44 UTC

On Wed, 10 May 2023 13:49:36 -0700
Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:

> Nic wrote:
> > It keeps a record of Sent Mail but
> > never gets delivered and this is especially for usenet.
>
> There's a guy in another group, Mac + Tb who also has been having that
> problem.
>
> I've never seen it so I don't know how that is happening.
>
> You are newshosting, he is blocknews.
>
> Tb has a status line/bar that you can watch for reports on what is
> happening during the transaction.
>

> --
> Mike Easter
The status bar moves quickly, too fast for my eyes

--
Nic <Nic@none.net>

Re: LMDE5 recognized my printer

<kc2jjqF4lrbU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6114&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6114

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 15:19:37 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Wed, 10 May 2023 22:19 UTC

Nic wrote:
> The status bar moves quickly, too fast for my eyes

Tb is also capable of keeping logs of that transaction process.

The instructions for setting up the logging for nntp are the 'same as'
those for logging the mail transactions, but it is very common for
instructions to only talk about mail.

I like the 'ancient' support at m'zine kb after tweaking for age.

This page was last modified in 2018

https://kb.mozillazine.org/Session_logging_for_mail/news Session
logging for mail/news

links to
https://wiki.mozilla.org/MailNews:Logging

The last time I did it, it didn't involve modifying the config editor,
so that has changed.

There isn't any such entry as mailnews.nntp.loglevel so that has to be
created. I seem to recall I was able to start Tb with a command that
included the nntp logging 'instruction' when I last did it.

--
Mike Easter

Re: LMDE5 recognized my printer

<kc2k51F4p3pU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6115&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6115

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 15:28:48 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Wed, 10 May 2023 22:28 UTC

Mike Easter wrote:
> Nic wrote:
>> The status bar moves quickly, too fast for my eyes
>
> Tb is also capable of keeping logs of that transaction process.
>
> The instructions for setting up the logging for nntp are the 'same
> as' those for logging the mail transactions, but it is very common
> for instructions to only talk about mail.
>
> There isn't any such entry as mailnews.nntp.loglevel so that has to
> be created. I seem to recall I was able to start Tb with a command
> that included the nntp logging 'instruction' when I last did it.

Here is a page that says that it was last edited in 2020 and it gives
the command instructions for mail but not news, but you would substitute
NNTP where the mail protocols are.

https://www.lifewire.com/pop-imap-smtp-traffic-thunderbird-1173156 Log
POP, IMAP, and SMTP Traffic in Mozilla Thunderbird

That method only logs the session you start Tb that way:

--
Mike Easter

Re: LMDE5 recognized my printer

<u3ifkm$12g28$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6116&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6116

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 12:22:14 +0200
 by: Edmund - Thu, 11 May 2023 10:22 UTC

On 5/10/23 21:37, Nic wrote:
> On Wed, 10 May 2023 14:16:45 +0200
> Edmund <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 5/10/23 00:01, Nic wrote:
>>> and printed with no problem. On a hunch I loaded a live distro of
>>> LMDE5 and the problem printer from undecided Ubuntu hell printed
>>> nicely. It is time for me to switch.
>>
>> I am curious what I live distro from your current version does.
>> I guess it will work just as good.
>>
>> Edmund
>
> I booted a live LM 20.3 and this version could not detect my HL-L2325DW
> printer.

That is very interesting, did you try another USB port, your computer might
have different versions.

--
The moment any organization established from pure noble intentions get some influence, it will be corrupted from both inside and outside.
Then we have organizations established from pure evil.

Edmund

Re: LMDE5 recognized my printer

<u3iftm$12g28$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6117&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6117

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 12:27:02 +0200
 by: Edmund - Thu, 11 May 2023 10:27 UTC

On 5/10/23 22:33, Nic wrote:
> On 5/10/23 3:44 PM, Johnny wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 May 2023 15:37:27 -0400
>> Nic <nic@nic.net> wrote:

>>> I booted a live LM 20.3 and this version could not detect my
>>> HL-L2325DW printer. I would like to know how to add this printer to
>>> the list of printers (and where  it is located. It seems that the
>>> dividing line for a functional Brother printer is around $400+
>>> American Dollars, anything below that might be considered a
>>> bottomless pit of expenses for toner... Look at some of the cheaper
>>> HP laser printers, they require you to have an internet connection to
>>> function, much like the M$ / Adobe business model.  Notice:I had to
>>> switch to ClawsMail because Thunderbird id so fucking broken. (It
>>> keeps a record of Sent Mail but never gets delivered  and this is
>>> especially for usenet.
>>>
>> Boot a live version of 21.1 and try again.
>>
> No. I have had enough of this foolishness.

Yes this is frustrating OTOH we like to know the problem.
Could be one of the Linux USB bugs.

--
The moment any organization established from pure noble intentions get some influence, it will be corrupted from both inside and outside.
Then we have organizations established from pure evil.

Edmund

Re: LMDE5 recognized my printer

<20230511063907.5a85dd5e98a058aa04e3441c@none.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6118&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6118

From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 06:39:07 -0400
 by: Nic - Thu, 11 May 2023 10:39 UTC

On Thu, 11 May 2023 12:27:02 +0200
Edmund <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On 5/10/23 22:33, Nic wrote:
>> On 5/10/23 3:44 PM, Johnny wrote:

>>> Boot a live version of 21.1 and try again.
>>>
>> No. I have had enough of this foolishness.
>
>Yes this is frustrating OTOH we like to know the problem.
>Could be one of the Linux USB bugs.
>

>--
>The moment any organization established from pure noble intentions get some influence, it will be corrupted from both inside and outside.
>Then we have organizations established from pure evil.
>
>Edmund

This is from the latest crash-

AdapterDeviceID: 0x9616
AdapterDriverVendor: mesa/r600
AdapterDriverVersion: 21.2.6.0
AdapterVendorID: 0x1002
Add-ons: ImportExportToolsNG%40cleidigh.kokkini.net:12.0.2,google%40search.mozilla.org:1.0,amazondotcom%40search.mozilla.org:1.1,bing%40search.mozilla..org:1.0,ddg%40search.mozilla.org:1.0,wikipedia%40search.mozilla.org:1.0,default-theme%40mozilla.org:1.3,langpack-en-GB%40thunderbird.mozilla.org:102.10.0buildid20230407.145224,langpack-en-CA%40thunderbird.mozilla.org:102.10.0buildid20230407.145224
AvailablePageFile: 7352074240
AvailablePhysicalMemory: 18715361280
AvailableSwapMemory: 2147479552
AvailableVirtualMemory: 22351097856
BackgroundTaskMode: 0
BuildID: 20230407145224
ContentSandboxCapabilities: 119
ContentSandboxCapable: 1
ContentSandboxLevel: 0
CrashTime: 1683801259
DOMFissionEnabled: 1
DOMIPCEnabled: 1
DesktopEnvironment: cinnamon
HeadlessMode: 0
InstallTime: 1682422788
IsWayland: 0
Notes: Linux Mint 20.3FP(D00-L1000-W00000000-T000) WR? WR+
ProductID: {3550f703-e582-4d05-9a08-453d09bdfdc6}
ProductName: Thunderbird
ReleaseChannel: release
SafeMode: 0
SecondsSinceLastCrash: 52700
StartupCrash: 0
StartupTime: 1683800478
SubmittedFrom: Client
TelemetryEnvironment: {"build":{"applicationId":"{3550f703-e582-4d05-9a08-453d09bdfdc6}","applicationName":"Thunderbird","architecture":"x86-64","buildId":"20230407145224","version":"102.10.0","vendor":null,"displayVersion":"102.10.0","platformVersion":"102.10.0","xpcomAbi":"x86_64-gcc3","updaterAvailable":false},"partner":{"distributionId":null,"distributionVersion":null,"partnerId":null,"distributor":null,"distributorChannel":null,"partnerNames":[]},"system":{"memoryMB":23779,"virtualMaxMB":null,"cpu":{"extensions":["hasMMX","hasSSE","hasSSE2","hasSSE3","hasSSSE3","hasSSE4A","hasSSE4_1","hasSSE4_2","hasAVX","hasAES"]},"os":{"name":"Linux","version":"5.4.0-148-generic","locale":"en-US"},"hdd":{"profile":{"model":null,"revision":null,"type":null},"binary":{"model":null,"revision":null,"type":null},"system":{"model":null,"revision":null,"type":null}},"gfx":{"D2DEnabled":null,"DWriteEnabled":null,"ContentBackend":"Skia","Headless":false,"EmbeddedInFirefoxReality":null,"adapters":[{"description":"AMD RS780 (DRM 2.50.0 / 5.4.0-148-generic, LLVM 12.0.0)","vendorID":"0x1002","deviceID":"0x9616","subsysID":null,"RAM":0,"driver":null,"driverVendor":"mesa/r600","driverVersion":"21.2.6.0","driverDate":null,"GPUActive":true}],"monitors":[{"screenWidth":1920,"screenHeight":1080}],"features":{"compositor":"none","hwCompositing":{"status":"blocked:"},"gpuProcess":{"status":"unused"},"wrQualified":{"status":"blocklisted:FEATURE_FAILURE_WEBRENDER_BUG_1673939"},"webrender":{"status":"disabled:FEATURE_FAILURE_NOT_QUALIFIED"},"wrCompositor":{"status":"blocked:FEATURE_FAILURE_DISABLE_RELEASE_OR_BETA"},"wrSoftware":{"status":"available"},"openglCompositing":{"status":"unavailable:FEATURE_FAILURE_OPENGL_NEED_HWCOMP"},"omtp":{"status":"unused"}}},"appleModelId":null,"hasWinPackageId":null},"settings":{"blocklistEnabled":true,"e10sEnabled":true,"e10sMultiProcesses":8,"fissionEnabled":true,"telemetryEnabled":false,"locale":"en-US","intl":{},"update":{"channel":"release","enabled":true,"autoDownload":false,"background":false},"userPrefs":{"browser.cache.disk.capacity":1048576,"browser.search.region":"US","network.trr.strict_native_fallback":false,"places.history.enabled":false,"privacy.donottrackheader.enabled":true,"widget.content.allow-gtk-dark-theme":false,"widget.content.gtk-high-contrast.enabled":true},"sandbox":{"effectiveContentProcessLevel":0,"contentWin32kLockdownState":3},"addonCompatibilityCheckEnabled":true,"isDefaultBrowser":null},"profile":{}}
TelemetrySessionId: 00467bcf-19d1-48a6-b54f-cca72a7043af
Throttleable: 1
TotalPageFile: 27081908224
TotalPhysicalMemory: 24934428672
UptimeTS: 781.2482876
Version: 102.10.0
useragent_locale: en-US

This report also contains technical information about the state of the application when it crashed.

--
Nic <Nic@none.net>

Re: LMDE5 recognized my printer

<slrnu5plpn.t5.dan@djph.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6120&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6120

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 11:52:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Thu, 11 May 2023 11:52 UTC

On 2023-05-10, Nic wrote:
> On Wed, 10 May 2023 14:16:45 +0200
> Edmund <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On 5/10/23 00:01, Nic wrote:
>>> and printed with no problem. On a hunch I loaded a live distro of
>>> LMDE5 and the problem printer from undecided Ubuntu hell printed
>>> nicely. It is time for me to switch.
>>
>>I am curious what I live distro from your current version does.
>>I guess it will work just as good.
>>
>>Edmund
>
> I booted a live LM 20.3 and this version could not detect my HL-L2325DW
> printer. I would like to know how to add this printer to the list of
> printers (and where it is located. It seems that the dividing line for

You install Brother's CUPSWrapper driver...
> a functional Brother printer is around $400+ American Dollars, anything
> below that might be considered a bottomless pit of expenses for
> toner... Look at some of the cheaper HP laser printers, they require

Huh, I have an old HL2100W (was like a hundred bucks) that is just as
inexpensive to get toner for as my big multifunction copier thing (in
terms of price / page ... at least in B&W).

--
|_|O|_|

Re: LMDE5 recognized my printer

<20230512182537.74c6653f@nic-System-Product-Name>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6133&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6133

From: nic...@nic.net (Nic)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 18:25:37 -0400
 by: Nic - Fri, 12 May 2023 22:25 UTC

On Thu, 11 May 2023 11:52:24 -0000 (UTC)
Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:

>On 2023-05-10, Nic wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 May 2023 14:16:45 +0200
>> Edmund <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>>I am curious what I live distro from your current version does.
>>>I guess it will work just as good.
>>>
>>>Edmund
>>
>> I booted a live LM 20.3 and this version could not detect my
>> HL-L2325DW printer. I would like to know how to add this printer to
>> the list of printers (and where it is located. It seems that the
>> dividing line for
>
>You install Brother's CUPSWrapper driver...
>> a functional Brother printer is around $400+ American Dollars,
>> anything below that might be considered a bottomless pit of expenses
>> for toner... Look at some of the cheaper HP laser printers, they
>> require
>
>Huh, I have an old HL2100W (was like a hundred bucks) that is just as
>inexpensive to get toner for as my big multifunction copier thing (in
>terms of price / page ... at least in B&W).

Look carefully and come back to report. If you are looking for a
printer that is 'on the list' see open printers.org, then you have to
set your sights to that $400 printer. Consider that all those business
majors have charted the course for the printer market. That is unless
you are open to a used printer market, but like all hardware if it is
used it is on its way out.

Re: LMDE5 recognized my printer

<slrnu5veku.t5.dan@djph.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6137&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6137

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 16:27:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Sat, 13 May 2023 16:27 UTC

On 2023-05-12, Nic wrote:
> On Thu, 11 May 2023 11:52:24 -0000 (UTC)
> Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:
>
>>On 2023-05-10, Nic wrote:

>>> I booted a live LM 20.3 and this version could not detect my
>>> HL-L2325DW printer. I would like to know how to add this printer to
>>> the list of printers (and where it is located. It seems that the
>>> dividing line for
>>
>>You install Brother's CUPSWrapper driver...
>>> a functional Brother printer is around $400+ American Dollars,
>>> anything below that might be considered a bottomless pit of expenses
>>> for toner... Look at some of the cheaper HP laser printers, they
>>> require
>>
>>Huh, I have an old HL2100W (was like a hundred bucks) that is just as
>>inexpensive to get toner for as my big multifunction copier thing (in
>>terms of price / page ... at least in B&W).
>>

> Look carefully and come back to report. If you are looking for a
> printer that is 'on the list' see open printers.org, then you have to
> set your sights to that $400 printer. Consider that all those business
> majors have charted the course for the printer market. That is unless
> you are open to a used printer market, but like all hardware if it is
> used it is on its way out.

openprinting.org is nice and all; but last time I checked, only tracks
those printers that utilize opensource drivers (and don't indicate if
there's a proprietary driver).

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to get at. I grabbed said random
Brother printer because it was a hundred bucks back when I bought it new
in 2008 or 2009.

Didn't even check if it worked with Linux, beyond "do they have a Linux
driver on their website?" (yes, they did).

--
|_|O|_|

Re: LMDE5 recognized my printer

<20230513130414.bd4803785df2cac8891658e5@none.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6139&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6139

From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 13:04:14 -0400
 by: Nic - Sat, 13 May 2023 17:04 UTC

On Sat, 13 May 2023 16:27:12 -0000 (UTC)
Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:

>On 2023-05-12, Nic wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 May 2023 11:52:24 -0000 (UTC)
>> Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:

>>>You install Brother's CUPSWrapper driver...
>>>
>>>Huh, I have an old HL2100W (was like a hundred bucks) that is just as
>>>inexpensive to get toner for as my big multifunction copier thing (in
>>>terms of price / page ... at least in B&W).
>>>

>> Look carefully and come back to report. If you are looking for a
>> printer that is 'on the list' see open printers.org, then you have to
>> set your sights to that $400 printer. Consider that all those business
>> majors have charted the course for the printer market. That is unless
>> you are open to a used printer market, but like all hardware if it is
>> used it is on its way out.
>
>openprinting.org is nice and all; but last time I checked, only tracks
>those printers that utilize opensource drivers (and don't indicate if
>there's a proprietary driver).
>
>I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to get at. I grabbed said random
>Brother printer because it was a hundred bucks back when I bought it new
>in 2008 or 2009.
>
>Didn't even check if it worked with Linux, beyond "do they have a Linux
>driver on their website?" (yes, they did).
>

>--
>|_|O|_|
>|_|_|O| Github: https://github.com/dpurgert

Is it possible to purchase your printer new today? So your choices of 15 years ago are not applicable in today's market. The low end HP printers of today require an internet connection to function, because they measure the toner very carefully. Other companies such as Brother take a different approach, they use a chip to determine authentic toner cartridges, the money is in repeated purchases of ink/toner. My point is that if you look at the openprinter selections, they are either out of production or above that $400 threshold.