Heisenberg may have been here.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Dark Souls III Easy Mode Mod

SubjectAuthor
* Dark Souls III Easy Mode ModJustisaur
+- Re: Dark Souls III Easy Mode Modrms
+* Re: Dark Souls III Easy Mode ModJustisaur
|`* Re: Dark Souls III Easy Mode ModSpalls Hurgenson
| +* Re: Dark Souls III Easy Mode ModJAB
| |`* Re: Dark Souls III Easy Mode ModMike S.
| | `- Re: Dark Souls III Easy Mode ModJustisaur
| `- Re: Dark Souls III Easy Mode ModJustisaur
`* Re: Dark Souls III Easy Mode ModJAB
 `* Re: Dark Souls III Easy Mode ModJAB
  +* Re: Dark Souls III Easy Mode ModDimensional Traveler
  |`- Re: Dark Souls III Easy Mode ModDimensional Traveler
  `* Re: Dark Souls III Easy Mode ModJAB
   `- Re: Dark Souls III Easy Mode ModJAB

1
Dark Souls III Easy Mode Mod

<8e64409a-15f7-43f9-bc69-2f2eb7949b8cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6191&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6191

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 14:43:56 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Dark Souls III Easy Mode Mod
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 22:43 UTC

I'd heard of some game overhaul mods for DS3, and was looking at those and ran across a couple of Easy Mode mods for it.

Here's a link to the one that's most downloaded.

https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls3/mods/755?tab=description&BH=1

Any of you who might want to try out the game but are having trouble or intimidated this might work for you.

There's actually 3 different ones which reduce damage you take 50%, 75%, or 95%.

There's a couple other ones I saw as well that do it a bit differently than that, but this was the most popular.

- Justisaur

Re: Dark Souls III Easy Mode Mod

<sts99t$o0u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6192&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6192

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Dark Souls III Easy Mode Mod
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 16:17:15 -0700
 by: rms - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 23:17 UTC

>https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls3/mods/755?tab=description&BH=1
>Any of you who might want to try out the game but are having trouble or
>intimidated this might work for you.

Nice! Great idea

rms

Re: Dark Souls III Easy Mode Mod

<dc719024-96c9-48a3-a18d-5e2cbd435c38n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6203&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6203

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 15:37:48 -0800 (PST)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 23:37 UTC

On Monday, February 7, 2022 at 8:23:38 PM UTC-8, PW wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Feb 2022 14:43:56 -0800 (PST), Justisaur
> <just...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I'd heard of some game overhaul mods for DS3, and was looking at those and ran across a couple of Easy Mode mods for it.
> >
> >Here's a link to the one that's most downloaded.
> >
> >https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls3/mods/755?tab=description&BH=1
> >
> >Any of you who might want to try out the game but are having trouble or intimidated this might work for you.
> >
> >There's actually 3 different ones which reduce damage you take 50%, 75%, or 95%.
> >
> >There's a couple other ones I saw as well that do it a bit differently than that, but this was the most popular.
> >
> >- Justisaur
> *--
>
> Not sure if I installed it correctly. I did install the ModEngine
> first. A little more confusing to me than DS3EasyMode page
> instructions.
>
> I did find using the keyboard and mouse made the camera less a problem
> before I quit it a while ago. Maybe this mod, if I get it to work,
> will help out with the first boss ("knight").

Glad to help.

There's also a couple total conversion mods. I'm trying Cinders which
has an easier mode as well, but a whole lot of other changes. It
starts you at Firelink where you've got a bunch of vendors and a couple
ways you can go instead of being forced to solo Gundyr right
off the bat. It also adds conjuration summons you can buy so you can
summon a dog or a soldier to help you out, which I've found quite
nice seeing as how it's mostly a bit lonely in many areas, and very
helpful for the distraction to allow me to get my other spells off.

- Justisaur

Re: Dark Souls III Easy Mode Mod

<su02sg$751$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6210&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6210

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 09:52:16 +0000
 by: JAB - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 09:52 UTC

On 07/02/2022 22:43, Justisaur wrote:
> I'd heard of some game overhaul mods for DS3, and was looking at those and ran across a couple of Easy Mode mods for it.
>
> Here's a link to the one that's most downloaded.
>
> https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls3/mods/755?tab=description&BH=1
>
> Any of you who might want to try out the game but are having trouble or intimidated this might work for you.
>
> There's actually 3 different ones which reduce damage you take 50%, 75%, or 95%.
>
> There's a couple other ones I saw as well that do it a bit differently than that, but this was the most popular.

As an aside, I see a Dark Souls RPG is going to be released. Porting
computer games to tabletop games seems more common nowadays. Skyrim the
boardgame anyone and I think Rome Total War

Re: Dark Souls III Easy Mode Mod

<su58t2$lna$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6221&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6221

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 09:05:37 +0000
 by: JAB - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 09:05 UTC

On 10/02/2022 21:00, PW wrote:

> Is that Elden Ring? I read about it in PC Gamer magazine but if it is
> from FromSoftware then I will write it off as too hard for me to
> bother with.
>
> I guess it is supposed to be released on my bday but that is too early
> to buy anything that just got released.
>
> I see the latest Baulder Gate is still in prelease. Alpha, Beta, ...
> have no idea. But I know that with each release you have to start
> over.

Sorry should have made that clearer, they are going to release a
tabletop RPG version of Darksouls based around the D&D 5E ruleset I believe.

Porting of tabletop games to computers has been around basically for
ever but the other way is far less common although not as uncommon as it
used to be so if you like Fallout but want the possibilities that a TT
RPG gives you, well you can now do that. If you prefer a boardgame, well
you can do that as well.

It makes sense really as these are well know IP's and the popularity of
tabletop games has been on the rise for many years. In particular RPG's
(a show called Critical Role which is people playing D&D is a
multi-million done business) and boardgames that are for adults but not
gronads. When I grow up it was all hexes and counters of mostly military
units. It seems the advent of the popularity of Eurogames has changed at
that.

Re: Dark Souls III Easy Mode Mod

<hcjd0hd8209p2f7hrlha4jjr96e7pjlakk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6225&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6225

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 16:10:18 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 21:10 UTC

I'm sorry. I can't resist. I don't actually believe in the thing I'm
about to say next, but I feel an overwhelming urge to say it anyway.

"Git gud, scrub."

Sorry. It was an irresistible meme and seems to be a requirement
anytime there's any sort of discussion about making "Dark Souls"
easier in any way.. In my defense, I did hold out for several days
before giving into the urge. ;-)

Personally, I detest the notion that games should be gatekeepered by
players who insist the only way to enjoy them is to constantly bang
your head against the difficulty curve* until you grind your way to
the finish line. If a cheat code or an 'easy mode' mod or whatever
makes a game more enjoyable for some people, then I've no objection to
them using it (well, in single-player only, obviously). Different
people play games for different reasons, and the challenge of the
experience isn't always their primary interest.

That said, I didn't find "Dark Souls" that difficult, at least not
because of its combat. It's pretty pattern-based and after you figure
out the enemies attacks - and realize you have to be patient with your
own attacks rather than whack at the 'swing sword' button willy-nilly
- the game loses a lot of its intimidation factor. I found its
controls and level design more annoying, especially given how
cumbersome the controls are; half my deaths seemed to be when I fell
off things (I know, I know, 'git gud'!). But it seemed more interested
in being difficult through bad design than offering a fair challenge,
and my interest in the game - and the franchise - is limited.**

I'm not sure an easy-mode would be enough to entice me back to the
game, but if it allows others to keep at it, good for them.

But the meme remains, and I'm not ashamed to have said it. ;-)

-----------------
* Am I mixing metaphors here? I feel like I'm mixing metaphors.

Re: Dark Souls III Easy Mode Mod

<su8391$2mp$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6234&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6234

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 10:48:00 +0000
 by: JAB - Sat, 12 Feb 2022 10:48 UTC

On 11/02/2022 21:10, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> I'm sorry. I can't resist. I don't actually believe in the thing I'm
> about to say next, but I feel an overwhelming urge to say it anyway.
>
> "Git gud, scrub."
>
> Sorry. It was an irresistible meme and seems to be a requirement
> anytime there's any sort of discussion about making "Dark Souls"
> easier in any way.. In my defense, I did hold out for several days
> before giving into the urge. ;-)
>
> Personally, I detest the notion that games should be gatekeepered by
> players who insist the only way to enjoy them is to constantly bang
> your head against the difficulty curve* until you grind your way to
> the finish line. If a cheat code or an 'easy mode' mod or whatever
> makes a game more enjoyable for some people, then I've no objection to
> them using it (well, in single-player only, obviously). Different
> people play games for different reasons, and the challenge of the
> experience isn't always their primary interest.
>
> That said, I didn't find "Dark Souls" that difficult, at least not
> because of its combat. It's pretty pattern-based and after you figure
> out the enemies attacks - and realize you have to be patient with your
> own attacks rather than whack at the 'swing sword' button willy-nilly
> - the game loses a lot of its intimidation factor. I found its
> controls and level design more annoying, especially given how
> cumbersome the controls are; half my deaths seemed to be when I fell
> off things (I know, I know, 'git gud'!). But it seemed more interested
> in being difficult through bad design than offering a fair challenge,
> and my interest in the game - and the franchise - is limited.**
>
> I'm not sure an easy-mode would be enough to entice me back to the
> game, but if it allows others to keep at it, good for them.
>
> But the meme remains, and I'm not ashamed to have said it. ;-)

I can't say I entirely agree. I do agree that players shouldn't dictate
how others enjoy games but I don't find a problem with the notion of
saying how the designers intended the game to be played so maybe someone
is playing the wrong game.

To me there quite a difference between tweaking a game to remove an
aspect a player doesn't like and removing an aspect that can be
considered core to the game design. To take a slightly sideways example,
Disco Elysium. One of the memes in discussions about it is don't 'scum'
save as you'll miss out on part of the enjoyment. I have to agree with
that as if you're used to a typical CRPG then failure is something that
tends to lead to a block in the game. Disco Elysium is a bit different
from that were failure can be seen as helping create the story.

Re: Dark Souls III Easy Mode Mod

<ehef0hhs4b77icmgp1hc3rpiht42637c81@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6236&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6236

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 08:56:00 -0500
 by: Mike S. - Sat, 12 Feb 2022 13:56 UTC

On Sat, 12 Feb 2022 10:48:00 +0000, JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:

>To me there quite a difference between tweaking a game to remove an
>aspect a player doesn't like and removing an aspect that can be
>considered core to the game design. To take a slightly sideways example,
>Disco Elysium. One of the memes in discussions about it is don't 'scum'
>save as you'll miss out on part of the enjoyment. I have to agree with
>that as if you're used to a typical CRPG then failure is something that
>tends to lead to a block in the game. Disco Elysium is a bit different
>from that were failure can be seen as helping create the story.

The only people that should be playing a game the way the game
designers intended are those who are actually reviewing the game.

For everyone else, play it the way you want, period. I mod the shit
out of my games to make them play the way I want them to. The game
designers intentions be damned.

Re: Dark Souls III Easy Mode Mod

<sua2uk$akq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6245&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6245

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 20:54:44 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 04:54 UTC

On 2/12/2022 8:04 PM, PW wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 09:05:37 +0000, JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 10/02/2022 21:00, PW wrote:
>>
>>> Is that Elden Ring? I read about it in PC Gamer magazine but if it is
>>> from FromSoftware then I will write it off as too hard for me to
>>> bother with.
>>>
>>> I guess it is supposed to be released on my bday but that is too early
>>> to buy anything that just got released.
>>>
>>> I see the latest Baulder Gate is still in prelease. Alpha, Beta, ...
>>> have no idea. But I know that with each release you have to start
>>> over.
>>>

>> Sorry should have made that clearer, they are going to release a
>> tabletop RPG version of Darksouls based around the D&D 5E ruleset I believe.
>>
>> Porting of tabletop games to computers has been around basically for
>> ever but the other way is far less common although not as uncommon as it
>> used to be so if you like Fallout but want the possibilities that a TT
>> RPG gives you, well you can now do that. If you prefer a boardgame, well
>> you can do that as well.
>>
>> It makes sense really as these are well know IP's and the popularity of
>> tabletop games has been on the rise for many years. In particular RPG's
>> (a show called Critical Role which is people playing D&D is a
>> multi-million done business) and boardgames that are for adults but not
>> gronads. When I grow up it was all hexes and counters of mostly military
>> units. It seems the advent of the popularity of Eurogames has changed at
>> that.
>
> *--
>
> I don't have anyone to play board games with. That stinks. Well, my
> wife, but she isn't interested. But we do play cribbage all of the
> time!

There is a joke about cabbage patch kids in there somewhere but I just
can't make it jell.

dirty old man.

Re: Dark Souls III Easy Mode Mod

<suaku9$p5$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6249&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6249

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 10:01:44 +0000
 by: JAB - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 10:01 UTC

On 13/02/2022 04:04, PW wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 09:05:37 +0000, JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 10/02/2022 21:00, PW wrote:
>>
>>> Is that Elden Ring? I read about it in PC Gamer magazine but if it is
>>> from FromSoftware then I will write it off as too hard for me to
>>> bother with.
>>>
>>> I guess it is supposed to be released on my bday but that is too early
>>> to buy anything that just got released.
>>>
>>> I see the latest Baulder Gate is still in prelease. Alpha, Beta, ...
>>> have no idea. But I know that with each release you have to start
>>> over.
>>>

>> Sorry should have made that clearer, they are going to release a
>> tabletop RPG version of Darksouls based around the D&D 5E ruleset I believe.
>>
>> Porting of tabletop games to computers has been around basically for
>> ever but the other way is far less common although not as uncommon as it
>> used to be so if you like Fallout but want the possibilities that a TT
>> RPG gives you, well you can now do that. If you prefer a boardgame, well
>> you can do that as well.
>>
>> It makes sense really as these are well know IP's and the popularity of
>> tabletop games has been on the rise for many years. In particular RPG's
>> (a show called Critical Role which is people playing D&D is a
>> multi-million done business) and boardgames that are for adults but not
>> gronads. When I grow up it was all hexes and counters of mostly military
>> units. It seems the advent of the popularity of Eurogames has changed at
>> that.
>
> *--
>
> I don't have anyone to play board games with. That stinks. Well, my
> wife, but she isn't interested. But we do play cribbage all of the
> time!

You could always have a search in your local area for clubs or shops
that host games. Failing that there's a lot of online gaming that now
goes on using virtual tabletops. I play Call of Cthulhu both with my
better half but also using Discord/Fantasy Grounds with a group of
people I've never met in real life.

Re: Dark Souls III Easy Mode Mod

<sucs82$41s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6262&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6262

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 22:18:46 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 06:18 UTC

On 2/13/2022 7:59 PM, PW wrote:

>>> I don't have anyone to play board games with. That stinks. Well, my
>>> wife, but she isn't interested. But we do play cribbage all of the
>>> time!
>>>
>> There is a joke about cabbage patch kids in there somewhere but I just
>> can't make it jell.
> *--
>
> Okay - I don't get it. I was way, way too old for Cabbage Patch Dolls
> when the came out!

Cribbage Patch Dolls? I told you I couldn't make it jell!

dirty old man.

Re: Dark Souls III Easy Mode Mod

<sud4sf$k87$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6265&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6265

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 08:46:06 +0000
 by: JAB - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 08:46 UTC

On 14/02/2022 04:02, PW wrote:

>>> I don't have anyone to play board games with. That stinks. Well, my
>>> wife, but she isn't interested. But we do play cribbage all of the
>>> time!
>>>

>> You could always have a search in your local area for clubs or shops
>> that host games. Failing that there's a lot of online gaming that now
>> goes on using virtual tabletops. I play Call of Cthulhu both with my
>> better half but also using Discord/Fantasy Grounds with a group of
>> people I've never met in real life.
>

> There is a game and hobby store in Bozeman but that is a hour or so
> away from me. It is still in business. But I have never been into it.
> I need to the next time I am there and have time. Usually I stay away
> because it is sort of culture shock to me and that is a good thing
> lol!
>
> I will check out those two you mentioned.
>
> Thanks!

If you looking at boardgames Fantasy Ground isn't the one to go for as
as it's aimed at RPG's. One you might want to look at is Tabletop
Simulator which has a lot of user made content to boardgames online. One
thing to note though it doesn't mean you don't need a copy of the rules
as they are just a online graphical representation of the game.

As for Discord, that's just popular for voice/video as even if a VTT
includes those Discord just tends to be better.

Re: Dark Souls III Easy Mode Mod

<0f99281a-6cab-4d89-96ff-1e27ed7f6afdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6271&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6271

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 08:13:22 -0800 (PST)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 16:13 UTC

On Friday, February 11, 2022 at 1:10:34 PM UTC-8, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> That said, I didn't find "Dark Souls" that difficult, at least not
> because of its combat. It's pretty pattern-based and after you figure
> out the enemies attacks - and realize you have to be patient with your
> own attacks rather than whack at the 'swing sword' button willy-nilly
> - the game loses a lot of its intimidation factor. I found its
> controls and level design more annoying, especially given how
> cumbersome the controls are; half my deaths seemed to be when I fell
> off things (I know, I know, 'git gud'!). But it seemed more interested
> in being difficult through bad design than offering a fair challenge,
> and my interest in the game - and the franchise - is limited.**

That's why I like DS3 best, it's got the least amount of cliff threats and
tortuous level design. That's one of the reasons I stopped replaying
both 1 & 2 though not sure if that's a main reason or a contributing
factor with the servers being down.

- Justisaur

Re: Dark Souls III Easy Mode Mod

<65e9fb71-d83c-4673-a630-470bfc81c78an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6272&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6272

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 08:32:50 -0800 (PST)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 16:32 UTC

On Saturday, February 12, 2022 at 5:56:02 AM UTC-8, Mike S. wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2022 10:48:00 +0000, JAB <no...@co.uk> wrote:
>
> >To me there quite a difference between tweaking a game to remove an
> >aspect a player doesn't like and removing an aspect that can be
> >considered core to the game design. To take a slightly sideways example,
> >Disco Elysium. One of the memes in discussions about it is don't 'scum'
> >save as you'll miss out on part of the enjoyment. I have to agree with
> >that as if you're used to a typical CRPG then failure is something that
> >tends to lead to a block in the game. Disco Elysium is a bit different
> >from that were failure can be seen as helping create the story.
> The only people that should be playing a game the way the game
> designers intended are those who are actually reviewing the game.
>
> For everyone else, play it the way you want, period. I mod the shit
> out of my games to make them play the way I want them to. The game
> designers intentions be damned.

One thing that really irritates me with the community is a lot of people
say stuff like you aren't really getting the dark souls experience if
you summon people to help, or even if you use spells. Those have
both been an integral part of the game since the very beginning, and
my preferred way of playing. If they weren't supposed to be part
of the game then why are they in the game, and a rather big part of it?

Then it seems at least half (90%) of those people, and the people that say
"Git Gud" twink, use glitches, or outright cheat.

I don't see the harm of easing into the difficulty a bit more than any of
the games do. DS2 seems to possibly be a bit better at this, if you
discover the 'intended' path anyway, which I sure didn't my first few
characters, and that's even after playing DS1. This is why I've ended
up using walkthroughs on all of them.

- Justisaur