To be is to program.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1

SubjectAuthor
* Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1micky
+* Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1NY
|`* Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1NY
| `* Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1Rene Lamontagne
|  `* Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1micky
|   +- Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1Rene Lamontagne
|   +* Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1micky
|   |`* Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1Carlos E.R.
|   | `* Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1micky
|   |  +* Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1Andy Burns
|   |  |+- Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1Carlos E.R.
|   |  |+- Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1micky
|   |  |`* Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1micky
|   |  | +* Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1Paul
|   |  | |+* Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1micky
|   |  | ||`* Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1Paul
|   |  | || `- Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1micky
|   |  | |`- Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1Carlos E.R.
|   |  | +- Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1Carlos E.R.
|   |  | `* Follow-up: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1micky
|   |  |  +* Re: Follow-up: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1J. P. Gilliver (John)
|   |  |  |`* Re: Follow-up: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1Paul
|   |  |  | `* Re: Follow-up: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1J. P. Gilliver (John)
|   |  |  |  +- Re: Follow-up: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1Andy Burns
|   |  |  |  `* Re: Follow-up: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1micky
|   |  |  |   `- Re: Follow-up: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1Andy Burns
|   |  |  `* Re: Follow-up: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1NY
|   |  |   `- Re: Follow-up: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1J. P. Gilliver (John)
|   |  `* Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1NY
|   |   +- Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1Carlos E.R.
|   |   +- Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1micky
|   |   `* Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1Paul
|   |    `* Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1Carlos E.R.
|   |     `* Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1J. P. Gilliver (John)
|   |      `* Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1Carlos E. R.
|   |       `* Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1Paul
|   |        `- Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1Carlos E.R.
|   `* Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1knuttle
|    `- Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1micky
+* Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1Ken Blake
|`* Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1micky
| `- Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1Frank Slootweg
`- Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1R.Wieser

Pages:12
Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1

<n1lt5h1s83ogm80rsetgug8oaui8s2ogjm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61746&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61746

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 19:02:36 +0300
 by: micky - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 16:02 UTC

Is it still possible to print something without installing any of the
printer's software. I only have one or two pages to print, and I'm
leaving here soon. I could probably find the software but I just don't
want to install it.

Can I just go to a cmd box and type copy filename.prn lpt1
or maybe com1 or com2 ?

Well, I tried all 3 of those and each time I got "invalid drive
specification". :-(

The printer is plugged into the laptop with a USB cable, the same cable
that the guy who normally lives in this room uses. And when I plugged
it in, I got a message from windows that a USB Composite Device was
added.

This is a Samsung SCX-4x28 Series, laser b&w, a few years old.

Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1

<t3mnsa$pmt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61747&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61747

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 17:26:37 +0100
 by: NY - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 16:26 UTC

"micky" <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote in message
> Is it still possible to print something without installing any of the
> printer's software. I only have one or two pages to print, and I'm
> leaving here soon. I could probably find the software but I just don't
> want to install it.
>
> Can I just go to a cmd box and type copy filename.prn lpt1
> or maybe com1 or com2 ?
>
> Well, I tried all 3 of those and each time I got "invalid drive
> specification". :-(
>
> The printer is plugged into the laptop with a USB cable, the same cable
> that the guy who normally lives in this room uses. And when I plugged
> it in, I got a message from windows that a USB Composite Device was
> added.
>
> This is a Samsung SCX-4x28 Series, laser b&w, a few years old.

Leaving aside how you communicate with a printer that is connected by USB
(there probably isn't a USB1 device in DOS like there was an LPT1 device)
there is also the problem that some modern printers may not actually know
what to do if they are sent plain text, and may be expecting bitmapped
graphics to be generated by a "plain text to BMP" converter in the printer's
driver.

Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1

<t3mo8v$t2p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61748&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61748

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 17:33:19 +0100
 by: NY - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 16:33 UTC

"NY" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote in message
> "micky" <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote in message
>> Is it still possible to print something without installing any of the
>> printer's software. I only have one or two pages to print, and I'm
>> leaving here soon. I could probably find the software but I just don't
>> want to install it.
>>
>> Can I just go to a cmd box and type copy filename.prn lpt1
>> or maybe com1 or com2 ?
>>
>> Well, I tried all 3 of those and each time I got "invalid drive
>> specification". :-(
>>
>> The printer is plugged into the laptop with a USB cable, the same cable
>> that the guy who normally lives in this room uses. And when I plugged
>> it in, I got a message from windows that a USB Composite Device was
>> added.
>>
>> This is a Samsung SCX-4x28 Series, laser b&w, a few years old.
>
> Leaving aside how you communicate with a printer that is connected by USB
> (there probably isn't a USB1 device in DOS like there was an LPT1 device)
> there is also the problem that some modern printers may not actually know
> what to do if they are sent plain text, and may be expecting bitmapped
> graphics to be generated by a "plain text to BMP" converter in the
> printer's driver.

Ah, I've just thought of a workaround for the lack of a USB device in DOS.

Share the printer using SMB (Control Panel | Devices and Printers |
Right-click on printer | Printer Properties | Sharing | Tick "Share this
printer" and give it a share name such as "Samsung"). In the following,
let's assume the PC name is "pc-name".

In Command Prompt, run the command

net use lpt1 \\pc-name\samsung

This associates device LPT1 with the printer.

Now you can try "copy filename.prn lpt1" or "dir \users\fred\documents >
lpt1".

Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1

<jc89tqFacsrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61749&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61749

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 12:30:46 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 17:30 UTC

On 2022-04-19 11:33 a.m., NY wrote:
> "NY" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote in message
>> "micky" <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote in message
>>> Is it still possible to print something without installing any of the
>>> printer's software.  I only have one or two pages to print, and I'm
>>> leaving here soon.  I could probably find the software but I just don't
>>> want to install it.
>>>
>>> Can I just go to a cmd box and type  copy filename.prn lpt1
>>>                                              or maybe com1 or com2 ?
>>>
>>> Well, I tried all 3 of those and each time I got  "invalid drive
>>> specification".  :-(
>>>
>>> The printer is plugged into the laptop with a USB cable, the same cable
>>> that the guy who  normally lives in this room uses.   And when I plugged
>>> it in, I got a message from windows that a USB Composite Device was
>>> added.
>>>
>>> This is a Samsung SCX-4x28 Series, laser b&w, a few years old.
>>
>> Leaving aside how you communicate with a printer that is connected by
>> USB (there probably isn't a USB1 device in DOS like there was an LPT1
>> device) there is also the problem that some modern printers may not
>> actually know what to do if they are sent plain text, and may be
>> expecting bitmapped graphics to be generated by a "plain text to BMP"
>> converter in the printer's driver.
>

> Ah, I've just thought of a workaround for the lack of a USB device in DOS.
>
> Share the printer using SMB (Control Panel | Devices and Printers |
> Right-click on printer | Printer Properties | Sharing | Tick "Share this
> printer" and give it a share name such as "Samsung"). In the following,
> let's assume the PC name is "pc-name".
>
> In Command Prompt, run the command
>
> net use lpt1 \\pc-name\samsung
>
> This associates device LPT1 with the printer.
>

> Now you can try "copy filename.prn lpt1" or "dir \users\fred\documents >
> lpt1".

It would be a hell of a lot simpler just to install the software and
print your 2 pages, you would be done and gone by now.

Rene

Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1

<dlst5h9fjblk74lfgjnm0ali6gico2hvnl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61751&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61751

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 20:39:18 +0300
 by: micky - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 17:39 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Tue, 19 Apr 2022 12:30:46 -0500, Rene
Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote:

>On 2022-04-19 11:33 a.m., NY wrote:
>> "NY" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote in message
>>> "micky" <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote in message

>>> Leaving aside how you communicate with a printer that is connected by
>>> USB (there probably isn't a USB1 device in DOS like there was an LPT1
>>> device) there is also the problem that some modern printers may not
>>> actually know what to do if they are sent plain text, and may be
>>> expecting bitmapped graphics to be generated by a "plain text to BMP"
>>> converter in the printer's driver.
>>

>> Ah, I've just thought of a workaround for the lack of a USB device in DOS.
>>
>> Share the printer using SMB (Control Panel | Devices and Printers |
>> Right-click on printer | Printer Properties | Sharing | Tick "Share this
>> printer" and give it a share name such as "Samsung"). In the following,
>> let's assume the PC name is "pc-name".
>>
>> In Command Prompt, run the command
>>
>> net use lpt1 \\pc-name\samsung
>>
>> This associates device LPT1 with the printer.
>>

>> Now you can try "copy filename.prn lpt1" or "dir \users\fred\documents >
>> lpt1".

Aha, that worked. Thanks.

with

PRINT /D:LPT1 c:\data\text\filename.txt

The right border was a little strange, cut off half of the right most
letter before it wrapped to the next line, but it's legible. I may set
a narrower margine and reprint it, but this is 99.5% what I wanted. .

>It would be a hell of a lot simpler just to install the software and
>print your 2 pages, you would be done and gone by now.

Getting things done simply and quickly is very low down on my list.
High on the list was printing without installing new software.

>Rene

Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1

<jc8b4bFak0hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61753&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61753

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 12:51:20 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 17:51 UTC

On 2022-04-19 12:39 p.m., micky wrote:
> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Tue, 19 Apr 2022 12:30:46 -0500, Rene
> Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> On 2022-04-19 11:33 a.m., NY wrote:
>>> "NY" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote in message

>>> Ah, I've just thought of a workaround for the lack of a USB device in DOS.
>>>
>>> Share the printer using SMB (Control Panel | Devices and Printers |
>>> Right-click on printer | Printer Properties | Sharing | Tick "Share this
>>> printer" and give it a share name such as "Samsung"). In the following,
>>> let's assume the PC name is "pc-name".
>>>
>>> In Command Prompt, run the command
>>>
>>> net use lpt1 \\pc-name\samsung
>>>
>>> This associates device LPT1 with the printer.
>>>

>>> Now you can try "copy filename.prn lpt1" or "dir \users\fred\documents >
>>> lpt1".
>
> Aha, that worked. Thanks.
>
> with
>
> PRINT /D:LPT1 c:\data\text\filename.txt
>
> The right border was a little strange, cut off half of the right most
> letter before it wrapped to the next line, but it's legible. I may set
> a narrower margine and reprint it, but this is 99.5% what I wanted. .
>>
>> It would be a hell of a lot simpler just to install the software and
>> print your 2 pages, you would be done and gone by now.
>
> Getting things done simply and quickly is very low down on my list.
> High on the list was printing without installing new software.
>
>> Rene

You just like doing things the hard way I guess.

Rene

Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1

<h00u5h9s467ej8iuobg3otu5lpqltiqm9g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61756&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61756

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 21:37:12 +0300
 by: micky - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 18:37 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Tue, 19 Apr 2022 20:39:18 +0300, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>>It would be a hell of a lot simpler just to install the software and
>>print your 2 pages, you would be done and gone by now.
>
>Getting things done simply and quickly is very low down on my list.
>High on the list was printing without installing new software.
>
>>Rene

To elaborate, I'm invited to stay in the mountains if I want to get away
from it all. She won't be there and her computer won't be there, but
her printer will be. The technique learned in this thread will likely
work that printer too and any other printer I encounter while traveling
in the next several years.

Plus it has clues to start understanding the Net command and other
??USB/network/whatever functions, which I might need and I'd like to
learn some day.

Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1

<0n0u5hp42nl27hmp614srrn635la0urate@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61757&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61757

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 11:45:55 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 18:45 UTC

On Tue, 19 Apr 2022 19:02:36 +0300, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>Is it still possible to print something without installing any of the
>printer's software. I only have one or two pages to print, and I'm
>leaving here soon. I could probably find the software but I just don't
>want to install it.
>
>Can I just go to a cmd box and type copy filename.prn lpt1
> or maybe com1 or com2 ?

lpt1, com1, and com2 are specific kinds of ports; they are all
obsolete these days. Since you say the printer is connected to a USB
port, not one of those, those statements can not work.

>Well, I tried all 3 of those and each time I got "invalid drive
>specification". :-(
>
>The printer is plugged into the laptop with a USB cable, the same cable
>that the guy who normally lives in this room uses. And when I plugged
>it in, I got a message from windows that a USB Composite Device was
>added.
>
>This is a Samsung SCX-4x28 Series, laser b&w, a few years old.

Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1

<t3n161$1hh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61758&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61758

From: keith_nu...@sbcglobal.net (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 15:05:36 -0400
 by: knuttle - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 19:05 UTC

On 4/19/2022 1:39 PM, micky wrote:
> Getting things done simply and quickly is very low down on my list.
> High on the list was printing without installing new software.So you are retired also! ;-)

Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1

<def3ji-tok.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61759&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61759

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 21:34:05 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 19:34 UTC

On 2022-04-19 20:37, micky wrote:
> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Tue, 19 Apr 2022 20:39:18 +0300, micky
> <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>

>>> It would be a hell of a lot simpler just to install the software and
>>> print your 2 pages, you would be done and gone by now.
>>
>> Getting things done simply and quickly is very low down on my list.
>> High on the list was printing without installing new software.
>>
>>> Rene
>
> To elaborate, I'm invited to stay in the mountains if I want to get away
> from it all. She won't be there and her computer won't be there, but
> her printer will be. The technique learned in this thread will likely
> work that printer too and any other printer I encounter while traveling
> in the next several years.
>
> Plus it has clues to start understanding the Net command and other
> ??USB/network/whatever functions, which I might need and I'd like to
> learn some day.

Hum.

Copying a file to the print device (LPT1), also known as "raw printing"
should be supported by most printers, but who knows. However, forget
adjusting margins or anything, the file is sent as is to the printer,
can not be modified at all (that's the point of raw printing).

That formatting must be done by the software and computer that generated
that raw file.

And if the file is not plain text, there is no guarantee that it will
work on a different printer.

Just google "raw printing in windows".

For example:

<https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows/win32/win32-raw-data-to-printer>

There is a code example, and you can download it:

<https://download.microsoft.com/download/platformsdk/utility/95/win98/en-us/rawprn.exe>

Other links show how to create the device node instead.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1

<56n06htnuonqvuogqa6ihrikrvdivc4cs0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61800&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61800

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 22:20:28 +0300
 by: micky - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 19:20 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Tue, 19 Apr 2022 11:45:55 -0700, Ken Blake
<Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Apr 2022 19:02:36 +0300, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Is it still possible to print something without installing any of the
>>printer's software. I only have one or two pages to print, and I'm
>>leaving here soon. I could probably find the software but I just don't
>>want to install it.
>>
>>Can I just go to a cmd box and type copy filename.prn lpt1
>> or maybe com1 or com2 ?
>
>lpt1, com1, and com2 are specific kinds of ports; they are all
>obsolete these days. Since you say the printer is connected to a USB
>port, not one of those, those statements can not work.

Good to know.

I long for the 1950's when you could snuggle up with lpt1 and everythign
was right with the world.

>>Well, I tried all 3 of those and each time I got "invalid drive
>>specification". :-(
>>
>>The printer is plugged into the laptop with a USB cable, the same cable
>>that the guy who normally lives in this room uses. And when I plugged
>>it in, I got a message from windows that a USB Composite Device was
>>added.
>>
>>This is a Samsung SCX-4x28 Series, laser b&w, a few years old.

Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1

<68n06hdq99kr8vbm92fgaj5vio9l2rjhp2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61801&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61801

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 22:21:13 +0300
 by: micky - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 19:21 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Tue, 19 Apr 2022 15:05:36 -0400, knuttle
<keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 4/19/2022 1:39 PM, micky wrote:
>> Getting things done simply and quickly is very low down on my list.
>> High on the list was printing without installing new software.

So you are retired also! ;-)

yes indeed, although I was probably like this before and that's why so
many things are not finished.

Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1

<bdn06h5s4gp9g6ahtfrqpj51kdjmnv96fc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61802&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61802

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 22:30:46 +0300
 by: micky - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 19:30 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Tue, 19 Apr 2022 21:34:05 +0200, "Carlos
E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>On 2022-04-19 20:37, micky wrote:

>>> Getting things done simply and quickly is very low down on my list.
>>> High on the list was printing without installing new software.

>> To elaborate, I'm invited to stay in the mountains if I want to get away
>> from it all. She won't be there and her computer won't be there, but
>> her printer will be. The technique learned in this thread will likely
>> work that printer too and any other printer I encounter while traveling
>> in the next several years.
>>
>> Plus it has clues to start understanding the Net command and other
>> ??USB/network/whatever functions, which I might need and I'd like to
>> learn some day.
>
>Hum.
>
>Copying a file to the print device (LPT1), also known as "raw printing"
>should be supported by most printers, but who knows. However, forget
>adjusting margins or anything, the file is sent as is to the printer,
>can not be modified at all (that's the point of raw printing).
>
>That formatting must be done by the software and computer that generated
>that raw file.
>
>And if the file is not plain text, there is no guarantee that it will
>work on a different printer.
>
>Just google "raw printing in windows".
>
>For example:
>
><https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows/win32/win32-raw-data-to-printer>
>
>There is a code example, and you can download it:
>
><https://download.microsoft.com/download/platformsdk/utility/95/win98/en-us/rawprn.exe>
>

>Other links show how to create the device node instead.

Thanks. I'll see where this leaves. The current printout is good
enough to get the job done, but better would be better.

BTW, the printer has a USB Direct port, that, if you put a flashdrive
with a .prn file in it, it's supposed to print, but it didn't do a thing
when I pressed the button. I'm sure the guy who owns this printer never
needs to use it!

Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1

<jcb5ujFrctlU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61803&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61803

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 20:41:07 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 19:41 UTC

micky wrote:

> the printer has a USB Direct port, that, if you put a flashdrive
> with a .prn file in it, it's supposed to print, but it didn't do a thing
> when I pressed the button.

Can it do the same trick with .PDF files? Would give you better formatting.

Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1

<t3poc9$cjo$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61804&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61804

From: addr...@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 21:53:35 +0200
 by: R.Wieser - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 19:53 UTC

micky,

> Can I just go to a cmd box and type copy filename.prn lpt1
> or maybe com1 or com2 ?
>
> Well, I tried all 3 of those and each time I got "invalid
> drive specification". :-(

You might also want to try "prn"

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1

<t3rosj.990.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61822&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61822

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 21 Apr 2022 12:24:43 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 12:24 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
[...]

> I long for the 1950's when you could snuggle up with lpt1 and everythign
> was right with the world.

Make that 1980's. IBM PC (model 5150) with (PC) DOS came out in 1981.

[...]

Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1

<t3s9vd$ktt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61832&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61832

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 20:05:26 +0100
 by: NY - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 19:05 UTC

> BTW, the printer has a USB Direct port, that, if you put a flashdrive
> with a .prn file in it, it's supposed to print, but it didn't do a thing
> when I pressed the button. I'm sure the guy who owns this printer never
> needs to use it!

What are assumed to be the contents of the .prn file? Plain ASCII, or
formatted data (printer-specific control codes, as generated by a Windows
printer driver - or even an app-specific driver, as Word Perfect for DOS
had).

What filesystem did you have on the flash drive? I wonder if it was NTFS?
Many third party devices (printers, cameras, TVs, PVRs) that read/write data
to a removable drive insist on it being FAT: most support FAT32 and some
even support exFAT with its > 4GB file size limit. But NTFS is proprietary
to Windows, and 3rd-party equipment must pay a licence (*) fee, so most
don't bother. I've always wondered how Linux manages to provide free NFTS
support - maybe reverse-engineering without looking at the MS spec?

Try reformatting the flash drive as FAT32 and repeating the test with the
..prn file.

(*) The correct spelling here in the UK for the noun, whereas license (in
the UK) is only used for the verb.

Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1

<57o8ji-qd3.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61836&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61836

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 21:34:29 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 19:34 UTC

On 2022-04-20 21:41, Andy Burns wrote:
> micky wrote:
>
>> the printer has a USB Direct port, that, if you put a flashdrive
>> with a .prn file in it, it's supposed to print, but it didn't do a thing
>> when I pressed the button.
>

> Can it do the same trick with .PDF files?  Would give you better
> formatting.

I'm guessing that's a different USB port.

When I have seen the facility, the printer has a small display with a
tiny file manager that can navigate the USB stick, then you can "print"
any PDF file in the stick; maybe also photos. Still, it is not a direct
".prn" file, the PDF has to be processed by the printer and converted to
a bitmap which then is used to drive the laser and the drummer.

A "prn" file would be directly that internal bitmap file, with whatever
codes needed to be sent. No interpreter. It is far easier to think of a
"pin matrix" dumb printer. If you ever played with the codes to print
with them.

I don't know if I managed to explain or messed it more :-D

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1

<9b036hpsp6vir24v9ner2qdfkll0p2669a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61838&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61838

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 01:06:27 +0300
 by: micky - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 22:06 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Wed, 20 Apr 2022 20:41:07 +0100, Andy
Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>
>> the printer has a USB Direct port, that, if you put a flashdrive
>> with a .prn file in it, it's supposed to print, but it didn't do a thing
>> when I pressed the button.
>

>Can it do the same trick with .PDF files? Would give you better formatting.

You know it was in the list but I think I rejected it because I don't
remember how to make a pdf file. Does Openoffice do that? Since it
didn't work at all with .prn**, it's less likely it will work with .pdf,
but maybe it would.

**You were supposed to be able to press the left and right arrows until
you saw USB, and then again until you saw the file you wanted.

"You can directly print files stored on a USB memory device. You can
print TIFF, BMP, JPEG, PDF, and PRN files."

Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1

<8hkaji-33n.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61854&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61854

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 14:43:52 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 12:43 UTC

On 2022-04-21 21:05, NY wrote:
> "micky" <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote in message
>
>> BTW, the printer has a USB Direct port, that, if you put a flashdrive
>> with a .prn file in it, it's supposed to print, but it didn't do a thing
>> when I pressed the button.  I'm sure the guy who owns this printer never
>> needs to use it!
>
> What are assumed to be the contents of the .prn file? Plain ASCII, or
> formatted data (printer-specific control codes, as generated by a
> Windows printer driver - or even an app-specific driver, as Word Perfect
> for DOS had).
>
> What filesystem did you have on the flash drive? I wonder if it was
> NTFS? Many third party devices (printers, cameras, TVs, PVRs) that
> read/write data to a removable drive insist on it being FAT: most
> support FAT32 and some even support exFAT with its > 4GB file size
> limit. But NTFS is proprietary to Windows, and 3rd-party equipment must
> pay a licence (*) fee, so most don't bother. I've always wondered how
> Linux manages to provide free NFTS support - maybe reverse-engineering
> without looking at the MS spec?

Yes, reverse engineered. I don't think they published the specs at that
time.

My memory is confused this moment, because I recall Microsoft liberating
(a year or two ago) the specs for the exfat filesystem, and maybe ntfs.
I'm not sure about the later.

https://blog.desdelinux.net/en/microsoft-permitira-el-uso-de-su-sistema-de-archivos-exfat-en-el-kernel-de-linux/

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-wants-exfat-in-linux-kernel-opens-file-system-specs/

> Try reformatting the flash drive as FAT32 and repeating the test with
> the .prn file.
>

> (*) The correct spelling here in the UK for the noun, whereas license
> (in the UK) is only used for the verb.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1

<97d66hd6a5kbdp05v6qo3fmv5kn22544do@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61869&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61869

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 02:19:02 +0300
 by: micky - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 23:19 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Wed, 20 Apr 2022 20:41:07 +0100, Andy
Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>
>> the printer has a USB Direct port, that, if you put a flashdrive
>> with a .prn file in it, it's supposed to print, but it didn't do a thing
>> when I pressed the button.
>

>Can it do the same trick with .PDF files? Would give you better formatting.

Okay, the first thing I printed wasn't very important, but I think I
have to see a doctor because though I feel fine, once I walk a block,
I"m out of breath, for 45 seconds, and then I'm fine again, until a
block later.

So I looked at my 3 x-rays in the last 8 years and copied the text into
one file to show the doctor, and it's important that that be legible.
(I'll also give him the logon id for the radiology service, which shows
the x-rays and CT themselves.)

So I used OpenOffice, Export to PDF, and printed the pdf file with the
same cmd line as before. And it came out beautiful. Just as it
appeared on the screen.

Then I went back and did the other thing and it came out perfect too. No
lines running off the paper. Regular margins.
BTW, the .prn file for this, one page, was 40 times the size of the
pdf file!!!! 1,722,000 vs. 41,175

NET USE LPT1: \\DESKTOP-HK3M2L4\PrinterName /persistent:yes
PRINT /D:LPT1 c:\data\text\breathing.pdf

Thanks, all.

Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1

<huc66htftkdnjfqi2iq1rc8mqtv5it3uig@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61870&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61870

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 02:24:34 +0300
 by: micky - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 23:24 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Thu, 21 Apr 2022 20:05:26 +0100, "NY"
<me@privacy.invalid> wrote:

>"micky" <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote in message
>
>> BTW, the printer has a USB Direct port, that, if you put a flashdrive
>> with a .prn file in it, it's supposed to print, but it didn't do a thing
>> when I pressed the button. I'm sure the guy who owns this printer never
>> needs to use it!
>
>What are assumed to be the contents of the .prn file? Plain ASCII, or
>formatted data (printer-specific control codes, as generated by a Windows
>printer driver - or even an app-specific driver, as Word Perfect for DOS
>had).
>
>What filesystem did you have on the flash drive? I wonder if it was NTFS?

No, it was the way most come Fat32.

But the printer seems to have several problems. the Copy button is lit,
but pressing the FAX button or Scan button that are right next to it
doesn't light them up. They don't seem to do anything. Sort of like
the Direct USB button does't do anything.

I began to worry that if I ever got the Scan button to light up Scan, I
couldn't get it back to Copy.

And when I press OK, in most situations it says "out of range". Acc to
the manual, that's just for setting the date or time. I can't imagine
the guy who owns it hasn't done that. I can't imagine that I'm doing it.

I met the guy who usually lives in this room and asked if I could use
the printer. And he mentioned some cable problem but didn't suggest
the thing didnt' work.

>Many third party devices (printers, cameras, TVs, PVRs) that read/write data
>to a removable drive insist on it being FAT: most support FAT32 and some
>even support exFAT with its > 4GB file size limit. But NTFS is proprietary
>to Windows, and 3rd-party equipment must pay a licence (*) fee, so most
>don't bother. I've always wondered how Linux manages to provide free NFTS
>support - maybe reverse-engineering without looking at the MS spec?
>
>Try reformatting the flash drive as FAT32 and repeating the test with the
>.prn file.
>

>(*) The correct spelling here in the UK for the noun, whereas license (in
>the UK) is only used for the verb.

I don't think I've ever seen "licence" before.

Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1

<t3vqad$q9q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61871&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61871

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 23:03:40 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 03:03 UTC

On 4/22/2022 7:19 PM, micky wrote:
> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Wed, 20 Apr 2022 20:41:07 +0100, Andy
> Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
>
>> micky wrote:
>>
>>> the printer has a USB Direct port, that, if you put a flashdrive
>>> with a .prn file in it, it's supposed to print, but it didn't do a thing
>>> when I pressed the button.
>>

>> Can it do the same trick with .PDF files? Would give you better formatting.
>
> Okay, the first thing I printed wasn't very important, but I think I
> have to see a doctor because though I feel fine, once I walk a block,
> I"m out of breath, for 45 seconds, and then I'm fine again, until a
> block later.
>
> So I looked at my 3 x-rays in the last 8 years and copied the text into
> one file to show the doctor, and it's important that that be legible.
> (I'll also give him the logon id for the radiology service, which shows
> the x-rays and CT themselves.)
>
> So I used OpenOffice, Export to PDF, and printed the pdf file with the
> same cmd line as before. And it came out beautiful. Just as it
> appeared on the screen.
>
> Then I went back and did the other thing and it came out perfect too. No
> lines running off the paper. Regular margins.
> BTW, the .prn file for this, one page, was 40 times the size of the
> pdf file!!!! 1,722,000 vs. 41,175
>
> NET USE LPT1: \\DESKTOP-HK3M2L4\PrinterName /persistent:yes
> PRINT /D:LPT1 c:\data\text\breathing.pdf
>
> Thanks, all.

Use some tool to look at the PRN file and see what is inside it.

Wordpad can be used when you have no tools at all.

The printer cannot print it, without some way to detect what it is.
This means, something in the first few lines, gives away what it is.

The size tells you it has been converted into a bitmap, but a
bitmap is useless without some amount of other detail (pagesize
or something).

There are some printers that claim to be able to parse a PDF
directly, so you would feed them the 41,175 byte thing and it
would be printed properly for you.

Paul

Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1

<t3vt6v$ag8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61873&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61873

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 23:53:02 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 03:53 UTC

On 4/21/2022 3:05 PM, NY wrote:

> I've always wondered how Linux manages to provide free NFTS support -
> maybe reverse-engineering without looking at the MS spec?

NTFS was cleanroom reverse-engineered and is missing bits of it.
Basic read/write should work. SIDs or compression or Reparse Points
or journaling, might be another matter. There was no public NTFS spec
at the time, for them to read while writing their stuff. All had
to be discovered via testing.

The only different news these days, is Paragon is giving away its
NTFS driver to kernel.org and at least one distro has shipped with
the version of kernel where that was included. I tested it here,
but it did not seem to be ready for prime time (at a guess, the
driver was working better before they fiddled with it). I think I may
have tested the Paragon driver a while back, when it was still
commercial.

And the Linux objectives are not what some people would expect.

Like most OSes, Linux has a stat() call, which returns metadata about
a file. If a foreign filesystem comes along, when you "wire it up",
all you're expected to do is "stuff something into the stat() call".
This means the Windows filenum, ends up used as the Linux inode number.
This allows a person to write some C code, not care what filesystem
they are opening a file on, and the stat() call always has just enough
info to make your program work. This hardly provides a mechanism so
all the features you see in Windows, are magically reproduced in Linux.
That is not the design intent, at all.

No attempt is made to overdo it. There is no Journal broadcast, so
a Linux Search Indexer could index your C: drive. I don't think they
have any support for the Journal at all, except to invalidate it,
so that Windows knows "somebody has been fooling around" and
usage of a journal which is now out-of-sync is not advised.
This also means, taking a dirty file system over to Linux
for a poke, is taking chances, because Windows has not had
time to clean up the file system, before you head over to
Linux.

You have to be aware of some of these limitations, to not be
"pushing your luck" with the pseudo cross-platform stuff.

So if you were running Windows 10, the power goes off, *don't*
boot Linux next. Boot Windows 10 first, wait until it repairs
the file system, then shut down. And boot into Linux. That
reduces your risk to a tolerable level. You started with a clean
file system while entering Linux, and if the Journal gets invalidated,
it's not a big deal then.

Linux has NTFSFIX, which will fix MFTMIRR.

sudo ntfsfix /dev/sda1

Once NTFS has been "repaired" in that way, you can attempt a second
time to gain access. Using their file explorer thingy,
may allow you to access the partition. Otherwise, if you don't fix the
MFTMIRR, you will not be able to gain access.

Linux cannot open C: if Windows 10 was Fast Boot or Window 10 was
hibernated. An OS which was hibernated, has still-open files, and
opening the file system with Linux at that time, would de-synchronize
file system state. Again, you need to go back to Windows, and
make sure your house is in order.

powercfg /h off

After you do that as Admin, entering Linux and using NTFS may
be a little bit easier. You will stop getting complaints about
hibernation at least, but may still need NTFSFIX to carry on.

There are more things to know, to be successful. This is just
a taste.

You can tell I enjoy the roller coaster ride,
when all I wanted to do was use the damn computer.
Things weren't nearly this bad in WinXP era.

Paul

Re: Can I print just using Xcopy filename.prn com1

<k5c76hlqufeiavftrqkkuukcuo4ru4rfum@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61876&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61876

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
References: <n1lt5h1s83ogm80rsetgug8oaui8s2ogjm@4ax.com> <t3mnsa$pmt$1@dont-email.me> <t3mo8v$t2p$1@dont-email.me> <jc89tqFacsrU1@mid.individual.net> <dlst5h9fjblk74lfgjnm0ali6gico2hvnl@4ax.com> <h00u5h9s467ej8iuobg3otu5lpqltiqm9g@4ax.com> <def3ji-tok.ln1@Telcontar.valinor> <bdn06h5s4gp9g6ahtfrqpj51kdjmnv96fc@4ax.com> <jcb5ujFrctlU3@mid.individual.net> <97d66hd6a5kbdp05v6qo3fmv5kn22544do@4ax.com> <t3vqad$q9q$1@dont-email.me>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 10:56:48 +0300
 by: micky - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 07:56 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Fri, 22 Apr 2022 23:03:40 -0400, Paul
<nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>On 4/22/2022 7:19 PM, micky wrote:
>> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Wed, 20 Apr 2022 20:41:07 +0100, Andy
>> Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>>> Can it do the same trick with .PDF files? Would give you better formatting.
>>
>> Okay, the first thing I printed wasn't very important, but I think I
>> have to see a doctor because though I feel fine, once I walk a block,
>> I"m out of breath, for 45 seconds, and then I'm fine again, until a
>> block later.
>>
>> So I looked at my 3 x-rays in the last 8 years and copied the text into
>> one file to show the doctor, and it's important that that be legible.
>> (I'll also give him the logon id for the radiology service, which shows
>> the x-rays and CT themselves.)
>>
>> So I used OpenOffice, Export to PDF, and printed the pdf file with the
>> same cmd line as before. And it came out beautiful. Just as it
>> appeared on the screen.
>>
>> Then I went back and did the other thing and it came out perfect too. No
>> lines running off the paper. Regular margins.
>> BTW, the .prn file for this, one page, was 40 times the size of the
>> pdf file!!!! 1,722,000 vs. 41,175
>>
>> NET USE LPT1: \\DESKTOP-HK3M2L4\PrinterName /persistent:yes
>> PRINT /D:LPT1 c:\data\text\breathing.pdf
>>
>> Thanks, all.
>>

>Use some tool to look at the PRN file and see what is inside it.
>
>Wordpad can be used when you have no tools at all.

With wordpad, most is unprintable, all of it for the first 2 pages, and
the part that isn't is meaningless to me.

I have another common editor that looks at things in hex, bt I can't
remember what it's called. It's not editpad, maybe it's named after
someone??

>The printer cannot print it, without some way to detect what it is.
>This means, something in the first few lines, gives away what it is.
>
>The size tells you it has been converted into a bitmap, but a
>bitmap is useless without some amount of other detail (pagesize
>or something).
>
>There are some printers that claim to be able to parse a PDF
>directly, so you would feed them the 41,175 byte thing and it
>would be printed properly for you.

This is one of them!