From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Subject: Re: Tutorial: How to update a driver that Windows just doesn't want to update
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 22:21:06 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 21:21 UTC

Arlen Holder wrote:

> Tutorial: How to update a driver that Windows just doesn't want to update
> (As always, please improve so everyone benefits from everything you do.)
>
> This tutorial is based on gory details learned in this thread:
> What's the one free Windows 10 driver update tool you prefer most & why?
> <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.microsoft.windows/-yDz26GC6zA>
>
> These screenshots summarize the success achieved after trial & error:
> <https://i.postimg.cc/2862Ztvf/driver01.jpg>
> <https://i.postimg.cc/rF06Wb14/driver02.jpg>
> <https://i.postimg.cc/JzCxz8v0/driver03.jpg>
> <https://i.postimg.cc/N0gxR4gw/driver04.jpg>
> <https://i.postimg.cc/s2w4mhXG/driver05.jpg>
>
> Here is the process I attempted, including failed but noble attempts:
> 1. Update all drivers that Microsoft feels like updating automatically:
> Win+I > Update & Security > Windows Update > [Check for updates
> 2. Try to update drivers that Microsoft feels like updating manually:
> Win+R > devmgmt.msc > System devices > LPC Interface Controller
> Driver > [Update Driver] > Search automatically for drivers
> 3. Test all drivers for 24 hours to see if any have issues:
> Win+R > verifier
> 4. Search for new drivers using driver identifier freeware, e.g., Dumo:
> <http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?dumo>
> <https://www.kcsoftwares.com/files/dumo.zip>
> "Detects required drivers according to your version of Microsoft Windows"
> Name: DUMo.exe
> Size: 2237376 bytes (2184 KiB)
> SHA256: 902798AD309B778382896775F798899448538E3B13096C7F01B4D0D072A5BC41
> 5. Dumo identified an available LPC Interface Controller driver:
> Current driver: 1.0.50.13
> Available driver: 1.0.64.8
> <https://i.postimg.cc/2862Ztvf/driver01.jpg>
> 6. Obtain that available driver file from the manufacturer or from MS:
> <https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=compal+>
> Compal Electronics, INC., System, 7/9/2015 12:00:00 AM - 1.0.64.8
> Windows 10 and later drivers,Windows 10 and Later Servicing Drivers
> for testing Drivers (Other Hardware) 7/8/2015 1.0.64.8 137 KB
> Name: 4b427ef6-2932-46b3-8ee9-058a19b012e5_87cc805498b6288f11615839f6aaf1f7bcf09147.cab
> Size: 140892 bytes (137 KiB)
> SHA256: AF844719CDDB0D139FDA8BD0FF9E33E6B4F925EE2E1F0A5DB5107480030D2247
> <http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/driver/drvs/2017/03/4b427ef6-2932-46b3-8ee9-058a19b012e5_87cc805498b6288f11615839f6aaf1f7bcf09147.cab>
> (Note: Hereinafter I will call this file "1.cab" for simplicity.
> 7. Attempt to install that MS Catalog driver using the Device Manager:
> Win+R > devmgmt.msc > RMB on "LPC Interface Controller" > Properties
> Driver Date: 7/16/2012
> Driver Version: 1.0.50.13
> Press on [Update Driver]
> Browse my computer for drivers > c:\tmp\cab
> [x]Include subfolders
> [Next]
> But DeviceManager said "The best driver is already installed".
> [...]

This is an update expressly for the permanent Usenet record.

Today in the unarchived Windows 10 newsgroup was a discussion
about legacy drivers by Stan Brown who was using a Canon with
Irfanview TWAIN scanning.
From: Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Running legacy drivers
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 21:49:48 -0700

Since that newsgroup isn't archived properly except at these crappy engines:
<http://tinyurl.com/alt-comp-os-windows-10>
<https://alt.comp.os.windows-10.narkive.com/>
I add Stan's pointer to the permanent Usenet record so _others_ can find it.
<https://brownmath.com/general/10tip.htm#LegacyDrivers>

Bear in mind that the cut-and-paste below may change over time,
so if you find this in a search in the future, please first refer
to Stan's URL above and not to the cut-and-paste below for reference.

Install and Use Legacy Drivers
I have a Canoscan LIDE 50 flatbed scanner, which I bought on clearance in January 2005. (Judging from a Google search, a lot of other people have the same model.) Canon abandoned support of it some years ago, but they made a good product, and it's been working just fine with Irfanview on my Windows 7 laptop. But naturally I want to use it with my Windows 10 desktop PC. Here's what I discovered along the way to accomplishing that. (This should apply to any driver of legacy hardware, not just to a scanner.)

When I tried running the driver installer, there was no error message but also nothing happened. It turns out that you don't install drivers, you just tell Windows 10 where to find them and it does the install. Follow these steps:

Right-click the Start Menu button and select Device Manager.
Locate your device in Device Manager, right-click it, and select Update Driver. (If you don't see your device, click View � Show hidden devices.)
On the next screen, select Browse my computer for drivers.
On the next screen, click Browse and navigate to the folder that contains your driver. Then click Next.
You may get the error message "The hash for the file is not present in the specified catalog file. The file is likely corrupt or the victim of tampering." If you do, the actual issue is that your driver isn't digitally signed, and Windows versions starting with Windows 8 don't want to install unsigned drivers. To get around this and install the driver, you will need to reboot Windows 10 in a special mode:

Make sure to save any documents you are editing, and close the applications.
Open Settings, and select Recovery.
Under Advanced startup, click Restart now. This reboots your PC and brings up a special screen.
Select Troubleshoot � Advanced options � Startup settings.
Select Restart. Be ready: when a list of options appears after the reboot, you have only a second or two to press 7 Disable driver signature enforcement.
Sign in as usual. You should now be able to install your driver by following steps 1-4 above.
After a successful install, you may wish to reboot your PC, which will automatically return to the default mode of not allowing unsigned drivers to be installed.

But after a reboot, I found that Windows would not allow my driver to run. There was no error message from Windows; Irfanview just couldn't connect to the driver. My temporary solution is to open an administrative command prompt and execute this command:

bcdedit -set testsigning on

and reboot. Windows shows a "Test Mode" warning, but the scanner works fine.

After I've scanned my documents, I get out of test mode by executing this command in an administrative command prompt:

bcdedit -set testsigning off

and then rebooting.