Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed. -- Neil Armstrong

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Running legacy drivers

SubjectAuthor
* Running legacy driversStan Brown
+* Re: Running legacy driversMayayana
|`* Re: Running legacy driversZaidy036
| +* Re: Running legacy driversVanguardLH
| |+- Re: Running legacy driversStan Brown
| |`* Re: Running legacy driversZaidy036
| | `- Re: Running legacy driverswasbit
| `* Re: Running legacy driversJohn
|  +- Re: Running legacy driversMayayana
|  `* Re: Running legacy driversKen Blake
|   +* Re: Running legacy driversRene Lamontagne
|   |+* Re: Running legacy driversKen Blake
|   ||`* Re: Running legacy driversJohn
|   || `* Re: Running legacy driversKen Blake
|   ||  `- Re: Running legacy driversJohn
|   |`* Re: Running legacy driversVanguardLH
|   | +* Re: Running legacy driversRene Lamontagne
|   | |`* Re: Running legacy driversFrank Slootweg
|   | | `* Re: Running legacy driversJ. P. Gilliver (John)
|   | |  `* Re: Running legacy driversFrank Slootweg
|   | |   `* Re: Running legacy driversJ. P. Gilliver (John)
|   | |    +- Re: Running legacy driversPaul
|   | |    `- Re: Running legacy driversFrank Slootweg
|   | `* Re: Running legacy driversJohn
|   |  `* Re: Running legacy driversKen Blake
|   |   `* Re: Running legacy driversJohn
|   |    `- Re: Running legacy driversKen Blake
|   +* Re: Running legacy driversJohn
|   |`* Re: Running legacy driversJ. P. Gilliver (John)
|   | `- Re: Running legacy driversJohn
|   `* Re: Running legacy driversStan Brown
|    `- Re: Running legacy driversJohn
+* Re: Running legacy driversVanguardLH
|`* Re: Running legacy driversStan Brown
| +* Re: Running legacy driversKen Blake
| |`* Re: Running legacy driversStan Brown
| | +* Re: Running legacy driversKen Blake
| | |+- Re: Running legacy driversChar Jackson
| | |`* Re: Running legacy driversStan Brown
| | | `- Re: Running legacy driversKen Blake
| | `- Re: Running legacy driversPaul
| `* Re: Running legacy driversVanguardLH
|  +* Re: Running legacy driversStan Brown
|  |+- Re: Running legacy driversChar Jackson
|  |`* Re: Running legacy driversVanguardLH
|  | `* Re: Running legacy driversStan Brown
|  |  `* Re: Running legacy driversMayayana
|  |   `- Re: Running legacy driversApd
|  `- Re: Running legacy driversVanguardLH
+- Re: Running legacy driversAndy Burnelli
+* OT: Re: Running legacy driverswasbit
|`* Re: OT: Re: Running legacy driversStan Brown
| `* Re: OT: Re: Running legacy driversJ. P. Gilliver (John)
|  +* Re: OT: Re: Running legacy driversStan Brown
|  |+- Re: OT: Re: Running legacy driversJ. P. Gilliver (John)
|  |`- Re: OT: Re: Running legacy driversThe Horny Goat
|  `* Re: OT: Re: Running legacy driversStan Brown
|   `* Re: OT: Re: Running legacy driversJ. P. Gilliver (John)
|    `- Re: OT: Re: Running legacy driversStan Brown
`* Well, this is weird (Re: Running legacy drivers)Stan Brown
 `* Re: Well, this is weird (Re: Running legacy drivers)VanguardLH
  `* Re: Well, this is weird (Re: Running legacy drivers)Stan Brown
   `* Re: Well, this is weird (Re: Running legacy drivers)VanguardLH
    `* Re: Well, this is weird (Re: Running legacy drivers)Stan Brown
     `* Re: Well, this is weird (Re: Running legacy drivers)VanguardLH
      +* Re: Well, this is weird (Re: Running legacy drivers)VanguardLH
      |`- Re: Well, this is weird (Re: Running legacy drivers)Stan Brown
      `* Re: Well, this is weird (Re: Running legacy drivers)Stan Brown
       `- Re: Well, this is weird (Re: Running legacy drivers)VanguardLH

Pages:123
Running legacy drivers

<MPG.3cbc01ca7e7d725d98fefe@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61554&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61554

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Running legacy drivers
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 21:49:48 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 04:49 UTC

Canon never created digitally signed drivers for the LiDE 50 or 60
scanner. I was nonetheless able to install the driver through the
procedure documented at
<https://BrownMath.com/general/10tip.htm#LegacyDrivers>

But after a reboot, Windows won't let driver. Windows doesn't pop up
an error message; Irfanview just can't connect to the driver. So I
have to do this:
1. In an admin command prompt, "bcdedit -set testsigning on".
2. Reboot. (Windows shows the "Test Mode" warning when I log in.)
3. Scan my documents.
4. In an admin command prompt, "bcdedit -set testsigning off".
5. Reboot. (And Windows is no longer in Test Mode.)

Is there a simpler way? I don't mind having to execute a command, but
rebooting is kind of a pain. I've googled, but didn't find anything
useful. (Thee was nothing in the "All-in-One Windows 10 for Dummies"
that we discussed her a few weeks back.) Maybe my search terms were
at fault, and a simple solution does exist.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Running legacy drivers

<t2ufu2$4kg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61557&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61557

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Running legacy drivers
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 07:44:18 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 11:44 UTC

"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote

| Canon never created digitally signed drivers for the LiDE 50 or 60
| scanner. I was nonetheless able to install the driver through the
| procedure documented at
| <https://BrownMath.com/general/10tip.htm#LegacyDrivers>

That looks old. The nointegritychecks switch also doesn't work?

You can also use the Windows Image Acquisition interface to
access a scanner, in place of TWAIN, but it's very unlikely that
your scanner supports it. WIA is supported back to XP SP1 but
I think device makers have to provide some kind of interface
for it.... Might be time to buy a new device. Though I've noticed
that prices seem to be going up. My last two printer/scanners
were each about $80, as I recall. Almost as cheap as buying new
ink. But now they seem to start at about twice that price.

Re: Running legacy drivers

<t2ut5f$l9h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61559&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61559

From: Zaidy...@air.isp.spam (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 15:29:51 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:+v4zirT4QVPheXwZA4Kmn72ZKrc=
 by: Zaidy036 - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 15:29 UTC

Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:
> "Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote
>
> | Canon never created digitally signed drivers for the LiDE 50 or 60
> | scanner. I was nonetheless able to install the driver through the
> | procedure documented at
> | <https://BrownMath.com/general/10tip.htm#LegacyDrivers>
> |

> That looks old. The nointegritychecks switch also doesn't work?
>
> You can also use the Windows Image Acquisition interface to
> access a scanner, in place of TWAIN, but it's very unlikely that
> your scanner supports it. WIA is supported back to XP SP1 but
> I think device makers have to provide some kind of interface
> for it.... Might be time to buy a new device. Though I've noticed
> that prices seem to be going up. My last two printer/scanners
> were each about $80, as I recall. Almost as cheap as buying new
> ink. But now they seem to start at about twice that price.

Try Vuescan for free. Pay otherwise has watermark OR prelim scan then
screen copy into jpg to print without mark.

--
Zaidy036

Re: Running legacy drivers

<ex9yzq6he332$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61560&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61560

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 10:38:58 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 15:38 UTC

Stan Brown wrote:

> Canon never created digitally signed drivers for the LiDE 50 or 60
> scanner. I was nonetheless able to install the driver through the
> procedure documented at
> <https://BrownMath.com/general/10tip.htm#LegacyDrivers>
>
> But after a reboot, Windows won't let driver. Windows doesn't pop up
> an error message; Irfanview just can't connect to the driver. So I
> have to do this:
> 1. In an admin command prompt, "bcdedit -set testsigning on".
> 2. Reboot. (Windows shows the "Test Mode" warning when I log in.)
> 3. Scan my documents.
> 4. In an admin command prompt, "bcdedit -set testsigning off".
> 5. Reboot. (And Windows is no longer in Test Mode.)
>
> Is there a simpler way? I don't mind having to execute a command, but
> rebooting is kind of a pain. I've googled, but didn't find anything
> useful. (Thee was nothing in the "All-in-One Windows 10 for Dummies"
> that we discussed her a few weeks back.) Maybe my search terms were
> at fault, and a simple solution does exist.

Wouldn't their Windows 7 drivers be signed? At their web site, they
note you could try their Win7 drivers, but they don't support them under
Windows 10.

Driver signing is not required under 32-bit versions of Windows.
Although you likely have Windows 10 due to the name of this newsgroup to
which you posted, we don't know which bit-width version. 64-bit Windows
require drivers be signed starting with Windows 10.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/install/kernel-mode-code-signing-policy--windows-vista-and-later-

Since Canon is not supporting use of their LiDE 50/60 scanners under
Windows 10, there would be no reason to spend the money and effort to
get them signed.

Authenticode was required previously. For 32-bit Windows, users got
prompted to authorize installation of non-validated drivers. Microsoft
implement Authenticode on drivers going back to Windows XP. There was a
split in 2015 when Microsoft said they were ending support for certs
using the old and deprecated (vulnerable) cert algorithms, so it was
possible an Authenticode-signed XP (and maybe Vista) driver would not
install under later versions of Windows.

Canon says it has Windows 7 drivers, but perhaps with some limitations
(which Canon doesn't know about, just warns might happen), so I would
think those would be Authenticode signed. Have you tried installing the
Windows 7 drivers (64-bit drivers if Windows is 64-bit) to see if they
get rejected?

Instead of the Canon drivers, have you uninstalled the device in Device
Manager, rescanned for the device, and test if embedded drivers included
in Windows, if any, will work for the device? See:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-compatability-with-canoscan-lide-60/bee1a5fc-e15e-4ee5-815c-071afa744722

Re: Running legacy drivers

<1rh7ypcpjmwut.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61561&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61561

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 10:59:37 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 15:59 UTC

Zaidy036 wrote:

> Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:
>> "Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote
>>
>>| Canon never created digitally signed drivers for the LiDE 50 or 60
>>| scanner. I was nonetheless able to install the driver through the
>>| procedure documented at
>>| <https://BrownMath.com/general/10tip.htm#LegacyDrivers>
>>|

>> That looks old. The nointegritychecks switch also doesn't work?
>>
>> You can also use the Windows Image Acquisition interface to
>> access a scanner, in place of TWAIN, but it's very unlikely that
>> your scanner supports it. WIA is supported back to XP SP1 but
>> I think device makers have to provide some kind of interface
>> for it.... Might be time to buy a new device. Though I've noticed
>> that prices seem to be going up. My last two printer/scanners
>> were each about $80, as I recall. Almost as cheap as buying new
>> ink. But now they seem to start at about twice that price.
>>

> Try Vuescan for free. Pay otherwise has watermark ...

$40 for standard version, $100 for Pro version. Ouch. For the cost of
the Pro version, you can buy a Canon LiDE 300 (supports Win10) at
newegg.com. Even cheaper ($70) at microcenter.com.

> ... OR prelim scan then screen copy into jpg to print without mark.

If the free (trial) version never expires, and the workaround works (no
watermark in the image file), that would be a doable solution. Does
printing to an image file format the output to get sized to the paper in
the printer?

I've read where other users consider NAPS2 an alternative to VueScan.

https://www.naps2.com/
https://github.com/cyanfish/naps2

However, looks like it was discontinued in 2019, but that doesn't mean
it stopped working.

Since Vuescan works as a program that includes the hardware interface
instead of relying on drivers to interface between OS and device, you
may not be able to use other software, like Irfanview, to use the
device. I ran into this with an old scanner that worked under Windows
9x, but the company didn't provide software that worked under NT-based
versions of Windows. Drivers are needed only to provide an interface
between the OS and a device (real or emulated). If the software has all
the same commands to operate the device, a separate driver is not needed
nor would one be used. If you use the software with the built-in
interface to the device (the driver code is built into the software),
you cannot use other software to use the device.

Could be the OP must use the Canon Toolbox software to interface to and
use the LiDE 60 scanner under Windows 10. He won't see the device when
using other software.

Re: Running legacy drivers

<MPG.3cbcd37c81292c9698feff@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61563&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61563

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 12:44:31 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 19:44 UTC

On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 10:38:58 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

> Stan Brown wrote:
>
> > Canon never created digitally signed drivers for the LiDE 50 or 60
> > scanner. I was nonetheless able to install the driver through the
> > procedure documented at
> > <https://BrownMath.com/general/10tip.htm#LegacyDrivers>
> >
> > But after a reboot, Windows won't let driver. Windows doesn't pop up
> > an error message; Irfanview just can't connect to the driver. So I
> > have to do this:
> > 1. In an admin command prompt, "bcdedit -set testsigning on".
> > 2. Reboot. (Windows shows the "Test Mode" warning when I log in.)
> > 3. Scan my documents.
> > 4. In an admin command prompt, "bcdedit -set testsigning off".
> > 5. Reboot. (And Windows is no longer in Test Mode.)
> >
> > Is there a simpler way? I don't mind having to execute a command, but
> > rebooting is kind of a pain.

Yes, I'm running Windows 10. I assumed that was obvious from the
newsgroup name, but I forgot that some people have posted here about
other versions of Windows. What happens when we ASS-U-ME? :-)

And yes, it is 64-bit Windows 10, currently 21H1. (The update to 21H2
wasn't automatically installed, and it doesn't look like having
anything I need anyway.)

Some folks seemed to imply that the driver wasn't working under
Windows 10. That's not quite right. It works fine as long as I
execute "bcdedit -set testsigning on" and reboot. (I had to turn on
nointegritychecks to install the driver, but not to run it.) My issue
is that I'm hoping for something that won't require two reboots (one
to turn testsigning on, and a second one to turn it off again).

> Wouldn't their Windows 7 drivers be signed? At their web site, they
> note you could try their Win7 drivers, but they don't support them under
> Windows 10.

Yes, I tried that in January when I first hooked up the scanner to my
new Windows 10 PC. I'm pretty sure that's the same driver I was
already using on my Windows 7 (64-bit) laptop. In any case, though
Windows 7 had no problem with it, Windows 10 wouldn't let it install
until I turned on nointegritychecks.

> Since Canon is not supporting use of their LiDE 50/60 scanners under
> Windows 10, there would be no reason to spend the money and effort to
> get them signed.

Agreed. I believe the drivers were officially supported only under
Windows XP (which is where I installed mine initially) possibly plus
Vista (with which I have no experience).
> Canon says it has Windows 7 drivers, but perhaps with some limitations
> (which Canon doesn't know about, just warns might happen), so I would
> think those would be Authenticode signed. Have you tried installing the
> Windows 7 drivers (64-bit drivers if Windows is 64-bit) to see if they
> get rejected?

Yup. Just to be clear: installing the driver is a solved problem: I
just had to turn on nointegritychecks for the install.
> Instead of the Canon drivers, have you uninstalled the device in Device
> Manager, rescanned for the device, and test if embedded drivers included
> in Windows, if any, will work for the device? See:
>
> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-compatability-with-canoscan-lide-60/bee1a5fc-e15e-4ee5-815c-071afa744722

Yes, I tried that back in January. I can't recall precisely how that
install failed, but it did. Maybe "unknown device" or similar, maybe
advice to go to the manufacturer's website (which was useless).

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Running legacy drivers

<MPG.3cbcd5649dede12798ff00@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61564&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61564

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 12:52:42 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 19:52 UTC

On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 10:59:37 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:
> Zaidy036 wrote:
>
> > Try Vuescan for free. Pay otherwise has watermark ...
>
> $40 for standard version, $100 for Pro version. Ouch. For the cost of
> the Pro version, you can buy a Canon LiDE 300 (supports Win10) at
> newegg.com. Even cheaper ($70) at microcenter.com.

Ouch indeed. Between rebooting before and after doing my scanning,
and paying money for new hardware or software (which might have its
own issues), I'll take the former.

> Since Vuescan works as a program that includes the hardware interface
> instead of relying on drivers to interface between OS and device, you
> may not be able to use other software, like Irfanview, to use the
> device.

An Irfanview feature that I would not wan t to lose is concatenating
multiple scans into a TIFF, which can be exported as a PDF. Many of
the bills and such that I get are multiple pages. (I could use mutool
to concatenate single-page PDFs into a complete document, but that
would be a nuisance.)

> Could be the OP must use the Canon Toolbox software to interface to and
> use the LiDE 60 scanner under Windows 10. He won't see the device when
> using other software.

I remember trying out the Canon toolbox when I first got the scanner.
It seemed like it just got in the way, and in any case I no longer
have the install CD.

Even with testsigning = no, Irfanview can see the scanner through
TWAIN; it shows up in the "Select TWAIN Source" dialog. The when I
try to do a scan, the scanner chirps once, and an Irfanview popup
tells Irfanview can't connect to the scanner. With testsigning = yes,
everything works just as it did for me in Windows 7.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Running legacy drivers

<t2vg6o$gt8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61565&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61565

From: Zaidy...@air.isp.spam (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 20:54:49 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:kzcVRfs542xJDPhU6VV9UbXytPI=
 by: Zaidy036 - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 20:54 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
> Zaidy036 wrote:
>
>> Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:
>>> "Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote

>>> That looks old. The nointegritychecks switch also doesn't work?
>>>
>>> You can also use the Windows Image Acquisition interface to
>>> access a scanner, in place of TWAIN, but it's very unlikely that
>>> your scanner supports it. WIA is supported back to XP SP1 but
>>> I think device makers have to provide some kind of interface
>>> for it.... Might be time to buy a new device. Though I've noticed
>>> that prices seem to be going up. My last two printer/scanners
>>> were each about $80, as I recall. Almost as cheap as buying new
>>> ink. But now they seem to start at about twice that price.
>>>

>> Try Vuescan for free. Pay otherwise has watermark ...
>
> $40 for standard version, $100 for Pro version. Ouch. For the cost of
> the Pro version, you can buy a Canon LiDE 300 (supports Win10) at
> newegg.com. Even cheaper ($70) at microcenter.com.
>
>> ... OR prelim scan then screen copy into jpg to print without mark.
>
> If the free (trial) version never expires, and the workaround works (no
> watermark in the image file), that would be a doable solution. Does
> printing to an image file format the output to get sized to the paper in
> the printer?

Never expires and also upgrades. Copy paste into prog of your choice and
its print limitations hold. Can convert to PDF with Faststone or other.

I use this on an old scanner without drivers for Win 7 or beyond but still
works great. Of course if I scanned a lot would pay for Vuescan or a new
scanner. Home use only.

--
Zaidy036

Re: Running legacy drivers

<t2vh39$1b56$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61566&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61566

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.periphs.printers
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 22:10:15 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 21:10 UTC

Stan Brown wrote:

> Canon never created digitally signed drivers for the LiDE 50 or 60
> scanner. I was nonetheless able to install the driver through the
> procedure documented at
> <https://BrownMath.com/general/10tip.htm#LegacyDrivers>

I am confused by your explanation but I skimmed the responses to date so I
see there are myriad details where I just want to add a tiny bit of value if
I can by saying I wrote up a tutorial (with help from this newsgroup) for
installing legacy _printer_ drivers for Windows 10 when _both_ the
manufacturer (in my case, HP) _and_ Windows 10 (current) refuse to find them
and install them.

I realize you already solved your Canon driver problem, and it may be that
the drivers were never on Windows 10 (I'm not sure based on a quick skim);
but if the drivers were _ever_ ported to Windows 10, the tutorial should
work.

Just in case you need that tutorial, let me google for it for you.
<http://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.periphs.printers>

Well, that found a _different_ tutorial than the one I was looking for:
*Tutorial: How to update a driver that Windows just doesn't want to update*
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.microsoft.windows/c/a23fY9CM6rY>

It's unfortunate, but the search engine for _this_ ng stinks:
<http://tinyurl.com/alt-comp-os-windows-10>
<https://alt.comp.os.windows-10.narkive.com/>

I know what I am looking for but the Usenet search engine sucks.
<https://groups.google.com/g/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general>

Ah, here is one of the tutorials for installing legacy _printer_ drivers:
*Quick tutorial for installing the Hewlett Packard HP LaserJet 2100tn printer on Windows*
<https://groups.google.com/g/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/c/VWSC_9c8_Rg/m/-xPcmUvBBAAJ>

I use Irfanview as my TWAIN compatible app but I never had to install the
drivers for that so I can't help you specifically on the TWAIN stuff.

In summary, I hope this helps, but I think you already solved your problem,
and yet, _if_ the cab files for your Canon exist on the Microsoft catalogue,
it's a good idea to download them now so as to save yourself the future
trouble (you probably already have them though).
--
On Usenet, kind hearted people try to help each other all day every day.

Re: Running legacy drivers

<9oi65h5ka0hsgqengohmh8hc29j96pm6or@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61568&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61568

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 14:27:28 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 21:27 UTC

On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 12:44:31 -0700, Stan Brown
> [...]

>> think those would be Authenticode signed. Have you tried installing the
>> Windows 7 drivers (64-bit drivers if Windows is 64-bit) to see if they
>> get rejected?
>
>Yup. Just to be clear: installing the driver is a solved problem: I
>just had to turn on nointegritychecks for the install.
>
>> Instead of the Canon drivers, have you uninstalled the device in Device
>> Manager, rescanned for the device, and test if embedded drivers included
>> in Windows, if any, will work for the device? See:
>>
>> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-compatability-with-canoscan-lide-60/bee1a5fc-e15e-4ee5-815c-071afa744722
>
>Yes, I tried that back in January. I can't recall precisely how that
>install failed, but it did. Maybe "unknown device" or similar, maybe
>advice to go to the manufacturer's website (which was useless).

I'm running a Canon LiDE 60 here. I installed it under Windows 10 and
it now runs without a problem in 11. I don't remember doing anything
special to get it to work.

Telling you that doesn't help solve your problem, but it least lets
you know that a solution is possible.

Re: Running legacy drivers

<tlf7eheks24h.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61569&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61569

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 16:51:57 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 21:51 UTC

Is there a reason you can't keep using testsigning=on mode? What fails
to function in that diagnostic mode? There's a notice on boot, but does
it actually interfere with normal use of Windows, or with apps? In that
mode, you said the scanner works, but does anything else fail to work?

While you mention using the testsigning argument to bcdedit, other
articles, like:

https://www.simple-shop.si/en/disable-enable-driver-signature-enforcement-on-windows-10
https://www.technipages.com/enable-disable-device-driver-signing

mention using nointegritychecks, as in:

bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks off

That requires Secure Boot is disabled in the UEFI. Did you ever enable
Secure Boot mode?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/bcdedit--set
nointegritychecks [ on | off ]
Disables integrity checks. Cannot be set when secure boot is enabled.
This value is ignored by Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Re: Running legacy drivers

<MPG.3cbd0f128edb1a9898ff01@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61575&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61575

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 16:58:43 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 23:58 UTC

On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 14:27:28 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:

> I'm running a Canon LiDE 60 here. I installed it under Windows 10 and
> it now runs without a problem in 11. I don't remember doing anything
> special to get it to work.
>
> Telling you that doesn't help solve your problem, but it least lets
> you know that a solution is possible.

Maybe it does help, Ken. I have an LiDE 50, but the only difference
between the two is that the 50 doesn't do some metric size of paper.
Is your Lide 60 driver installer somewhere I can grab it?

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Running legacy drivers

<MPG.3cbd100bac5b925b98ff02@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61576&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61576

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 17:02:54 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 00:02 UTC

On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 16:51:57 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:
> Is there a reason you can't keep using testsigning=on mode? What fails
> to function in that diagnostic mode? There's a notice on boot, but does
> it actually interfere with normal use of Windows, or with apps? In that
> mode, you said the scanner works, but does anything else fail to work?

No, it works, and I haven't seen any deleterious effects on Windows
10 generally. It's just the annoyance of having to reboot before and
after a scanning session that is the problem.

> While you mention using the testsigning argument to bcdedit, other
> articles, like:
>
> https://www.simple-shop.si/en/disable-enable-driver-signature-enforcement-on-windows-10
> https://www.technipages.com/enable-disable-device-driver-signing
>
> mention using nointegritychecks, as in:
>
> bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks off

I don't know if this is the _official_ answer, but based on my
experience, in my Windows 10 installation nointegritychecks is about
_installing_ the driver, and testsigning is about _running_ the
driver after install.

> That requires Secure Boot is disabled in the UEFI. Did you ever enable
> Secure Boot mode?
>
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/bcdedit--set
> nointegritychecks [ on | off ]
> Disables integrity checks. Cannot be set when secure boot is enabled.
> This value is ignored by Windows 7 and Windows 8.

It would appear I don't have Secure Boot.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Running legacy drivers

<a4u65h11t9oej0ecqa0mnl3i57tg30jdj3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61577&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61577

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 19:40:04 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 00:40 UTC

On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 17:02:54 -0700, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 16:51:57 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:
>> Is there a reason you can't keep using testsigning=on mode? What fails
>> to function in that diagnostic mode? There's a notice on boot, but does
>> it actually interfere with normal use of Windows, or with apps? In that
>> mode, you said the scanner works, but does anything else fail to work?
>
>No, it works, and I haven't seen any deleterious effects on Windows
>10 generally. It's just the annoyance of having to reboot before and
>after a scanning session that is the problem.

I have the same question that VanguardLH asked: If the other mode works,
why don't you just stay in that mode? What causes you to revert back?

Re: Running legacy drivers

<k0mvlhp3spmt$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61578&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61578

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 21:45:59 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 02:45 UTC

Stan Brown wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Is there a reason you can't keep using testsigning=on mode? What fails
>> to function in that diagnostic mode? There's a notice on boot, but does
>> it actually interfere with normal use of Windows, or with apps? In that
>> mode, you said the scanner works, but does anything else fail to work?
>
> No, it works, and I haven't seen any deleterious effects on Windows
> 10 generally. It's just the annoyance of having to reboot before and
> after a scanning session that is the problem.

But why turn it off, and reboot? Just turn it on, reboot, and leave it
on thereafter which won't require any more reboot (until YOU decide
later to turn it off).

With no deleterious effect, I'd turn it on, reboot once to effect it,
and leave it on thereafter (i.e., no turning it off). The only side
effect I saw is some badge about it being on, but isn't that just during
the boot sequence, and you could ignore it?

Re: Running legacy drivers

<t30pn4$ni4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61581&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61581

From: wasbitRE...@hotmail.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 09:43:11 +0100
 by: wasbit - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 08:43 UTC

"Zaidy036" <Zaidy036@air.isp.spam> wrote in message
> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>> Zaidy036 wrote:

>>> Try Vuescan for free. Pay otherwise has watermark ...
>>
>> $40 for standard version, $100 for Pro version. Ouch. For the cost of
>> the Pro version, you can buy a Canon LiDE 300 (supports Win10) at
>> newegg.com. Even cheaper ($70) at microcenter.com.
>>
>>> ... OR prelim scan then screen copy into jpg to print without mark.
>>
>> If the free (trial) version never expires, and the workaround works (no
>> watermark in the image file), that would be a doable solution. Does
>> printing to an image file format the output to get sized to the paper in
>> the printer?
>>

> Never expires and also upgrades. Copy paste into prog of your choice and
> its print limitations hold. Can convert to PDF with Faststone or other.
>
> I use this on an old scanner without drivers for Win 7 or beyond but still
> works great. Of course if I scanned a lot would pay for Vuescan or a new
> scanner. Home use only.

My notes say that the trial version of Vuescan adds a watermark. Is that
still the case?

--
Regards
wasbit

OT: Re: Running legacy drivers

<t30rtv$9gb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61582&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61582

From: wasbitRE...@hotmail.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: OT: Re: Running legacy drivers
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 10:20:58 +0100
 by: wasbit - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 09:20 UTC

"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message

> snip <
>
> <https://BrownMath.com/general/10tip.htm#LegacyDrivers>

Just wanted to say thanks for the Windows Tips & Tweaks. I even found a few
things that I wasn't aware of.
Nicely written & easy to read, now I can point beginners to those pages.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Running legacy drivers

<MPG.3cbda72211de033998ff03@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61585&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61585

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 03:47:30 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 10:47 UTC

On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 19:40:04 -0500, Char Jackson wrote:
> I have the same question that VanguardLH asked: If the other mode works,
> why don't you just stay in that mode? What causes you to revert back?

With testsigning = Yes, the "Test Mode" warning is in the lower right
of my screen, after login, and it stays there. I could ignore it,
maybe, but my concern is this:

I know the scanner driver is safe to use, because I've been using it
for literally decades. But maybe there's some _other_ unsigned
driver, either on my PC now or inadvertently downloaded in the
future, that is _not_ safe to use. Maybe Windows Defender or
Malwarebytes would catch it, but maybe not.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: OT: Re: Running legacy drivers

<MPG.3cbda773d27c05c798ff04@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61586&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61586

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: OT: Re: Running legacy drivers
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 03:49:01 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 10:49 UTC

On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 10:20:58 +0100, wasbit wrote:

> "Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
> >
> > snip <
> >
> > <https://BrownMath.com/general/10tip.htm#LegacyDrivers>

> Just wanted to say thanks for the Windows Tips & Tweaks. I even found a few
> things that I wasn't aware of.
> Nicely written & easy to read, now I can point beginners to those pages.

Thanks! When I finally got a Windows 10 PC, I had to learn a lot, and
I thought others might want to do the same kinds of things.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: OT: Re: Running legacy drivers

<vXzbCSE0aBViFwP5@a.a>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61589&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61589

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 12:53:24 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 11:53 UTC

On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 at 03:49:01, Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm>
wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 10:20:58 +0100, wasbit wrote:
>>
>> "Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
>> >
>> > snip <
>> >
>> > <https://BrownMath.com/general/10tip.htm#LegacyDrivers>
>
>> Just wanted to say thanks for the Windows Tips & Tweaks. I even found a few
>> things that I wasn't aware of.
>> Nicely written & easy to read, now I can point beginners to those pages.

Ditto; I am still a 7 user, but support the odd 10-user (and some who
are not odd!). Nice to find a plain HTML document without a header bar
that obscures things (on pages with such bars, PgUp/PgDn jump by more
than is visible!), and other pleasing aspects.

>Thanks! When I finally got a Windows 10 PC, I had to learn a lot, and
>I thought others might want to do the same kinds of things.

A coupe of thoughts/observations:
1. (This may be a Chrome thing rather than anything to do with the page,
but didn't happen with a few of the other links on the page I tried):
When I hover over "10 Ways to Open the Command Prompt in Windows 10", my
where-is-that-going indicator shows
"howtogeek.com/235101/10-ways-to-open-the-command-prompt-in-windows-10/",
then after a second or two changes to
"https://www.howtogeek.com/235101/10-ways-to-open-the-command-prompt-in-w
indows-10/" - i. e. it adds the "https://www." bit. Not important, just
odd!
2. In the history section, under 1-4 Jan 2022, you say "Also created an
image [Windows logo key] for the Windows logo key." I wondered if you
knew that the last character (FF, or 255) in Wingdings is that
character. (OK, assumes the presence of that font, but for once I think
it'd be reasonable to assume anyone reading the page does!) I will admit
I wasn't sure when I started reading the page what your little image
_did_ represent. (But that isn't meant as a criticism.)

(For entering funny characters: for those with UK keyboards you don't
need anything unusual for a lot of them - just use the Alt Gr key [which
is the right Alt key]: with e etc., it gives éáíóúýÉÁÍÓÚÝÇ;
with 2 [which has " on it on UK layout] _then_ a letter it gives
äöüÿïëÄËÏÖÜŸ; with 6 [^] it gives êâîôûÊÂÎÔÛ; with
# [~] _then_ it gives ñÑ; and probably others.)

Thanks again: as wasbit says, a useful and easy-to-read document.

"Do you want to be right, or friends?"
- a friend quoted by Vicky Ayech in UMRA, 2018-12-4

Re: Running legacy drivers

<t316a8$sme$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61590&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61590

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 08:18:31 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 12:18 UTC

"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote

| I know the scanner driver is safe to use, because I've been using it
| for literally decades. But maybe there's some _other_ unsigned
| driver, either on my PC now or inadvertently downloaded in the
| future, that is _not_ safe to use. Maybe Windows Defender or
| Malwarebytes would catch it, but maybe not.

That sounds sort of sensible, but Microsoft's overkill on safety
is what created this situation. I've never run across malware
drivers. And it used to at least be possible to choose for oneself.

MS recently announced that they're finally going to block
unsigned software by default:

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-11/265379/new-windows-11-security-feature-will-require-a-pc-reset

I figured that would be coming. They want to eliminate the
Start Menu and just leave a Windows Store/App menu in
their kiosk OS. So what will people do next year? Will everyone
start telling each other that it's a crazy risk to run unsigned
software? We're locking our own prison doors ourselves.

I don't blame you, though, about test mode. That would
be a pain in the neck to have to put up with having that
on the desktop constantly. Though it may be possible to
stop it. For instance, if it's an image you might be able to
replace it with a clear GIF... if Win10 will let you. :)

Re: Running legacy drivers

<3sh85hdlc3s9tdb9s8683ib00fam5r7uet@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61592&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61592

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 08:25:57 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 15:25 UTC

On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 16:58:43 -0700, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 14:27:28 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:
>>
>> I'm running a Canon LiDE 60 here. I installed it under Windows 10 and
>> it now runs without a problem in 11. I don't remember doing anything
>> special to get it to work.
>>
>> Telling you that doesn't help solve your problem, but it least lets
>> you know that a solution is possible.
>
>Maybe it does help, Ken. I have an LiDE 50, but the only difference
>between the two is that the 50 doesn't do some metric size of paper.
>Is your Lide 60 driver installer somewhere I can grab it?

Sorry, I don't remember where I got it. If you trust me, I'll be glad
to e-mail you what I have.. Tell me whether to send it, and whether
you run 32-bit or 64-bit Windows.

Re: Running legacy drivers

<knp85hped7u2qg50u5q11o5ftffadm8ep1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61594&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61594

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 12:39:22 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 17:39 UTC

On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 08:25:57 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 16:58:43 -0700, Stan Brown
><the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 14:27:28 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm running a Canon LiDE 60 here. I installed it under Windows 10 and
>>> it now runs without a problem in 11. I don't remember doing anything
>>> special to get it to work.
>>>
>>> Telling you that doesn't help solve your problem, but it least lets
>>> you know that a solution is possible.
>>
>>Maybe it does help, Ken. I have an LiDE 50, but the only difference
>>between the two is that the 50 doesn't do some metric size of paper.
>>Is your Lide 60 driver installer somewhere I can grab it?
>

>Sorry, I don't remember where I got it. If you trust me, I'll be glad
>to e-mail you what I have.. Tell me whether to send it, and whether
>you run 32-bit or 64-bit Windows.

In the old days, people would just upload stuff like that to
alt.binaries.test, for example, and then provide the Message-ID here so
that anyone who wants it can get it anonymously. In recent times, file
sharing sites have taken over that role. It's pretty old school to have
someone sending something directly to another person. The old ways still
work, though. :-)

Re: OT: Re: Running legacy drivers

<MPG.3cbe11081589406498ff07@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61595&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61595

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 11:19:27 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 18:19 UTC

On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 12:53:24 +0100, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> Ditto; I am still a 7 user, but support the odd 10-user (and some who
> are not odd!).

There's still a Windows 7 tips page, John:

<https://brownmath.com/general/7tip.htm>

And a specialized one on curbing unneeded services in Windows 7:

<https://brownmath.com/general/7service.htm>

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Running legacy drivers

<t31rsa$mb4$1@apd.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61596&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61596

From: not...@all.invalid (Apd)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 19:26:02 +0100
 by: Apd - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 18:26 UTC

"Mayayana" wrote:
> "Stan Brown" wrote
>| I know the scanner driver is safe to use, because I've been using it
>| for literally decades. But maybe there's some _other_ unsigned
>| driver, either on my PC now or inadvertently downloaded in the
>| future, that is _not_ safe to use. Maybe Windows Defender or
>| Malwarebytes would catch it, but maybe not.
>
> That sounds sort of sensible, but Microsoft's overkill on safety
> is what created this situation. I've never run across malware
> drivers.

I have. There used to be easy and legitimate (not obvious) ways, as
well as through exploits, to load any kernel driver from user space,
but not so much these days.

> MS recently announced that they're finally going to block
> unsigned software by default:

Remember Stuxnet? That used drivers signed with stolen certificates.
However, state-sponsored malware targeted at industrial systems
probably need not concern most users.

> Will everyone start telling each other that it's a crazy risk to run
> unsigned software?

Of course they will. Anyone technically competent, who wants to use
their computer as a computer and not an appliance should always have
a way to bypass these security restrictions.