Alexander Graham Bell is alive and well in New York, and still waiting for a dial tone.

computers / alt.windows7.general / Map a key to a text string?

SubjectAuthor
* Map a key to a text string?gfretwell
+- Re: Map a key to a text string?R.Wieser
+* Re: Map a key to a text string?VanguardLH
|`* Re: Map a key to a text string?gfretwell
| `- Re: Map a key to a text string?Ken Blake
`- Re: Map a key to a text string?JJ

1
Map a key to a text string?

<76118it9mbs5v91lvbsid1537pk1bjooiq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6188&group=alt.windows7.general#6188

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Map a key to a text string?
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2023 09:40:02 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 13:40 UTC

Back in my old DOS bigot days I had PF keys on my machine remapped to
text strings using the PROMPT command with ANSI.SYS loaded. You could
also append "enter" so a key became a command.
like "prompt $e[0;66;"dir /w/p";13p" would map the F8 key to type "dir
/w/p <enter>"
That does not seem to be an option in Windows at least since Windows
stopped just being a shell over DOS.
Am I missing something?

Re: Map a key to a text string?

<u5q57r$15fr7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6189&group=alt.windows7.general#6189

From: addr...@is.invalid (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Map a key to a text string?
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 16:46:03 +0200
 by: R.Wieser - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 14:46 UTC

G,

> That does not seem to be an option in Windows at least since
> Windows stopped just being a shell over DOS.
> Am I missing something?

see if "doskey /?" gives you options (mine does, but thats under XP).

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Map a key to a text string?

<1olykcbsn392y.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6191&group=alt.windows7.general#6191

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 11:34:06 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 16:34 UTC

<gfretwell@aol.com> wrote:

> Back in my old DOS bigot days I had PF keys on my machine remapped to
> text strings using the PROMPT command with ANSI.SYS loaded. You could
> also append "enter" so a key became a command.
> like "prompt $e[0;66;"dir /w/p";13p" would map the F8 key to type "dir
> /w/p <enter>"
> That does not seem to be an option in Windows at least since Windows
> stopped just being a shell over DOS.
> Am I missing something?

You need a macro tool, like AutoHotkey. Here is a discussion between
users on assigning keystrokes to a F key:

https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=27589
https://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/92083-remapping-f-keys-help/

They have their own peer forums to get help, but there's a learning
curve to AutoHotkey.

Another choice is AutoIt. In addition, some ancilliary software
supplied with programmable mice (with more than 3 buttons) let you
define macros, but that's using button combos of the mouse, not with
remapping Fn keys.

Re: Map a key to a text string?

<qtv18ilq3avd1mri9c2mkdvf9juld3dma2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6201&group=alt.windows7.general#6201

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2023 18:09:05 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 22:09 UTC

OK Thanks. I was just being sure I didn't miss a windows tool. I will
give autohotkey a shot.

On Wed, 7 Jun 2023 11:34:06 -0500, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

><gfretwell@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Back in my old DOS bigot days I had PF keys on my machine remapped to
>> text strings using the PROMPT command with ANSI.SYS loaded. You could
>> also append "enter" so a key became a command.
>> like "prompt $e[0;66;"dir /w/p";13p" would map the F8 key to type "dir
>> /w/p <enter>"
>> That does not seem to be an option in Windows at least since Windows
>> stopped just being a shell over DOS.
>> Am I missing something?
>
>You need a macro tool, like AutoHotkey. Here is a discussion between
>users on assigning keystrokes to a F key:
>
>https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=27589
>https://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/92083-remapping-f-keys-help/
>
>They have their own peer forums to get help, but there's a learning
>curve to AutoHotkey.
>
>Another choice is AutoIt. In addition, some ancilliary software
>supplied with programmable mice (with more than 3 buttons) let you
>define macros, but that's using button combos of the mouse, not with
>remapping Fn keys.

Re: Map a key to a text string?

<hk5sk958st8v$.b9b2nyypb4dm$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6202&group=alt.windows7.general#6202

From: jj4pub...@outlook.com (JJ)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 11:33:00 +0700
 by: JJ - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 04:33 UTC

On Wed, 07 Jun 2023 09:40:02 -0400, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
> Back in my old DOS bigot days I had PF keys on my machine remapped to
> text strings using the PROMPT command with ANSI.SYS loaded. You could
> also append "enter" so a key became a command.
> like "prompt $e[0;66;"dir /w/p";13p" would map the F8 key to type "dir
> /w/p <enter>"
> That does not seem to be an option in Windows at least since Windows
> stopped just being a shell over DOS.
> Am I missing something?

Two problems...

[1] Windows since NT 3.x up to early builds of Windows 10, do not support
ANSI escape sequence. Known third party softwares which can run in Windows 7
are: ANSICON, ConEmu, ConsoleZ, and Take Command Console (or TCC; formerly
4NT).

[2] None of the above mentioned softwares supports the ANSI escape sequence
for the keyboard key reassignment. They all have different set of escape
sequence code support. None of them supports the complete set.

So only other solutions which without using ANSI escape sequence, can be
used. e.g. a keyboard macro tool like as already mentioned: AutoHotkey.

Re: Map a key to a text string?

<imr38ilfgi8iv4at2ao6pf73lgcu3pk2g9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6210&group=alt.windows7.general#6210

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2023 08:08:48 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 15:08 UTC

On Wed, 07 Jun 2023 18:09:05 -0400, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:

>OK Thanks. I was just being sure I didn't miss a windows tool. I will
>give autohotkey a shot.

Here's another recommendation for AutoHotkey. I like it a lot.