Physician: One upon whom we set our hopes when ill and our dogs when well. -- Ambrose Bierce

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: OT: Anybody know how YouTube is censoring comments?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: OT: Anybody know how YouTube is censoring comments?Bill
`* Re: OT: Anybody know how YouTube is censoring comments?J. P. Gilliver (John)
 `- Re: OT: Anybody know how YouTube is censoring comments?Bill

1
Re: OT: Anybody know how YouTube is censoring comments?

<4iw2K.22392$e%.11547@fx36.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61432&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61432

Subject: Re: OT: Anybody know how YouTube is censoring comments?
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 02:32:32 -0400
 by: Bill - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 06:32 UTC

On 4/3/2022 11:43 PM, John Doe wrote:
> Like anybody deeply familiar with computing, I can read between the lines,
> but... YouTube is censoring comments in the weirdest way.
>
> They begin shadow banning posts in a thread at some point, but I haven't
> figured out what the algorithm is.

Individual posters can set their accounts up so that posts are deleted
after a specific period of time (3 months? 6 months?). There is a
default time that you can opt for if you want this option. Maybe the
comments you are following are simply "expiring" because of this?

Sometimes only my posts will be shadow
> banned. Other times, I get to post and post while reply authors are being
> shadow banned.
>
> Do you think it's possible they are doing it manually? You might be able to
> tell shadow banning has started, without verifying it in another browser,
> when you see a larger number of posts than actually appear after clicking on
> "View replies".
>
> I'm using Microsoft Edge to verify.
>
> One of my original posts on a CNN video was followed up by some weird spammer
> using a CNN logo, and then the thread was locked after only those 2 posts! My
> follow up posts are shadow banned.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIl_cJdaHPasRKhD2g24j2A/about
>
> Maybe if I can find another one of that one's posts...
>
> I love Internet mysteries, this is a good one. If it's being done manually,
> of course there might be no rhyme or reason. But usually such things are done
> programmatically.

Re: OT: Anybody know how YouTube is censoring comments?

<BwUg77j0OvSiFwRK@a.a>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61436&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61436

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 14:33:40 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 13:33 UTC

On Mon, 4 Apr 2022 at 02:32:32, Bill <nonegiven@att.net> wrote (my
>On 4/3/2022 11:43 PM, John Doe wrote:
>> Like anybody deeply familiar with computing, I can read between the lines,
>> but... YouTube is censoring comments in the weirdest way.
>> They begin shadow banning posts in a thread at some point, but I
>>haven't
>> figured out what the algorithm is.

I think their comment engine (?) is broken anyway; sometimes (especially
if I go back to a page within a few minutes, or refresh it), I don't see
quotes I know are there (because they were there a moment ago, or
occasionally because other posts refer to them) - and messing about
(refreshing, going to another and coming back, even searching for it and
finding it again) will sometimes make them reappear. So, by (roughly)
Hanlon's razor, I wouldn't put it down _always_ to deliberate action,
though I'm sure there is some (I'd actually hope there _is_ _some_).

>Individual posters can set their accounts up so that posts are deleted
>after a specific period of time (3 months? 6 months?). There is a
>default time that you can opt for if you want this option. Maybe the
>comments you are following are simply "expiring" because of this?

I didn't know that. (I _think_ mine have no expiry time - I've certainly
seen things I've said years ago. [And of course forgotten! Often I think
"oh, I agree with that" - occasionally, "who is this idiot"!])

>Sometimes only my posts will be shadow
>> banned. Other times, I get to post and post while reply authors are being
>> shadow banned.
>> Do you think it's possible they are doing it manually? You might be
>>able to
>> tell shadow banning has started, without verifying it in another browser,
>> when you see a larger number of posts than actually appear after clicking on
>> "View replies".

I often see that (fewer replies than the number after "View"). I've
always assumed it was incompetence/fault rather than deliberate: I'd
have thought if they were going to deliberately delete "posts", the
number would be amended accordingly (and automatically). Though if
they're "Blocked" in some way rather than deleted, in that they're still
there but hidden, that might apply.

I've sometimes - not often, but more than once - seen, I think always on
the last post on a page, a "View reply" click, which when clicked turns
to a "Hide replies" as normal - but doesn't actually show any reply/ies.
[]
>> I love Internet mysteries, this is a good one. If it's being done
>>manually,
>> of course there might be no rhyme or reason. But usually such things are done
>> programmatically.

If a tree falls in the forest and it lands on a bear that's having a shit...
williamwright <wrightsaerials"f2s.com> in uk.texh.broadcast, 2021-12-8

Re: OT: Anybody know how YouTube is censoring comments?

<AKC2K.244544$%uX7.34463@fx38.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61437&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61437

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 09:52:32 -0400
 by: Bill - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 13:52 UTC

On 4/4/2022 9:33 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Apr 2022 at 02:32:32, Bill <nonegiven@att.net> wrote (my
>> On 4/3/2022 11:43 PM, John Doe wrote:
>>> Like anybody deeply familiar with computing, I can read between the
>>> lines,
>>> but... YouTube is censoring comments in the weirdest way.
>>>  They begin shadow banning posts in a thread at some point, but I
>>> haven't
>>> figured out what the algorithm is.
>
> I think their comment engine (?) is broken anyway; sometimes (especially
> if I go back to a page within a few minutes, or refresh it), I don't see
> quotes I know are there (because they were there a moment ago, or
> occasionally because other posts refer to them) - and messing about
> (refreshing, going to another and coming back, even searching for it and
> finding it again) will sometimes make them reappear. So, by (roughly)
> Hanlon's razor, I wouldn't put it down _always_ to deliberate action,
> though I'm sure there is some (I'd actually hope there _is_ _some_).
>>
>> Individual posters can set their accounts up so that posts are deleted
>> after a specific period of time (3 months? 6 months?). There is a
>> default time that you can opt for if you want this option. Maybe the
>> comments you are following are simply "expiring" because of this?
>>
> I didn't know that. (I _think_ mine have no expiry time - I've certainly
> seen things I've said years ago.

Yes, by default, it does not delete them. But given the choice, I would
just as soon not leave a long paper trail... I suppose if someone was
really interested, they could record everything on YouTube every day.