< jaybonci> actually d-i stands for "divine intervention" ;) -- in #debian-devel

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: 20.3 to 21.1 reload went perfect

SubjectAuthor
* 20.3 to 21.1 reload went perfectBig Al
`* Re: 20.3 to 21.1 reload went perfectNic
 +* Re: 20.3 to 21.1 reload went perfectPaul
 |+- Re: 20.3 to 21.1 reload went perfectBig Al
 |`- Re: 20.3 to 21.1 reload went perfectEdmund
 `- Re: 20.3 to 21.1 reload went perfectBig Al

1
20.3 to 21.1 reload went perfect

<u3iqgj$13umn$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6124&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6124

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: 20.3 to 21.1 reload went perfect
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 09:27:46 -0400
 by: Big Al - Thu, 11 May 2023 13:27 UTC

I did a good number of backups of my data, 3-4 scripts that did a few different ways, some overlapping data.
Clean load of 21.1, then added all the software I could think of, Wine, VirtualBox, etc. I've been one week now using
it, and have found maybe 1/2 dozen items I forgot (data) and loaded them.

The amazing part is the amount of disk space used in 20.3 was about 29.2 G and the amount in 21.1 is 29.3 G.
It would seem that I probably got everything installed.

No question here, just a note about my experience. Maybe might help someone decide to upgrade.

It did prove my 3-4 scripts were quite overlapping and I've cut it down to two. The built in Backup Tool in Linux and a
tar of several things in the system files, grub, fstab, hosts etc., things Backup Tool will not do.

I'm still ticked off about the loss of border around windows in 21. It's really a bummer trying to find the edges when
you have 4 or 5 windows on the screen.
--
Al

Re: 20.3 to 21.1 reload went perfect

<20230516170308.7fb3d21c345bf97b0e2933ea@none.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6168&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6168

From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: 20.3 to 21.1 reload went perfect
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 17:03:08 -0400
 by: Nic - Tue, 16 May 2023 21:03 UTC

On Thu, 11 May 2023 09:27:46 -0400
Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:

>I did a good number of backups of my data, 3-4 scripts that did a few different ways, some overlapping data.
>Clean load of 21.1, then added all the software I could think of, Wine, VirtualBox, etc. I've been one week now using
>it, and have found maybe 1/2 dozen items I forgot (data) and loaded them.
>
>The amazing part is the amount of disk space used in 20.3 was about 29.2 G and the amount in 21.1 is 29.3 G.
>It would seem that I probably got everything installed.
>
>No question here, just a note about my experience. Maybe might help someone decide to upgrade.
>
>It did prove my 3-4 scripts were quite overlapping and I've cut it down to two. The built in Backup Tool in Linux and a
>tar of several things in the system files, grub, fstab, hosts etc., things Backup Tool will not do.
>
>I'm still ticked off about the loss of border around windows in 21. It's really a bummer trying to find the edges when
>you have 4 or 5 windows on the screen.
>--
> Al

You poor thing. Now if we could figure out what value your post has to the new person trying to learn their way around Linux Mint. Maybe with a touch of humility you might do some good.

--
Nic <Nic@none.net>

Re: 20.3 to 21.1 reload went perfect

<u411f7$3k5f3$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6169&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6169

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 18:52:22 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 16 May 2023 22:52 UTC

On 5/16/2023 5:03 PM, Nic wrote:
> On Thu, 11 May 2023 09:27:46 -0400
> Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> I did a good number of backups of my data, 3-4 scripts that did a few different ways, some overlapping data.
>> Clean load of 21.1, then added all the software I could think of, Wine, VirtualBox, etc. I've been one week now using
>> it, and have found maybe 1/2 dozen items I forgot (data) and loaded them.
>>
>> The amazing part is the amount of disk space used in 20.3 was about 29.2 G and the amount in 21.1 is 29.3 G.
>> It would seem that I probably got everything installed.
>>
>> No question here, just a note about my experience. Maybe might help someone decide to upgrade.
>>
>> It did prove my 3-4 scripts were quite overlapping and I've cut it down to two. The built in Backup Tool in Linux and a
>> tar of several things in the system files, grub, fstab, hosts etc., things Backup Tool will not do.
>>
>> I'm still ticked off about the loss of border around windows in 21. It's really a bummer trying to find the edges when
>> you have 4 or 5 windows on the screen.
>> --
>> Al
>
> You poor thing. Now if we could figure out what value your post has to the new person trying to learn their way around Linux Mint. Maybe with a touch of humility you might do some good.
>
> --
> Nic <Nic@none.net>

I tried one of these yesterday, and as long as you
can find the manager for it, it's not a bad process.
I say this, compared to some other upgrades I've done,
where on a reboot the thing was trashed.

I just backed up the entire boot drive, in one shot, for safety.
It's my feeling, you should always be prepared for a "worst case"
(total destruction), and that's why the whole drive got a backup.

Then I read the instructions.

"How to upgrade to Linux Mint 21.1"

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4461

The thing is, the process is *tested* against the naive user case.
If you really are that naive user, then this should be as smooth as butter.
A naive user stays in tree. A naive user does not "mess around".
(This is part of the "grandma strawman".)

Now, if you're a fiddler, and have installed drivers for your
printer out-of-tree, what can I say ? :-)

If you are upgrading from an old enough version, it might
take two Upgrade procedures to "become current". Upgrade procedures
don't generally make giant leaps on version, because this behavior
has a heavy test load (regressions) associated with it, and you
would need a very large team to ensure it worked for every user.

The "manager" software, will tell you which release of OS is
within its grasp. You, the user, have to examine the known
release numbers and see if this process is heading in a useful
direction. (I use LTS versions, and jump to the next LTS, as
a typical example.)

Paul

Re: 20.3 to 21.1 reload went perfect

<u417hc$3km5j$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6170&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6170

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 20:35:55 -0400
 by: Big Al - Wed, 17 May 2023 00:35 UTC

On 5/16/23 17:03, this is what Nic wrote:
> On Thu, 11 May 2023 09:27:46 -0400
> Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> I did a good number of backups of my data, 3-4 scripts that did a few different ways, some overlapping data.
>> Clean load of 21.1, then added all the software I could think of, Wine, VirtualBox, etc. I've been one week now using
>> it, and have found maybe 1/2 dozen items I forgot (data) and loaded them.
>>
>> The amazing part is the amount of disk space used in 20.3 was about 29.2 G and the amount in 21.1 is 29.3 G.
>> It would seem that I probably got everything installed.
>>
>> No question here, just a note about my experience. Maybe might help someone decide to upgrade.
>>
>> It did prove my 3-4 scripts were quite overlapping and I've cut it down to two. The built in Backup Tool in Linux and a
>> tar of several things in the system files, grub, fstab, hosts etc., things Backup Tool will not do.
>>
>> I'm still ticked off about the loss of border around windows in 21. It's really a bummer trying to find the edges when
>> you have 4 or 5 windows on the screen.
>> --
>> Al
>
> You poor thing. Now if we could figure out what value your post has to the new person trying to learn their way around Linux Mint. Maybe with a touch of humility you might do some good.
>
> --
> Nic <Nic@none.net>
I am presenting this as encouragement to those on the fence to do an upgrade/install.
And as a side note, I did a fresh load not an upgrade.

If you don't like it, then just leave it.
--
Al

Re: 20.3 to 21.1 reload went perfect

<u417mo$3km5j$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6171&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6171

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 20:38:47 -0400
 by: Big Al - Wed, 17 May 2023 00:38 UTC

On 5/16/23 18:52, this is what Paul wrote:
> On 5/16/2023 5:03 PM, Nic wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 May 2023 09:27:46 -0400
>> Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I did a good number of backups of my data, 3-4 scripts that did a few different ways, some overlapping data.
>>> Clean load of 21.1, then added all the software I could think of, Wine, VirtualBox, etc.  I've been one week now using
>>> it, and have found maybe 1/2 dozen items I forgot (data) and loaded them.
>>>
>>> The amazing part is the amount of disk space used in 20.3 was about 29.2 G and the amount in 21.1 is 29.3 G.
>>> It would seem that I probably got everything installed.
>>>
>>> No question here, just a note about my experience.  Maybe might help someone decide to upgrade.
>>>
>>> It did prove my 3-4 scripts were quite overlapping and I've cut it down to two.  The built in Backup Tool in Linux and a
>>> tar of several things in the system files, grub, fstab, hosts etc., things Backup Tool will not do.
>>>
>>> I'm still ticked off about the loss of border around windows in 21.  It's really a bummer trying to find the edges when
>>> you have 4 or 5 windows on the screen.
>>> --
>>>      Al
>>
>> You poor thing. Now if we could figure out what value your post has to the new person trying to learn their way around
>> Linux Mint. Maybe with a touch of humility you might do some good.
>>
>> --
>> Nic <Nic@none.net>
>>
> I tried one of these yesterday, and as long as you
> can find the manager for it, it's not a bad process.
> I say this, compared to some other upgrades I've done,
> where on a reboot the thing was trashed.
>
> I just backed up the entire boot drive, in one shot, for safety.
> It's my feeling, you should always be prepared for a "worst case"
> (total destruction), and that's why the whole drive got a backup.
>
> Then I read the instructions.
>
>   "How to upgrade to Linux Mint 21.1"
>
>    https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4461
>
> The thing is, the process is *tested* against the naive user case.
> If you really are that naive user, then this should be as smooth as butter.
> A naive user stays in tree. A naive user does not "mess around".
> (This is part of the "grandma strawman".)
>
> Now, if you're a fiddler, and have installed drivers for your
> printer out-of-tree, what can I say ? :-)
>
> If you are upgrading from an old enough version, it might
> take two Upgrade procedures to "become current". Upgrade procedures
> don't generally make giant leaps on version, because this behavior
> has a heavy test load (regressions) associated with it, and you
> would need a very large team to ensure it worked for every user.
>
> The "manager" software, will tell you which release of OS is
> within its grasp. You, the user, have to examine the known
> release numbers and see if this process is heading in a useful
> direction. (I use LTS versions, and jump to the next LTS, as
> a typical example.)
>
>    Paul
I didn't want to do an upgrade. New load seemed the best route for me.
I probably should not have posted this original post, it's caused more waves than I thought it would.
--
Al

Re: 20.3 to 21.1 reload went perfect

<u42odu$3t7ol$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6175&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6175

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 16:30:21 +0200
 by: Edmund - Wed, 17 May 2023 14:30 UTC

On 5/17/23 00:52, Paul wrote:
> On 5/16/2023 5:03 PM, Nic wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 May 2023 09:27:46 -0400
>> Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I did a good number of backups of my data, 3-4 scripts that did a few
>>> different ways, some overlapping data.
>>> Clean load of 21.1, then added all the software I could think of,
>>> Wine, VirtualBox, etc.  I've been one week now using
>>> it, and have found maybe 1/2 dozen items I forgot (data) and loaded
>>> them.
>>>
>>> The amazing part is the amount of disk space used in 20.3 was about
>>> 29.2 G and the amount in 21.1 is 29.3 G.
>>> It would seem that I probably got everything installed.
>>>
>>> No question here, just a note about my experience.  Maybe might help
>>> someone decide to upgrade.
>>>
>>> It did prove my 3-4 scripts were quite overlapping and I've cut it
>>> down to two.  The built in Backup Tool in Linux and a
>>> tar of several things in the system files, grub, fstab, hosts etc.,
>>> things Backup Tool will not do.
>>>
>>> I'm still ticked off about the loss of border around windows in 21.
>>> It's really a bummer trying to find the edges when
>>> you have 4 or 5 windows on the screen.
>>> --
>>>      Al
>>
>> You poor thing. Now if we could figure out what value your post has to
>> the new person trying to learn their way around Linux Mint. Maybe with
>> a touch of humility you might do some good.
>>
>> --
>> Nic <Nic@none.net>
>>
> I tried one of these yesterday, and as long as you
> can find the manager for it, it's not a bad process.
> I say this, compared to some other upgrades I've done,
> where on a reboot the thing was trashed.
>
> I just backed up the entire boot drive, in one shot, for safety.
> It's my feeling, you should always be prepared for a "worst case"
> (total destruction), and that's why the whole drive got a backup.
>
> Then I read the instructions.
>
>   "How to upgrade to Linux Mint 21.1"
>
>    https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4461
>
> The thing is, the process is *tested* against the naive user case.
> If you really are that naive user, then this should be as smooth as butter.
> A naive user stays in tree. A naive user does not "mess around".
> (This is part of the "grandma strawman".)
>
> Now, if you're a fiddler, and have installed drivers for your
> printer out-of-tree, what can I say ? :-)
>
> If you are upgrading from an old enough version, it might
> take two Upgrade procedures to "become current". Upgrade procedures
> don't generally make giant leaps on version, because this behavior
> has a heavy test load (regressions) associated with it, and you
> would need a very large team to ensure it worked for every user.
>
> The "manager" software, will tell you which release of OS is
> within its grasp. You, the user, have to examine the known
> release numbers and see if this process is heading in a useful
> direction. (I use LTS versions, and jump to the next LTS, as
> a typical example.)
>
>    Paul

About backups, I am playing with Proxmox in my sparse spare time.
I had - and destroyed it again :-) - Linux and Mint running, hardware
passed trough. Entire backup or restore in 2 minutes, for fun I try
hackintosh again. I am really going to use it for my main system once I
know it a little better.